Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > VIRGINIA > Virginia Laws & Legislation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Virginia Laws & Legislation Post all legal information and questions here about laws and legislation in Virginia.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Help me find housing for Sex Offender.

Hi,
I wanted to know if anyone in Virginia can help me find housing for someone charged with a Sex Offense. No children were involved.

I am trying to help my friend find a place to live before he is released.
I do know in Virginia that a Sex offender cannot live within 500 feet of a child day center, a public park, a secondary, primary or high school, regardless if the offense was with a child or an adult.

So, can anyone tell me if it is a problem finding a house, apartment or trailer to rent for someone with that type of record.
I am quite sure most do criminal background checks and will ask on the rental application if they have ever been charged with any crimes.

So, is anyone else in this situation or knows someone that is in this situation?
What are the laws?
Can he be refused?
Please help.

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,933 Times in 1,167 Posts

I don't know about SO, but I do know that a lot of apartments and rental places have clauses that no convicted felons can live there. It is the new discrimination. I would say the best bet would be a private home that doesn't go through a rental service so there won't be such a detailed rental agreement.

The Following User Says Thank You to dwfighterva For This Useful Post:
Christine41 (03-24-2013)
Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 PM

a lot of apartments have a second chance program for credit, they offer no aplication fee and only check credit against there own company. these places dont always run background checks. they do require check stubs to prove job so thats another issue. money talks though i know a lot of places renting to anyone who could put down 6 mos rent. but im in newport news .

YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE

Hebrews 13:3 - Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
The Following User Says Thank You to harasubam For This Useful Post:
Christine41 (03-24-2013)
Old 05-20-2010, 04:01 PM

Default Housing for V Sex Offender Help

Thank you for your kind responses. The only thing I have gotten so far is: it would be best to rent from an individual, such as a house or a trailer on private property.
I hope that I will be able to afford that!
I wrote the State Police on the Offender website and asked if there were any laws pertaining to renting to a VSO and this was the reply.

"There are no laws prohibiting someone from renting a residence to an offender, with the exception of the proximity laws. A landlord always has the right to deny renting that particular residence to an offender, but there is no law governing or restricting the landlord. For more information regarding the proximity laws, you may visit our website at www.virginiatrooper.org click on Sex Offender Registry, click on FAQ’s and go to #8. "

So, I guess I will just have to start calling around and see what I am up against.
I will keep you posted, as the year passes by in case it might help others.

Thank you again, and if you find anything else out please let me know either in the forum or in private if you prefer.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 PM

what part of VA are you in? I'm currently looking for housing for me and my fiance, he is an SO and it makes it tough. I spoke with his probation officer and he actually gave me a name and number for a lady who woulds with the probation office to help SO's and their families find housing. I am actually going to be calling her this week. But I've also looked on craigslist a lot to see if I can find anything to rent privately.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 PM
PTO Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,911 Times in 9,031 Posts

Be sure to double check the residency restrictions (distance) using Google Earth. If looking for an area that may rent to SO's, try using The Registry to your advantge. Put in local zip codes and see if there is a particular area and/or apartment builing etc that has several SO's living there or nearby.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:08 PM

If you find any info, please let me know. My sister is in a similar situation and she has no idea of what to do. I feel bad because I cant even answer her questions and her kids father is going to be released in 2 weeks. so any info would really help.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:02 PM

It's best to determine where others in the same situation live. They may have a room to rent or share a house or something along those lines. Also, if you find a house or apartment available, drive around it (not the offender if that's the case) and see if any prohibited areas are nearby. Google Earth is good, but I'm the kind of person that likes to see for myself instead of allowing a computer to tell me.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:33 PM

I don't know if this will help but where I live in NOVA there is a registered sex offender in the condo building next to me - so I am assuming they allow SO's there - I believe the condo is through a private party

That is probably your best bet - also try looking for a "room for rent" maybe that might help????
Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 PM
Always Doin' My Best

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,933 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
If looking for an area that may rent to SO's, try using The Registry to your advantge. Put in local zip codes and see if there is a particular area and/or apartment builing etc that has several SO's living there or nearby.
That is an excellent idea!!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:27 PM
PTO Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,911 Times in 9,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizhume View Post
It's best to determine where others in the same situation live. They may have a room to rent or share a house or something along those lines. Also, if you find a house or apartment available, drive around it (not the offender if that's the case) and see if any prohibited areas are nearby. Google Earth is good, but I'm the kind of person that likes to see for myself instead of allowing a computer to tell me.

NO! Sorry for yelling You cannot "drive around." The distance is measured "as the crow flies." Its measured from property line to property line in a straight line. It cannot be "driven."
Old 04-06-2011, 01:23 PM

Does anyone know of any halfway or treatment houses for sex offenders?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Thumbs down

When a sex offender will be required to register after release from prison, does anyone in the justice system go over the residence restrictions with the released inmate? Seems to me that might be done by: (1) a counselor within DOC, (2) the parole officer, and/or (3) the State Police or other law enforcement agency where the released offender makes his first registration. I've looked over the FAQs on the State Police website and noticed that some restrictions depend on the date of the offense and others depend on the age difference between the offender and the victim. Is any official in the system responsible to inform the offender of his particular restrictions, or is the offender responsible for finding out on his own?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:50 AM

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,450 Times in 3,299 Posts

OK, this is how it goes, the state police basically stay out of it except with the registering stuff...basically they leave it to the parole/probation officer. Expect some very strict restrictions. Such as not allowed contact with minors,not to be able to go to church, no matter what the offense and things like that. No, they do not inform them, if he is in doubt he has to ask questions. The more communication with the PO the better.

Site Mod: Virginia, General Health Care, PTO Lounge, Husbands and Boyfriends, General Prison Talk, Texas, and Prison Legal.

Last edited by Onedaycloser13; 03-24-2013 at 09:54 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 AM

PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 6,450 Times in 3,299 Posts

I was thinking about this last night, I do think he received an overall list of things that all sex offenders cannot do, however there are individual things that the PO put on him. So although, there are tons of things overall, which some are dictated by the RSO, there are more than with the PO's restrictions. He did not know any of this though, until he was released and met with PO.

Site Mod: Virginia, General Health Care, PTO Lounge, Husbands and Boyfriends, General Prison Talk, Texas, and Prison Legal.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:22 PM

Default hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNA392 View Post
what part of VA are you in? I'm currently looking for housing for me and my fiance, he is an SO and it makes it tough. I spoke with his probation officer and he actually gave me a name and number for a lady who woulds with the probation office to help SO's and their families find housing. I am actually going to be calling her this week. But I've also looked on craigslist a lot to see if I can find anything to rent privately.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am trying to find out if there is any financial assistance for sex offenders in southwest Virginia. My brother is in his 60's, has very poor health and is living on a little over $700.00 a month from social security as he is unable to work. His apartment rent is $450.00 a month so you see that is almost all his money. I am trying to find out if anyone knows of financial help for people in this situation. He doesn't qualify for most programs due to his crime.
Thanks for any help