Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Florida News & Events News, Events & Information relating to the Florida DOC, Criminal Justice, Prison Reform, Activism & Support, etc..

Old 03-16-2010, 03:29 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms. pulga View Post
SOOO SOOO SAD my prayers to your Family.. i am truley sorry... WOW ... Sad thing is that allot of times these CO pay or Compensate other inmates to commit these crimes for them.. i have see it all the time... and of course THE FLDOC dont have anything to say... I am here to help in anyway... we cant let these things keep happening... my hubby tells me how they put allot of juvenilles with the older violet inmates and they take advatage of them sexually and all types of thing.... we could only imagine what else we dont know!!!! I will take a stand with you...

My hubby is in Jackson County too and he tells me there are stabbing everyday there.. allot of time inmates ask to be put in protective custody and are put there for 10 days and released back into population at the same facility and the other inmates think they are snitching on them and take matters into there own hands....
My husband said, at ACI, he witnessed inmates getting released from PC and then turning around and checking right back in. That place is nuts!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 PM

Thanked 1,897 Times in 891 Posts

Im SO SORRY. There are no words to describe. Something has to be done regarding the lack of safety of the inmates.

[quote=ballard;5278725]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycasey183 View Post
Just read this on the news hearld and thought I would share it with everyone. Here's the article.

Jackson County, Fla:
Officials with the Florida Department of Corrections have confirmed that an inmate was beaten at the Graceville Correctional Facility yesterday.
The battery occurred at approximately 1:45 pm, and the victim is reportedly in critical condition.
No suspect has yet been named, but a person of interest is being investigated.
Officials are waiting to identify the victim until next of kin can be notified.

[ballard=galeballard@hotmail.com;18649465]
I am Jason Owens' Mother and I want everyone to know that my son was murdered. Jason was hit in the head and never had a chance to defend himself.There were no profound marks of self defense.Upon my arrival at the hospital, my son was already pronounced brain dead.Jason was 18 years old when he commmitted his crimes, he received a 15 year sentence and had built 6 years. He was not a violent criminal,stayed to himself, only wanted to build his time, and come home.I keep asking-"Why my son?" "Why was he not protected?" "What gave this inmate the right to take my son's life?" I am receiving no answers from the Graceville Correctional
Facility. My son died in my arms and I pray that he knew Mama was there.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:53 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlovenbama View Post
My husband is at Graceville and there was a guy beaten the day before that too by the same guy. They were not sure who did it until this happened yesterday. I called the facility today because I had not heard from my husband and was worried. They told me that noone was on lockdown and they didnt know why i had not heard from him. I was worried all day and when i finally heard from him at around 5 pm I found out they were in fact on lock down and the officer had lied to me about it. This is getting rediculous . My husband comes home in December and now I am terrified for his saftey. The inmate that commited the crime was in the same dorm as my husband. I just want him home safe and sound. Dont do anything wrong in the sate of Florida if you dont want a hefty sentence. My husband should have been home a long time ago!
It sounds just like Texas. They gave my son a hefty sentence here. I think he was railroaded and his court appointed lawyer was a joke!!!
I'm hoping he makes parole for his 4th time of a 5 year sentence.
God bless you!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 PM

I wish I could yell and scream that what you all are saying is not true. Not in this country!!! I met a lady today, whos husband is a guard and her daughter in prison, what mixed emotions she must have. I felt so sorry for her, she looked heart broken.

Where do we start? We know and understand our inmates commited a crime, and are doing the time. We are not asking for hotel rooms. We are asking for basic human treatment. How can the man that left the class room unattended still have his job or ever be able to get a job like this one? Of coarse we cant even keep drunk bus drivers out of our childrens school buses..
The Following User Says Thank You to lin787 For This Useful Post:
crazycasey183 (03-17-2010)
Old 03-17-2010, 04:00 PM

Our local Chief of Police's grown son (and former Officer himself) has just been found guilty of mtg scamming and fraud with the IRS.. imagine how the Chief of Police must feel Many in our town are also putting down the Chief since they feel his son, an Officer of the Law should be held to a higher standard. I personally don't feel that way. Bad things happen to good families sometimes, and this is an example (as we are too). I don't judge the family for the child's (adult or juvie) crime. It isn't fair. It is a choice that person (minor or not) has made.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:07 PM

found this from the Hearld on March 12.

GRACEVILLE — A 31-year-old Department of Corrections inmate died Friday morning from injuries sustained two days earlier in a fight with another prisoner.
Jason J. Owens, who was serving time at the Graceville Correctional Facility on multiple burglary charges, was beaten by another inmate Wednesday afternoon, DOC spokeswoman Gretl Plessinger said.
No arrests have been made, and DOC has not named a suspect, but officials are investigating a “person of interest,” Plessinger said.
She didn’t know if any weapons were used in the beating, or what type of injuries Owens suffered, but said it appeared just one prisoner attacked Owens.
Owens, who was transferred to Graceville from Bay Correctional Facility in 2003, was scheduled for release in 2017.
He committed seven “minor violations” in his time at Graceville, including disrespect to officials and disobeying regulations, Plessinger said. His most recent disciplinary report was in 2008, and none of the reports involved fighting.
The man’s first run-in with police was in 1997, when the then-18-year-old was found guilty of “lewd and lascivious sexual assault on a victim under the age of 16,” according to the DOC’s Web site.
Owens had nine burglary charges in Pasco County, and once was picked up for possession of a controlled substance.
The St. Petersburg Times reported April 6, 2002, that Owens was arrested after a burglary spree through New Port Richey. In six hours, Owens broke into three houses and as many cars, according to the news story.
He stole jewelry, tools, cash and cigarettes. Upon awakening one home’s resident, Owens reportedly told the woman “I’m a burglar, ma’am,” according to the Times report

One minute Im mad as h... and the next minute I want to find the family and hug them real tight. No hard core criminal would have ever said 'Im a burglar, ma'am' inside he was a gentle soul.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:05 PM
waitingformydaughter

Thanked 3,833 Times in 1,389 Posts

I am so sorry.I pray you can find out how this was allowed to happen and everyone that was responsible is held accountable.I am so sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepless in Tu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2010, 09:55 PM

Default The Rest of the Story

First, I am very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain you must feel in losing a loved one. But, respectfully, your anger, though understandable, is misplaced and out of line. What business is it of mine, you might ask? The "less of man" you so vehemently condemn, Warden Mark Henry, is my father. And he's a damned good Warden. If you took a look into his career you would know that. But let me tell you a little about the man beyond the "less the flattering light" you seem eager cast on him. You may not believe it, coming from his daughter, but he is the most honorable man I know. I've never seen someone who puts as much dedication and ethic into his work. I cannot answer your question as to why details are spotty at this point. But, then, I'm not an employee of a correctional facility. What I know is this: I spoke with my father the night that Jason was attacked and again after he had passed. Like always, my father was up to date on what was going on in his institution. He stayed at work that night late into the night taking care of all the details to make sure that the full truth of what happened could be known and upheld when it came time to prove it. My father doesn't make statements, he doesn't play politics, and he hates the Good Ol' Boy network. He refuses to take part in it, and it has cost him dearly at times. My father is a simple man. He does his job and he expects other people to do theres. Warden Henry inherited problems when he took over Graceville Correctional Facility, but every day he fixes more of them. Questioning his competence will not help you to make peace with Jason's death, nor is warranted. You are angry that someone killed your friend, just like I am angry that strangers are condemning my father, who has never done less than an honest day's work in his entire life. But, anger will help neither of us. The naked is truth: My father works for a corporation and he doesn't tout it's position on any issue in the media. But, please don't think he doesn't care. I heard his voice that night, I heard the exhaustion. Warden Henry is a man who knows love, especially the love you feel for a child, and I know he does respect your loss. He hasn't talked to the media because it's none of their business and he is confident in his competence as a Warden and the competence of his employees. I don't know for sure, but I imagine he hasn't contacted you or Jason's family because he is respecting your time to grieve a son lost, while he better applies his time investigating an altercation between 2 of his inmates so that the truth can not only be flung about in the news and on message boards, but so that it can be proven. If you want justice done for Jason and the full truth to be revealed, the complete truth without any respect for what is most politically expedient, then you want Warden Henry to be the man in charge. I hope you can find some peace, but this sort of anger isn't the way to do it. Mark Henry is a good Warden. You say you want the truth, be prepared for the world to tell you that. This isn't Hollywood; the Warden isn't always the villain.

Last edited by ben's girl; 03-21-2010 at 11:16 AM..
Old 03-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

I think the problem stems from not even a word of condolence or reassurance that the matter is being seriously looked into. Perhaps what you don't understand is the anguish felt by family members who have someone inside. Things are so out of our control. We witness abuses within the system all the time. We witness retaliation. We worry each day we might get a call that someone has killed our loved one while inside. The fear when your loved one tells you they are being threatened by another inmate (or an officer) is unbelievable. It happened to us. It was the only time in my life I had a full fledged panic attack. I was on the verge of shock. Thank goodness I had close friends who were able to console me and help me calm down. With that episode I can only imagine an insignificant portion of what I am sure loved ones of those killed on the inside suffer.

It is good of you to come in here and speak for your father. Obviously he must be a wonderful dad for you to feel the need to defend him. But don't condemn the family for their pain. One of the steps of grief is anger. And like it or not your father will be a focus of that anger for a time.

I hope this family will soon have a meeting with Warden Henry and he will help them work through this grief by telling them exactly what is going on. Helplessness is a horrible feeling. Don't be angry with the family for their response in grief.

Peace.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
BenisMom (08-24-2010)
Old 03-20-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeofMichael View Post
I think the problem stems from not even a word of condolence or reassurance that the matter is being seriously looked into. Perhaps what you don't understand is the anguish felt by family members who have someone inside. Things are so out of our control. We witness abuses within the system all the time. We witness retaliation. We worry each day we might get a call that someone has killed our loved one while inside. The fear when your loved one tells you they are being threatened by another inmate (or an officer) is unbelievable. It happened to us. It was the only time in my life I had a full fledged panic attack. I was on the verge of shock. Thank goodness I had close friends who were able to console me and help me calm down. With that episode I can only imagine an insignificant portion of what I am sure loved ones of those killed on the inside suffer.

It is good of you to come in here and speak for your father. Obviously he must be a wonderful dad for you to feel the need to defend him. But don't condemn the family for their pain. One of the steps of grief is anger. And like it or not your father will be a focus of that anger for a time.

I hope this family will soon have a meeting with Warden Henry and he will help them work through this grief by telling them exactly what is going on. Helplessness is a horrible feeling. Don't be angry with the family for their response in grief.

Peace.
very well stated and hope the message gets to where it needs to so the Owens family can finally grieve without unanswered questions rambling in their heads. They need peace and justice for what has happened to their loved one. A human life was taken & the situation isn't being handled correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to amickeyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Mrs.Belton (2-Be)

Hi my boyfriends at graceville n I'm not sure if this is hear say or what but he told me the murderer was re arrested n removed from the facility from what he tells me this was a senseless crime.. Supposedily the man who attacked Jason owed other inmates money n instead of paying his debts he gets in trouble to be removed from the facility.... So him n Jason had no beef with each other n I'm told the weapon was a rock.. My heart n prayers go out to the family... May god bless n guide u through your time of great loss...
The Following User Says Thank You to Lphuff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 02:50 PM

What is re-arrested? for killing Jason??

I believe your boyfriend. Sounds right. The guy had a rock, poor Jason didnt know it was coming, he never stood a chance. Standing up for each other is one of the big no no's in prison.

I know I could not stand by and watch someone beat some one period., let alone beat someone to death.! How hard it must have been for the inmates to see it happening and do nothing, because if they did try to interfer, they would be dead before nightfall. Lord, help us all.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Mrs.Belton (2-Be)

That's true... Prison is a messed up place.. It's dog eat dog.. Everyman for themselves.. It's quite sad that this happened to Jason an innocent in all of this... As for being re/arrested when an inmate commits a serious crime such as murder (n are caught) they are charged accordingly..so my b/f says the killers either in confinement or at Jackson county jail being charged with murder... It's sad that u can't even go to class and learn something or stay away from the bad seeds.. It's a tossup with prison n that's why is so scary for our loved ones they could be targeted at anytime for anything as for the teacher( mr.Davis) he's back n teaching class( my boo's in the am class)but he'll never forget the day he walked out of that pm class n didn't call a co to stand guard I'm sure it's something that's gonna haunt him for the rest of his life....as for the killer... What a maniac? Killing someone whom had nothing to do with the fact that he owed people money n never intended on paying it back ....... From what I've been told a lot of the inmates are on some type of meds for being mentally unstable.. Like I said before it's a scary place.. One I never want to go to... Although I'm goin to my first visit this coming weekend what a great bday gift for myself but what the heck.. It's the best gift I could ask for face to face time with my love...may God bless u all....
Old 03-27-2010, 12:18 PM

Default Concerning your brother's death

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your brother; my father is in the same prison as your brother was. My mother spoke with my father this morning,and they want you to know that the inmate that tried to help your brother has filed grievances against every inmate that was in the room for failure to help stop the fight. He feels that they should of intervened to have saved him because he was a good person. I don't know if the man filing
the grievances wants his name reveled or not. You are able to go online and look up Warden Henry and see all the different things at different facilities that have happened under his watch. It has been said that the man that beat your brother to death owed almost everyone on the compound money and that all of them were thinking about beating him for the money that was owed and that the previous day he hit another man (with some kind of fork in the back of the neck, and classes should of been canceled then) trying to get transfered. The following day the incident with your brother took place. The teacher of the class your brother was in when this happened resigned but the guard has not.
Sincerely,
Misty Odum
The Following User Says Thank You to misty_odum_ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2010, 03:16 PM

Do we know if the Owens family is getting any of this information?

I spoke briefly with a co today that said he didnt even know about until a couple of days ago. I think DOC is already trying to shove this under the rug.

An inmate did try to help? awww God bless that man and protect him.

Does anyone know if the teacher was a guard or a regular teacher hired in to teach whatever he was teaching? Do we have any info on why he left that class unattented? How long is was gone? Was he the one to find the situation? Then who was called?

Can we find families of Graceville inmates? Do the families even know about this? Every family needs to know and become involved in this. Their inmate is not very safe right now. JMO...Families that are involved are known by the prison and the prison is going to be dam...d careful.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Mrs.Belton (2-Be)

Mr.Davis (the teacher)Has NOT resigned.. He teaches a plant class...n my mans in the am class so he wouldve told me if he had a new teacher... N he doesn't .... Mr Davis left the class after being called down to the asst.wardens office to file a report about the previous days events.. N didn't leave anyone to watch the class..it's a sad situation...nice to kno someone tried to help ........
Old 03-30-2010, 05:43 PM

Default Owens/Graceville info !!!!!

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/88...ySection=story

there is so much here and so many comments, I just posted the url.

I hope this article is allowed to stay here, we all need to pay attention to things like this as Florida is thinking about making all prisons private run.
JMO it is bad new for our inmates. It is fact that lots of jobs will be lost.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:54 PM

I am Jason Owens' Mother and I want everyone to understand that my son's death/murder was because Jason R. Ridge wanted to be moved from Graceville Prison. Today would have been my son's first visitation day since transferring to Graceville. The following was on a news web site:
Jason R. Ridge, 39, is accused of killing a fellow inmate at Graceville Correctional Institution in March.
Hess said a charging decision has not yet been made in the case against Ridge, but added it will likely be second-degree murder, and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon upon a detainee.
According to Hess, Ridge allegedly hit victim Jason J. Owens in the head repeatedly with a brick. The two were in a horticulture class together, and when an instructor left the room briefly, Ridge allegedly began striking Owens on the right side of his head with a broken piece of concrete. Owens died two days after the March 10 attack. Ridge has since been moved to Florida State Prison.
I am very angry about the way my son’s murder is being “justified”. What does Mr. Hess hope to gain by charging Jason Ridge with another second degree murder charge? Jason Ridge murdered my son because he wanted to be moved from Graceville Prison. So, Mr. Hess if Jason Ridge is convicted and gets another life sentence, what happens when Ridge wants out of that prison? He chooses another victim, and another Mother has to go through the hell, that I am going through!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Hess said (wctv) Monday's press conference also revealed new details about the Graceville prison murder. Owens was involved in a fight during a horticulture class. Hess say Owens was hit in the head several times with a large piece of broken concrete by fellow inmate Jason Ridge. Ridge has not yet been charged. Hess says he also plans to charge Ridge with second degree murder and seek a life sentence

Last edited by lin787; 04-03-2010 at 02:50 PM..
Old 04-03-2010, 05:44 PM

As for a motive in the Ridge case, Hess hinted that authorities believe the defendant Ridge attacked Owens “for his own purposes” which had nothing to do with any “bad blood’ between the inmates.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:53 PM

[quote=ballard;5278725]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycasey183 View Post
Just read this on the news hearld and thought I would share it with everyone. Here's the article.

Jackson County, Fla:
Officials with the Florida Department of Corrections have confirmed that an inmate was beaten at the Graceville Correctional Facility yesterday.
The battery occurred at approximately 1:45 pm, and the victim is reportedly in critical condition.
No suspect has yet been named, but a person of interest is being investigated.
Officials are waiting to identify the victim until next of kin can be notified.

[ballard=galeballard@hotmail.com;18649465]
I am Jason Owens' Mother and I want everyone to know that my son was murdered. Jason was hit in the head and never had a chance to defend himself.There were no profound marks of self defense.Upon my arrival at the hospital, my son was already pronounced brain dead.Jason was 18 years old when he commmitted his crimes, he received a 15 year sentence and had built 6 years. He was not a violent criminal,stayed to himself, only wanted to build his time, and come home.I keep asking-"Why my son?" "Why was he not protected?" "What gave this inmate the right to take my son's life?" I am receiving no answers from the Graceville Correctional
Facility. My son died in my arms and I pray that he knew Mama was there.
i will pray for you and your family. and another prayer that the truth will be told and justice served.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin263 View Post
Are you saying a class like a school class? How many inmates do you think would have been in this class? JMO, but the prison knows who did this terrible thing to another human being. It took more than a minute to do it. There had to have been evidence on the perp. Some one had to have looked more sweaty and/or breathing hard. Other inmates were prob looking away from the inmate that did this. The teacher would have known as soon as he stepped back in the door who the perp was.

We can not allow this to be hidden under their carpet of shame.
make you wonder was he beat by officers in private and blamed on a prisoner. someone beat the day before and know one new who did it. seem like a lie. he could have seen something he wasnt suppose to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luvmyjuan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensFamily View Post
Hi, I am the sister of jason owens, who was beat to death in Graceville correctional institution. I am Begging anyone who has any information to please, please come forward. Jason was a good guy, and all he wanted was to get out and to start a new life. His chance was taking away from him, and I am not going away...Any and everyone who is responsible for the brutul, and sinceless, murder of my baby brother will be held responsible. Isn't it strange that warden Mark Henley gave me no information or any condolences, that my brother was murdered under his watch. How many others have suffered, or have died under this man's watch. What does Mark Henry and the guards have to hide. My brother died in my arms on friday morning, I dont want anyone to have to experience the pain that i felt. We have to stop this inhumane treatment. 3 deaths in 3 weeks in 3 different prisons. What is going on in the fla. prisons.I promised my brother, as he died in my arms, that his death would not be in vain.And I am not going away..
one girl said the gaurd lied about them being on lock down. why lie. we are going to have to call around and see if we can get someone outside the prison to investigate. we might need to right the president exspecially those who have family in the prison and let him know the simple and big lies the officers are giving you. and the run arounds. if possible lets see if we can mail the letters by monday morning. seriously. we need to do something and we need to do it now.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Peace.
i understand you love your dad as alot of us here do. me myself is a daddy girl and my dad isalso loving. but there are thongs that a grown man will not tell his daughter or let hos daughter see. he is a prison guard. and that place is known for illegal activity. has your father seeped up and is fighting for this illegal use to stop among other guards. don't think your dad dont keep secrets. your dad is a great man you say yet the family has talk to him and he act like he don't care. he is nice with his daughter doesn't mean he is nice with everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luvmyjuan For This Useful Post:
BenisMom (08-25-2010)
Old 04-03-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Peace.
why would you say this isnt hollywood. did someone get you to come on here and speak for your dad. we here are family members and friends of prisoners that we love. prisoners are somebody and they deserve respect if you dont feel so please dont conversate with us we dont need to herw you. how dare you say this isnt hollywood.