Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions Post all legal information and questions here about laws in Michigan.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:12 PM

Default Do prisoners lose all rights to their property

Do prisoners loose all rights to their property when they go to prision? My son lived with his girlfriend for 4 years in a new house that he paid to have built. He is now in prison and the bank wants her out by July 3. I have power of lawyer. She is going to be moving out and she is claiming EVERYTHING is her because he is in prison. She claims to have talked to lawyer and everything that was his is now hers. Could this be possible? We live in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2010, 07:34 PM

If he has proof that some things are his then no she can not do that. When people go to prison they usually have thier family go get their stuff.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:15 PM

I am his family. Its his house and its 220 feet from mine build on 5 ac that used to mine
Old 05-18-2010, 07:08 AM

If it is right there and you know it is his, and the stuff is his, I would take her to court for it. You have power of attorney you can do that.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:33 PM

yea-but i go to court and they spin me. go to cops they spin me and se has cops telling me that everything belongs to her now. BTW I went into my son's garage and picked up my rims (I have different rims for summer and winter-these are orginal Roush rims with Roush all over them and I'm the only one around with a Roush) and her new boyfriend called cops and she said I was stealing from her. Cops told me I can't do that.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Is her name on the home in any way? If not then she doesn't have any claim to it. They weren't married so she is not entitled to any of it. If the contracts to build the home were in his name then that is proof that he owns those things, not her. The cops are only going to do as little as possible to resolve the situation right then and there. They will let the courts figure something else out. If you can prove that he owns the house then I would start an eviction process for her.

The other problem that you will have is if your son owns the home then the state can take the home to pay for any fines he may have or even his stay in prison. Either way he seems to lose out in the end.

I would suggest that you speak to a lawyer ASAP about your son's rights and the rights that this girlfriend professes to have.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 PM
No BULLSHIT member

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,646 Times in 3,532 Posts

Ditto to what LH said. If they are not married she has NO claim to anything except her own personal property. You need to have an attorney and have him file a restraining order preventing her from removing anything from the property without the court's permission. If not, and she is allowed to clean him out HE loses, big time! If you have power of attorney for him that is a GREAT help. Don't waste time contacting an attorney. Once she starts cleaning the place out, you might has well consider his stuff gone.
Lions Heart (05-27-2010)