Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:18 AM

Default In Search of scared straight program

I am in search of a "scared straight" type program for teen boys. My friend has a 14 yeard old that is disrespectful, rude. He is physically violent. He has no manners. When his mother attempts to disclipine him - he either hurts her or the police get called or both but nothing seems to come from it. He has just been introduced to the legal system, he now has at least one misdemeanor charge if not more. Please, if anyone knows of any programs out there like this - please contact me at (use PM to contact - email addresses may not be posted)

Thank you so very much!

Last edited by PhilB; 08-04-2010 at 05:24 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 AM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts

I am not familiar with these programs but HERE is the results from a Google seach which might help.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiechick1088 View Post
I am in search of a "scared straight" type program for teen boys. My friend has a 14 yeard old that is disrespectful, rude. He is physically violent. He has no manners. When his mother attempts to disclipine him - he either hurts her or the police get called or both but nothing seems to come from it. He has just been introduced to the legal system, he now has at least one misdemeanor charge if not more. Please, if anyone knows of any programs out there like this - please contact me at (use PM to contact - email addresses may not be posted)

Thank you so very much!
I see where you come from Mesa, Az. There is a town thats 1-2 hours away its called Blythe, CA. Its 10-15 minutes from AZ board. They have a scared straight program there. They take them to Prison Ironwood... I believe the scared straight program is conducted by the sherriffs department.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Down to Ride
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,841 Times in 2,447 Posts

Sounds like a great idea, I have a smartass 15 year old my damn self. Sounds like a great idea.

Its hurting you, but its killing me.....

Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Account Closed

San Quentin has one called SQUIRES

http://www.cityyouthnow.org/programs/squires

http://www.childtrends.org/Lifecours...sanquentin.htm

Last edited by agnetta; 08-04-2010 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: add links
Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Banned

Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,147 Posts

I would check into the marchman act I don't know if it applies or they have it where you are.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Default Scared Straight Programs

I tto am looking for the same type of program for my 17 year old son who has 4 felony counts on his record. I'm located in California, but if you find any programs could you please let me kn, and I will do the same. Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiechick1088 View Post

Thank you so very much!
Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Try your local Sheriff's office and your state's prison board. Sometimes, it's better to get a family member, church member, local motocycle club, big brothers, big sisters. I belong to a motocycle club, and that is part of outreach. Some of my biking brothers have reached kids that the cops, programs, & others haven't been able to make a break through.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
16 Rejoice always, 17 pray continually, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrszrod For This Useful Post:
hockeystick2010 (01-28-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 AM

Thanked 7,450 Times in 2,602 Posts

I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of these kinds of programs. I think it is better to sit the teens down and have a frank conversation with them about the consequences of sex and drugs. "Scaring somebody straight" with claims that can be proven false and intended to frighten might breed contempt and rebellion.

I hope you find a program that will relay your personal views of morality and crime. I personally think it is better coming from the horses mouth instead of relying on others to educate our children.

That being said, I know there is a breaking point when parents feel outside intervention is needed and that's ok too. I'm just putting another viewpoint out for consideration.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:16 AM

I would be interested in seeing the actual success rates of these programs. There is a follow up DVD to the original scared straight. The boys are now grown men and the outcome didnt seem to be that different than those who hadn't done the program. I do respect what the inmates are doing. Its great they are using their time for good. I think my husband would like a chance to help a kid on his same path, but Im not conviced intimidation is the answer.

Last edited by k8bryan477; 01-29-2011 at 08:19 AM..
Old 01-30-2011, 02:14 AM

I don't know if any of you have found a solution to troubles with teenagers but i'll throw what I did into the hat for anyone to think about. I only had to do this once with my oldest son. He was taller and bigger than I was. He never hit me but he threatened me a lot and I was getting no help from any programs in this small town.

I learned this from a "child protective services" worker. As a parent you must provide your child with 3 things. 1) a roof over their head, 2) appropriate clothing for the seasons, 3) adequate food for dietary needs. Everything else we give them is extra. Now here is how you use this list of 3 things.
1) a roof over their head = this does not mean a room to themselves if they do not deserve it. They can be taken out of their own room and made to sleep in the living room.
2) adequate clothing for the seasons = does not mean it has to be new or name brand, or the colors they want to wear ) You can buy them clothing from a second hand store or from a yard sale. It just has to be the right size and the right type for the season. It doesn't have to be bright with logos and other things. It can be plain.
3) adequate food to meet dietary needs = They can either eat what you fix them or they can refuse it. If you put it in front of them and they refuse it, you are still providing a meal for them. It doesn't have to include anything they like. It just has to be nutritious ) Liver, spinach, and plain noodles meet that requirement. However some adults won't eat those things either. So it has to be a meal that you would eat, but it doesn't have to be anything they like.

I showed my son the 3 items that I have to provide for him and then I explained what they meant. He didn't quite get it. So I emptied his room of all it's belongings. I boxed them up and put them in the garage. I gave him back his bed, his dresser, and his school stuff. For clothing I gave him back everything that he didn't particularly want to wear. I then took him to salvation army to get a pair of shoes that were not name brand as well as some other plain clothes. I then told him that he could get back his stuff by doing good deeds around the house and behaving.

I will forewarn anyone who tries this: They do not like this and it will make for a few tense days. Also if you can store their stuff at someone else's place that you trust but they don't have access to that would be best. It takes a while to do and if they borrow stuff from friends you have to get them to take it back. They have a right to privacy so don't remove the door. If they break the door then it is up to them to replace it. I even hired a babysitter when I couldn't be home. Her only job was to make sure he stayed in the house. My son went from being on the path to prison to being a lot more respectful around the house and to other people. It didn't happen overnight, but neither did the bad behavior that lead to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GRMsflirt For This Useful Post:
mija0107 (01-30-2011)
Old 01-30-2011, 07:09 AM
Its us against the world

Thanked 4,170 Times in 2,322 Posts

What about the one on A & E? Maybe they can do one in your area and your kids can be involved.

*I know it's not easy, bein away from tha 1 u luv, some days seem almost unbearable, but b4 u close ur eyes at night, smile cuz ur 1 day closer 2 tha day ur incarcerated 1 will be home*

His Queen..forever & always..beyond Life