Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Parents with Children in Prison For the parents of prisoners

Old 02-20-2004, 02:41 PM

Question letter of recommendation

My son who has been sitting in jail for 5 months is finally getting his sentencing date for his probation revocation on 03/05/2004. He could face up to 10 years for a drug crime he was only a party to that happened in 1998. The person who was selling the drugs only was looking at 30 months.My son either had a bad lawyer or a very mean judge.But anyway,his new lawyer said it would be a good idea to write to the sentencing judge a letter of recommendation about my son,she said that judges tend to forget that these are real people with familys out there that care about them. Has anyone done this and what did you say and did it help at all?I really want to do the best thing for my son so maybe the judge this time will go easy on him. Thanks, Karen
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Hate Oklahoma DOC

Yes I have and I'll tell where tolook for a good draft is at "kevin Hart" just type that in and it should take you there. There are many letters to read from friends family etc. Thats where I got my idea on what to write and how. Any question's pm me
Oh and we got turnned down on our 1 yr review and I'm still fighting it.The judge is a jerk in our case. Also get letters from friends,brothers, sisters, past jobs, etc
Old 02-20-2004, 09:23 PM

i did but of no use we had a judge that is in a small town money talks .
Old 02-21-2004, 02:12 PM

Thanks for your replys. kenya,you know I never thought of that,that could have happened in my son's case,but that is in the past and I have to work on the future.Hopefully he will get a better judge this time around.Idysirois,I pm you about the kevin Hart search.I didn't find what I was looking for I must have done something wrong. Karen
Old 02-25-2004, 09:51 AM

My Son a first time offender, where upon the sentencing board rated him with 5-8 year sentence, where upon over 25 letters requesting leniency from family, friends,teachers, ROTC, lawyers, doctors, pastor, his father and myself
wrote and the Judge took all this and used it against my son. He stated that because my son was a college educated, ROTC graduate, came from a working middle class family, and not a disfunctional family, he chose not to accept the sentencing board request for 5-8 years and instead gave my only child, first time offender, non-violent crime 30 years. The Judge stated he had more compassion for the other persons found quilty along with my son. In fact the others received lesser sentencing than my son due to their disadvantage economic background. We are not rich. We are simply like ever other working class American whom pays their taxes and live by the laws of the land. The sentence upon my son does not fit the crime!!! So, all I have to say, be very careful about writing such letters. Know the Judge first....
All The Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom new to this
My son who has been sitting in jail for 5 months is finally getting his sentencing date for his probation revocation on 03/05/2004. He could face up to 10 years for a drug crime he was only a party to that happened in 1998. The person who was selling the drugs only was looking at 30 months.My son either had a bad lawyer or a very mean judge.But anyway,his new lawyer said it would be a good idea to write to the sentencing judge a letter of recommendation about my son,she said that judges tend to forget that these are real people with familys out there that care about them. Has anyone done this and what did you say and did it help at all?I really want to do the best thing for my son so maybe the judge this time will go easy on him. Thanks, Karen
Old 02-26-2004, 02:51 PM

thanks Nettie for your reply. I just sent out my letter of recommendation before I read your post. I hope the judge does not use my letter against him too. I know his father and his Grandma and his former employer are also writting letters. You would think that because there are so many people out there that have faith in a person the judge might think that this person has a chance to be a better person and give them another chance not just say to bad for you and send them off to prison. I am so sorry this happened to you. I wish you all the best in your situation and I will let you know what happens on March 5th. Karen
Old 02-27-2004, 10:34 AM

Nettie ,
since when can a judge discriminate due to how the family is? What state are you in. I would think that is a reason for a appeal. There are laws written on what the sentence should be. I would certainly look into that . like I have seen Pammy 55 write the unjustice system.
dannysmom
Old 02-27-2004, 05:06 PM

Default letter of recommendation

I agree with you. My son's case is in appeal. Hopefully, with the appeals lawyer that we hired and God willing, a sentence reduction shall occur if not the entire sentence thrown out. I will keep the site posted on the progress of this appeal. Thanks for your support...
All the Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannysmom
Nettie ,
since when can a judge discriminate due to how the family is? What state are you in. I would think that is a reason for a appeal. There are laws written on what the sentence should be. I would certainly look into that . like I have seen Pammy 55 write the unjustice system.
dannysmom
Old 02-27-2004, 08:24 PM
pammie55us

I think it all depends on who the judge is and what their like....I think I would be like you and try it any way...you never know until you try .....Pam....Matt & Shanes Mom
Old 02-27-2004, 10:27 PM

Thanks again to all who posted and Nettie please keep us up to date on your son's case. I still can't believe a judge could do something like that. Karen
Old 02-29-2004, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom new to this
I wrote and spoke with the sentencing Judge and it helped. Judge gave him the minimum sentence. I think judges are better than lawyers. I was humble and honest with I spoke with him and I did not talk about anyone's elses sentence. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:29 AM
God made him 4 me 2 LOVE!

I was wondering if a letter of rec. is also appropriate after the sentencing. I was never told I could do this- his attorney was in such a hurry to be over with this due to renovating his new office.. What a jerk. I'm just affaid my man will lose all hope this time around. I was thinking of sending it out certified is this out of line?

Old 03-01-2004, 07:35 PM

I don't know much about this topic...however, you need to act fast... In most states I think there is a procedure after sentencing, request for sentence reduction, however it must be filed ASAP... So call a lawyer for advice like "yesterday"... All the Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmora4me
I was wondering if a letter of rec. is also appropriate after the sentencing. I was never told I could do this- his attorney was in such a hurry to be over with this due to renovating his new office.. What a jerk. I'm just affaid my man will lose all hope this time around. I was thinking of sending it out certified is this out of line?