Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TENNESSEE > TDOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

TDOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Tennessee Department of Correction. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:27 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,487 Times in 835 Posts
Default Serving state time in a county jail

my son is doing 2 years in a county jail. He woule prefer to go to a state prison with better conditions. Anybodyd have any suggestions or comments? He had a parole hearing last month and was told that parold would be reccomeneded and he should be out in 30 days,only to learn that he doesn't get out for 8 months
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2010, 01:33 AM
muyas wife

sorry to hear that he has to do time in the county, thats bad, but he has only 8 months to do. good luck i dont think you can do anything once they have been scentenced. im praying for you
Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 4,535 Times in 2,021 Posts

My hubby tells me they can keep state prisons in county jail for up to one yr under law. So, if he only has 8 months to do...then it is not worth the system's time, money and effort to move him from the jail to the prison. Prisons are overcrowded and he has a short sentence.

My hubby spent 6 months in the county jail last yr and it was terrible. They never sent outside at all. He was kept in a room no bigger than my livingroom with 40+ other guys. No time out of the cell, no outside time, and terrible food. Staph infections ect are rampant and spread easy when the inmates are crammed up together.

And no one cares...you can write the TV stations, the newspapers, the congress people...and they are just felons and no one will care!!!

The only thing you can do is supply as much money as you can so he can buy extra food and VITAMINS.....make sure he orders the vitamins. No sunlight will cause your body to deteriorate and in these conditions the vitamins are the only defense.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Account Closed

If it is only 8 months....they will hold him there if I want. The law is up to 1 yr.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Donation Award 

Default already done 16 months for the state in a county jail

He has already done 16 months!! Now to have to do another 8 at a county jail.... Can they do this??
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Account Closed

No, if it is over one yr....I think one year is the limit.

I will ask my hubby next time he calls. He has been in and out of TN jails/prisons for over 20 yrs.....I usually trust what he tells me.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:09 PM

Actually the limit is 2 years, anything over 2 years goes to a state prison. Rutherford Co jail is full of people serving 2 years or under for the state. Thats why so many people serving petty county time are let go so easily, because there isn't a lot of room for them.

Honestly, it depends on the county he is in. My fiance is in Coffee and is serving a year, with behavior he'll get out in about 8.5 - 9 months. He doesn't complain, but its a small county and everybody know everybody...

Just let him stick it out. The state isnt going to listen to it, and it will more than likely create more of a hassle for him and you if he does try to request a transfer...
Old 06-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,453 Times in 999 Posts

Actually in some county jails they can do 10 years if it is needed. Though the SENTENCING guidelines state 11 mos 29 days stay in county and anything over a year are sentenced to the pen that doesn't mean they are bound by law to be sent to the pen. In Sumner County, they have inmates that are doing 6 and 8 year sentences in their entirety at the county jail and no law is being broken. How it works is this. When prisons get beds open they start notifying the county jails. The county jails then choose which of the state committed inmates to send for those beds. Here is the problem, the rules are that the largest counties get called first when bed come available, so smaller counties drop down far enough that inmates can end up doing a substantial amount of time before getting picked up for the ride. The sheriff explained the system to me for a story I wrote for the newspaper. I am a journalist, and contrary to what one person said up there, SOME journalists care very much what happens to inmates. My son is a felon and I care.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennwife View Post
My hubby tells me they can keep state prisons in county jail for up to one yr under law. So, if he only has 8 months to do...then it is not worth the system's time, money and effort to move him from the jail to the prison. Prisons are overcrowded and he has a short sentence.

My hubby spent 6 months in the county jail last yr and it was terrible. They never sent outside at all. He was kept in a room no bigger than my livingroom with 40+ other guys. No time out of the cell, no outside time, and terrible food. Staph infections ect are rampant and spread easy when the inmates are crammed up together.

And no one cares...you can write the TV stations, the newspapers, the congress people...and they are just felons and no one will care!!!

The only thing you can do is supply as much money as you can so he can buy extra food and VITAMINS.....make sure he orders the vitamins. No sunlight will cause your body to deteriorate and in these conditions the vitamins are the only defense.
My son could not buy viiiiiiitani

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of sound mind.
II Timothy 1:7
Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 AM

My hubby has been in and out for about 15 years.... he told me "usually" if you have less than a year to serve they will keep you in county jail. He has never stayed more than a month or two. He begs them to take him to prison....

Old 09-24-2010, 10:41 AM

you can do any amount of time in county jail if it is considered a state facility and gets state funding! call tdoc and push issue along with jail admin. you have to push and stay on them they will move him if you keep on them if thats what he wants