Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan Prison and Legal News & Events What is making news in Michigan relating to the prison system, the criminal justice system, etc? Find it here!

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 09:14 AM
ExtremeCaution's Avatar
ExtremeCaution ExtremeCaution is offline
Crawlin thru the wreckage

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Waterford Michigan
Posts: 757
Thanks: 74
Thanked 291 Times in 191 Posts
Default Info on Social Security benefits for inmates/families

We both got our Social Security statements recently and will be getting to that age not too long from now, so I got this info from socialsecurity.gov website. Hope it is helpful to some.

What Prisoners Should Know About Social Security

SSA Publication No. 05-10133, June 2007 [View .pdf] (Español) Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments generally are not payable for months that you are confined to a jail, prison or certain other public institutions for commission of a crime. And, you are not eligible for Social Security or SSI payments automatically when you are released.


Who can get Social Security benefits? Who can get SSI payments? When you are ready to be released Contacting Social Security

Who can get Social Security benefits?

Social Security disability benefits can be paid to people who have recently worked and paid Social Security taxes and are unable to work because of a serious medical condition that is expected to last at least a year or result in death. The fact that a person is a recent parolee or is unemployed does not qualify as a disability.
Social Security retirement benefits can be paid to people who are 62 or older. Generally, you must have worked and paid Social Security taxes for 10 years to be eligible.
Social Security benefits are not paid for the months you have been sentenced to a jail,
prison or correctional facility or confined to certain public institutions for committing a crime. And, no benefits can be paid for any month in which you violate a condition of your probation or parole.
Although you cannot receive monthly Social Security benefit payments while you are confined, your spouse or children can be paid benefits on your record if they are eligible.
And if you have worked and paid Social Security taxes, survivors benefits also may be paid to certain family members if you die.

Who can get SSI payments?

SSI can be paid to people who are 65 or older, or who are blind or disabled and whose income and resources are below certain limits. No benefits are payable for any month in which you reside in a jail, prison or certain other public institutions.
Also, you cannot receive an SSI payment for any month in which you violate a condition of your probation or parole.

When you are ready to be released

If your Social Security or SSI benefits were suspended because you were incarcerated, you can request that they be started again when you are released from prison. You will need to contact Social Security and provide a copy of your release documents before we can take action on your request.
If you were not receiving benefits prior to your incarceration or your benefits were terminated, you will need to file a new application for benefits if you think you may be eligible. You should contact Social Security for more information about filing a claim for benefits. We will require proof of your release from prison, in addition to a new application and other documents.
If your institution has a prerelease agreement with the local Social Security office, it will notify us if you are likely to meet the requirements for SSI or Social Security benefits. We can then process an application several months before your anticipated release so that benefits can start as soon as possible after your release. You should contact institutional or social service staff to find out if the institution has a prerelease agreement with Social Security.
If there is no agreement, when you know your anticipated release date, contact Social Security to apply for benefits if you think you may be eligible. Then we can take prompt action on your application.

Contacting Social Security

Our website is a valuable resource for information about all of Social Security’s programs. There are a number of things you can do online.
In addition to using our website, you can call us toll-free at 1-800-772-1213. We treat all calls confidentially. We can answer specific questions from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. We can provide information by automated phone service 24 hours a day. (You can use our automated response system to tell us a new address or request a replacement Medicare card.) If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you may call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778.
We also want to make sure you receive accurate and courteous service. That is why we have a second Social Security representative monitor some telephone calls.


Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExtremeCaution For This Useful Post:
Lions Heart (05-13-2010), merrandr (06-10-2010), PTO-97580 (05-11-2010), sandymom (05-14-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 PM
sandymom's Avatar
sandymom sandymom is offline
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 5,809
Thanks: 2,480
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,361 Posts

Before one of my son's parole hearing his ARUS asked that I go to SSI office and get some sort of approval that my son would be getting SSI again. I went to the office in Grand Rapids and was told that my son would need to be there in person. I was told that since my son was on SSI/SSDI previous to incarceration that he should be able to start back on SSI without much problem. I asked the person at the SS office if she would give me some sort of written notification that I had been there and of the information that she gave me. She did this without hesitation, so my husband showed that to the ARUS at the parole hearing.

Hebrews 13:3 NIV3Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:38 PM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics