Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 07-22-2010, 02:07 PM

Default Protective Custody

I'm totally devistated right now, my biggest nightmare about this whole ordeal has come true. My son has been in prison for less than a week, and I just receive a letter from him today telling me that somehow the word got around that he was in for a sex offense, and he was jumped by two guys. He said he was okay...there were no marks or anything (his words....???), and is now in protective custody, but he doesn't know for how long or what will happen next. I'm terrified for his safety.

Does anyone know anything about protective custody? Will he be staying there for only a certain period of time, and if he's let back out in the general population...would they make sure he be safe? If word has gotten around in this prison, will he be in danger in any other prison he could be sent to as well? I'm so lost, I don't know if there is anyone at the prison I can contact or anything (he's in receiving), and I'm so scared that he's going to be a target for the other inmates to attack. Is the prison required to keep him safe? Is there anything I can do?

I feel so alone and scared right now that I can't think straight. My son doesn't deserve all this, he's really a good kid who just made one very serious mistake.

alostmom
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 02:33 PM

Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,656 Posts

alostmom, I would call the prison he is at as soon as possible and ask to speak with his counselor and ask all of these questions. In AZ, he wouldn't have been in general population. Anyone I have heard of here who has gone into pc has stayed until their release but then again, I don't know about Washington. Bless your heart, I'll be praying for his safety!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandymoo For This Useful Post:
alostmom (07-22-2010), CCmom (07-24-2010)
Old 07-22-2010, 02:33 PM
My Lovely Son

Thanked 2,126 Times in 794 Posts

If he's in receiving, I believe he can request to stay in protective until he is moved. Tell him to do whatever he has to do to stay there...go to medical for anxiety anything to keep him out of general population until he's moved. My son told me that the sex offenders in the prison he is in are seperated from the other inmates...they have there own dorm basically so they are safe.

Yes, I do believe it did happen in receiving because everyone is bunched together until they are moved but I think he'll be ok in prison. Does anyone else know about the prisons in Alostmom's area?

My prayers are with you {{{HUGS}}}
alostmom (07-22-2010)
Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Thanked 1,192 Times in 352 Posts

I'm so sorry this has happened. You said that your son is in receiving, so he must not be at the unit he will be assigned to. If it's handled in your state, the way it is in Texas, he will be in a unit with others who have similar charges. My son was in for a sexual offense and he didn't have any problems regarding his charge. I believe that things will get better for your son once he is assigned to a permanent unit. Someone else should come along who can answer your questions about protective custody. You and your son are in my prayers.
The Following User Says Thank You to believenHim For This Useful Post:
alostmom (07-22-2010)
Old 07-22-2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone, I'm trying so hard not to panic but this whole thing is just making me sick. I did call the prison and they transferred me around a bit, and by the time I got to the person I could talk to, I got an answering machine. I've left my name and number and hope someone gets back to me soon, this is so hard! My son is not violent at all, that's what makes this so sickening to me.

I hope they can keep him in the protective custody, or move him to where the other inmates have similar charges...I heard that receiving is the worst but was hoping they'd somewhat separate the prisoners with sex charges if things were really that dangerous for them. Why put him with the general population? I just don't get it. He sounded really scared in his letter to me, I just hope he stays there in protective custody or gets moved somewhere safe. He's said he could be in Shelton for up to 3 months before getting moved.

alostmom
Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM
<3

From wat i kno once they hit PC they wont let him bak in2 GP bcuz of safety precautions.. He can say he's afraid for his life or sum like dat...
Old 07-22-2010, 04:26 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to your son. PC is basically being in the "hole." So depending on where he is - he is probably in lock down pretty much all the time. Put up a post in the state where he is - and specifiy the facility - and hopefully you can get some answers specific to his situation.

I have heard in some facilities: they eat in the cell. They can be alone or have a celli. They may not get to shower every day. I think it's like begin in seg (segregation) - what little privileges they had are taken away. But since your son did not start anything - he may be getting better treatment - let's hope!!!

Keep us posted and let him know he's got a mom and a whole bunch of other moms/ladies thinking about him!!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this has happened to your son. PC is basically being in the "hole." So depending on where he is - he is probably in lock down pretty much all the time. Put up a post in the state where he is - and specifiy the facility - and hopefully you can get some answers specific to his situation.

I have heard in some facilities: they eat in the cell. They can be alone or have a celli. They may not get to shower every day. I think it's like being in seg (segregation) - what little privileges they had are taken away. But since your son did not start anything - he may be getting better treatment - let's hope!!!

Keep us posted and let him know he's got a mom and a whole bunch of other moms/ladies thinking about him!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 04:38 PM
My Lovely Son

When my son was in county, the very first arrest several years ago, it was a 30 day sentence. Someone was trying to fight him and he requested to be in protective the last week he was there....He isn't a fighter either. He will fight back if he has to, he's a big kid but to avoid any further days added on to his sentence he did say he feared for his life. That's how he just got moved to a different dorm where he's at now, on a different thread I started today, he told them he felt his life was in danger.

When they are in receiving I think is the hardest part. That is the time you can't find out anything or get the proper information. Hopefully he won't be there long. My son was only in receiving I believe 30 days.

Please try not to worry so much, I know it's easier said but you will worry yourself sick. I'm pretty sure he'll stay in PC while he's in there. Other inmates will tell him how to go about things like that...show him the roaps. There are only a few select inmates that have nothing to loose that want to start trouble with sex offenders. Like I said once he's in prison I believe he'll be in a dorm with other sex offendes to be safe.
Stay Strong!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 05:03 PM
waitingformydaughter

Thanked 3,834 Times in 1,390 Posts

I hope you get your answers soon.I'm in Az. also, so I'm not familar with rules in WA. .I have heard that often these offenders are housed together seperately so that the are no problems.I hope there is a resonable solution that does not result in your son spending a lot of time in isolation.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 PM

I got a letter today from my boyfriend saying the same except it wasn't about his offence he didn't tell me why and I'm worried sick
Quote:
Originally Posted by alostmom View Post
I'm totally devistated right now, my biggest nightmare about this whole ordeal has come true. My son has been in prison for less than a week, and I just receive a letter from him today telling me that somehow the word got around that he was in for a sex offense, and he was jumped by two guys. He said he was okay...there were no marks or anything (his words....???), and is now in protective custody, but he doesn't know for how long or what will happen next. I'm terrified for his safety.

Does anyone know anything about protective custody? Will he be staying there for only a certain period of time, and if he's let back out in the general population...would they make sure he be safe? If word has gotten around in this prison, will he be in danger in any other prison he could be sent to as well? I'm so lost, I don't know if there is anyone at the prison I can contact or anything (he's in receiving), and I'm so scared that he's going to be a target for the other inmates to attack. Is the prison required to keep him safe? Is there anything I can do?

I feel so alone and scared right now that I can't think straight. My son doesn't deserve all this, he's really a good kid who just made one very serious mistake.

alostmom
Old 07-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,452 Times in 999 Posts

I am so sorry this happened to him. ((((HUGS))) I believe that once he is PC he will stay there. I think once he gets sent to his home prison he will be placed on the "special needs" yard which usually is reserved for sex offenders, inmates that denounced their gangs, and anybody with serious developmental delays. He should be safe there. It really makes me angry that sex offenders are targeted like they are in prison. I mean really, everybody there is there for committing a crime... so who has the right to judge the crimes of their fellow inmates? It is disgusting imo. Tell him he has a bunch of women out here who care about him and hope he stays safe. He can also request to stay in PC, which he needs to do now that the "word is out" on his conviction.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelio View Post
I got a letter today from my boyfriend saying the same except it wasn't about his offence he didn't tell me why and I'm worried sick
It's so hard not to worry, I totally can relate.

I've written my son back, I want him to be reassured that he does have a family that cares deeply about him in case he needs emotional support to help him get through this...he sounded really scared in his letter. I hope to hear from him again soon with maybe more details.

The prison never did call me back, so I'm trying again tomorrow, I hope talking to someone will ease my mind a bit...that is, if they're not like the people in the county jail who basically told me they could tell me nothing, my son would have to tell me. Kind of hard when you can't call and have to wait several days for the mail to get back and forth...

alostmom
Old 07-22-2010, 05:42 PM

Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,656 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelio View Post
Welcome, michelio. I'll be praying for your boyfriend's safety. Orange is my husband's home town-we used to live there. Glad you've found us!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Old 07-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Survivor and Thriver!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,189 Times in 2,979 Posts
Default PC is not the hole or like the hole

It is separated quarters from the general population for sex offenses (if requested); high profile offenders (famous people, big headline offenses); cops, judges, COs put in prison-you get the idea-it is not the hole and is not punitive in any way.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momma Ann For This Useful Post:
bumblebee37 (07-23-2010), CDCsMom (07-25-2010)
Old 07-22-2010, 06:29 PM
My Lovely Son

Hopefully you will find something out...it is hard in receiving. But be assured as long as he's in PC, he might be boared to death but he's safe. When you call, I know at receiving they can be rude too. Tell them you received a letter that your son is in PC that he was jumped and who would you talk to for some general information.

Let us know if you find out anything... {{{HUGS}}}
Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Bars cannot keep out God

Thanked 21,787 Times in 6,014 Posts

my son also said the sex offenders were kept together but seperate from the general pop. what bugs me is how people find out what others are in for?? sheesh. when you are in prison you are already being punished, why do these inmates make each other's lives even more miserable?
((HUGS)) because I know you are worried. it is good he is in protective custody til they figure a good spot for him to be.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:02 PM
My Lovely Son

Quote:
my son also said the sex offenders were kept together but seperate from the general pop. what bugs me is how people find out what others are in for??

It is for there safety, I do agree with it. I've heard many ugly things before they started seperating them. Sooner or later the other inmates would find out then they wouldn't be safe if they weren't seperated.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,625 Times in 1,768 Posts

Michelio, I am too very sorry this happened. THis type of information HAS to come from a CO/guard. No one else could possibly see that type of information. I think they let this information out just to start crap. The DOC should investigate these leaks and fire on the spot. They are putting lives at risk. Now that he is in PC, he should be safe. Please know that God is with him and will watch over him and we will be here to watch over you (oh, and GOD too ) Welcome to PTO......

Diane

People that matter don't mind, and People that mind don't matter!
Old 07-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Donation Award 

Hon..I'm so sorry. I will include your baby in my prayers tonite
Old 07-23-2010, 12:14 AM

Thanked 13,500 Times in 3,513 Posts

It will get better when he is out of R&D. Don't worry, he will be placed with others in the same catagory~and I do not mean anything mean.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Peace Comes from Within

Thanked 1,431 Times in 771 Posts

I guess PC must vary by state. In my son's prison it is like ad-seg with limited phone because the phone must be brought to them. They have limited time out of the cell for showers, etc. Eventually they try to return people to GP depending on the circumstances and the danger. Sometimes there is just a change of tier location, sometimes there is a change of prison. My son's current cellie has a sex offense and he has spent over ten years in the system. He said it used to be much worse years ago. Now CO's must try to eliminate as much as possible the inmate on inmate violence. Sex offenders, except for those in a treatment facility, are in with the general population as much as possible and the CO's are responsible for their safety. My son is in a medium custody facility and their movement is tightly controlled. Even in the minimum custody camps which are dorm style the movement is more controlled than years ago. Anyone with a sex offense will be in medium custody even if their classification is minimum. When my son was in reception he was very, very psychotic from his meds getting screwed up in county. He couldn't remember his whole name or where he was. He got beat up by a CO that thought he was being a jerk by not responding to his name. Halfway through the beating another CO read his paperwork and realized he was "special needs" and they sent him to a home prison before the end of twenty-four hours. We found this out because we knew someone who worked there and they were checking on him. Of course, nobody would testify to it. They had him checked out by medical and we voiced our concerns without accusing anyone. So difficult to bite your tongue and just try to get your loved one decent treatment.

Unfortunately, what my son has seen is that some of the CO's especially the old-timers are the ones that instigate the inmates to harass others. I'm sure that your son will be ok once he gets to his home prison.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:16 AM

I spent 3 years inside for a drug offense and during that time became very involved in (for lack of a better way to put it) prison politics. I was part of an inmate committee that met with the Warden of the facility monthly, the Commissioner Of Corrections quarterly and state senators and others as needed to address specific issues (such as budget cuts that affect the safety and security for both inmates and staff. The reason for this background info is that I wanted you to know that I had the opportunity to “represent” fellow inmates as a whole and was often confided in by my peers regarding things like PC (Protective custody), and many other things. I learned a great deal about the subject.
When someone PC’s or is “administratively pc’d” they generally go to a rather uncomfortable place for a short time (week to a month) often it’s located in a wing of receiving or in the SHU… Both crappy places to be. After that time, they either have an opportunity to write a statement that they are NOT in fear for their life anymore and return to GP, or they are sent to a housing unit or separate facility that has essentially all PC’s and perhaps a mixture of older and more mild prisoners. Once they get there, I understand it to be a very “good” way to do time. In the “getting there” though he may have to endure some discomfort but he would be safe.
Now, If he IS NOT a sex offender (the terms used inside are “ripper” for rapist and “skinner” for child molesters or labeled as a “rat” or “snitch” which are terms for inmates who “break the code of silence and minding your own business” then it’s a good idea to tell him to have a copy of his “papers” on him or within reach. His “papers” are his sentencing paperwork that shows what crime he has been incarcerated for and he can produce that to questioning inmates. I realize that it may sound ridiculous, but it’s a VERY different world in there. All of his fellow inmates want to know that he is “SOLID” or trustworthy amongst his peers. A lot happens in there and I have seen some pretty awful stuff in my 3 years. The best thing to remember going in is mind your own business (don’t get involved in things that don’t concern you directly), keep your mouth shut (don’t talk to other inmates and/or staff about ANYTHING you see or hear, if you make an agreement or a promise, KEEP YOUR WORD! Don’t ever get involved with inmate “stores” or anything that has to do with credit and “juice” (interest) such a 3 cigarettes for $10 (doubling each week you don’t pay) or going to another inmate for a bag of coffee etc for a 2 for one meaning the next week you owe two bags of coffee for the one and if commissary money does not hit or they are out, it’s 3 bags the next week etc… I have seen people cut up, banged up FREQUENTLY for these things. I realize that some of this may seem off subject, it really is not. When it comes to PC, these are the things that causes many to end up there and once you PC, you get a prison wide reputation for being a “bitch” (lot’s of not so good meanings) and reintegrating (if you have a long sentence for example) is difficult once word spreads. As I said, it’s a VERY different world in there!
To sum it up with your son and the other posters boyfriend, if there is a good likelihood that he will need to be in GP in the future (One issue with PC is that OFTEN they don’t have all of the same programs and such available to them which can prevent them from getting out on their minimum… Mandatory programs don’t change just because they are not made available to the PC’d inmate!) and he is not one of the types of prisoner that I listed, he should consider getting his paperwork in hand and getting out of PC. He may need to fight to prove he is “solid” and not a “punk” (never mind the definition for that one lol) The “good” news about that is usually, win or lose, respect is gained for standing up for yourself In there, again a very different world. If you have any other questions or if I can help, please write me and I will do what I can to help or point you in the right direction. I hope this helps!!! -Doc
CCmom (07-24-2010), mandymoo (07-23-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,452 Times in 999 Posts

According to my son, when you are incarcerated you are given a copy of your "papers" which outline what you were convicted of and how long you were sentenced to.
If someone asks what you are there for, (which in theory should NOT be happening because there a whole mind your own business culture inside) but if they ask and you do not produce papers... well, it is assumed you are in for a sex offense, most likely against a child.
It doesn't mean a CO told. Inmates have jobs, including working in administration and it doesn't take a whole lot to get one to look up someone's charges and spread the word.
When my son was locked up some guy came in and told everyone he was there for burglary, however, one of the inmates went in the guy's cell and found his "papers". He was in for sexually abusing dogs. He was beat up within an hour and moved to ad seg and then transferred to his home prison where he was placed in special needs.
If I were the OPs son I would insist I feared for my life and request to be sent to a special needs yard asap. I hate that it happens like this. But according to my son, it does.

Last edited by southernsarah; 07-23-2010 at 12:46 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to southernsarah For This Useful Post:
DocStein (07-24-2010)
Old 07-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Survivor and Thriver!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,189 Times in 2,979 Posts
Default DOC Stein not sure where you were

BUT pc IS not like ad seg in every state. In NY, it is simply a separate dorm. So please let others know you are only an expert i the state you have experience with.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
The Following User Says Thank You to Momma Ann For This Useful Post:
DocStein (07-24-2010)