Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > INDIANA > Indiana DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Indiana DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Indiana Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:15 AM
It'll get better in time

Default Time Cut information

I couldn't find anything through the search feature and I was wondering if anyone had any information on which programs give which time cuts.

May be if we all pool our knowlege we can get a sticky posted of this information.

Education
Adult Basic Education: ?
GED: 6 Month Time cut
Associate Degree: 1 year Time Cut
Bachelor Degree: ?

Programs:

Clean Lifestyle is Freedom Forever (CLIFF): My fiancee told me it was a 6 month time cut
Thinking For A Change: My fiancee told me it was a 3 month time cut, but she never got it.

Any other programs that give time cuts?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 AM

SAMS gives a 3 month cut if you complete both sections sucessfully

God reminded me of the blessing He gave to all of us, forever, through Paul's letters from prison. God is no stranger to His people being in prison. And he is big enough to bring blessing from it.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Returning Citizen

Default According to Law

IC 35-50-6-3.3
Credit time for successful completion of educational degree or certificate
Sec. 3.3. (a) In addition to any credit time a person earns under subsection (b) or section 3 of this chapter, a person earns credit time if the person:
(1) is in credit Class I;
(2) has demonstrated a pattern consistent with rehabilitation; and
(3) successfully completes requirements to obtain one (1) of the following:
(A) A general educational development (GED) diploma under IC 20-20-6, if the person has not previously obtained a high school diploma.
(B) A high school diploma, if the person has not previously obtained a general educational development (GED) diploma.
(C) An associate's degree from an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined under IC 21-7-13-6(a)).
(D) A bachelor's degree from an approved postsecondary educational institution (as defined under IC 21-7-13-6(a)).
(b) In addition to any credit time that a person earns under subsection (a) or section 3 of this chapter, a person may earn credit time if, while confined by the department of correction, the person:
(1) is in credit Class I;
(2) demonstrates a pattern consistent with rehabilitation; and
(3) successfully completes requirements to obtain at least one (1) of the following:
(A) A certificate of completion of a career and technical education program approved by the department of correction. (B) A certificate of completion of a substance abuse program approved by the department of correction.
(C) A certificate of completion of a literacy and basic life skills program approved by the department of correction.
(c) The department of correction shall establish admissions criteria and other requirements for programs available for earning credit time under subsection (b). A person may not earn credit time under both subsections (a) and (b) for the same program of study.
(d) The amount of credit time a person may earn under this section is the following:
(1) Six (6) months for completion of a state of Indiana general educational development (GED) diploma under IC 20-20-6.
(2) One (1) year for graduation from high school.
(3) One (1) year for completion of an associate's degree.
(4) Two (2) years for completion of a bachelor's degree.
(5) Not more than a total of six (6) months of credit, as determined by the department of correction, for the completion of one (1) or more career and technical education programs approved by the department of correction.
(6) Not more than a total of six (6) months of credit, as determined by the department of correction, for the completion of one (1) or more substance abuse programs approved by the department of correction.
(7) Not more than a total of six (6) months credit, as determined by the department of correction, for the completion of one (1) or more literacy and basic life skills programs approved by the department of correction.
However, a person who does not have a substance abuse problem that qualifies the person to earn credit in a substance abuse program may earn not more than a total of twelve (12) months of credit, as determined by the department of correction, for the completion of one (1) or more career and technical education programs approved by the department of correction. If a person earns more than six (6) months of credit for the completion of one (1) or more career and technical education programs, the person is ineligible to earn credit for the completion of one (1) or more substance abuse programs.
(e) Credit time earned by a person under this section is subtracted from the release date that would otherwise apply to the person after subtracting all other credit time earned by the person.
(f) A person does not earn credit time under subsection (a) unless the person completes at least a portion of the degree requirements after June 30, 1993.
(g) A person does not earn credit time under subsection (b) unless the person completes at least a portion of the program requirements after June 30, 1999.
(h) Credit time earned by a person under subsection (a) for a diploma or degree completed before July 1, 1999, shall be subtracted from:
(1) the release date that would otherwise apply to the person after subtracting all other credit time earned by the person, if
the person has not been convicted of an offense described in subdivision (2); or
(2) the period of imprisonment imposed on the person by the sentencing court, if the person has been convicted of one (1) of the following crimes:
(A) Rape (<A name=IC35-42-4-1>IC 35-42-4-1).
(B) Criminal deviate conduct (<A name=IC35-42-4-2>IC 35-42-4-2).
(C) Child molesting (<A name=IC35-42-4-3>IC 35-42-4-3).
(D) Child exploitation (<A name=IC35-42-4-4>IC 35-42-4-4(b)).
(E) Vicarious sexual gratification (<A name=IC35-42-4-5>IC 35-42-4-5).
(F) Child solicitation (<A name=IC35-42-4-6>IC 35-42-4-6).
(G) Child seduction (<A name=IC35-42-4-7>IC 35-42-4-7).
(H) Sexual misconduct with a minor as a Class A felony, Class B felony, or Class C felony (<A name=IC35-42-4-9>IC 35-42-4-9).
(I) Incest (<A name=IC35-46-1-3>IC 35-46-1-3).
(J) Sexual battery (<A name=IC35-42-4-8>IC 35-42-4-8).
(K) Kidnapping (<A name=IC35-42-3-2>IC 35-42-3-2), if the victim is less than eighteen (18) years of age.
(L) Criminal confinement (<A name=IC35-42-3-3>IC 35-42-3-3), if the victim is less than eighteen (18) years of age.
(M) An attempt or a conspiracy to commit a crime listed in clauses (A) through (L).
(i) The maximum amount of credit time a person may earn under this section is the lesser of:
(1) four (4) years; or
(2) one-third (1/3) of the person's total applicable credit time.
(j) The amount of credit time earned under this section is reduced to the extent that application of the credit time would otherwise result in:
(1) postconviction release (as defined in IC 35-40-4-6); or
(2) assignment of the person to a community transition program;
in less than forty-five (45) days after the person earns the credit time.
(k) A person may earn credit time for multiple degrees at the same education level under subsection (d) only in accordance with guidelines approved by the department of correction. The department of correction may approve guidelines for proper sequence of education degrees under subsection (d).
(l) A person may not earn credit time:
(1) for a general educational development (GED) diploma if the person has previously earned a high school diploma; or
(2) for a high school diploma if the person has previously earned a general educational development (GED) diploma.
As added by P.L.243-1993, SEC.2. Amended by P.L.149-1995, SEC.17; P.L.148-1995, SEC.7; P.L.183-1999, SEC.3; P.L.243-1999, SEC.3; P.L.14-2000, SEC.78; P.L.90-2000, SEC.21; P.L.164-2003, SEC.1; P.L.1-2005, SEC.229; P.L.2-2007, SEC.380; P.L.234-2007, SEC.171; P.L.80-2008, SEC.3.

Last edited by Jackson1776; 06-21-2010 at 03:43 PM..
Old 06-24-2010, 09:36 AM

So for the educational stuff...It doesn't say that if you already have a BA that you can't get an associates as well...So how does that work exactly? If DH is in DOC hold could I register him in a associates degree correspondence program? I'm just wondering what kind of hoops you have to jump through to get them in a associates degree program and get it to count toward the time cut.

God reminded me of the blessing He gave to all of us, forever, through Paul's letters from prison. God is no stranger to His people being in prison. And he is big enough to bring blessing from it.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Returning Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman6 View Post
So for the educational stuff...It doesn't say that if you already have a BA that you can't get an associates as well...So how does that work exactly? If DH is in DOC hold could I register him in a associates degree correspondence program? I'm just wondering what kind of hoops you have to jump through to get them in a associates degree program and get it to count toward the time cut.

Darn. I'm not quite sure on some of your questions. But this is how I think the DOC interprets it. He can get a time cut for earning an associates degree. However, if he all ready has a bachelor's degree, why not get another one. It will be quicker and cheaper. Plus, he will get two years instead of one. There is a catch about progressive education. But I think it applies only in reference to all ready earned credit. If I had got a bachelors degree in prison and got credit, the DOC wouldn't give me credit for an associates after the fact. He though as never received credit. I got credit for two bachelors degrees, because the second was consider to advance my education; an exiled citizen had to go to court to win that interpretation; the DOC is quite conservative when interpreting statute. I will bet that he will have no problem getting time for an associates. I wouldn't volunteer to anybody though that he has an associates just to keep all on the downlow; the DOC hates to give out time cuts.

The trick with correspondence courses is that they have to be through Indiana University Continuing Education.

http://continue.indiana.edu/generalS...DegreePrograms

That is the only officially recognized correspondence degree granting institution. The DOC I think does that to limit exiled citizens from earning associates from anywhere.

You might have problems with the jail, but I don't see how they could stop him from continuing his education.I think I recall other people working on their associates in jail. I'd make sure he was in DOC custody when he completes it.

He could file for financial aid too. This is what slows a lot of people down in the system. They usually have to wait a year before they can start school. They have to wait for the grant. A grant doesn't have to be spent. It just has to be renewed each year. The grant once approved can easily be transferred from one school to another.

He will also be able to transfer any credits he has all ready earned or earns (up to like 75)

He will have to fill out paperwork with the Education Director when he gets to a prison to make it official.

That is smart of you. You know how to think outside of the game. That's awesome and impressive.

Last edited by Jackson1776; 06-24-2010 at 11:25 PM..
Old 06-25-2010, 01:33 PM

Well, he actually has a MBA as well, but there is nothing mentioned about what educational level you have to have to qualify. He only got 4 do 2, so my thought was to get him into an associates degree program relating to business, but not accounting or business management and see how many credits will transfer over. I'm betting he could have the associates in a matter of a few months. Not sure how this would work, but I figure if the system is so willing to screw with me, I'm willing to screw it back if I can ;-)

Old 06-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Returning Citizen

Default Brilliant

Quote:
Well, he actually has a MBA as well, but there is nothing mentioned about what educational level you have to have to qualify. He only got 4 do 2, so my thought was to get him into an associates degree program relating to business, but not accounting or business management and see how many credits will transfer over. I'm betting he could have the associates in a matter of a few months. Not sure how this would work, but I figure if the system is so willing to screw with me, I'm willing to screw it back if I can ;-)
You got it. It is a brilliant plan. I think 2/3 of credits will transfer towards an associates. He will only have to take a semester's worth of credits. There are lots of business courses offered at IU too. I would definitely pursue it. I'd save one class to complete in the DOC, although I don't think it will matter if he's all ready been sentenced.

Last edited by Jackson1776; 06-25-2010 at 11:37 PM..
Old 06-26-2010, 07:12 AM

Default Iref

my husband wanted me to find out if there is a new time cut for the IREF. does anyone no? thats the rumor in there but i cant find anything about it.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson1776 View Post
You got it. It is a brilliant plan. I think 2/3 of credits will transfer towards an associates. He will only have to take a semester's worth of credits. There are lots of business courses offered at IU too. I would definitely pursue it. I'd save one class to complete in the DOC, although I don't think it will matter if he's all ready been sentenced.

I'm on it. I'm going to start with contacting the IDOC and see how to get him enrolled into the program since he is sitting in county and probably won't be moved to RDC until he has a few months on his sentence. I'll then ask about how many credits can transfer in on an associates degree and then begin the entire process. I hope this works. This could be the only benefit I have been able to find for someone who doesn't qualify for any of the other time cuts for one reason or another, mostly not being in trouble before and being higher educated before going in. The system sucks!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:18 AM
child please...

My g/f said they have made the PLUS program a 6 month cut as well. I can't remember what it stands for, even tho I was locked up too (sad) but I do remember it was a faith- based, character building type deal.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Returning Citizen

Quote:
I'm on it. I'm going to start with contacting the IDOC and see how to get him enrolled into the program since he is sitting in county and probably won't be moved to RDC until he has a few months on his sentence. I'll then ask about how many credits can transfer in on an associates degree and then begin the entire process. I hope this works. This could be the only benefit I have been able to find for someone who doesn't qualify for any of the other time cuts for one reason or another, mostly not being in trouble before and being higher educated before going in. The system sucks!
I think you got them. Yes, the system sucks bad! The thing with the DOC is it is always trying to interpret the Law from their punitive bias. You read the Law yourself, and you saw what the Legislature meant. Don't let anyone take that interpretation from you even if it means filing a habeas corpus to get your man his time cut.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Returning Citizen

Default Programs in the DOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra79 View Post
My g/f said they have made the PLUS program a 6 month cut as well. I can't remember what it stands for, even tho I was locked up too (sad) but I do remember it was a faith- based, character building type deal.
Here is a link to all the programs in the DOC.

http://www.in.gov/idoc/2799.htm

PLUS stands for Purposeful Living Units Serve.

I'm not sure if IREF is a reference to PREF (Plainfield Re-entry Educational Facility) or PREP (Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Program). I'm certain PREF it is not a time-cut. That is an instituion that offers a lot of programs. I don't think time cuts are being given for PREP either, but I'm sure one of the ladies can answer that question with certainty.

I will have to do more research.

I haven't had a chance to find the law or policy, but one of my friends said PLUS is now a six month time cut. He should know. He works with the PLUS dorm and is a PLUS graduate.

God bless.

Last edited by Jackson1776; 06-26-2010 at 03:52 PM..
Old 06-27-2010, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_wilson1 View Post
my husband wanted me to find out if there is a new time cut for the IREF. does anyone no? thats the rumor in there but i cant find anything about it.
My boyfriend has said the samething. He has heard that they are giving timecuts to programs that didn't give cuts in the past. I've tried to find info on this but can't find any. If you do please let me know.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 AM

So what does this mean?

(i) The maximum amount of credit time a person may earn under this section is the lesser of:
(1) four (4) years; or

If he got 4 years do 2...has already served 8 months of that...what would the time cut actually end up being? It doesn't look like he would get the full year. Blah...

I just don't want to spend $3,000 if the time cut isn't going to be adequate. We will not receive financial grants and such because he already has degrees... We can get financial aid, but I would rather foot it and be done.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Returning Citizen

Quote:
So what does this mean?

(1) four (4) years; or

If he got 4 years do 2...has already served 8 months of that...what would the time cut actually end up being? It doesn't look like he would get the full year. Blah...

I just don't want to spend $3,000 if the time cut isn't going to be adequate. We will not receive financial grants and such because he already has degrees... We can get financial aid, but I would rather foot it and be done.
I believe it is one-third of 4 years which means he'll get a whole year and some change. However, it will take a few months to earn the degree. By the time he gets it, he may have all ready done more than a year. But - his time cut will put him out the door. They will hold him for 45 days. Then, they will let him out.

The law is written like that to prevent a person with a sentence such as a four do two from not serving any time. Theorectically, say a person needs one credit to get his/her bachelors. He/she is close to completing that credit. After sentencing, he/she gets the time cut. The DOC would have to let him/her out without serving much time. There was a time when people got away with that. In other words, the Legislature wants to make sure a person serves two-thirds of their sentence. However, with earned credit time, that a amounts to half of two-thirds.

I think the key to this piece of legislation is "total applicable credit time." The total applicable time is the actual days a person serves (every day a person spends incarcerated is entitled to one day credit) plus earned credit time (people in time class one earn one day of credit in addition to the actual day served - hence the misnomer 4 do 2) which in your case is potentially four years. It does not say one-third of earned credit time.

One of many sad things about our system is misleading us into thinking we have been sentenced to two years out of four. Make no mistake about it, he was sentenced to four years.

I know it is confusing. You should see the math used to calculate time. It gives me a headache.

Sorry I didn't speak about this before. He could have never profitted much from a bachelors expect a higher degree.

You have to weigh your costs. What is one day of freedom worth? For instance, if you can only get him out ten months earlier, is it worth it?

You'll have to move quick.

Good luck and God bless.

Last edited by Jackson1776; 06-29-2010 at 04:50 PM..
Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 AM

I have been moving quick on this. I have his application sent in and his transcripts being transferred over. We found out the following: He can transfer in 45 credit hours and needs 60 to complete an associates in general studies. So 15 credit hours or 5 classes by correspondence. This will end up costing about $4,000.00. We have been confused about how much time a person can get off of their sentence. I see that he can only get 1/3 of his sentence taken off for time cuts. We were confused as to what the 1/3 applied to. Does it apply to the 4 years or the 2 years? We were under the impression that it would be for the 2 years which would be 8 months BUT what you said makes so much sense. He was sentenced to 4 years and nothing is guaranteed soooo..well I'm just confused lol. We are going forward with this because the money is not important..I mean...it stinks to pour more money into his education which will not make a difference at all when we could be using ti for other things, but I want him home! Our kids need him home, so the money is secondary even if I have to throw it ll on the credit card! We are hoping he can get them done in record time since he wouldn't have to be doing anything else other than those classes. If your right about the time and he is eligible to receive a year cut off his total time then it seems he should get out earlier than even what we were anticipating. Now...what is this 45 day hold thing you are speaking of?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra79 View Post

I just got off the phone with the IN DOC and the dept who is controlling this issue, and YES the legislative took effect on july 1, 2010, it is a 6 mth time cut. The woman that I spoke to was in the process as we were speaking, of verifying who all and where they took the program. They had to have completed the entire program to get the cut. If when the time cut goes through and it puts you eligible to be release now, you still have to wait 45 days from that day.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblinded View Post
I just got off the phone with the IN DOC and the dept who is controlling this issue, and YES the legislative took effect on july 1, 2010, it is a 6 mth time cut. The woman that I spoke to was in the process as we were speaking, of verifying who all and where they took the program. They had to have completed the entire program to get the cut. If when the time cut goes through and it puts you eligible to be release now, you still have to wait 45 days from that day.
Are you talking about the victim notice? ...I heard you can apply for a victim notice waiver and be released after the program if you eligible for release and not have to wait the 45 days...not sure how true though.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblinded View Post

I know that Doc is giving the 6 mo time cut for the PLUS program, but for some reason, they told my husband he wouldn't get it if he had a serious offense, which I do not understand. He has a confinement charge. Is there any mention of this anywhere.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Returning Citizen

Default 45 Day Hold

There has been an issue brought up that involves a 45 day hold for exiled citizens that get a time cut that puts him/her out the door. I thought this was due to victim notification. The code for time cuts states specifically that a person must be held 45 days if he/she gets a time cut that put him/her out the door. I guess it is never too late to learn.

IC 35-50-6-3
Credit time classes

(j) The amount of credit time earned under this section is reduced to the extent that application of the credit time would otherwise result in:
(1) postconviction release (as defined in IC 35-40-4-6); or
(2) assignment of the person to a community transition program;
in less than forty-five (45) days after the person earns the credit time

IC 35-40-4-6
"Postconviction release"
Sec. 6. "Postconviction release" means parole, work release, home detention, or any other permanent, conditional, or temporary discharge from confinement of a person who is confined in:
(1) the custody of:
(A) the department of correction; or
(B) a sheriff;
(2) a county jail;
(3) a secure mental health facility; or
(4) a secure juvenile facility or shelter care facility.

Stay informed. It is one avenue we have to stand equal with the system.

God bless.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Hello new on here, I'm trying to see if anyone knows if the Pendleton prison has any time cut programs. My husband has been in since 2003 he has eight years left we trying to cut his time in half please help

Last edited by MrsPfeifer; 04-06-2011 at 09:00 AM..
Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 AM
moving forward...

Thanked 1,915 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPfeifer View Post
Hello new on here, I'm trying to see if anyone knows if the Pendleton prison has any time cut programs. My husband has been in since 2003 he has eight years left we trying to cut his time in half please help
Welcome to PTO.

You can go onto the DOC website and check out the programs they have for his particular facility. There are three adult facilities at pendleton. Education, thinking for a change, substance abuse those all have time cuts and they vary in length. You husband can find all this information from the inside. good luck
Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,197 Posts

Hello MrsPfeifer, welcome to PTO! Thank you Snowbaby for helping her while I was off I hope you have been able to find the information you needed. If not feel free to PM me any questions if I can help!

Snowwolf
Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 AM

i know my husabdn said to get the school time cut u also have to get the thinking for a change..but im not sure if its just for the literacy program or wat and he said the thinking for a change class has the longest waiting list

R&R Kinnett