Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

South Carolina Parole, Probation & Release All information relating to parole, probation or release in South Carolina should be posted here.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:37 AM

Exclamation The Senate passed the Early Release Bill for non violent defenders!!

Yesterday the S.C. Senate passed the early release bill. The way I understand it, the are going to release drug offenders and non violent offenders early to make more room in the prison's for violent offenders. Has anyone else seen this? Please let me know if you have. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie2005 View Post
Yesterday the S.C. Senate passed the early release bill. The way I understand it, the are going to release drug offenders and non violent offenders early to make more room in the prison's for violent offenders. Has anyone else seen this? Please let me know if you have. Thanks!!

Yes..!!! I can't post links, but if someone can go to any of the news stations in sc....there are short summaries!!! Can anyone please tell me what this means...Thanks!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:55 AM

I'm not sure on the details but I believe now all that has to happen is that is has to be signed!!!!!!! This is great news. Let's just see how long the final process takes. I am surprised about how quickly they passed it. It just aired on the news back in Feb. Hopefully our loved ones will be coming home to us soon!!!!!! Yae!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2010, 11:09 AM

OMG. That's great news ! I hope it will be done in Florida as well.

Getting there...

The Following User Says Thank You to YulyDGonzalez For This Useful Post:
boston Love (03-29-2010)
Old 03-26-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inloveandlonley View Post
Yes..!!! I can't post links, but if someone can go to any of the news stations in sc....there are short summaries!!! Can anyone please tell me what this means...Thanks!!!
Sanford has to sign which he said he would do. They are not just going to have a mass release. You will still have to go before the parole board. The major difference will be parole standards for non violent offenders have been eased. Many more people will make parole.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:35 PM

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the change- probably not if Sanford has to sign but my man's parole date changed today. They took off 6 months of his time on the parole date. What are the chances of parole- does anyone know? I know it probably depends on the behavior of the inmate - right?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:47 PM

[quote=sgrinstead;5302516]I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the change- probably not if Sanford has to sign but my man's parole date changed today. They took off 6 months of his time on the parole date. What are the chances of parole- does anyone know? I know it probably depends on the behavior of the inmate - right?[/quote
It depends upon his behavior while inside and his crime. Violent vs Nonviolent. If you are nonviolent the parole standards have been eased. You still have to go before before the board but it's much easier now. I'm assuming all the other release conditions apply. Job and a place to stay.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:25 PM

Does anyone know when Sanford plans on signing the Bill??? I have tried to look on the internet, but haven't found anything on this.

Thanks!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:41 PM
My Lovely Son

Thanked 2,126 Times in 794 Posts

Wednesday March 24,2010

COLUMBIA -- A comprehensive plan to divert nonviolent criminals from prisons to the probation and parole system so South Carolina can avoid spending hundreds of millions of dollars to build new prisons was adopted Tuesday.
The bill, approved by the Senate Judiciary Committee in a 14-0 vote, calls for more drug users to serve supervised criminal sentences in the community as a way to free up beds in the overcrowded prisons. The measure, as written, deals with future offenders, although there are a few exceptions to parole some current prisoners.
Sen. Gerald Malloy, a Hartsville Democrat, said the legislation is not "soft on crime" but "smart." For instance, he said that it costs $14,500 for each inmate in prison compared with $2,000 for an individual in a community supervision program.
The bill reclassifies 22 crimes as violent, including drunken driving that results in death.
That change will trigger a rule that does not allow the violent offenders to qualify for parole until they serve 85 percent of their sentence. The bill also provides incentives such as "good time credits" for people on probation to stay crime- and drug-free, gives judges more discretion for sentencing drug users, lets more inmates qualify for work release and removes the disparity in sentencing between crack and cocaine possession.
Additionally, the bill would allow for the special parole of inmates who are terminally ill, geriatric or physically disabled and no longer pose a public risk. Some legislators raised the possibility of the early release of up to 3,000 nonviolent criminals as a way to save the cash-strapped state money.
Most of the provisions become effective in January, if the bill survives the legislative process
The Following User Says Thank You to Gavin123 For This Useful Post:
Missingmyman76 (04-01-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 12:45 PM
My Lovely Son

You can keep an eye on the bill at this site:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-1475
The Following User Says Thank You to Gavin123 For This Useful Post:
Missingmyman76 (04-01-2010)
Old 03-29-2010, 01:16 PM
My Lovely Son

I believe the above "NEW" bill is for ALL inmates for GOOD behavior, from what I've read... In S.C., according to the S.C.D.C. site, we already have a "good time bill" I'm still trying to find anything recent from the above bill H.R. 1475

7. Will inmates be rewarded for good behavior or work in prison?

Yes, South Carolina laws allow SCDC to award inmates with credits for good behavior and participation in work/educational programs. These credits can be applied towards an inmate's sentence(s) to establish an earlier release date, unless the inmate was sentenced under the Truth-in-Sentencing statute and must serve 85% of his/her sentence. Good time credits can be applied towards establishing sentence expiration date. Good time credits cannot be applied towards establishing parole (conditional release) eligibility. On the other hand, work/educational credits can be applied towards conditional or unconditional release criteria
Old 04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
LOST AND ALONE

Back in early February, my husband was called before the board. We thought it was an early parole hearing. But that was not the case. So he had me call classification and asked when he would be elgible for work release. She said he wasnt elgible because of his record. Then a couple of days later I received a letter from SCDC that said " The inmate was screened and approved for work release and would be transferred to a work release center." That was 2 months ago and he is still at Allendale. Then we heard about this early release and was thinking that since his parole date was in May that maybe.........? But we are not getting our hopes up. He did say that a fellow inmate went up before the board and made it and he had a violent charge. So, I don't know. I'm hoping, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacmac12 For This Useful Post:
C's_girl843 (04-05-2010), Missingmyman76 (04-05-2010)
Old 04-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,789 Posts

For anyone who hasn't logged onto the SCDC inmate search site in at least one week, it has been updated (format slightly different). It now states if a person is eligible for furlough/parole (rather than leaving the space blank) and updated parole and release (max out) dates.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:19 PM
inmate Mama

jacmac, Are you saying someone with a "Violent" charge, was given parole? I just want to be sure this is what you are saying, because my Husband has a violent charge, {no parole} and we are under the impression, this new ruling excludes them. I have also heard rumors, of giving the 85%'ers, good time, and credits earned... Has anyone seen this in a newspaper article? I'd just like some verification, before my bubble is burst, once again.... I sooo hope you are right!
Old 04-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by choclgs View Post
For anyone who hasn't logged onto the SCDC inmate search site in at least one week, it has been updated (format slightly different). It now states if a person is eligible for furlough/parole (rather than leaving the space blank) and updated parole and release (max out) dates.
Yes, I saw that maybe more than a week ago now, but I assumed it was bc my hubby has now gotten transferred from R & E to his prison. Could this be an indicaiton of something else you think?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
LOST AND ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmatemama View Post
jacmac, Are you saying someone with a "Violent" charge, was given parole? I just want to be sure this is what you are saying, because my Husband has a violent charge, {no parole} and we are under the impression, this new ruling excludes them. I have also heard rumors, of giving the 85%'ers, good time, and credits earned... Has anyone seen this in a newspaper article? I'd just like some verification, before my bubble is burst, once again.... I sooo hope you are right!
From what my husband was telling me, the other inmate was a violent offender. He said that he went before the board two weeks before he was released, but the guy didn't tell any one till he was about to be released. My husband said maybe he would have a chance since he has a non-violent charge. But this is South Carolina, no telling what might happen?????
Old 04-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Inmates Wife

i saw on the news (live 5 news at 6pm summerville, sc) they planned to release people with non violent crimes locked up before 1992. it was a few weeks back that i saw this because i remember joking with my husband saying if only he was locked up since 92 he could be getting ready to come home.

Missing My Husband

Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 PM
Inmates Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmatemama View Post

my husband was locked up last year for CDV ABHAN (violent crime) and he got good time and only had to do 1 year out of the 2 given to him.

Missing My Husband

Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 AM
inmate Mama

Thank you.. this gives me hope, but now, I've looked at the SCDC site, since it's been revised, and where it says parole, and furlough.. it now says.. "not eligible", where it used to be blank.. I'm assuming this is an indication of whether or not he'll be granted good time, or parole... Yet, maybe there's still a chance..
Old 04-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Default Not eligible

My bf went in on mar4th and it has said the whole time that he is not eligible for furlough, but they have all his crap messed up on the scdc website. So hopefully that doesn't have nothing with your man being relaesed early. Hope everything goes good for him and u. My boyfriend was only suppose to be sentenced to 1 yr 2 months that is what the judge said i was there. But on the website it says his parole date is may2011 and that is 1yr 2 months so just hoping he gets moved soon so they can fix that. Nikki
Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 PM
inmate Mama

Thanks for your best wishes... We need them! {need some prayers, too!} I also think the SCDC website is messed up. I remember when Ricky first went in, years ago, that the time they had printed for his release date was wrong... They did straighten it out after awhile though. I know, according to the law, that anyone with 85% time, and a violent charge, is NOT supposed to be eligible for parole, or good time. BUT.. with this "early release" thing going on, I see where some people claim their loved ones with the same type of charges, are getting an early release... I am not giving up hope... I continue to pray everyday, that God will work a miracle, and send my Husband home to me... Thanks, and best wishes to you and your BF.. My prayers are with you, too!
Missingmyman76 (04-10-2010)
Old 04-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,789 Posts

The recent bill is not the first time the state has made attempts to decrease or "manage" inmate population. When they do this, it usually will apply to those who were sentenced prior to any new law being put into place. Here's why.

To qualify for supervised furlough:

The Supervised Furlough II-A Program is an early release program which allows certain inmates to be released into the community to serve the last six months of their sentence. Most are required to be on Electronic Monitoring for the duration of their furlough. The SCDC screens and approved all inmates for this program. Only inmates who have an offense that was committed on or after June 13, 1983 and before July 1, 1993 are eligible. Other criteria must be met as well in order for the inmate to be released to the Supervised Furlough II-A Program.

This program ended in the late 90s and no one sentenced during or after would be eligible for it. With the 1995 crime bill passing, the same reason applies for those who do not have a parole date listed.

To qualify for parole:

Parole eligibility changed because of the 1995 bill.

1995 Crime Bill: Truth-in-Sentencing for Violent Offenders
Following a national trend to abolish parole and adopt truth-in-sentencing, in its 1995 Crime Bill, the South Carolina General Assembly designated felonies, punishable by 20 years or more sentences, to be “no parole offenses” - i.e., the offender cannot be released until credits equal 100% of sentence and at least 85% of sentence has been served. Upon release, the inmate must also satisfy up to (indeterminate) 2 years of community supervision. The law also stipulates that such sentencing applies only to crimes committed on or after January 1, 1996.

"Someone convicted of a violent crime, committed prior to January 1, 1996, is eligible for parole after serving one-third of their sentence. If committed after January 1, 1996 , they are not eligible for parole with some exceptions. Just because someone is eligible for parole doesn't mean they automatically are paroled. Last year, for example, only about one-fifth of those who had parole hearings were actually paroled. About 15 percent of violent offenders received parole." - SC Probation, Parole, and Pardon

Last edited by choclgs; 04-09-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Old 04-10-2010, 01:41 PM
inmate Mama

This states that "Someone convicted of a violent crime, AFTER january1,1996, is NOT eligible for parole, WITH SOME EXCEPTIONS"
Would you , or anyone here, know what some of these
"exceptions" might be?
I know I'm just grasping at straws, but I can never stop hoping... Thanks!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Michael's Fiancee

Default scdc website

Theres an ex inmate that has been talking to me on here and he told me once my bf gets to his yard where he will be for him to talk to his caseworker and they will get it fixed. thank god b/c i have already drove down to anderson to get his sentence sheet and it was screwed up too and it just pissed me off driving down there and nobody still knew what the heck i was talking about. i've already called the public defender to many times to count and the ex inmate told me that once they are done with the case u might as well forget them calling u back-- so i have and hoping and praying my bf get it straightened out when he gets moved from r/e. But my thoughts and prayers are with yall, and thank u for yours . right now i'm just praying for a phone call b/c have not got to talk to him since he went to kirkland on mar 4th. Nikki
Old 04-11-2010, 06:58 AM
inmate Mama

So sorry they've screwed up-once again-,,,,
I sure hope and pray this gets straightened out for you, and soon! The case worker should help. My Husband told me he doesn't even HAVE a caseworker right now! They moved the Walden CW to another inst. and they've gone w/o now, for Months! The system is sure screwed up! They should be moving your guy to his perm. place soon. It took my Husband about a month, but I hear they're sooo backed up right now, that it's taking longer... When they have to stay longer like that, I think they're allowed to make phone calls, after a certain amount of time has passed... Ask the ex inmate about it.. He may remember something ...
You're both in my prayers, and hope things will go smoothly, real soon!
Missingmyman76 (04-11-2010)