Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Washington General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Washington that do not fit into any other Washington subforum.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 AM

Default Jobs for felons in western Washington?

So my names Charle and I'm 23 and I've been to prison twice nearly 3 time I got out of it the 3rd time by getting residential dosa which actually changed my life because I'm clean from meth now. But my question is anyone who is or has been in this position know of anyone in the pierce county area that is understanding enough to hire felons. I mean I've been struggling over 2 years now and I haven't messed up in the least but being broke like this is rough and nobody ever calls me back in regards to jobs so any info would be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 AM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts

Worksource has job counselors that work with felons in finding a job. Some DOC field offices have Worksource counselors.

Many temp services will hire felons depending on the crime of conviction. There are very few temp services which will use sex offenders.

If you want to get hired you must be up front about your convictions and current status with the interviewer. If they have to pry it out of you - forget about getting hired. If you are uncomfortable about filing out the criminal convictions part of the job application just say "Yes" and "Will discuss". Offer the name and card of your Community Corrections officer for them to get any additional information. The more up front you are the better chance you will have of getting hired.

And don't forget that employers are eligible for Tax Credit for hiring felons. If a performance Bond is needed there are special programs for offenders to get bonded.

You may also consider going to College to get new skills. There are grants available to felons. Contact the financial aid office at your local college.

And finally, in WA you cannot be asked about convictions beyond 10 years. If your conviction was 11 years ago the answer to Convictions is "None".
Old 08-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Donation Award 

Charlie, good luck with implementing some of Phil's suggestions. Also, congrats for continuing to live a clean and sober life.
-Matthew 25:36