Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:18 AM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts
Question Can ex felons attend college?

Marc sent me something for some technical school around here.He asked me to mail it in.he now has something he's completed with welding in there and he says he wants to further his education by going to a tech school for welding technology.I sent the paperwork in for him,but i'm just wondering,can a person attend college who is an ex-felon???
Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2010, 11:24 AM
*Stargazing*
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,551 Times in 5,625 Posts

I believe they can Beth.
I was talking to my friend the day before yesterday who did 28 years, and he is going into Criminal Justice, he is going to one of the local colleges...im so proud of him he is such an inspiration!
Good for Marc that he wants to go further!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpicaRigel For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (04-16-2010), Mrs.Hidalgo (04-04-2011)
Old 04-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,298 Times in 761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsbeth View Post
Marc sent me something for some technical school around here.He asked me to mail it in.he now has something he's completed with welding in there and he says he wants to further his education by going to a tech school for welding technology.I sent the paperwork in for him,but i'm just wondering,can a person attend college who is an ex-felon???
Yes, you can attend college w/ a past felony. I'm not sure on financial aid, or student loans - someone should come along soon who can address that, but ex-felons can certainly attend college
Old 04-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Top Knotch
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,258 Posts

Im sure he can.. Yay beth im so happy for you

LOVING MY INMATE

The Following User Says Thank You to rockys lil girl For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (04-16-2010)
Old 04-16-2010, 11:58 AM
A fresh start

Thanked 1,418 Times in 841 Posts

Yes, ex-felons can attend college. I don't know if they are restriction on financial aid or anything. I am so happy for you!! I hope Marc does further his education; he will be an influence for alot of people!!

-Formerly known as Dennisgirl-

A fresh start for my kids and I because we are worth it!!
The Following User Says Thank You to NewHorizon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 12:10 PM

The Higher Education Act of 1998; Congress barred ex-felons from being allowed to receive Pell Grants, the largest type of federal student loans. Many states have adopted restrictions on access to educational funds.

Best bet for financial aid is to speak with a financial advisor at the particular school he is interested in attending.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yourlittleone For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (04-16-2010), Scott (04-16-2010)
Old 04-16-2010, 01:49 PM
amber lynn awesome
Donation Award 

My friend did 7 years in fed and had his mom apply for FAFSA before he got out. He got financial aid and was able to do a work program for extra money while he's in school. I'm not sure of each state's restrictions or guidelines, but it's definitely a possibility. Good luck to Marc (and you, too, of course!)!
Old 04-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourlittleone View Post
The Higher Education Act of 1998; Congress barred ex-felons from being allowed to receive Pell Grants, the largest type of federal student loans. Many states have adopted restrictions on access to educational funds.

Best bet for financial aid is to speak with a financial advisor at the particular school he is interested in attending.
Here's the rules regarding felons: from the Act itself: Note that it only applies to certain kinds of crimes, and then for a certain period of time - except for three or more offenses...
(r) SUSPENSION OF ELIGIBILITY FOR DRUG-RELATED OFFENSES-

(1) IN GENERAL- A student who has been convicted of any offense under any Federal or State law involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance shall not be eligible to receive any grant, loan, or work assistance under this title during the period beginning on the date of such conviction and ending after the interval specified in the following table:

If convicted of an offense involving:

The possession of a controlled substance:

Ineligibility period is:

First offense
1 year

Second offense
2 years

Third offense
Indefinite.

The sale of a controlled substance:

Ineligibility period is:

First offense
2 years

Second offense
Indefinite.

(2) REHABILITATION- A student whose eligibility has been suspended under paragraph (1) may resume eligibility before the end of the ineligibility period determined under such paragraph if--

(A) the student satisfactorily completes a drug rehabilitation program that--
(i) complies with such criteria as the Secretary shall prescribe in regulations for purposes of this paragraph; and

(ii) includes two unannounced drug tests; or
(B) the conviction is reversed, set aside, or otherwise rendered nugatory.
Yes - your friend is probably eligible for student grants & loans. I have quite a few friends in the Oregon system who are planning on going to school when they get out. There are also exceptions to this based on completion of an accredited drug program, etc.

Last edited by Scott; 04-16-2010 at 04:08 PM..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:
6yearsncounting (04-16-2010), ambeeeezy (04-17-2010), BlueEyedEllie (04-16-2010), D4C (04-17-2010), Onaicult (04-16-2010), yourlittleone (04-17-2010)
Old 04-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Just waiting on Eddie...

Thanked 1,409 Times in 490 Posts

Yes, they can attend college. I'm proof of that.

I did get a Pell Grant b/c my charges were not drug related and I received other financial aid as well.

The only 'problem' I had (it wasn't really much of a problem) was this...I was enrolling into a community college and they did ask if I had a felonious record. I had to mark 'yes' of course...the Dean of the college called me and asked me to come speak with him concerning something on my application. I knew it had to do with record. I was sooooo nervous. But he pretty much just asked me what happened and asked me what my goals for the future were. Our 'meeting' ended up being 2.5 hours and he was actually my mentor for about 5 years after that....needless to say, he allowed me to enroll.

So yeah, he shouldn't have a prob getting into school. I don't know if he has any drug convictions, but if he does it might knock him out of some of the financial aid, but there are A LOT of scholarships, grants, etc that he can get.

Good luck!!

~"The soul would have no rainbows, if the eyes had no tears"~

"You are my world and I love being your moon." --Eddie
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WaitingOnEddie For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (04-16-2010), ImzadiValentine (03-21-2011), Scott (04-16-2010)
Old 04-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitingOnEddie View Post
The only 'problem' I had (it wasn't really much of a problem) was this...I was enrolling into a community college and they did ask if I had a felonious record. I had to mark 'yes' of course...the Dean of the college called me and asked me to come speak with him concerning something on my application. I knew it had to do with record. I was sooooo nervous. But he pretty much just asked me what happened and asked me what my goals for the future were. Our 'meeting' ended up being 2.5 hours and he was actually my mentor for about 5 years after that....needless to say, he allowed me to enroll....
What a totally cool story...isn't it funny how things like that happen!

Remember to read the bill section carefully - if you have drug charges, you are only ineligible for the period of time indicated below, which, if you have done prison time, is usually not an issue - since the time clock starts ticking at the time of your CONVICTION, not your release from prison. This really won't disqualify a lot of people, unless you are a serial drug dealer with a very long record of drug sales...that could be problematic... but even that can be waived with a certified drug treatment program.
BlueEyedEllie (04-16-2010), DustysGirl (12-04-2010)
Old 04-16-2010, 07:15 PM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts

In WA I got a grant without any problem being recently released from prison.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:25 PM
Failures=Success???

The only problem with financial aid is if you get a charge while receiving the financial aid. For instance, a drug charge. If you got the charge while you were not receiving funding, then your good.
The Following User Says Thank You to eb2009 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,298 Times in 761 Posts

My husband JUST asked me if he would be eligible for a pell grant, and I wasn't sure.
He has a drug conviction - it will have been over a year when he gets out. When he went in, he was paying off his student loans. If he starts paying on those again, would he eventually be eligible for a pell grant again, or no b/c he hadn't completed paying off his loans before he went in?
Old 04-16-2010, 07:43 PM

My son's lawyer told him of a partner in the law firm who was is an ex-felon with something like 18 years under his "prison belt". The lawyer is the top of the firm!

Needless to say, my son was happy to know that as he was only 15 when he got into a bit of trouble that has kept him away from a four year scholarship that he obtained. He is looking forward to a career in Criminal Justice and I don't see why Marc can't pursue his dreams as well. By the way, tell Marc "way to go"!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsbeth View Post
The Following User Says Thank You to tresmom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2010, 07:47 PM

Thanked 1,482 Times in 752 Posts

Mine was not a PEL grant so don't stop looking at just the PEL grants. Check with your local college as there are numerous grant programs targeting specific groups of people, like those getting out of prison and needing a new skill.

Some big employers may also offer full grants with an employee contract to stay with the employer for a minimum time. This way they can start at a basic skill level and move up as the education level increases.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Banned

Thanked 20,075 Times in 7,413 Posts

thank you for all your input.no,he isn't in for any drug convictions.fafsa is excellent.my oldest daughter got accepted at penn state and will be majoring in psychology and she is using fafsa to finance her education.philB and ds thank you guys esp for your input as you guys know thru personal experience!!
Old 04-18-2010, 03:37 AM

Default Education after release

Hi, I was not sure where to post this so forgive me if it is in the wrong forum. My fiance' John is getting out of Federal Prison, after 8 years this December. We of course are super excited but we are trying to get things lined out to make the transition as smooth as possible.
So he has set me to work. LOL.

I am suppose to be gathering information on what wwe need to do for him to obtain grants and or educational loans so that he can continue his education in the culinary arts. He has already taken some classes in this feild while incarcerated, but wants to become a full fledge chef.

Does anyone have any information on how to go about this or where I might start looking? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boogersgirl4eva For This Useful Post:
BlueEyedEllie (04-18-2010)
Old 04-18-2010, 09:28 PM

John will be home in December and wants to continue his education...if what I am reading is right, I should do his Fafsa and then talk to the school itself and see what programs they offer for ex felons... is this correct? thanks guys
BlueEyedEllie (04-19-2010)
Old 04-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogersgirl4eva View Post
John will be home in December and wants to continue his education...if what I am reading is right, I should do his Fafsa and then talk to the school itself and see what programs they offer for ex felons... is this correct? thanks guys
Yes - now is the time to get his FAFSA forms completed for the fall/winter (2010/2011) terms. You might call the financial aid office and ask if there are any special programs available for people on parole.

Evaluate with him whether it would be helpful to have a month's breathing room before he has to jump into school - otherwise, the Winter quarter should start sometime in January.

Really too...you should send the forms to him along with a catalog and let him do the forms himself. The more invested he is in the process, the greater his chances at success. These aren't real difficult forms.
BlueEyedEllie (04-19-2010), iloveyoumore (04-18-2010), Onaicult (04-19-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 PM

Right, I am in college right now myself.... so I am familiar with the FAFSA and the forms that need filled out. That is a great idea to let him help me complete the forms by doing as much as he can himself. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottsw View Post
Yes - now is the time to get his FAFSA forms completed for the fall/winter (2010/2011) terms. You might call the financial aid office and ask if there are any special programs available for people on parole.

Evaluate with him whether it would be helpful to have a month's breathing room before he has to jump into school - otherwise, the Winter quarter should start sometime in January.

Really too...you should send the forms to him along with a catalog and let him do the forms himself. The more invested he is in the process, the greater his chances at success. These aren't real difficult forms.
BlueEyedEllie (04-20-2010)
Old 04-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Also the thing is, when he obtains employment or starts school, he can get out of the halfway house. He has to go to a halfway house first and then go from there... 3 -5 weeks he can be home with me, if he is in school... so that is step number one.

I am so excited...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogersgirl4eva View Post
Right, I am in college right now myself.... so I am familiar with the FAFSA and the forms that need filled out. That is a great idea to let him help me complete the forms by doing as much as he can himself. Thanks for the advice.
BlueEyedEllie (04-20-2010)
Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 PM

Ok, so here is my question-somewhat related to the topic at hand> My fiance has decided that he wants to pursue heating and airconditioning. He will have to go to school to learn how to do it all, but he will also have to be licensed by the state. In my research, he can go to school, and according the the state's website, having a felony does not automatically exclude him from being approved for a license, but he has to meet with the board to discuss his past issues to determine whether or not he will be approved. Has anyone else had any experience with this and do you know what the approval rate might be? Is it likely he will be approved or is it difficult to get licensed? Thanks for your input!
BlueEyedEllie (04-26-2010)
Old 10-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Papi's Girl

Default Scholarships for Inmates

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, so please bear with me. My boyfriend is currently serving a 6-1/2 year sentence in Virginia. He turned his life around before he went to prision, and would like to make good use of his time there.

He would like to get a college degree while incarcerated, the problem is the funding.

Does anyone know where I would start to look for funding for inmates? Any help would be greatly appreciately!

Thanks,
Wendy
Old 10-30-2010, 03:44 PM

From my research I have not found any funding for inmates unless you can find a private person or organization willing to sponsor him.
Not sure if this was answered but anyone convicted of drug related charges is not eligible for financial aid.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:10 PM

meloo38 MY husband went to school received a full grant and then when he went for his liscense he wrote a letter explaining his past and how he wanted to be given a chance to change and how obtaining this liscense would help him care for his family, he sent the letter in along with the application and he was approved best wishes to you both.
The Following User Says Thank You to secondtimer For This Useful Post:
meloo38 (11-05-2010)