Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 08-19-2010, 09:49 AM

Question The American Bulletin/GSA Remedy /Process for Prison Release

My son is getting sucked in to some UCC filing deal and is insisting he should pay $700 to Joseph Raglan, Secured Party/Creditor of Safeguard Services, Non-assumpsit/TDC PO Box 1321,Roseland, FL to file a laundry list of 114 forms and obtain informational brochures on UCC filings. He claims a man named Willie Rutledge of FL and a man named Les Moffit of CA have successfully used this method to overturn their convictions and are now free. He has sent me dozens of sheets of paper describing how it's supposed to work, and I have found it on the internet. This all sounds extremely suspect to me, but since he's serving life w/o parole, he is clinging to any hope. Can you shed any light on this - is it a long-time prison myth or is there a grain of truth to it? I will need to show him proof, if it is a scam, that no one has successfully been released from prison based on this type of appeal. Appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2010, 09:58 AM

Thanked 3,303 Times in 1,682 Posts

It does not work. Most of the people involved with this or heading it so to speak are in jail themselves. If this was a viable option, everyone would do it. Unfortunately, it will not get him out of jail and it also has a possiblity of getting him more charges. Just google it and you'll find info.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Thanked 1,921 Times in 844 Posts

This is all BS!!!!! No truth to it at all. Jail house myth!!! NO ONE has ever been released due to these bogus filings, and I have a client who was sentenced to 12 years for filing this bogus BS.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado_Lawyer For This Useful Post:
yourself (01-25-2015)
Old 08-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,664 Times in 3,024 Posts

I have heard of this sort of scheme a number of times. There's a guy where my son is that's trying to use that to get his conviction overturned now. My son works in the law library and says that they are instructed to advise inmates against that route but desperate men do desperate things.
I wish I could find you something that you could send to your son discrediting this type of scheme. If nothing else, print out our posts and send those to him. I'll keep looking for you anyway.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Banned

Do a search here at PTO for "UCC" and "sovereignty" you will see the same answers repeated over and over...it is a scam. Interestingly enough there is a Willie L Rutledge in Florida DOC. He is in for life. FLDOC # 641500

Edit- Joseph J Raglan (the same dude-the birthday matches his Facebook with his "company" listed) did almost 5 years in Florida (FLDOC# K58900) for DUI and drug possession. Not trying to say anything, but there is no way in hell I would send 700 dollars to a recently released inmate for "legal fees".

Last edited by Tom_Greene; 08-20-2010 at 09:53 AM..
Old 01-25-2015, 08:08 AM

I was incarcerated for 11 yrs. and heard about this the whole time. I had a buddy in there who studied this constantly. It all sounded good, but my recent research on the web has proved otherwise. What I have found is that this group is anti-government. People have actually gotten in more trouble for filing for this stuff. Your sons best bet is to leave it alone. There is nothing wrong with hope as long as you hope in something that is real. I have been out for just a little over 2 yrs. My hope was to get the job I wanted, and I did just that. I am sorry to hear your son is doing life w/o the possibility of parole. Just be strong for him and do what you can to keep his mind off of it. And whatever you do, don't let him forget that his home is out there with his family and not in there. This will keep him going and keep him strong. Trust me, I know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to STF-5313 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-25-2015), patchouli (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,199 Times in 10,381 Posts

I agree that claims of sovereignty have resulted in federal prison sentences. I was in a courtroom where the defendant told the US District Court judge that he did not have jurisdiction to sentence him. The judge's reply, "keep telling yourself that as you are looking out of the bars in your prison cell".

Frivolous arguments (in the opinion of the judge, which is the only one that matters) often result in over the top, maximum sentences too.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:17 AM
attorney

Thanked 19,683 Times in 7,092 Posts

I'm going to break this down for you in a way you can use it to help your son understand that relief will not come from this.

First, make sure he knows that "UCC" stands for "Uniform Commercial Code", a civil code dedicated to help people who have contractual problems. The breakdown of sections looks like this:
1 General Provisions Definitions, rules of interpretation relevant to all subsequent sections. They have NOTHING to do with international law, criminal law, or anything else
2 Sales of goods
2A Leases of goods - that would be your car lease - see? you know plenty of people involved with the UCC even thought they probably have no clue.
3 Negotiable Instruments Promissory notes and drafts or what's referred to as commercial paper
4 Bank Deposits Banks and banking, check collection process
4A Funds Transfers Transfers of money between banks
5 Letters of Credit Transactions involving letters of credit - note, this involves letters of credit, not letters of anything else.
6 Bulk Transfers and Bulk Sales Auctions and liquidations of assets
7 Warehouse Receipts, Bills of Lading and Other Documents of Title Storage and bailment of goods - got a storage facility? Have a problem with it? It's covered here.
8 Investment Securities Securities and financial assets
9 Secured Transactions - purchase money security interests and the like

When you start seeing a mention of 2 UCC, you can go to that chart and think about what the sales of goods has to do with his position in prison.

Beyond that, sovereignty involves losing your status as a US citizen, declaring yourself an entity unto yourself, and then assuming that you're right in the idea that the US government (or the State) has no ability to charge, convict, or incarcerate a person from another country. You can dispel that idea by asking him to look around him and finding out who he's incarcerated with who is a citizen of another country. He'll find out that there are plenty of legal and illegal aliens in his facility. He'll find out that there are people with dual citizenship in his facility. If not being a citizen of the US meant that a person could escape prosecution and incarceration, then he would find himself surrounded by only US citizens.

Btw, if he says, "oh, that's because there are extradition treaties with those countries" then you might want to inform him that's total BS. What an extradition treaty does is allows the foreign country to legally detain a person and wait until the US comes and gets them when that person commits a US crime. When there's no extradition treaty, the US government tends to go and snatch people from those countries and bring them back for extradition. Then, you might want to mention the VCCR - the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations - something the US signed, but no state signed. States have executed people in violation of the VCCR under the theory that the US government can't tell them what to do as a result of a treaty that that state didn't sign. Might want to look here for a bit of information about how the international community views how the US deals with citizens of VCCR members http://www.internationaljusticeproje...nstruments.cfm

Yeah, we're on the shit list when it comes to international justice for violating the VCCR repeatedly. And, if he denies his US citizenship, he's not a member of the VCCR - he's nothing, with no government to protest, no consulate to visit.

Then, there's the best argument ever for the falibility of this "UCC" theory of emancipation - Bernie Madoff (). He's serving 150 years. He had so much money that there's no way he wouldn't have gotten out by now if this crap worked. He wouldn't have faced trial if this crap worked. There are a ton of others who did major financial frauds- Enron, Worldcom, a few others. YOu can look them up and find out that ever single person convicted in those cases is still serving, and only getting out when they die or expire their sentence. If the really, really rich people don't bother with UCC filings and serve their time - many for the rest of their lives - then why does he think that it'll work for him?

LWOP is tough. There's a reason they refer to it as The Big Bitch. There's no "free pass", let alone for $700 dollars. If he wants to have even a remote shot at getting out decades from now, a few things have to happen. On his side, he needs to realize that he's gotta make himself a poster-boy for allowing optional parole. He does that by doing as much programming as he can, by getting as much education as he can, by getting in as many positive things as he can. He does that through years and years, decades even, of hard work. Send him this book: http://www.amazon.com/In-Place-Justi.../dp/0307264815. Rideau was sentenced to death on Louisianna's death row. He served his time in Angola after his sentence was commuted to life. Life in Angola usually means life. But, he's out now, and that is his story.

You can help by getting involved in organizations like The Other Death Penalty http://www.theotherdeathpenalty.org/ and working towards changing the law.

It is totally understandable that somebody dealing with LWOP will swallow this stuff whole - it's a miracle, "Get Out of Jail Free" card, and the only thing that anybody's holding out to him to get out. The thing of it is, it's a scam. The people who get that money will string him along, milk more money from him, and when they think there's no more money to get from him, will dump him faster than he's ever been dumped before. But, it's hope, HOPE, and you should never underestimate the power of hope, especially for somebody who believes he's in a hopeless situation. So, when you tell him, "no" your hope isn't worth my $700 and getting strung along for years with me paying out more, make sure you replace his hope with something reasonable, something that he can vest in without having that "push off the cliff" that the UCC scam is - where suddenly, after being told, "we're so close right now", he gets silence, and suddenly, inevitably, he knows that everything he invested in that - all the hopes and dreams - all of that is gone over a cliff.

Do replace his hopes with something he can do, something he can vest in. There is hope for LWOP, but it's not in the UCC.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-25-2015), j-grace (01-26-2015), mssirois2u (01-02-2016), sidewalker (07-29-2015), tlk2me (09-16-2015), Zunigene (11-22-2017)
Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

There are quite a few miracle "get out of jail" programs out there. The IRS can't tax your income because when I demanded gold or silver for my federal reserve notes they wouldn't give me any, is one that has gained far more traction than any reasonable person would believe. I was once asked by a reporter what the difference between IRS Checkmate and Checkmate IRS was. My answer, the pocket that the sucker's money ends up in.

One thing for sure, you will have to pay dearly to be let in on the wonderful secret, and when you end up on the wrong side of the criminal justice system, all of the promises you got, "nobody has ever been convicted" (even though the expert served a prison sentence for tax fraud himself) and "we will provide you with defense council" turn out to be just as much of a scam as the program was. If ever the voice telling you "it's too bizarre to be true" should be heeded, this is the time.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:16 PM

My LO has been wanting me to research UCC filings in order to secure his release. I have been having a hard time and have since become very confused. I believe it to be a scam and need to find some information to send him so that he can quit believing that this will bring him home. He wants his Mom to send $5000 to this American Bulletin org. I have been trying to find some info to send him so that he can see that this is just not going to work and that in fact he could be charged additionally should he file these UCC forms. Please help, I know it is too good to be true and I just need to show him that this isn't the way home.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Here's what the Treasury Department says about the UCC Fraud scheme. It promises many things, including a get out of prison card and a lifelong exemption from paying any taxes, but only delivers grief.

http://www.treasury.gov/about/organi...ht-Drafts.aspx

and
http://www.treasury.gov/tigta/factsh...n_Citizens.pdf

All this scheme will do, after seriously lightening your bank account, is to put him at risk for a new federal fraud prosecution. When it first started, "members" would send the IRS and state governments bogus drafts for millions of dollars, and for a short while some of them even received refunds for their "overpayments" (followed shortly by an indictment and prosecution).

Do an internet search for IRS fraud schemes and/or UCC fraud schemes too.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:34 PM
attorney

Might also want to do a PACER search for Robert Kelly, though a general internet search will do - he's been convicted of scamming lots of people out of lots of money.

Who's Robert Kelly? He's the guy who owns American's Bulletin.

And even Wikipedia has information about UCC scams, so you can look there, too.

My arguments a couple of posts above this still hold true.

God, I hate this UCC scam - the offender stays in prison, but his loved ones, who are always the ones who can least afford it, are lighter by thousands of dollars.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (07-28-2015), LifeTraveler (07-28-2015), sidewalker (07-29-2015), turtlelvr (07-30-2015)
Old 10-19-2017, 01:43 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiesmom View Post
My son is getting sucked in to some UCC filing deal and is insisting he should pay $700 to Joseph Raglan, Secured Party/Creditor of Safeguard Services, Non-assumpsit/TDC PO Box 1321,Roseland, FL to file a laundry list of 114 forms and obtain informational brochures on UCC filings. He claims a man named Willie Rutledge of FL and a man named Les Moffit of CA have successfully used this method to overturn their convictions and are now free. He has sent me dozens of sheets of paper describing how it's supposed to work, and I have found it on the internet. This all sounds extremely suspect to me, but since he's serving life w/o parole, he is clinging to any hope. Can you shed any light on this - is it a long-time prison myth or is there a grain of truth to it? I will need to show him proof, if it is a scam, that no one has successfully been released from prison based on this type of appeal. Appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you.
it is not entirely a lie. its just that people will get a little info and then run with it, try to make money off of other peoples misery. the process does not require all of that. i will not share it because God has a plan for each of his children. when you are in jail you are there to learn. but only if you can stay away from distractions [T.V. etc...] and sit quietly and pray then meditate to receive the answer.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Ex-Prisoner & ACLU Intern
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,059 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by berg ice View Post
it is not entirely a lie.
Then name one single case where it has ever worked.

Just one.

We'll be patiently waiting...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
CenTexLyn (10-20-2017), Patrickj (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 02:58 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
Then name one single case where it has ever worked.

Just one.

We'll be patiently waiting...
for one, it is not something that you file into the courts. Two, if ever it were, it would be handled quietly [not in a court room] and then sealed, put someplace to be forever "UN-found". to truly understand such a notion that is truly a reality, you MUST always start from the beginning to understand what you are dealing with. If I were you I would start with the constitution. Its' language is plain and simple for the most part. for the other parts, into phrases, do research. It is so easy. This is the "place" where the delegation of powers are born. The power of one to affect anthers' [liberties] is based on the ignorance of its' intended victim...

Last edited by berg ice; 10-19-2017 at 03:05 PM..
Old 10-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Donation Award 

Wow, that is truly remarkable. I've never heard of becoming a sovereign citizen without going through the courts... please, tell us more.

I always thought you had to try to convince a judge that you were "immune from this nation's laws" so that the court no longer had "jurisdiction" over you and you would be instantly released from prison once the judge saw the errors of his ways.

It sounds like you're talking more about some secret filing scheme? What are we talking about here? Secret courts? Secret constitution? We need to get this information out there so that we can empty every jail and prison once and for all!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,479 Times in 10,033 Posts

Another secret society, another 'deep state' sort of thing? Bosh!
Patrickj (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Donation Award 

Wink

Sometimes if you can't get things done through the regular state, you have to petition the `deep state' in their secret courts to get your secret filings sealed and "UN-found" once and for all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nickel Timer For This Useful Post:
Patrickj (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 03:48 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel Timer View Post
Wow, that is truly remarkable. I've never heard of becoming a sovereign citizen without going through the courts... please, tell us more.

I always thought you had to try to convince a judge that you were "immune from this nation's laws" so that the court no longer had "jurisdiction" over you and you would be instantly released from prison once the judge saw the errors of his ways.

It sounds like you're talking more about some secret filing scheme? What are we talking about here? Secret courts? Secret constitution? We need to get this information out there so that we can empty every jail and prison once and for all!
sovereign is not something you become. "it" is to be exercised. the system has no secrets. its in the law books. Its just spread out over so far that true determination would be the only remedy to wield its fruits. Jurisdiction simply means "the authority to act". the system is deep but not secret. As far as getting people out, I do not agree. violent? no no. some non violent? yes and maybe.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:05 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

For the past 30 or so years, federal law enforcement has been imprisoning lots of "sovereign citizens" for felony financial crimes, so they ended up in court whether they planned to be there or not. Google "sovereign citizens convicted" to find numerous news articles about many of them.

The first result is a very recent FBI article:
Sovereign Citizens Sentenced — FBI
https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/sov...zens-sentenced

The scam that first got them noticed was over false federal tax returns. They fabricated tax withholding, etc. and then claimed multi-million dollar refunds. Naturally the IRS paid a number of them before someone figured out that they had been robbed, but they then sent agents all over the country to try to intercept the payments. Keystone kops in action.

Last edited by fbopnomore; 10-19-2017 at 07:22 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
Nickel Timer (10-19-2017), Patrickj (10-19-2017), yourself (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,479 Times in 10,033 Posts

It apparently is not in the law books, because the courts keep denying it. If you're referring to the UCC section of the law, that theory has been shot down over and over again because it the COMMERCIAL CODE not the criminal code.
fbopnomore (10-20-2017), Patrickj (10-19-2017), yourself (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 07:39 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,598 Times in 791 Posts

Sovereign citizen Here we go again with this topic. Let me dig up the same information again for those of you that think Sovereign Citizenship is you fix all dream. Here is a old article from the FBI and what how the identify them
Domestic Terrorism
The Sovereign Citizen Movement

Here is what a criminal trial expert say about using sovereign-citizen language in court.
David Fussell, a criminal trial expert based in Orlando, told News 13 that Loyd using sovereign-citizen language in court will have no effect on his conviction or defense. ... But in criminal court, what usually ends up is they end up in jail, prison.Mar 3, 2017 This is the article in which he is referring to
Y’all can’t do nothing to me,’ accused cop killer tells judge, using ‘sovereign citizens’ defense
Here is a little something for you also
Without Prejudice What Sovereign Citizens Believe
You may want to review this Thread here also http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=704698
Now for my view on this group they are a group that locks up the court calendar with frivols B.S law suites. The IRS and other agencies will monitor all of your actions should you join this group or associate with high ranking member
For those of you that really don't have much to do and want to read 40 + pages in a law review on this group
SOVEREIGN CITIZENS: A REASONED RESPONSE TO THE MADNESS

Last edited by Patrickj; 10-19-2017 at 08:28 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Patrickj For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-20-2017), GingerM (10-20-2017), maytayah (10-20-2017), Nickel Timer (10-19-2017), nimuay (10-19-2017), yourself (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 06:05 PM
attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by berg ice View Post
it is not entirely a lie. its just that people will get a little info and then run with it, try to make money off of other peoples misery. the process does not require all of that. i will not share it because God has a plan for each of his children. when you are in jail you are there to learn. but only if you can stay away from distractions [T.V. etc...] and sit quietly and pray then meditate to receive the answer.
Wow, such logic!
Sovereign works, but you can't use it because you are supposed to be in prison

By that logic, my law school education was bunk because it didn't cover soveriegn and I was supposed to be in law school, sweating it all out.

And I'm supposed to be charging you or your family up the wazoo because you're supposed to be sweating a prison sentence and supporting me.

Sovereign is bunk. Total and thorough crap. Ask Wesley Snipes. Ask any of the multimillionaires who will never get out of prison because they are serving hundreds of years in prison.

Want to earn the ire of the court? Try something as stupid and pointless as sovereign.

Berg, don't offer legal advice. At best it's useless. At worst, you're just going to make things worse for people. Quit tormenting people who are in difficult situations.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
CenTexLyn (10-20-2017), nimuay (10-20-2017), Patrickj (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Definitely ignore any advice given by our sovereign citizen promoter. One other consideration before joining up is that you will be expected to spend a lot of money to "be schooled" in the program. The diploma is a prison sentence (google "sovereign citizens convicted" to see for yourself).

I will always remember the advice given to a group of sovereigns who were on their way to federal prison for financial crimes.

Sovereign: I am a sovereign citizen, so you do not have jurisdiction over me.
Judge: Keep reminding yourself of that while you are looking out the barred window of your prison cell.

Sovereign: I didn't say you can't sentence me to prison, only that the US Courts don't have jurisdiction over me.
Judge: and what exactly is your point?
Old 11-06-2017, 03:58 PM

Thanked 1,547 Times in 502 Posts

For some entertaining spare time viewing, search YouTube for in-court videos of this silliness.

The premise is dismissed as quickly as it would be if you were to claim to be from Mars. And the people trying to make it work look about as sensible as they would taking the Mars approach.

It really is funny.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (11-06-2017)