Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison Profiles > Southern State Correctional Facility
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Southern State Correctional Facility Discussions and information relevant to the NJ Southern State Correctional Facility

Old 06-03-2010, 05:15 PM

Default Southern State Prison- Visitation questions

Does anyone have any information at all about this place? Good? Bad? I am deeply concerned & would appreciate any information. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2010, 05:32 PM

you might want to post this in the New Jersey forum so someone there can help you. My boyfriend was there for about 3 months, but he was in the minimum unit so I don't know if i can help you much
Old 06-03-2010, 08:40 PM
PTO Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,782 Times in 9,396 Posts

Welcome to PTO!! I've moved your thread to the NJ forum.....you'll find state/facility specific info here
Tina (09-10-2010)
Old 06-03-2010, 10:10 PM

Southern State is in Cumberland County on Delsea Dr. (Rt 47) It's referred to as a "baby prison" by the inmates. All I ever heard from my ex was that they treat you like children there. It's dorm style living with bunk beds, (I think I remember him saying something about a dozen guys living in each room), and they have a TV area which they can watch during certain hours. They have count several times a day and must be on their bunk. They can get jobs there, which are all part time, doing lots of different things, from janitorial and kitchen work, to construction and maintenance of the units. They get state pay for it which depends on which job they are doing. They are allowed outside in the yard pretty much whenever they want to be there and that's where they smoke. The food isn't too bad, but the biggest complaint that I heard was that they didn't give you enough, but they can order from the commissary. (Soups, snack items, tuna, condiments, cookies, candy) Visits are on weekends, but check there because they rotate the times and it can be confusing) There are 2 compounds which are medium units and also TC (minimum) and the camps, which are also minimum. They go to the camps before going to the halfway houses. Another big complaint about Southern State is that they have no privacy, which is a drawback when living dorm style. They say that at least in a cell you can watch TV when you want and you only have to worry about your one bunkie, whereas in the dorms there are lots of men all in a small area and they also come and go which is tough for the inmates to see constantly. Hope that this helps a bit!
Old 06-04-2010, 07:56 AM

Thank you soooo much for the information. My son was transferred there & isn't expected to be released until 2013. Thanks again for responding to my questions. You have made me feel much better!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Donation Award 

Yeah, my boyfriend is there, and he really likes it, if there is such a thing as "liking" prison. He's friendly with quite a few guards, everyone is laid back, he goes outside everynight at 7:30 and watches "his" deer, about 8 of them show up, there's also a groundhog that "knocks" on the door for food, he's domesticated. Brian said he loves bananas, even though they're not allowed to feed him (the groundhog! LOL) ... i think if you have to be in any prison in NJ, that's the one to be in!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,204 Times in 1,641 Posts

welcome to PTO donna. glad you found us, but sorry you are in a situation in which you had to!

Old 06-08-2010, 09:42 PM

I had to laugh at Brianssong's post, because my boyfriend was there for seven months and he "liked" it too! He "liked" the medium facility so much that when he got transferred to TC, he didn't want to go back. I don't know much about all of the different prisons in NJ, but I would agree that this isn't a bad one if you must be there in the first place. My boyfriend was outside playing sports most of the time. I'm sorry that you have to be here and that your son is in there, but he was fortunate to be sent there of all the places in NJ!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Donation Award 

Ah! A Flyers fan!!! GO FLYERS!!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 06:41 PM
james' monkey

I want to thank everyone for those post. U guys definitely put my mind at ease. My bf gets along with everryone and now hearing he can go outside and its not maximum security im happy that he is going there even if it is three hrs away. Now when does he leave craf and go there i want ot talk to him so bad and i havent i havent gotten one letter and its breaking me inside. thats the only thing I hate I read how even with out phone calls they still get letters. where are my letters? Im sending him a money order tomorrow hopefully he will get it early next week and he can buy some paper stamps and env and if i cant get a call i can get something from him. ugh. in the mean time i will keep writing him. thanks again for the positive feedback on southern state
Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,899 Times in 1,175 Posts

Welcome to PTO Donna. glad you're here. If you need anything please feel free to ask.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:33 AM

Default Hey ladies

I am new to visiting someone in SSCF. And I have no idea as to what I can where there colors, or what type of shoes. I was told by someone that your boots cant even have a buckle on them. I am totally lost can someone give me info it will be my first time going Sunday. And I don't want to be turned around I haven't seen my boyfriend in a nice minute Thanks in Advance Ladies
Old 11-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya35 View Post
I am new to visiting someone in SSCF. And I have no idea as to what I can where there colors, or what type of shoes. I was told by someone that your boots cant even have a buckle on them. I am totally lost can someone give me info it will be my first time going Sunday. And I don't want to be turned around I haven't seen my boyfriend in a nice minute Thanks in Advance Ladies
Your boots cant have a buckle on them. Your heels cant be higher then 3 inches. You cant wear open toed shoes. Your not allowed to wear tan, orange, or gray ANYTHING. Nothing low cut. Your shirts need to come half way down your butt. Nothing see through. Your clothes cannot be too tight. No hoodies. No sweats. No jackets with hoods are allowed in the visiting room. Your boots are not allowed to look like the co's boots. Wear sneakers, jeans and a tshirt. The dress code is very difficult and they will deny your visit if your clothes aren't by their rules. No thermals either....
Old 03-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Southern State Camps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina View Post
Welcome to PTO Donna. glad you're here. If you need anything please feel free to ask.
Hi Tina. Just wondering. A woman here said that the inmates that are placed in the Southern State Camps go from there to halfway houses. Do you know if this is the case all the time?

My inmate is being located at the Camps there sometime soon (they said probably between now and the wkend). He is also eligible for parole, and is going through the application process.

Do they sometimes go straight from the camp to parole, or is the next stop always a halfway house?

Thanks.