Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) Unit Specific Forums > Powledge Prison Unit - Texas
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-26-2002, 12:05 PM

Angry My husbands going to Palestine Texas

Hello All, My husband has been sent to Palestine Texas. To the Powledge Unit . Does any one know any thing about this unit??? Good bad??? Hes a m-o now so that will help. I know its got to be better but, 1200 miles away. How in the world do they expect us to visit ????
Old 09-29-2002, 10:19 PM

Donna, that is awful about him being sent so far from you. My heart goes out to you. Unfortunately I don't know anything about the place in question but if you just keep posting someone WILL know something eventually. Regardless, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

hugs!.....Shari
Old 09-30-2002, 11:21 AM

Default nieghbors!!

Hello. My husband is also in Palestine...well, it is actually Tennessee Colony. He is not in Powledge, though. I haven't heard anything bad about it. The bad one in that area is Michael Unit...from what I hear. But the people down there are really nice. If you ever need driving directions down there just let me know. It is easy, but you go so far into the woods you will think you are lost! It is a beautiful area though! Let me know how I can help you.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:17 PM
Been here forever

my heart goes out to you donna,,,, that unit is not that bad, i wrote some one there beofre which was a while back ago, and he said it was ok, he aslo said that he been is worse places

lulu
Old 10-01-2002, 09:42 AM

Well He was wrong with his info. Rob ended up at the Furgeson unit. No camp and so far away. Im not sure but like 1200 miles still or more. Its just another dang prison. I was told hed go to a camp or pre release facility. I swear just when you think you might get somewhere !@#$%.... Does anyone know anything about Furgeson in Midway???? Im sorry Im just frustrated. It doesnt seem that Texas cares how good they are, How much they take to stay out of trouble. Before he left Plainview they shook everyone down and tore up all there stuff. I mean how resonable is that ????Thanks for posting you guys I was glad to see someone there..... Hang tough Donna
Old 10-03-2002, 06:40 PM

DEAR DONNA,
I THINK YOUR HUSBAND WILL BE OK IN PALESTINE, TX. MY FRIEND "LISA" HER HUSBAND IS THERE. YOU CAN TALK TO HER SHE'S UNDER RICHESGIRL ON PRISON TALK.COM. MY HUSBAND HAS ALWAYS BEEN SENT TO ABILENE THE MIDDLETON UNIT AND MY BROTHER IS IN THE ROBERTSON UNIT NEXT DOOR TO HIM. MY HUSBAND DIDN'T MAKE PAROLE THIS TIME AND HE'S GONNA BE MOVED SOON. I'LL KEEP IN TOUCH WITH YOU. BE STRONG! - LAURA J. COVEY
Old 10-11-2002, 06:36 PM
7 down, 3 to go

Arrow Re: My husbands going to Palestine Texas

Quote:
Originally posted by DonnaH
Hello All, My husband has been sent to Palestine Texas. To the Powledge Unit . Does any one know any thing about this unit???
Powledge Unit:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/director...s-powledge.htm

Texas Dept. Criminal Justice Unit Directory:

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/director...units-list.htm
Old 11-07-2002, 03:47 PM

Donna, I don't know anything about that unit, but a new member, you'll see her posting on the Texas forum under the name Sherron Yancy, point being that's where her son is. So you might send her a pm and she might be of some help to ya!! Hope this helps some..Hang in there..Carla (Odiesmom) =0)
Old 11-11-2002, 06:55 PM

DONNA
I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE PALESTINE TDC, BUT SOMETIMES YOU CAN GET A HARDSHIP REASON TO MOVE YOUR HUSBAND CLOSER TO HIS HOME AND FAMILY. I HAD MY SON MOVED CLOSER TO OUR HOMETOWN, JUST ABOUT A 20 MIN. DRIVE. I HAD A HEALTH PROBLEM AND WAS DENIED AT FIRST, AND SOMEONE TOLD MY SON TO GET MY STATE REPRESENTIVE TO WORK ON IT, I GOT A LETTER FROM MY DOCTOR AND IN 2 MONTHS MY SON WAS MOVED. IT WANT HURT TO TRY AND YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE, THE INMATES NEED THE FAMILY CONTACT, THAT IS WHAT ONE WARDEN OF A TDC UNIT TOLD ME. SO CHECK INTO THIS AND GOOD LUCK, EVEN IF HIS PARENTS HAVE A HEALTH PROBLEM IF YOU DONT, TRY THAT, JUST TALK TO YOUR STATE REP. OK.GOOD LUCK AND HANG IN THERE. IRISTAYLOR, I FIGHT EVERYDAY FOR MY SONS RIGHTS AS A INMATE IN TDC IN TEXAS IF I DONT WHO WILL SO DONT GIVE UP ON HIM. STAND UP FOR HIS RIGHTS AS MUCH AS YOU CAN, THEY THE PRISON OFFICIALS CAN ONLY SAY NO, IF THEY DO TRY SOMETHING ELSE. DO NOT GIVE UP, IT GETS REAL STRESSFUL SOMETIMES BUT I JUST KEEP ON TRUCKING AS THEY SAY.IRIS TAYLOR FROM TEXAS CLOSE TO HOUSTON

DO THE VERY BEST YOU CAN AND
LEAVE THE OUTCOME TO GOD

MOST PEOPLE WALK IN AND OUT OF YOUR LIFE, BUT ONLY FRIENDS LEAVE FOOTPRINTS IN YOUR HEART
The Following User Says Thank You to IRIST For This Useful Post:
so sad (01-12-2012)
Old 11-11-2002, 07:44 PM
PTO Admin - SysOp
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,928 Times in 967 Posts

Good advice IRIST.

Are you having account or other issues at PTO? If so, use the...

Old 01-21-2011, 09:26 AM

Default Move request?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaH View Post
Hello All, My husband has been sent to Palestine Texas. To the Powledge Unit . Does any one know any thing about this unit??? Good bad??? Hes a m-o now so that will help. I know its got to be better but, 1200 miles away. How in the world do they expect us to visit ????
Hi DonnaH,
My brother is in the Powledge Unit.First; NONE of these places are good, But some are better than others. We have a bit of a problem even now.
I'm hoping it gets corrected today.
I have spoken to the officials in Huntsville and have had my brother moved a couple of time. Once he was in Childres, Tx. I live in Mississippi. Several hundred miles from Childress. Hardship to family. Ill family members that couldn't travel that far; access to better education facilities: vocational and work facilities. Just tell the truth, though. Ha.! Some very trying things happen and you just have to deal with the them as they come; and you will, somehow.
There are officials to call if trouble strikes.
It's hard so be strong and have faith in God; the one that can get you through this.
Shirley
Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 AM
PTO Staff on LOA

Thanked 4,121 Times in 971 Posts

Of all the units in Tennessee Colony (Beto, Cofield, Michael, Gurney, and Powledge), the Powledge unit is the smallest one of the 5. At one time it was called Beto II. It was a trusty farm where outside trustees were housed. Since then it has become more of a medically unassigned unit and also houses a number of men who are up in years where age is concerned. The living quarters are set up in the cubicle style. I don’t think there are any 2 man cells as in Beto, Michael, and Cofield nor are there any dorms with bunk beds in them seen at places like Gurney.

Powledge is the safest unit in Tennessee Colony to do time and more laid back. You won’t see problems such as gang activity, rioting, people being stabbed or the constant fighting that is more common on these other units. It’s a better place to do your time. Some men I’ve talked to in the past who have done their time there have said that the guards have a tendency to pick at you more, but they do that to some degree on all prisons so, you have to take your lumps.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firebrand For This Useful Post:
Renee (02-01-2011), so sad (01-12-2012), tomuchstress (03-12-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Thanked 4,945 Times in 2,968 Posts

Ummm ... DonnaH hasn't posted since July of 2003 or logged on since January of 2004. This thread dates from 2002.
Mike1963 (02-01-2011), ReggiesLady (02-03-2011), Renee (02-01-2011)
Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaH View Post
My baby's been at Powledge for over a year now. I've been there several times. He was at Beto Unit, which is right down the road, he didn't like it there. I feel that he is safer there than any place else he could be. The guards are very professional, the whole place is fairly laid back. Art says it's like a retirement home. He's 51, and medically disabled. The food isn't very good, he's lost 130 pounds on the TDCJ diet. They don't put up with much of anything there. If you fight, you're sent to another unit. From everything I've heard, if you have to be in prison, Powledge is one of the quietest and safest.
The Following User Says Thank You to longgone22 For This Useful Post:
so sad (01-12-2012)