Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

NORTH CAROLINA Topics and conversations dealing with the State of North Carolina - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 PM
triplejs's Avatar
triplejs triplejs is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 327
Thanks: 86
Thanked 263 Times in 129 Posts
Default Gangs in NC prisons?

I was talking to a friend today whose nephew was in prison in Iowa and she was talking about the gangs there in the prisons.

And then I ran across this article in the Morganton News Herald about Foothills Prison:

Prison Gang Attacks

Now I am curious about how bad the gang situation is in our NC prisons.

Has your loved one mentioned anything?

Or maybe 2021 or DOCEmployee could comment on this subject.

My son has never mentioned gang activity to me before...perhaps out of his desire to not cause me excessive worry.

Anyway like I said I am just curious.
__________________

Wife to one - my best friend.
Mama to two - one in prison.
Nana to three - one we are raising.
ME - living each day one at a time.



Imprisoned with him.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-18-2010, 11:06 PM
2021 2021 is offline
Why? When? Who? Where?
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Goldsboro NC USA
Posts: 895
Thanks: 62
Thanked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Default gangs

From the Family and Friends Handbook, page 43:
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/Publicati...10Handbook.pdf

How does the Department of Correction manage gangs in the prisons?

The Division of Prisons recognizes that certain groups commit acts that are disruptive to the safe, secure and orderly operation of a prison facility. These groups are identified as Security Threat Groups (STG), commonly known as “gangs.” If the Division of Prisons determines that the group’s disruptive acts meet the criteria of a Security Threat Group as established by the Department, the group may be confirmed as an STG.

Inmates within the STG may also be confirmed as STG members. When an inmate is confirmed as a STG member, they are closely watched. Ways in which they are closely watched may include non-contact visits, monitored telephone calls and reading of mail. Each member’s status is reviewed once every six months.

At the time of the review, the level at which the inmate is monitored may remain the same, increase, decrease, or be removed altogether. A facility intelligence officer is assigned at each facility to monitor gang activity and to review the status of confirmed STG members.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-19-2010, 07:06 AM
triplejs's Avatar
triplejs triplejs is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 327
Thanks: 86
Thanked 263 Times in 129 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021 View Post
From the Family and Friends Handbook, page 43:
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/Publicati...10Handbook.pdf

How does the Department of Correction manage gangs in the prisons?

The Division of Prisons recognizes that certain groups commit acts that are disruptive to the safe, secure and orderly operation of a prison facility. These groups are identified as Security Threat Groups (STG), commonly known as “gangs.” If the Division of Prisons determines that the group’s disruptive acts meet the criteria of a Security Threat Group as established by the Department, the group may be confirmed as an STG.

Inmates within the STG may also be confirmed as STG members. When an inmate is confirmed as a STG member, they are closely watched. Ways in which they are closely watched may include non-contact visits, monitored telephone calls and reading of mail. Each member’s status is reviewed once every six months.

At the time of the review, the level at which the inmate is monitored may remain the same, increase, decrease, or be removed altogether. A facility intelligence officer is assigned at each facility to monitor gang activity and to review the status of confirmed STG members.
Thanks - I had read that in the manual.

I was wondering more along the lines of how prevalent are gangs in our NC prisons? Do we have a "growing problem" with them?

I've been watching the gangs in our small town grow but I also know from the news that the larger cities like Charlotte are facing it even more.

Even though my son is in prison I really had not given it a thought until I talked with my friend and saw the news article. It looks like this particular gang has caused some major problems for them at Foothills. Not a prison I would want my son at right now.

Just curious as to the reality of gangs in our NC prisons. Thanks!
__________________

Wife to one - my best friend.
Mama to two - one in prison.
Nana to three - one we are raising.
ME - living each day one at a time.



Imprisoned with him.


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-19-2010, 10:51 AM
laydlyke's Avatar
laydlyke laydlyke is offline
No Longer His Prisoner
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,942
Thanks: 360
Thanked 406 Times in 265 Posts
Default

Yeah, gang activity is an issue. I would say it's not as bad as it is portrayed in the media, but it is an issue. From my loved ones' experiences, all of whom have been affiliated in some sense with gangs, it's a little more prevalent while in prison because as we all know, there is strength in numbers. Two guys, in particular, that I know were recruited while in prison who had no affiliation with gangs on the street. A gang inside offers brotherhood, protection, and to some that are indigent, "free" meals and other luxuries. Of course those things aren't "free" but may not require a monetary contribution to be obtained. If that makes any sense.

I would think, for your average dude (no street affliation), that they may not necessarily join the gang, but the other dudes he hangs with may be. He may be associated with a group of people but not be a member. But for the most part, if a dude gang bangs, you're gonna know it. He's gonna rep it hard, 24/7, that is if he's a real G.
__________________
~ “Things don’t go wrong and break your heart so you can become bitter and give up. They happen to break you down and build you up so you can be all that you were intended to be.” ~
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laydlyke For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (05-12-2012), triplejs (07-20-2010)
  #5  
Old 07-22-2010, 12:49 PM
docemployee docemployee is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Honestly, gangs are in the prison system. We are not like Californina, Texas, or New York. We don't have the problems they have yet, but you see more of it every year. I think in 10 years it'll be a different story.
It is something the administration keeps a close eye on.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2010, 08:10 PM
triplejs's Avatar
triplejs triplejs is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 327
Thanks: 86
Thanked 263 Times in 129 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docemployee View Post
Honestly, gangs are in the prison system. We are not like Californina, Texas, or New York. We don't have the problems they have yet, but you see more of it every year. I think in 10 years it'll be a different story.
It is something the administration keeps a close eye on.
Thanks for your reply.

You know most of us base our ideas about prison from what we see on tv and I'm sure they show the worst of the worst.

Off my own topic: I was talking to my niece tonight and she got an attitude with me about how on tv they show prisons being bars, nasty food, gang rapes, inmates stabbing each other and a hard place to do time. And yet she seems to think that my son has it "easy". A cell of his own, junk food from the machine, a book to read, tv to watch and all his needs provided for free of charge.

I expect that my son doesn't have it "easy" in prison but I do believe he doesn't tell me the truth about a lot of things because he doesn't want to scare me or worry me to death. Including the truth about gangs in there.
__________________

Wife to one - my best friend.
Mama to two - one in prison.
Nana to three - one we are raising.
ME - living each day one at a time.



Imprisoned with him.


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 PM
worriednnc worriednnc is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC, US
Posts: 84
Thanks: 9
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I just read your post and the article. This troubles me because my husband mentioned he might be sent to this prison. He is not in a gang and never has been. Until I read this I was hoping he was sent there because it was 1 and 1/2 hours closer to my home but I definitely don't want him sent there now. He has had no problems at Piedmont and is hoping to stay there until he is moved to minimum security. Now I hope this as well. Does anyone have a loved one at Foothills CI now?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2010, 08:21 PM
triplejs's Avatar
triplejs triplejs is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 327
Thanks: 86
Thanked 263 Times in 129 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriednnc View Post
I just read your post and the article. This troubles me because my husband mentioned he might be sent to this prison. He is not in a gang and never has been. Until I read this I was hoping he was sent there because it was 1 and 1/2 hours closer to my home but I definitely don't want him sent there now. He has had no problems at Piedmont and is hoping to stay there until he is moved to minimum security. Now I hope this as well. Does anyone have a loved one at Foothills CI now?
I have since found out that this incident occurred at the youth portion of the facility. It is the Western Youth division (sometimes called High Rise). They house youth 13-22 and each person involved in this was under 22 years old.

The adult portion of the facility is completely separate and has close, medium and minimum custody levels. So I would say that the adult (over 22) men would not be associating with the youth where I believe the gangs are more prevalent.

I'm not sure how much this eases my mind or yours. I had heard that the facility is extremely nice and a good prison to be at. Perhaps this gang issue will encourage stricter supervision for the young people there.

Hope that helps a bit.
__________________

Wife to one - my best friend.
Mama to two - one in prison.
Nana to three - one we are raising.
ME - living each day one at a time.



Imprisoned with him.


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-20-2011, 02:25 PM
stonewallred stonewallred is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: stokes county nc usa
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I spent 15 years in the NCDOC, and have just finished my second internship within the system, and gangs did not seem like a problem or an issue to me.
Keep in mind that unlike the states that have extreme gang problems, NC has a bunch of prisons. And NCDOC has never had a problem shipping folks around.
__________________
We all have a life sentence, some of us get to choose where we are going to do ours.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stonewallred For This Useful Post:
roysprincess (02-21-2011)
  #10  
Old 03-27-2011, 12:18 PM
tarheel83169's Avatar
tarheel83169 tarheel83169 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: new market, tennessee
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Arrow

gang activity is very prevalent in NC prisons ... and because it is in fact a somewhat large problem it appears to me that the DOC insists on labeling everyone as some faction of a gang and its ridiculous. ....my son has been "labeled" to be associated with some sort of gang ... but the only gang I'm aware of that he's a part of is Christianity ... is that a gang too?? lol

it's odd that a supposed member of a gang, such as my son ... would have no infractions in 14 months of captivity.

just a thought.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 AM
tave2710's Avatar
tave2710 tave2710 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 160
Thanks: 61
Thanked 65 Times in 44 Posts
Default

I don't know how big the problem is in NC but I'm worried about that too with my fiance...he has been involved in gangs in the past, but he stopped since we've been together. I'm just worried he's going to get involved again while at highrise. ugh...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-15-2011, 10:18 AM
iTzMaJiC iTzMaJiC is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Just left Polk and Morrison (Age 26 and under) and every gang you can think of were at both camps. Aryan Brotherhood, Folks, Crips, Bloods, Vice Lords, Latin Kings, Brown Pride, Gangster Disciples, etc.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iTzMaJiC For This Useful Post:
triplejs (07-09-2011)
  #13  
Old 03-02-2012, 06:39 PM
downsouthboy downsouthboy is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: N.C. USA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Gangs In the NCDOC

My son has been locked away in the NCDOC since June 2008 and has about 6 and a half years left on his sentence. He has been incarcerated at Central Prison, Polk CI, Alexander CI, Bertie CI, Maury CI, and is now at Avery/Mitchell CI. There is a lot of gang activity at all of the close custody prisons in North Carolina, but it seems that although there is still some going on that it isn't as prevalent once you are in medium custody. It is also not as big of a problem in the Western District as it is in the Eastern District. My son tells me that gangs control the drug and gambling trade and extort canteen and stamps from the weaker inmates and child molesters. He says they call it "paying rent". He also says that the biggest reason most people join gangs is to keep from being extorted. I hope everyone can understand what I'm saying and I hope this helps clarify what really go's on inside.

Last edited by downsouthboy; 03-02-2012 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: mispelling
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM
worriedmom71 worriedmom71 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default gangs

My son just got transferred from Morganton to Polk and he says the gang situation is there but if you stay away from it and keep to yourself than it pretty much leaves you alone...however there will always be the few that feel the need to exert themselves due to their own insecurities...I am very worried about him going to Polk since I have heard so many bad things about it...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 AM
worriedmom71 worriedmom71 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default need info please

Hi, what can you tell me about Polk in NC, my son was just transferred there and I worry for his safety. I have heard some really bad things and any helpful info I can pass along to him would be much appreciated...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-04-2012, 01:40 PM
downsouthboy downsouthboy is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: N.C. USA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Polk

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedmom71 View Post
Hi, what can you tell me about Polk in NC, my son was just transferred there and I worry for his safety. I have heard some really bad things and any helpful info I can pass along to him would be much appreciated...
My son was at Polk CI and he says it's a "gladiator school" lot's of fighting and inmates that want to try to make a reputation for themself. He said that for the most part the CO's are bullies that are on some kind of power trip trying to "STG" everyone they can.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 PM
see-oh's Avatar
see-oh see-oh is offline
C/O
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default

It is a growing problem. There are more and more younger people being convicted, and bringing their street gangs with them. There are also prison gangs, who they join when they come off the streets. They may not be in a gang on the street, but join one once they go to prison for protection and comraderie. If someone is investigated and actually found to be in a gang, it is not just something frivolous. Its not something just tacked on to them. It is, however, very serious, and very dangerous for everyone involved, inmates and staff alike.

One more thing. Officers are not bullies. Inmates don't realize just what we have to go through. All they see is that we are enforcing rules that, to them, are stupid. What they don't see is when someone got hurt that caused the rule to be implemented. What they don't see is the coaching that goes on between an officer and his supervisor. A prison is not called a unit for nothing. Inmates will tryi to divide and conquer officers. They will try to intimidate them by calling them bullies. More often than not, its the inmates who are the bullies. When an officer stops them, he's called an a-hole, or is outright attacked.

All you people see is that "my baby is in prison" and "he wouldn't do something like that". What I see is the conniving little rascal running around trying to play his inmate games, all the while trying to keep me from seeing them.

Last edited by see-oh; 03-14-2012 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 PM
downsouthboy downsouthboy is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: N.C. USA
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by see-oh View Post
It is a growing problem. There are more and more younger people being convicted, and bringing their street gangs with them. There are also prison gangs, who they join when they come off the streets. They may not be in a gang on the street, but join one once they go to prison for protection and comraderie. If someone is investigated and actually found to be in a gang, it is not just something frivolous. Its not something just tacked on to them. It is, however, very serious, and very dangerous for everyone involved, inmates and staff alike.

One more thing. Officers are not bullies. Inmates don't realize just what we have to go through. All they see is that we are enforcing rules that, to them, are stupid. What they don't see is when someone got hurt that caused the rule to be implemented. What they don't see is the coaching that goes on between an officer and his supervisor. A prison is not called a unit for nothing. Inmates will tryi to divide and conquer officers. They will try to intimidate them by calling them bullies. More often than not, its the inmates who are the bullies. When an officer stops them, he's called an a-hole, or is outright attacked.

All you people see is that "my baby is in prison" and "he wouldn't do something like that". What I see is the conniving little rascal running around trying to play his inmate games, all the while trying to keep me from seeing them.

If you're living in Salisbury then Polk is a pretty long drive to work isn't it?
If you read my post I never said my son wouldn't do something like that. I also know that he's not lieing to me about the gaurds because he has called me before on a cell phone that another inmate had. And mister CO you and I both know that there is only one way that a cell phone gets into and stays in operation on a close custody camp. The CO's also run the biggest part of the drug and tobbaco trade a POLK also. Do they cover that in your coaching sessions? Sure a lot of Inmates run games and are pure hell to deal with at times but a lot CO's aren't the angel's you're making them out to be either.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Scotties_Girl21's Avatar
Scotties_Girl21 Scotties_Girl21 is offline
Faithfully Waiting
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nc
Posts: 2,025
Thanks: 0
Thanked 668 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedmom71
Hi, what can you tell me about Polk in NC, my son was just transferred there and I worry for his safety. I have heard some really bad things and any helpful info I can pass along to him would be much appreciated...
Idk if your still looking for info on Polk but my bf just transferred from there and it was not as bad as what others say. He had to fight once and after that he actually did quite well there and says he misses it compared to his new camp! Lol. The inmates there act a little crazy so I believe the c/o's have their hands full. Ppl say bad things but I talked to a woman that was over my bf case and she was so nice, answered all my questions. If you need anymore info on Polk feel free to pm me.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:20 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2013 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics