Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan General Prison Talk General Topics & Discussions dealing with Michigan's Department of Corrections, Probation, laws & legal, etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Michigan topic, post it here!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Donation Award 

Default Can I pay fees and costs through Jpay?

I have my jpay account set up but I do not have my mans mdoc # cuz he has not yet left county for RGC. Does anyone know can I pay on my mans restitution/ court fines via jpay? Also, how do I find out how much he owes because as of now my man nor I know how much he owes.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 AM

I don't know if you can use the Jpay to pay restitution or not. I live in Florida, but for the county he was arrested in, I just looked up the clerk of courts website. The documents for his charges and court fees are accessible to the public. May be different in your state, but worth a try. If it works, you can at least get an idea of what his fees are.
iluvaaron710 (10-19-2010)
Old 10-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhsochar View Post
I don't know if you can use the Jpay to pay restitution or not. I live in Florida, but for the county he was arrested in, I just looked up the clerk of courts website. The documents for his charges and court fees are accessible to the public. May be different in your state, but worth a try. If it works, you can at least get an idea of what his fees are.
I did check the court clerks website and it was on there as public records! Thank you. Though on a portion of his amount is listed due to the victims family still needs to submit their funeral cost and then that amount will be applied too but at least I have a little bit of an idea how much this is going to be. Though I still can not find anywhere online where I can make payments on this amount or where I need to send the payments too.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM

I would call the Court Clerk to see where the payments for his court costs, fines, restitution, etc. should be paid. I suspect that you will be told to send them to the court...

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to jlzkmm For This Useful Post:
iluvaaron710 (10-20-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 06:00 AM

1. If you make a payment at the court house MDOC won't know you did it until you send them a receipt. The court house will apply the money 50/50 to court costs and restitution.

2. If you send a money order to the Central Receipting Office your guy will get to keep the first $50, the rest will go 50/50 to court costs and restitution.

3. If you send the money through jpay there are a bunch of rules like - you can only send $300.00 at a time and you can't send more within 10 days. jpay money goes through the Central Receipting Office.

4. Once either the court costs or restitution is paid the split changes - first $50 to the inmate, the rest will go 50/50 to the inmate and the remaining bill.

Hope this helps,
RA

Last edited by RAJustice; 10-20-2010 at 06:06 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RAJustice For This Useful Post:
iluvaaron710 (10-20-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJustice View Post
1. If you make a payment at the court house MDOC won't know you did it until you send them a receipt. The court house will apply the money 50/50 to court costs and restitution.

2. If you send a money order to the Central Receipting Office your guy will get to keep the first $50, the rest will go 50/50 to court costs and restitution.

3. If you send the money through jpay there are a bunch of rules like - you can only send $300.00 at a time and you can't send more within 10 days. jpay money goes through the Central Receipting Office.

4. Once either the court costs or restitution is paid the split changes - first $50 to the inmate, the rest will go 50/50 to the inmate and the remaining bill.

Hope this helps,
RA
Central Receipting office is in Saginaw correct?

Old 10-21-2010, 07:16 AM

This is the link to the page that has the "how to send money" info...

http://michigan.gov/corrections/0,16...5072--,00.html

Send funds to the address below. YOU MUST INCLUDE THE PRISONER'S NAME AND NUMBER.
Centralized Receipting Office
P. O. Box 700
Freeland, MI 48623-0700
Ph. (989) 695-5811

This is the link to the policy on prisoner funds. I found it helpful.
http://michigan.gov/documents/correc...5_305884_7.pdf

Take Care,
RA
iluvaaron710 (10-21-2010)
Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Donation Award 

Old 10-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Account Closed

Just a word of advice, I don't recommend paying the court costs & restitution directly to the courts because they do not communicate with the MDOC. We found this out the hard way. Mother-in-law made three direct payments that we played hell getting the DOC to acknowledge and credit his prisoner account balance. His balance owed was all jacked up for a long time and I still don't even know if the MDOC actually calculated everything that was paid correctly. I went over every one of his monthly statements with a fine tooth comb and created by own spreadsheet to compare. They certainly have piss poor method of accounting. I found several mistakes that needed to be addressed.

When he first went in, the MDOC actually added another prisoner's restitution to my guy's prisoner account!!!! He had to clear that up and have it removed -- AFTER they had mistakenly applied our money to it.

They also originally had his court costs/fees listed as $1,128 when it was only $128. (I think this was a county court clerk entry error though).

These along with other mistakes along the way really gives me reason to doubt way the MDOC handles money. Pretty scary.

ANY WOO... you are better off just letting the MDOC deduct the fees and restitution because they will continue to charge you until THEY show a zero balance, despite what the courthouse tells you is still owed. The balance amounts always differ between the two because the MDOC only sends payments to the courts in $100 increments. They sit on your money (and probably collect interest) until they get at least $100 before sending it on to the courts.

One last thing....make sure you have your loved one send you the monthly prisoner account statements they get so you can see for yourself what the MDOC is doing with your money. You would be shocked!
Old 10-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Donation Award 

one more question about jpay. I sent my man my first letter via jpay. I just wanted him to know that I knew he was at Jackson and such. Will i be able to see that my man has read my letter or no? Is he able to mail me back thru jpay?

Old 10-30-2010, 10:26 PM
Uh...Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvaaron710 View Post
one more question about jpay. I sent my man my first letter via jpay. I just wanted him to know that I knew he was at Jackson and such. Will i be able to see that my man has read my letter or no? Is he able to mail me back thru jpay?
they do have a Kiosk at receptions to send out up to 10 jpay letters to you. But first he has to sign up for jpay. As far as I understand it...they only have so many minutes each to use the kiosk so I hope he is a fast writer. Hope this helps. You can not get notice of acceptance...only that it was sent. sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to angeltob For This Useful Post:
iluvaaron710 (10-31-2010)
Old 11-02-2010, 02:30 PM

Tim Hope...You are so correct...the communication between the courts and the MDOC is nill. A letter from the courts indicating the payment made and the actual balance is needed for the MDOC to adjust the prisoners account. But that takes alot of time. Having said that, I would still say, direct payment to the court is the best way to elimate the debt. Obvioulsy retianing the paper for such papement is a must. MDOC will not ask the court, nor will they believe a document from you or a prisoner that a payment has been made. Hope this helps..
Old 11-02-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaYooper View Post
nor will they believe a document from you or a prisoner that a payment has been made. Hope this helps..
See DaYooper, that is the hurdle we keep finding ourselves facing in dealing with the DOC. Anywhere else we go in this world a receipt is accepted but because our loved one is an inmate, employees of the DOC assume that we are dishonest. And by assuming that we are dishonest, because all inmates are liars and apples don't fall far from the tree, they allow themselves to disrespect us. When a transportation officer brings in a receipt for gas it is readily accepted so this is not just DOC’s way of doing business. This behavior only applies to inmates, their families and employees who are under some type of suspicion like being “inmate friendly”.

I’m not trying to beat you over the head with this and I am definitely not blaming you. It is very important however to acknowledge the difficulty we have in getting anything done without ruffling feathers or hiring lawyers.

RA
Old 11-02-2010, 05:06 PM

Just another viewpoint ~ Must be we were the only people who didn't have any trouble with paying court costs at the court house and the receipt getting to MDOC and being accepted. My thought was why should I send money to him for the MDOC to take all of it away except for $50, why don't I just go pay the court costs and get it done. We didn't have any problems at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to joyce6850 For This Useful Post:
RAJustice (11-02-2010)
Old 11-03-2010, 06:56 PM

RA...I do understand.....The only reason I would throw this out there is because of experience. I've had had many prisoners walk in my door and said...my people paid this off and it's still on my account and I'm still paying for it!...Hence, MDOC is a non-believer until the court says so....I'm not going defend anyone, but it does have to be that way...the court is the one that flag the account, they are the only ones to say the debt is satified. But once again, this is my humble opinion.