Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KANSAS > Kansas DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Kansas DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Kansas Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Craig ♡ Desiree

Default Question about El Dorado CF-RDU

First off, what does RDU even mean?

And secondly, his mom messaged me letting me know to write to him at that address for the next 2-6 weeks?
Does anyone know why it would be for that period of time?
I'm new to the Kansas prison system and everything.
He was at Sedgwick County for 3 months and he's finally been transferred.

"It gets hard but it won't take away my love..."

Craig and Desiree
Always All Ways <3

The Following User Says Thank You to ruinersbabydoll For This Useful Post:
LovingBK4eva (06-10-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2010, 07:47 PM

RDU = Reception and Diagnostic Unit.

At RDU, they'll check for physical or mental health issues, figure out any special program needs (does he need sex-offender treatment? drug/alcohol treatment? to finish his GED? etc.) or security problems (is he a gang member? are there other people in the system he needs to be kept away from? are any of his relatives employed by the department? ...) and determine custody level, projected release date, and so on. They tend to work slow, and of course they may well have to communicate back with the court to pin down details of sentence and so on. Once they figure out a custody level and program plan, then he has to wait for a bed to open up at one of the regular prisons that matches his custody level.

Average time at RDU is about a month, and it has been stretching a little longer because space is very tight right now (several prisons or cellhouses have been shut down), but some people do move through more quickly.

You can't visit while he's at RDU, but once he gets moved to his "permanent" assignment, he'll get to set up a visiting list.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chronistra For This Useful Post:
Ginalpnwcc (01-07-2011), LovingBK4eva (04-23-2010), lsegovia (09-29-2012), natemylove (01-27-2012)
Old 03-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Craig ♡ Desiree

So if he's at El Dorado RDU, does that mean he MAY or MAY NOT stay at El Dorado Correctional Facility?

Craig and Desiree
Always All Ways <3

LovingBK4eva (04-23-2010)
Old 03-26-2010, 07:05 PM

That's right. El Dorado is the only RDU for male inmates, so everybody goes there first, then they get parceled out to the other facilities.

For example, if he ends up assigned to minimum custody, Lansing and Winfield have the largest minimum facilities. If he needs mental health supervision, that means either Larned or Lansing. Death Row is at El Dorado; so's the dentist. Work Release is at either Wichita or Hutch. etc., etc., etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to chronistra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2010, 05:50 PM

Thanked 1,051 Times in 387 Posts

Mine went from RDU to Hutchinson Correctional Facility.

FYI: RDU was extremely taxing and depressing on the man I love. Whether or not it was because he was realizing the full extent of the mess he'd created for himself or if it was because of the isolation of RDU itself. Whatever the reason it was during this time that I was most concerned about him. He was extremely depressed and at times hardly sounded like the man I've known for over 20 years. He's been in the system now for over 2 years and he still looks over that time as the hardest.

The mail may get jumbled and take longer to get to him but I'm sure he'd love to get it even it if it's a bit slow. I'd suggest writing often.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hugaboom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2010, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugaboom View Post
FYI: RDU was extremely taxing and depressing on the man I love. Whether or not it was because he was realizing the full extent of the mess he'd created for himself or if it was because of the isolation of RDU itself. Whatever the reason it was during this time that I was most concerned about him. He was extremely depressed and at times hardly sounded like the man I've known for over 20 years. He's been in the system now for over 2 years and he still looks over that time as the hardest.

The mail may get jumbled and take longer to get to him but I'm sure he'd love to get it even it if it's a bit slow. I'd suggest writing often.
I agree 150% with this assessment of RDU. It is also very important not to get into trouble during RDU, the caseworkers will "look down" upon an inmate getting a major write up during the first few weeks. I would send as many letters as humanly possible because phone calls are very few and far between.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:08 AM
Craig ♡ Desiree

:| this doesn't make me happy

Craig and Desiree
Always All Ways <3

Old 04-21-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruinersbabydoll View Post
First off, what does RDU even mean?

And secondly, his mom messaged me letting me know to write to him at that address for the next 2-6 weeks?
Does anyone know why it would be for that period of time?
I'm new to the Kansas prison system and everything.
He was at Sedgwick County for 3 months and he's finally been transferred.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:21 AM

Since ur b-friend has been transfered I hope it is near you but kind of doubt it....Anyone in the state of Kansas in sent to El Dorado for a certain amount of time for elevuation and then they ship you out to another prison....and then once you are sent somewhere and you mess up there is always that chance that they (Doc) can send you back to there according to any trouble you get into in other places.... ed IS SUPER MAX they don't play there I have know ppl who are in there and probably well at lest one that will never get out he is from our home town but he needs to be there he murdered 2 ppl.... oh and by the way the BTK KILLER is there but he is never around anyhone at all....Locked down 24/7 where he should be.... My older son was in ED and then he was moved to other places in Kansas....GOOD LUCK HANG IN THERE AND HOLD YOUR HEAD UP GIRL.....PATTY FROM TOPEKA
The Following User Says Thank You to phause1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2010, 06:06 AM

My son is also in rdu,he was moved to the infirmery for awhile.i dont know why.he is mildly retarded,personality dissorder and bi-polar.i called but they wont tell me anything.life is so unfair!
Old 05-08-2010, 05:48 AM

How are the inmates housed at RDU (dorm / cell style)? If there are cells, are it single cells?

How is the cell like? Is there a separate restroom? Where will the food be served? Any information re the dress code and the daily routine?

Thanks in Advance...
The Following User Says Thank You to rekrut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrut View Post
How are the inmates housed at RDU (dorm / cell style)? If there are cells, are it single cells?

How is the cell like? Is there a separate restroom? Where will the food be served? Any information re the dress code and the daily routine?

Thanks in Advance...
When my hubby was there he shared a cell with another inmate. From what he said there isn't much room or privacy--toilets in the cells (welcome to prison). I think he just wore his jumpsuit while he was there, he didn't get his "blues" until he was transferred to Lansing East. RDU was rough, they spend most of their time locked down, out for only a couple hours maybe. There were several days too that an inmate would act up and the CO's wouldn't let anyone out, or would only let them out for like 45 minutes for the whole day. It can be a tough time for the guys, but thankfully it doesn't last very long before they generally move on. Hubby said that from where he was they had to walk outside to get to the chow hall, so he did get a little fresh air. Letter writing was one of the only things that helped us survive RDU. Phone calls are hard to manage while he is there, but the letters helped immensely! It sounds scary, but its just the firsting stopping point and everything is new. It passes so quickly so don't worry!
The Following User Says Thank You to erankin44 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Thx. So the inmate has to relief himself in front of his cellmate? Isn't this very humiliating?

Besides, is the inmate's head shaved at arrival and is there a mandatory shower administered?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:28 PM
&lt;3 my HTB

is there anything else important we need to know about RDU? fiance just went there today

until eternity.I love you always baby.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:57 PM

My fiance just got out of RDU...its along 6-8 weeks. You won't get a phone call for about 10-14 daysyou can go ahead and put money on his books but he is only allowed to spend 10 dollars every 28 days. Hygiene items only...they will give him a few stamps and envelopes to write on his first day. And yes...he will be locked down for 23 hrs. To be honest...looking back it went by fast but the days were hard waiting for a call. He said even though it sucked it was far better then county. Hang in there...he will be ok.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,354 Posts

hi long and welcome my man is in el dorado... did yours leave there or is he still there?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Account Closed

Could someone tell me how the phone calls work at RDU? My boyfriend was just transferred there 3 days ago and I haven't heard from him, but from what I understand he can't have any phone calls for 6 weeks? Is this right? I just put money on the phone company they use through there, so I hope I didn't just waste it.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 AM

My husband was just transferred today. It will be at least 2 wks before calls can be made. Only get envelopes to send out twice a week. This is so hard.......
Old 03-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemylove
My husband was just transferred today. It will be at least 2 wks before calls can be made. Only get envelopes to send out twice a week. This is so hard.......
My boyfriend got to call me 6 days after he was transferred So it won't take the full 2 weeks like they say I am right there with ya though...this is VERY hard! He has been there for almost 2 weeks and he is the only one out of the whole group that transferred that hasn't gotten his face sheet. So we still don't have a release date or where he's getting transferred to Feel free to message me anytime you'd like to talk!!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:12 PM

Yes I wud love to talk to sumone yhat is goin.thru the same. Im goin crazy.......
Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 AM

My man is in RDU. Been there since March 21st so thankfully it's almost over for us!!! I know it's the worst part of the whole trip. He said they are allowed out for a total of an hour over the course of all three shifts (so they are locked down allllll day long pretty much). on the weekends they are let out for two hours. The mod he's in there only has one working phone so it's a fight for the phone and he usually only gets a chance to call about once a week. It's horrible. It sucks. but Trust me, if you can make it thru RDU, you can make it thru anything!!!
Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 PM

Default question

I am wondering does anyone no if there are certain days in RDU in kansas that they are not allowed to use the phone ????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by erankin44 View Post
When my hubby was there he shared a cell with another inmate. From what he said there isn't much room or privacy--toilets in the cells (welcome to prison). I think he just wore his jumpsuit while he was there, he didn't get his "blues" until he was transferred to Lansing East. RDU was rough, they spend most of their time locked down, out for only a couple hours maybe. There were several days too that an inmate would act up and the CO's wouldn't let anyone out, or would only let them out for like 45 minutes for the whole day. It can be a tough time for the guys, but thankfully it doesn't last very long before they generally move on. Hubby said that from where he was they had to walk outside to get to the chow hall, so he did get a little fresh air. Letter writing was one of the only things that helped us survive RDU. Phone calls are hard to manage while he is there, but the letters helped immensely! It sounds scary, but its just the firsting stopping point and everything is new. It passes so quickly so don't worry!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:07 PM

I no there is limited phones in rdu but can someone tell me can they not call on Thursdays that is the only day he doesn't call
Old 06-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Account Closed

Yes you're correct, they can't call on Thursdays.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 PM

My son has recently been transferred to RDU from county jail. I have received one letter from him. He thought I would be able to visit but when I got there, that was not the case. Are there ever visits while they are in RDU or do they have to completely be evaluated before anyone can visit? Will they get the letters sent in while they are in RDU? I know he is limited as to how many he can send out but I just wanted to make sure he will likely receive any that I send in while this process is going on.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.