Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 AM

Default Is it true - days count as 3 for 1 at TDCJ?

hi is it true that when you are at tdc 1 day counts like if you been there for 3 days already beause mi husban is sentenced to 2 years but the lawyer said it was only going to be 8 months but i dont know if it true baecause mi husband was at the harris county jail and he got transfered to garza west in beeville tx if any one knows please tell me thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,541 Times in 1,745 Posts

No, that is not true. Sorry.

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!
Old 06-15-2010, 09:56 AM

RA Treasure Hunt Winner 

Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,014 Posts

it doesnt actually work that way, but there is the possibility of earning good time credits which can reduce his length of stay. Look your husband up on the TDCJ inmate locator. His projected release date will reflect those credits, if he is eligible. However, those are not mandatary, they are discretionary, which means the parole board has the option to grant them or not when it comes time for his release

Old 06-16-2010, 12:27 AM
you're NEVER alone babe.

My hubby is getting 2 for 1. Maybe that's what he was talking about? But it's not 3 days for everyday served

Judges can give credit for so-called “dead time” that offenders spend in detention centres prior to trial and sentencing. It’s seen as a way to account for time served in cramped cells while a case wends its way through the courts..

a convict who spends two years in custody pre-trial, for example, and is sentenced to four years in prison, could avoid returning to jail if given double credit for time already served.

but i dont think this counts after sentencing. Like, my hubby did 9 months before he got sentenced...so according to the judge, he is giong to get 18 months for that time. Of course, I hear a lot of time, they say this and it doesn't happen. It also depends on the type of offense they committed.

Also, good time can be occured after they are sentenced. And depending on their offense, this could make a big differenced in their time served before they can come up for parole. I THINK it comes out to an extra 20-30 days a month, depending on their status, job, and conduct. Of course, I'm just going off what his lawyer and the judge told us. SO WHO KNOWS!! lol

Let's not even talk about MSD.

Long journey ahead of us--but you're worth everyday babe!!
Old 06-16-2010, 12:39 AM
you're NEVER alone babe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsG22010 View Post
My hubby is getting 2 for 1. Maybe that's what he was talking about? But it's not 3 days for everyday served

Judges can give credit for so-called “dead time” that offenders spend in detention centres prior to trial and sentencing. It’s seen as a way to account for time served in cramped cells while a case wends its way through the courts..

a convict who spends two years in custody pre-trial, for example, and is sentenced to four years in prison, could avoid returning to jail if given double credit for time already served.

but i dont think this counts after sentencing. Like, my hubby did 9 months before he got sentenced...so according to the judge, he is giong to get 18 months for that time. Of course, I hear a lot of time, they say this and it doesn't happen. It also depends on the type of offense they committed.

Also, good time can be occured after they are sentenced. And depending on their offense, this could make a big differenced in their time served before they can come up for parole. I THINK it comes out to an extra 20-30 days a month, depending on their status, job, and conduct. Of course, I'm just going off what his lawyer and the judge told us. SO WHO KNOWS!! lol
**sorry..i mean 20-35 days at a level 1 (what they go in as)...20 for good time and 15 for work time I belive. They can move up a level after 6 months (at least, thats when it could happen, doen't mean they will) and then they earn a little bit more (i think its a total of 40 days per month at the second level).

Let's not even talk about MSD.

Long journey ahead of us--but you're worth everyday babe!!
Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 AM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Quote:
Sorry but the judge lied to you. There is no "2 for 1" or "3 for 1" credit AT ALL when it comes to TDCJ. Good time is only good for determining parole eligibility. That's it. Other than that, it's left up to who you talk to as to whether or not the parole board really cares about it.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 PM

When my man violated his probation and was re-sentenced by the same judge he gave him credit for the time he was locked up before he was on probation. He only did that because our lawyer asked for it as part of his new sentence. It wasn't TDCJ that gave him any less time off his sentence.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:02 AM

RA Treasure Hunt Winner 

Thanked 2,146 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:

I have no idea why he would have said this, I would go back and talk to your lawyer. Although honestly, sometimes its like the right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing. The lawyers and judges dont always know what TDCJ rules are and they throw phrases and thoughts around that arent true. Once your husband shows up on the TDCJ site you will have a more accurate idea of whats going on. For instance we were told my son would be eligible for parole after half his sentence. Not true. He was eligible in 6 mos and given a one year set off.
I think this just really adds to the confusion, when the judges and lawyers tell you different than what TDCJ says.

Last edited by ReggiesLady; 06-17-2010 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: fixed quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggiesLady View Post
Sorry but the judge lied to you. There is no "2 for 1" or "3 for 1" credit AT ALL when it comes to TDCJ. Good time is only good for determining parole eligibility. That's it. Other than that, it's left up to who you talk to as to whether or not the parole board really cares about it.
My husband is from the old laws and he is getting 3 for 1.

Last edited by Nora L; 06-18-2010 at 09:23 PM..
Old 06-29-2010, 07:38 PM

He probably will do 8 months and come up forparole. Have him work in prison take classes and stay outta trouble it will help him make parole. Also put a parole packet together or hire a parole lawyer find one that tells u they can forsure help him make his first parole good luck
Old 06-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora L View Post
My husband is from the old laws and he is getting 3 for 1.
Sorry but there are no "old laws" that give 3 for 1. At least not in TDCJ.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B's Wife24 View Post
He probably will do 8 months and come up forparole. Have him work in prison take classes and stay outta trouble it will help him make parole. Also put a parole packet together or hire a parole lawyer find one that tells u they can forsure help him make his first parole good luck
If you get an attorney that tells you they can "for sure" get your loved one out on parole? RRUUUNNNN as fast as you can. Any reputable attorney NEVER guarantees or promises things like this because it's just not possible to do.

The Following User Says Thank You to ReggiesLady For This Useful Post:
MamaB58 (06-29-2010)
Old 07-01-2010, 09:31 PM

There is an attorney well a parole attorney that WILL NOT even take ur case unless she knows she can get u out on ur first parole that's what I was reffering to. My husband had 2 attorneys this time and a parole attorney so I've learn a lot about the laws and the justice system and the ends and outs of whatan attorney can and can't tell you and I DO know that can't make promise..I was referring to the lawyer I spoke about in the beginning of this reply.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B's Wife24 View Post
There is an attorney well a parole attorney that WILL NOT even take ur case unless she knows she can get u out on ur first parole that's what I was reffering to. My husband had 2 attorneys this time and a parole attorney so I've learn a lot about the laws and the justice system and the ends and outs of whatan attorney can and can't tell you and I DO know that can't make promise..I was referring to the lawyer I spoke about in the beginning of this reply.
I'm assuming you are talking about Lori Redmon?? If so, I don't trust her as far as I can throw her but that's just my opinion. And she only takes cases she knows she get out because she takes the EASY ONES which require less work on her part. Who wants more work right? I so dislike attorneys who play with people's emotions this way. And to think I was a paralegal for over 10 years!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:07 AM

My husband signed for 4 years and is about to get out on parole. It will be about 20 months he has served by the time he gets out. They approved him for parole in February (after 15 months) but he had to take a 3 month class first...so tell him to start taking classes so if he does get approved you will not have to wait! It will also help his parole chances!
The Following User Says Thank You to Amanda83 For This Useful Post:
ReggiesLady (07-05-2010)
Old 07-05-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry but there are no "old laws" that give 3 for 1. At least not in TDCJ.
My husband is under the old law as well and you're right there is no 3 for 1 in TDCJ. The only 3 for 1 I know about is in the county (here in Smith county because of the overcrowding) and thats only if you're a trustee. If not a trustee its 2 for 1.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
I'm assuming you are talking about Lori Redmon?? If so, I don't trust her as far as I can throw her but that's just my opinion. And she only takes cases she knows she get out because she takes the EASY ONES which require less work on her part. Who wants more work right? I so dislike attorneys who play with people's emotions this way. And to think I was a paralegal for over 10 years!

We had her and he is now serving all. There was a lot of talk about easy times to come and he is still sitting through another summer. Just my personal experience though.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 AM

I still don't really understand the 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 thing...lol. I know my husband was sentenced for 3 years, and because of him getting parole, he served 10 months on it. But he will still have to do the rest of the time on parole, I think. We shall see soon.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Parole is a privilege, not a guaranteed thing. When county jails give two for one that's usually a guaranteed thing so that's what the difference is.

Saldana-Yes, when an offender is paroled they are on parole until their sentence is complete. So if they have 3 years left on their sentence and are paroled, they will be on parole the remaining three years.

The Following User Says Thank You to ReggiesLady For This Useful Post:
Mrssaldana (07-06-2010)
Old 07-19-2010, 11:43 PM
Johnny's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroylaura View Post
hi is it true that when you are at tdc 1 day counts like if you been there for 3 days already beause mi husban is sentenced to 2 years but the lawyer said it was only going to be 8 months but i dont know if it true baecause mi husband was at the harris county jail and he got transfered to garza west in beeville tx if any one knows please tell me thanks
No that's not true. I am sorry.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac5936m2000 View Post
No that's not true. I am sorry.
Sorry your lawyer told you that. Ours did the same and he had no way of knowing anything like that. He already had our money and was just trying to tell us what sounded good and quick so he could get out of the courthouse.

I wish there were 3 for 1 but not in TDC.

Good Luck.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:51 PM

Sorry but I wish there were.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroylaura View Post