Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Donation Award 

Default Can Restitution Be Reduced?

i apoligize if there is already a thread in regards to this question , if so i couldnt find it .

my husband owes approximately 37,000 in restitution. Is there any way i can petition to get it reduced. Unfortunetley his "victim" has died of his wounds from a different matter that has nothing to do with the so called incident that my husband was charged with. If any body can please help me with any information as to who or where i can contact someone regarding the restitution or if it can even be reduced. It would be
greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2010, 11:47 PM

I would be interested in the same sort of information. We just got a huge restitution bill that we want to fight/contest. If it cant be reduced and we make payments through probation and its not paid off what happens? At this rate it will take years and years for us to pay this...so frustrating.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:40 PM

Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,467 Posts

For an introduction to the topic, see Chapter 40 of California Criminal Law: Procedure and Practice published by The Continuing Education of the Bar. You'll find it at your nearest law library, or it can be purchased online from CEB.
If you can find an issue to litigate, you'd probably have to do it via Writ at this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartinez View Post
i apoligize if there is already a thread in regards to this question , if so i couldnt find it .

my husband owes approximately 37,000 in restitution. Is there any way i can petition to get it reduced. Unfortunetley his "victim" has died of his wounds from a different matter that has nothing to do with the so called incident that my husband was charged with. If any body can please help me with any information as to who or where i can contact someone regarding the restitution or if it can even be reduced. It would be
greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Gryphon; 08-11-2010 at 12:41 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gryphon For This Useful Post:
Mrs.760 (08-15-2010), mrsmartinez (08-11-2010)