Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Exclamation I Need To File A Complaint About A County Jail!

I know that you can file a complaint against an officer but I have no idea how to file against a correctional facility.

I visited my man for the first time in a County Jail in Wisconsin. Another woman was visiting as well and yelled (literally yelled loudly) obscenities and derogatory things about me to my man, as well as pounded on the glass partition.

She pretty much caused a tantrum, he was obviously getting more and more hurt and offended by it, and other visitors were distracted and tried not to stare at her in disbelief.

It was a Medium 3 security visit, there was no Correctional Officer around (and it says specifically on the website that no inappropriate attire or behavior will be tolerated) and therefore no one intervened. Also, I was locked into the visiting room and wasn't allowed to leave until the visiting hour was up.

I talked to my Intro to Criminal Justice teacher, on theoretical terms, and he says it varies by jail/prisons, but that a Correctional Officer should have been present and that he sees no reason at all why I shouldn't have been able to leave the room.

I want to file a compliant against the jail. I know that you can make an anonymous complaint against a police office,r and I'm assuming that I can do this anonymously as well. I want them to review the video and audiotape and make note of her behavior.

Where can I get the form?

How can I do this?

Can it be anonymous?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 AM

Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,467 Posts

The law enforcement agency (county sheriff or city police) who run the jail will have a complaint procedure, usually posted on their web site.
The only way to remain anonymous is to provide no identifying information; and that may make the exercise pointless.
You could also consider contacting the Jail Commander (usually a Captain or Lieutenant ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzola View Post
I know that you can file a complaint against an officer but I have no idea how to file against a correctional facility.

I visited my man for the first time in a County Jail in Wisconsin. Another woman was visiting as well and yelled (literally yelled loudly) obscenities and derogatory things about me to my man, as well as pounded on the glass partition.

She pretty much caused a tantrum, he was obviously getting more and more hurt and offended by it, and other visitors were distracted and tried not to stare at her in disbelief.

It was a Medium 3 security visit, there was no Correctional Officer around (and it says specifically on the website that no inappropriate attire or behavior will be tolerated) and therefore no one intervened. Also, I was locked into the visiting room and wasn't allowed to leave until the visiting hour was up.

I talked to my Intro to Criminal Justice teacher, on theoretical terms, and he says it varies by jail/prisons, but that a Correctional Officer should have been present and that he sees no reason at all why I shouldn't have been able to leave the room.

I want to file a compliant against the jail. I know that you can make an anonymous complaint against a police office,r and I'm assuming that I can do this anonymously as well. I want them to review the video and audiotape and make note of her behavior.

Where can I get the form?

How can I do this?

Can it be anonymous?
Old 04-23-2010, 10:27 AM
PTO Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,688 Times in 9,350 Posts

Also, I'm not sure about Wisconsin, but in Ky, some county jails are "Full Service Facilities." Meaning that they house state inmates. If that's the case, you can also complain to the DOC about procedures at the jail.