Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region II Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Florida - Region II Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities:: Baker CI, Columbia CI, Columbia Annex, Cross City CI, FL State Prison, FL State Prison – West, Hamilton CI, Hamilton Annex, Lake City CF, Lancaster CI, Lawtey CI, Lowell CI, Lowell Annex, Lowell Reception Center, Madison CI, Marion CI, Mayo Annex, Putnam CI, RMC-Main, RMC-W, Suwannee CI, Suwannee Annex, Tomoka CI, Union CI

Old 02-19-2004, 07:44 AM

Thumbs down Lowell Correctional Institution Q&A

If anyone goes into that "hell hole" I hope they never complain because they will retaliate! My daughter told me her dorm was so bad, worms coing out of sinks, no showers working, toilets, holes in windows & it was freezing etc etc. Well I complained & the state came in & made repairs but at what cost? They transferred my daughter, before she left she spent 3 days in a dorm worse then that I guess to show her then was transferred to Homestead which I hear is really bad. The warden is evil & sadistic, they sd it will be easier for family to visit, come to find out it's over 4hrs one way! They will get you!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2004, 07:48 AM

Damn, I am sorry to hear that, but I don't have a female loved one in the prison system, but I have been by Dade CI, because i live in Miami, it is a pretty big facility, but i really didn't see Homestead CI, even though, they are both on the same compound. I hope it gets better for your daughter.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:11 AM

Default Best friend going to Lowell, in ocala

My best friend Julie is going to Lowell CI in ocala fl tommorrow, anyone have loved one there who can tell me anything about it?Tommorrow will be her first day in prison, I am worried about her!!Please respond asap!!!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:26 PM

Hi Corey,

Read your thread. I was in Lowell C.I. I understand your concern. Lowell is definitely not the worst prison to be in. There were a lot of nice Corrections officers when I was there. But as always there are ones that are pure as*****s. However if she just stays away from the troublemakers she'll be alright. Just give her the advice to keep her head up, and keep focused on when she'll be home again. If she doesn't it will make her time there a lot harder to do. Trust me. Tell her to do everything in her power not to get a disciplinary report or it will take her gain time and she will be in there longer. I was stupid and lost two months. Tell her I said good luck, and good luck to you too.
JJ

Post edited by Forum Leader for language - please refer to PTO policy on language use

Last edited by JamesWifey; 09-16-2005 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: Language
Old 09-16-2005, 08:38 PM

Good luck to your friend Julie. JJ gave you some pretty good advice. My childhood girlfriend spent about 2 years at Lowell. Let her know you support her, write to her often, and visit when/if you can! That will make her time there much more pleasant. Best wishes to you both.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:58 PM
seeking recovered ex-cons

Exclamation

i too was in lowell... like JJ mentioned it's all in what you do to keep to yourself, stay away from making frineds, keep clear of CO's (especially if they are on a tangent) AND DO WHAT YOUR ASKED "REGARDLESS....

it's an alright prison ... easy to get around.. hard to get in trouble... but little to do

i pray that i may pass on my blessings --i pray that they may flow into the lives of others
Old 03-12-2006, 01:27 PM

Hello Corey,

My Girlfriend is in Lowell also I am planning to make my first visit to Lowell, I hope all is well with Juile, it must be tough on you self because I pray for my girlfriend homecoming and it not for at least a year.

Matt
Old 06-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear that. My pen pal is incarcerated at Lowell but I haven't heard her about worms yet, which is about the only thing she hasn't encountered yet in there it seems
Old 11-07-2006, 05:45 PM
Eternal soulmates!

Default Any info please Lowell CI

My wife was just transferred from pasco county to lowell. At least that is what I think. I cant get any information on where she is. How long before they can make a phone call? Or send a letter out? I am so fearful. My mind is just flying without any information as to her status and welfare. I hate it! Thank you. Forever Jennifers! Cameron
Old 11-09-2006, 05:48 PM

My daughter was at Lowell for only a few weeks before getting shipped out to Hernando. From what I hear, Hernando is one of the best places for women. She didn't have alot of good things to say about Lowell except it had ac..of course that doesn't mean much this time of year. You can check out your wife by going on the FLDOC website:
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ and click on Offender search.

Also, if you register on vine link, you will be notified by email whenever she is transferred. http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/victasst/index.html#vine

Hope this helps you. Remember you can write to her often. We have all been through the horrible waiting. It could be 4-6 weeks or so until you get to visit. She will send you a visitation approval form. Just make sure you fill it out entirely and send it back as soon as possible. I followed up with a phone call to the CO and was approved soon after that. Let me know if you have any other questions I can help you with.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Eternal soulmates!

Thank you so much Ariesmom. I am just worried sick. I have not heard from her at all. I am sending letters everyday and just waiting and praying! We had discussed her requesting Hernando or Hillsburough. I dont care where she goes I just want to see my wife! One other question that I have not been able to find an answer to. When she gets where ever they are going to put her and I have visitation. Am I able to go see her on both saturday and sunday? or just one day? And am I able to do that every weekend or just certian ones? Thank you so much for your time. Cameron
Old 11-10-2006, 01:17 PM

You can visit every Sat and Sun from 9am-3pm. There are also holiday visitations as follows:

Regular visiting is permitted on the following holidays:
  • New Year's Day
  • Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. (third Monday in January)
  • Memorial Day
  • Independance Day
  • Labor Day
  • Veteran's Day (November 11th)
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Friday after Thanksgiving; and
  • Christmas Day
If any of the holidays listed above falls on Saturday, the preceding Friday will be observed as a holiday. If any of these holidays fall on Sunday, then the following Monday will be observed as the holiday.

It will be much easier on you both when you get your visits. As Tom Petty said, "The waiting is the hardest part" I was exactly where you are a few months ago so I do understand what you are going through. My daughter is 23 and in the Youthful Offender Program. She has already completed her GED and takes web design and I'm looking into college courses for her as well. At least her time can be used productively.

Good luck and hope your wife is able to contact you soon. Let us know when you hear from her and if you have any questions don't hesitate.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:54 PM
Eternal soulmates!

Thank you all so much again! I am so glad that I found this site. you all are so vital to my sanity! Thank you for your information! You are right waiting is the hardest part! Reconsideration and appeals are next! Yet I know that if I have to wait all 11 yrs I damn sure will! I would walk through hell just to hold her hand! Thank you again! Cameron
Old 11-11-2006, 08:46 PM

Cameron the best thing to keep in mind is keep a check on your wife's DOC web page it will tell you when she is moved and where she is moved to. this site is updated each and every time they are moved and again each and every weekend you can't save her page to your favorites as with each update the url changes in just a little so its not a saveable link. also each time she is moved a new picture will be taken and something there, they do not move them in the middle of the day its most of the time they are woke up at 2-3 am told to pack their stuff and are moved out. so if she looks tired in the picture she most likely is from getting up like that. Another down side to this moving is that she will most likely have to have new cosmetics each time because what one place will let you have the other won't... and sometimes I think they do that to make more money off the inmates... You can save her page as a word doc and that way you have the different pictures and what they have on her web site. To see if there is any change on there. the time is hard to deal with but its do able not many men will stand by their wives when they go in as its not an easy life to deal with. there will be times that you will be asked some of the most stupid questions under the sun then other people will treat you like you have lost your mind for staying true to her.. those out there that have never dealt with a loved one behind the wire do not understand it... they feel that marriage is forever no matter what... but tell them your husband or wife is in prison they are all for fixing you up with someone else thats better for you... and telling you to drop the one that is the thing that makes breathing worth the trouble. there will be family that will look down on you because after a year or so they will forget about them and wonder why you haven't they will stop talking about them stop taking calls stop writing and just think of them on a long trip or living out of state when the holidays come around. they won't understand the good times you have on a visiting day that you are sitting in a room full of yelling people and the only one you can see is them and can only hear their voice no matter what or who is around you. where you will go and stand and wait though count each time they go out just to be with them even though you can't stand next to them. you will have to fight to not reach out and hug them or kiss them to not grab them and try and take them home with you... you find that you can make love to them with your eyes and the feel of your hand in theirs you will find that each and every second you have with them will be something you re-live over and over again to get though that week till you can go again to see them or can hear their voice on the phone or to feel the letter or card they touched in your hands.. and it will kill you when you come home after work and no one is there and no letter is waiting for you and its not your day to get that call.... you will find you will fill their side of the bed just to have that space taken up month after month year after year....
Then you will have the cops calling up asking for money wanting you to donate.. I tell them I donated enough I donated my husband for 30 years for 62.00 they hang up after that statement. I wish you every happiness in the world for you both and know that we are out here when you feel you can't talk to anyone else because they just do not understand...
I would not trade one day of my life that I have had with George for any other man in this world he is the reason I fight to make sure all inmates are treated fairly because if I fight for all of them I help him also!
Deborah
The Following User Says Thank You to or-mtwt For This Useful Post:
Beren (07-18-2010)
Old 11-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Eternal soulmates!

Thank you so much or-mtwt! I have been checking every day. I didnt know that it will change. I am so freaked out by all of this! I thought I hated her in county! OMG! I am so worried! I have not heard from her at all! That is killing me! And to be told that I will not be able to hear from her for 6 mo. (thats if she already put in her list and didnt get our new house #) I just want to hear from her! some way! I thank you so much for your advise and unput! You all are so GREAT! I am fighting her spending 9 yrs. Thats with gain time. I will be here till the end! I know and tell her every day that I will not rest until she is home in my arms! It took me 32yrs to find THE ONE! This will not take her away! NOR ME! I see what you mean by family. They just dont see what we see! I look at it now as they never really found THE ONE! I know I have and I thank GOD every day for her! No matter what! My oath to her besides our vows is that " I would walk through HELL just to hold her hand!" No matter what I am waiting! Wanting needing her! And NO ONE will ever change my mind! I know how you feel about the phone calls. I have been called here recently by the state attorney wanting my help on some people I have been in contact with. I told them that my assistance was over! I will never assist them or any law enforcement again! And I use to be one! NO WAY! I am so disgusted with Florida! I am from Texas and I know we are hard yet still there is uniformity! I know it does happen every where. Sorry. on soap box again! Thank you again! From the bottom of my heart! Cameron
Old 11-12-2006, 06:15 PM

nine years is a long time but you will find it will go by faster then you might think. Just understand she will have no control over anything in her life and because of this and because of the talk that goes on she will be very worried about you being there for her when she finely gets to come home.. both male and female inmates feel the same way and that stress is very hard to deal with. others will use it against her too. and she will try and put added pressure on you in the way of trying to control you because you are the only one she can be her self with.... as for 6 months to get on the phone list, that seems a bit out there...

I left you a reply in another thread where I said to contact the prison by email, (can be found on prison's home page under the mailing address.) I'd bring that 6 months up in that email and find out if it takes that long. Now if you get to far gone just call the prison and ask to talk to the chaplian they might be able to help you with talking to her. the least they can do is say no... but they could also say yes... but if you didn't ask you wouldn't know....

Last edited by or-mtwt; 11-12-2006 at 06:17 PM..
Old 12-06-2006, 05:28 PM
thug.lyf3_wife4lyf3

I was at Lowell CI in 1995 & it was strict and the dorm i was in was h-dorm a.k.a star dorm the dirtiest on the compound i was transferred immediately to gadsden CI
Old 01-27-2007, 09:14 AM
waiting_on_him_2018

There is no uniformity in the Laws in Florida, the judges do not know what they are doing and the lawyers are PRACTICING law (exactly) In our case his PD asked to be removed, that was denied. The dumb judge pronounced sentence before the sentence phase of the trial and then changed it, because of the 10-20-life law. His appeal lawyer waited to the last minute to file all his appeals, so now he is time barred. We just submitted a Motion To Correct Ilegal sentence, denied 8 of 9 grounds (do not belong on this motion). We will resubmit. Unitl then we have 7 down 13 to go.. and nobody understands how or why I love this man or will wait for him.. We met while we were both in County. Here in good old Paso County Florida......Sorry just venting a bit
Old 12-28-2008, 12:03 PM

Default does anyone have information on lowell CI

does any one have any info on lowell CI. does it have air condtioning. how is it? is it easy to just do your time without getting in trouble or is there a lot of fighting. and how is the food. any info would be great. thank you

Old 12-28-2008, 06:00 PM

or info on any womens prison in general

Old 01-04-2009, 08:45 PM

I am writing to an inmate there and providing info for her, if there's any questions you'd liked answered, I'd be glad to ask her
Old 01-05-2009, 03:54 AM

My girlfriend is at Lowell right now. She said the only thing that makes it so tough there is that theres way too many women on that compound. She said the smaller compounds make your time more bareable. She said the food is not to bad. About a/c Im not sure but I havent heard her complain about it yet and im sure that would have been the first think I would have heard about. we talk everyday. So I dont think its too bad.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:25 AM

My daughter was sent to Lowell Annex for reception but has been doing her time at Hernando. I believe she said that Lowell does have a/c but it is also where they send women to if they "misbehave" (psych out, commit crimes etc) from Hernando.

Hernando does not have a/c but I've been told by several sources that it is one of the best women's facilities to do time at. Let me know if you have any specific questions I can answer for you.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Florida Visiting Day

Hey my daughter is at Hernando too. She does really good but it is good to know that it is one of the better facilities. Thanks
Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 AM

Default Question about Lowell Annex

Hi,my friend is a lifer in Lowell Annex and she writes that some inmates are
difficult and she feels a kind of stress. But the officers don't really care about. I don't know whether it's a good idea to contact her classification officer, and I don't know the name of this officer.
But it's not possible to do much from the distance.
I would like to know about experiences from others.
greentea