Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > Other New York Prisons & Jails
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Other New York Prisons & Jails This forums is for conversations, discussions and information for all New York Prisons and Jails that do not have a dedicated forum.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Account Closed

Default Suffolk County Correctional Facility Calls

My husband, who is at Suffolk County Correctional Facility, called me today because he said a C.O. told him they are installing a new phone company there in the next 2 - 3 weeks because Global Tel's going up 20% and that's too muchy for us to pay. Supposedly they made a new contract with a new company. But that's ALL the information he had. I TRIED to call the jail but Nobody EVER knows anything there - They connected me to security who said they don't know and then asked their sargeant who said it's just a rumor, but WHY would security know ANYTHING about the collect calls? I was told to call Global Tel - They wouldn't know what new company would be taking over and how much and how long the calls would be IF there's a new collect call company. I DID call them and they're supposed to call me back in 2 hours, so I can ask them if their rates are going up in Suffolk county correctional.

If ANYONE has ANY information about this I and others would be interested in knowing. I am going to visit my husband in 2 days on Saturday and if I can find out by then I can tell other visitors the information (IF it's positive, that is!)

Thank you!

Take Care,

Sindarla
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Account Closed

I spoke to Global Tel when they called me back, they switched me to the Escalations Department who said that they lost their contract with the New York STATE Prisons but are getting more contracts with New York state COUNTY JAILS. She said that they DIDN'T lose their contract with Suffolk county jail and that they haven't heard that they're raising their raising their rates for Suffolk county. Maybe it is just a rumor then? I will talk to my husband about it when I see him Saturday. I guess time will tell the truth in this matter.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Account Closed

Interesting Update: I received an automated call today from Correctional Billing Services (1-800-844-6591). They stated they are handling calls from Suffolk county's jails in Riverhead and Yaphank. However, I was Not able to find out after 1 1/2 hours on the phone with a customer service representative, and then a supervisor in the Collrctions Department whether their contract is Exclusive or whether I can still use Global Tel (I have $17 with Global Tel). The message has Not changed when my husband does call me, it's Still the same message I hear with Global Tel. I called Riverhead and spoke with someone in the Record Room who didn't know anything about it. I was told that Security Would know because they're the ones that deal with the calls. I Hate dealing with Global Tel's customer service, but it seems like this will cost More money as Correctional Billing Services said they charge a $6.95 fee on top of what you want to add for phone calls, so the minimum is $25, if you want to add $25 then you will be charged $31.95 by credit card for advanced pay. You Can pay by Western Union (takes about 8 hours for them to receive) or check (or money order) which takes 7 - 10 days to process once they receive it. The automated system says that once you add money (like by credit card) it will take up to 24 hours to be activated in your account. They said you can set up an account for free and you can monitor your account at their website (www.correctionalbillingservices.com) if you provide them with your e-mail address. Correctional Billing Services Also said they will refund dropped calls if you give them the date and time. Global tel gived me problems with that and says they are Not responsible for dropped calls from a cell phone, however Correctional Billing Services said they Will refund dropped calls from a cell phone also. I was told there's $1.75 charge to accept the call with Correctional Billing Services and that a 15 minute call. Including that fee will be $4.75, about $5 including taxes. So it's the same price per call. I guess if you add $25 the price including the fee is $31.95 (if you pay by credit card), so there will Still be $25 left, which should give you 5 calls (versus paying $25 with Global Tel, which leaves you with $20 which gives you 4 calls). Also, they have an account where they can bill you, they do a credit background check first. And I was told you can add as many phone numbers as you want to your account. I don't know if they have started using Correctional Billing Services yet, or they're using Global Tel still or if they're using both. The Only way that Correctional Billing Services will be cheaper is if it's true that Global Tel's going up 20%. I just Hope I won't miss my call from my husband tonight because he wrote me and said he would call me today. I am going to see him tomorrow and I'll tell him what happened. Riverhead said call tomorrow and maybe they'll have an answer for me because someone else called about this too. I asked if I can speak to someone about it in person as I will be there to visit my husband but they said that they don't know. I will provide an update if I find out any more information.

Sindarla
Old 03-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Account Closed

I'm just frustrated because Nobody seems to know When they're switching to Correctional Billing Services, Global Tel Doesn't Even Know they lost the contract and they have to take out their phones and equipment before Correctional Billing Services can put theirs in. In between, I'm worried that they won't be able to make calls! Even thpugh Suffolk county gets a $1.75 kickback per call, they don't care. Today Suffolk county jail confirmed that they Are switching to a new phone company and it's not a scam but they said I'd need to call the phone company to find out When they're switching. My husband gave me a booklet from the new phone company today when I visited him and someone else's husband told her the switchover would take place in about a week, but that's Not official and Nobody knows When the switchover will take place! If I find out more information I will leave another post.

Sindarla
Old 03-16-2010, 07:40 AM

My husband is also in Riverhead Correctional Facility. I have not spoken to him since Sunday night 3/14/10. He has not called me yet and I'm also concerned. I have $35.00 left on Global Tel Link. I set up a new account with Correctional Billing Services online but have not put any money on the account. I wanted to wait to see what happens with the phone system. Did anyone receive an inmate call with the new phone company CBS? I've called the jail but the phone just keeps ringing. I called CBS this morning and the rep told me they do have the phone system with Riverhead but she does not know when it started. This is very stressful because I talk to my husband every single day.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booroh101 View Post
My husband is also in Riverhead Correctional Facility. I have not spoken to him since Sunday night 3/14/10. He has not called me yet and I'm also concerned. I have $35.00 left on Global Tel Link. I set up a new account with Correctional Billing Services online but have not put any money on the account. I wanted to wait to see what happens with the phone system. Did anyone receive an inmate call with the new phone company CBS? I've called the jail but the phone just keeps ringing. I called CBS this morning and the rep told me they do have the phone system with Riverhead but she does not know when it started. This is very stressful because I talk to my husband every single day.
--hi!! finally someone is going through this with me, i havent spoke to my husband since sunday too he is also at riverhead and the people there are pretty rude, i have called to inquire about if the phones are working and whats going on but noone knows anything, noone is being helpful! i also recieved the same automated call but that company isnt supposed to start till thursday! i think there could be a power outage from the storm, if you hear anything let us know isnt it awful waiting by the phone?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLiELENANGEL View Post
--hi!! finally someone is going through this with me, i havent spoke to my husband since sunday too he is also at riverhead and the people there are pretty rude, i have called to inquire about if the phones are working and whats going on but noone knows anything, noone is being helpful! i also recieved the same automated call but that company isnt supposed to start till thursday! i think there could be a power outage from the storm, if you hear anything let us know isnt it awful waiting by the phone?
My husband was taken temporarily to Rikers for another case but since he has a court date in Riverhead on Monday he should be taken back there Friday or Monday. I made another $25 payment before he left for my home phone to transfer the calls to his cell phone since my cell phone wasn't working. I requested them to transfer the money from my cell, which was $17 to my home phone and they said it would take 1 - 2 weeks. I haven't checked to see my balance on my home phone has increased yet as I haven't been dealing with Global Tel. But Global Tel told me that if they switchover that they would NOT charge me their $5 fee to get my money back since it wasn't My choice to switch to another phone company. I called Correctional Billing Services again yesterday as they told me Friday that I could call every day to find out when the switchover was taking place but got NOWHERE - and I HATE having to go through their automated menu which takes 5 minutes and possibly get hung up on or told to call back because they're busy, I WISH they had a number JUST for customer service! I set up my account with Correctional Billing Services, but I wish I didn't because when I call to speak to customer service, it doesn't give me an option to do so unless I use a number I didn't give them (I gave them 3 numbers). And I am kinda broke right now, with adding extra money to Global Tel and then having to add money to my husband's comissary account at Rikers (which he also uses to call me - at least the calls are cheaper, about $2 - $2.50 for a 15 minute call) and I probably will have to add More monery to my husband's comissary account at Rikers so we can talk after tomorrow as he goes to commisary tomorrow (since I didn't send enough money and they charge $7 or $8 each time you add money through JPay) and he's been Starving, plus they're No Longer giving them free soap as of tomorrow, which he uses to wash his clothes in addition to showering.

I'm sorry to hear you have not been receiving calls, I know I would be worried if he was at Riverhead and I wasn't getting calls. We talk in Riverhead twice a week, but he calls me Several times a day to "chirp" me so I can hear his voice. If I haven't heard from him, I sometimes call the Religion office at (631) 852 - 2728 and ecplain that I'm worried because I haven't heard from him and he calls me every day. In the past they called him down to the Religion office in the morning after I left a message, or they call me back first so he can call me - but know they can refuse to go to the Religion office too. If there is a power outage or they're in the process of switching out the phones and equipment from Global Tel to Correctional Billing Services (which I was worried might cause an interruption in calls, even though Global Tel told me they don't "think"? that would happen) they should be able to let you know. I found out Security's in charge of this phone switchover thing so you may want to call the general information number at (631) 852 - 2200 and just ask for security and ask THEM what's going on with the switchover.

How did you find out they were supposed to switch over on Thursday?

PLEASE keep me updated in this forum with any information you find out.

Thank You.

Sindarla
Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 AM

well he did call me yesterday! it turns out they got brand new phones and the company installing the phones told him the switch would be on the 18. he also said each call is going to be a lot cheaper once the switch is made which is pretty good news but ill belive it when i see it.. i cant wait for global tel link to be done!! i feel as though money is just evaporating! and i just about lost my patience with the automated service!! ..ur cellphone gets the foward calls? i know when i tryed fowarding my house phone to the cell we would get a recording after 5 mins that said we are being disconected for 3way calling i havnt tryed it in months but after his friday court date he should be going somewhere else anyway i hope!
Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLiELENANGEL View Post
well he did call me yesterday! it turns out they got brand new phones and the company installing the phones told him the switch would be on the 18. he also said each call is going to be a lot cheaper once the switch is made which is pretty good news but ill belive it when i see it.. i cant wait for global tel link to be done!! i feel as though money is just evaporating! and i just about lost my patience with the automated service!! ..ur cellphone gets the foward calls? i know when i tryed fowarding my house phone to the cell we would get a recording after 5 mins that said we are being disconected for 3way calling i havnt tryed it in months but after his friday court date he should be going somewhere else anyway i hope!
Check correctionalbillingservices.com . You can look up rates for Suffolk county jail in Riverhead. This is if you don't believe me - the calls are going to be the SAME price - $1.75 to connect (which ALL goes to Riverhead!) and 20 cents a minute, making a 15 minute call about $5 - I also asked when I called them. And it will cost $6.95 or $7.95 to add funds by debit or credit card - that comes off the top. In other words, if you pay Global Tel $25 they take $5 leaving you with enough for 4 calls. If you pay GTL $50 they take $10 leaving you with enough for 8 calls. If you pay the new company $25 (the minimum) they will charge you the $6.95 or $7.95 fee On Top of that, leaving you enough for 5 calls. And if you pay $50, they charge you the fee on top of that leaving you enough for 10 calls. You can pay up to $500 at a time. If you pay by money order or Western Union (maybe check?) they don't charge the fee but it takes I think they said 7 - 10 business days to clear. If you don't have enough on your account for a call your phone will be blocked until you add funds. Correctional Billing Services WILL credit you for a dropped call, just call them with the date and time of the call (they said EVEN for a cell phone, unlike GTL). And when he leaves Riverhead they will refund you ALL the money when you close your account. I'm not sure this new company is better than Global Tel, I have my own gripes with them Already! Well, I guess I want to hear from someone that they received a call with the new company before adding funds, but I may have to do it sooner than that, don't know when hubby's coming from Rikers, but it should be Friday or Monday. Then he will only be here about a week before going back to Rikers. I wish he wouldn't be going back so soon, that's spring break for my daughter and he Rarely gets to see her! We'll see what happens.

Yes, through county jail you CAN forward your calls and it SHOULDN'T disconnect for that as it ISN'T against the rules. But if your loved one's about to go upstate it IS against the rules There, as well as 3 way calls and calls to cell phones and they can lose their phone priviledges for these things. Prisons upstate are in the process of switching to a new company called V Connect from Global Tel. Downstate (where he'll probably go for Reception) is Already switched over. Their website is myvconnect.com . The calls will be about $1.58 with tax, with NO connect fee. That's for a 30 minute call. I'd look into setting up an account now and adding funds, if you mail a money order or send Western Union (No personal checks) there will be No fee - it takes maybe a week for them to receive it. If you pay by debit/credit card there's a $6.95 (or is it $7.95 ?) fee to add funds. So if he Is going upstate, once he gets there and you have funds on your account, you can talk away with the cheaper rates! Just right now not EVERY facility is switched over yet though many are, the list grows almost every day, they're supposed to be done by April, Maybe the beginning of April but Definitely by the end of April.

Again Please let me know when you or anyone else gets a call through Correctional Billing Services and let me know if the calls are longer or what you hear when the call first comes through, what you have to press to pick up (I'm having Several problems with my cell phone pressing certain numbers). Oh, by the way, when you call Correctional Billing Services to set up an account, if you provide them with an e-mail address you can track your account at correvtionalbillingservices.com .

Sindarla

Last edited by Sindarla; 03-17-2010 at 12:35 PM..
Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Account Closed

I called Correctional Billing Services a little while ago and they don't know when they're switching. Then I called Riverhead and asked if it's true they're switching over Thursday and was told that's true. But then I said ok so that's definite then and she said it's not definite. I put in a call to Global Tel and they're supposed to call me back in the next 1 1/2 hours. They will probably Still say they don't know that they have lost the contract. I guess that's their way of charging you the $5 to get your money back since they will probably say they're still doing the phones in Riverhead. I checked and they Did transfer the money to my home phone so I know have almost $26 on there which I probably won't use. And it'll probably take Forever to get the money back and I probably won't even get the full amount. I'm Sooo frustrated!

Sindarla
Old 03-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Account Closed

Last night I added $25 (the minimum you can add) to my account with Correctional Billing Services, enough for 5 calls and they added $6.95 on top of that, so my total was $31.95. When I checked my bank's website, they had charged me $25 and a separate fee of $6.95. Now I'm wondering if they switched over today. Can someone please let me know that got a call today what company was used, Global Tel or Correctional Billing Services? And I got a replacement cell phone so that works now too. I don'tt know if I previously mentioned, with the new phone company you can add as many phone numbers as you want to your account and the calls will come through any of thrm and be deducted from your account. I haven't checked correctionalbillingservices.com to check my balance but I paid over the phone and they told me that the money already cleared and was in my account.

PLEASE post if you received a call from Riverhead today or after today and let me and everyone else know what company was used, Global Tel or Correctional Billing Services. I hope my husband goes back to Riverhead tomorrow so I can see him on a walk-in visit on Saturday.

Sindarla
Old 03-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Account Closed

Well, I believe my husband's pn his way back to Riverhead right now. I called Riverhead and they said that they have to fix 1 or 2 things with the new phone company (Correctional Billing Services) so I'm not sure if the calls are going through them yet but I was told that the collect calls WILL be going through the new company later today. I'm waiting to hear from my husband today since I have money on the new company. Once I know the calls are hooked up through the new company I can call Global Tel for a refund of my money.

As Soon As anyone gets a call with the new company, if possible, can you post your experience here? I will try to if I'm not out. I'm going out from 2:30 PM until after 7 PM.

Thanks!

Sindarla
Old 03-19-2010, 10:28 AM

My husband is in Yaphank and they also got new phones, and i have an account with Correctional Billing Services now but they still haven't started. I don't know why my husband said the CO said they were starting yesterday but no changes have been made yet, its still global tel. I put money on the CBS account and i hope the global tel calls stop soon. If anyone has any information of when the switch is actually happening that would be great to know
Old 03-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Account Closed

My husband got to Riverhead today around 11:30 AM and he was allowed to call me for free 3 times, the 1st 2 times for 15 minutes and the last for a few minutes. He called from the old (Global Tel) # 631-9534600. (It didn't get charged to my phone because he called a phone that I don't have money on and I didn't have to press 0 to accept.) Well he called me at 6:45 PM during my daughter's first soccer practice. It's official! The switch to Correctional Billing Services has been made. There's a LONG spiel at the beginning. You have to press 1 to accept the call and wait for them to tell you to start talking. There was a warning 1 minute before the 15 minutes is over. Then after 1 minute it tells you your time is up, thank you for using Correctional Billing Services (Well, it may have been another name for the company). Both times it talked we were in the middle of talking about something and it just talked right over us so we were not able to hear what each other were saying. I don't know if the inmate can still "chirp" you anymore, my hubby said he would try and I didn't get any calls from him after that. The money for the call STILL hadn't been taken off my account 45 minutes later, I called them and 1st they said it gets taken off right away and then they said it takes 1 - 2 hours, so we REALLY gotta keep track ourselves of how many calls we've used. I still haven't had a chance to check if it was taken off my account yet. When your loved one calls you, it DOESN'T say on the beginning message your account balance like Global Tel did. My husband sometimes wants to check the account balance when he calls because if it's low he may not stay on the line for me to accept the call to save me money. Oh, the number that was on my called ID when he called using Correctional Billing Services was 8667184777so make SURE to pick up if you see an 866 number. At first I didn't pick up because I don't pick up 800 or 866 numbers until he called another phone I have. The sound quality on the call wasn't so good there was background noises and static on the call. I called Global Tel and when they called me back at 10 PM I explained that they switched to another company and asked for a FULL refund. They said they WOULDN'T deduct ANY money and would credit it to my credit card in 7 business days. If I wanted a check it would have took 2 - 3 months!!!

Well Good Luck everyone! Now I'm going to try to get to sleep soon because I'm going to go on a 2:30 PM walk-in visit tomorrow to see my papi and I have to take the bus (2 buses Actually) so I have to be ready to leave my house around 10 AM.

Good night!

Take Care,

Sindarla
Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrysgirl88 View Post
My husband is in Yaphank and they also got new phones, and i have an account with Correctional Billing Services now but they still haven't started. I don't know why my husband said the CO said they were starting yesterday but no changes have been made yet, its still global tel. I put money on the CBS account and i hope the global tel calls stop soon. If anyone has any information of when the switch is actually happening that would be great to know
I don't know about Yaphank since hubby's in Riverhead again now, but I just left you a PM.

Sindarla
Old 03-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Account Closed

I was billed $5.31 for my 15 minute call, I called Correctional Billing Services and they said the 56 cents extra was tax, but for a $4.75 call, with NY state tax being 8 3/4% the call should've been the SAME as Global Tel's call at a little UNDER $5 as they charged the EXACT Same rates as this new company Plus tax also! I was filing a complaint and asking for them to rate the tax correctly on my call and credit me the difference and I was told to fax them, I stated thnat I'm Not a company and I Don't have a fax number/machine and was told to go to the website and contact them live or e-mail me, I tried to contact them live but it said there's nobody there now, then I tried to e-mail them but my e-mail messed up and it erased it instead of sending it. I'm going to try to contact them again soon. At this rate, $25 will ONLY get you Four full calls, so now we are LOSING money! Hubby had told me a few weeks ago a CO told him they were switching because Global Tel's rates were going up 20% but EVERY time I called them and asked then about that during this switchover process they said they had No information about the rates going up. I liked Global tel better I think so far, even though with Global Tel you hsve problems with their customer service sometimes.

Well, Now it's almost 1:30 AM and I'm EXHAUSTED! I hope I get to sleep soon as I gotta wake up 7:30 - 8 AM tomorrow so I can catch my 1st bus 10 - 10:45 AM to get to the 2:30 PM visit...I HOPE I get to see him on a walk-in!

Sindarla
Old 03-20-2010, 06:34 PM
Account Closed

Well, I got to see my Papi today - He said all the guys are grieving this new phone company because it was SUPPOSED to save us money and it's ACTUALLY Costing us MORE money! Hubby said he was gonna include a list of calls he made at Rikers, where calls come STRAIGHT out of their commissary - a 15 minute call was ONLY about $2.08 . HOPEFULLY they will change the system and it will be cheaper and come out of comissary, but knowing the way things were SOOO slow to change for the phone calls Upstate (it took MANY, MANY years!) I Doubt ANYTHING will happen ANYTIME soon! HOPEFULLY enough of us will contact Correctional Billing Services and complain about how they're overcharging us tax - they're charging 56 cents on a 15 minute call which costs only $4.75, same as Global Tel and with tax their calls were LESS Than $5!!! PLEASE ANYBODY reading this call, e-mail and send a chat message thru correctionalbillingservices.com to complain and ask that they re-rate your calls at 8 3/4 sales tax rate that is the LAWFUL tax rate for Suffolk County, NY and credit you and all the other account holders receiving calls from Suffolk County Jail!

Sindarla
Old 03-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Account Closed

Well, I TRIED to send a chat message through correctionalbillingservices.com for the Second time today only for it to say for the Second time that Nobody was there to respond and to send an e-mail (When you call customer service they say the automated system says that they have someone there live to respond to you 24/7 - I guess That's a lie!) I'm getting kind of worried reading some of the complaints people have posted online that Correctional Billing Services has charged their credit cards and blocked their accounts for calls that were Never attempted or made and that (contrary to what they told me) they Won't close their account and send the money back, they tell them to fax them and wait 24 - 48 hours and then it's a month later, first they say they got the fax but send it again, then they say they Never got Either fax when the person sending it has the confirmation page as proof that they got it! This new company is frustrating and aggravating to deal with! Anyway, I sent them an e-mail. This is the e-mail I sent them:

My account - Calls from Suffolk County Jail - Riverhead, NY (631-...)

Sunday, March 21, 2010 5:50 PM

To:

customer_service@correctionalbillingservices.com

Dear Customer Service:

I just started receiving collect calls from Suffolk County Jail in Riverhead, New York starting this past Friday, March 19, 2010 when they switched over from Global Tel. The calls are the EXACT same amount of money as Global Tel charged, $1.75 connection fee and 20 cents a minute, making a 15 minute call $3 plus the $1.75 connection fee for a total of $4.75 . The old company ALSO charged tax and the total was just under $5 as Suffolk county, New York sales tax is 8 3/4% , which is where the calls originate from And go to in my case. You are charging me on top of the $4.75, 56 cents for tax which is MORE than 8 3/4% sales tax on the $4.75 call. PLEASE re-rate my calls and credit my account with the difference And re-rate All other accounts who receive calls from Any Suffolk County Jail where the calls are received in Suffolk county, New York at the LEGAL sales tax rate for Suffolk county, New York of 8 3/4% .

PLEASE contact me at my home phone, (631)... regarding this matter and also if you need any additional information. I tried calling Customer Service and they refused to help me and I was told to fax something in, then I was told to go to correctionalbillingservice.com and go to the live chat, I tried that Friday, March 19, 2010 and today, March 21, 2010 and it said there was nobody there and to e-mail you instead.

Awaiting your Prompt reply to my home phone number, (631)...

Sincerely,

Well, I HOPE I hear from them but I'm not holding my breath as they are stealing the extra money. I will see if I can try and call them about this either, but they are NOT very helpful when you tell them that you are disputing the amount of tax they are charging as too much.

Sindarla
Old 03-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Account Closed

I received an e-mail back from Correctional Billing Services. This is what they said:

Dear Valued Customer,

Please see the amount in taxes per 15 min call. Please note that rates are subject to change.

State tax .19
NY State Excise Tax .12
County Sales Tax .20
Ny MTA Surchg on Excise Tax .03
Metro Commuter Trans Dis .02

These are the taxes based off of one 15min call you receive from Suffolk County to telephone number 631....
The rate is 1.75 connection fee and .20 cents per minute plus tax.

Please let us know if we may further assist you.

Thank you,

Customer Care

What's this "Ny MTA Surchg on Excise Tax" ? And Global Tel ONLY charged County Sales Tax, making the calls total $4.95....Are they LEGALLY allowed to charge the rest of these fees? I think they're just BSing us to collect more money than they're legally entitle to. After all, if they were LEGALLY allowed to collect all these fees, Global Tel would've too. After I check and respond to my mail in my Inbox on this site, I'm about to respond to this e-mail with Correctional Billing Services, but it seems like I'm not gonna get anywhere! I will probably have to make another $25 payment (plus their fee of $6.95) in a few days. (I would put more after the 5th when I take my check to the bank but my husband is going back & forth to Rikers so I don't really know how many calls we will use this month.) Is ANYONE as frustrated as I am already with this company?

Sindarla
Old 03-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Account Closed

OK, this is the e-mail I sent back. I felt that I/we are going to lose, so I let them know how our inmate loved ones are working on fighting back.

Dear Customer Service:

What's this "Ny MTA Surchg on Excise Tax" ? The collect call company we just had before you, Global Tel ONLY charged County Sales Tax, making the calls total $4.95 . I DON'T believe you're LEGALLY allowed to charge the rest of these fees, other than Suffolk County sales tax. I think you're just ripping us off and collecting more money than you're legally entitled to. After all, if you were LEGALLY allowed to collect all these fees, Global Tel (the last collect carrier we had until early Friday evening, March 19, 2010) would've too. The Corrections Officers in Suffolk County Jail told the inmates that they were switching to your company to save us loved ones money, but so far it's Actually COSTING us MORE money! I'm being ripped off with this $6.95 fee when with the last company I ONLY paid $5 for a $25 payment and that WASN'T charged On Top of the $25! And I CAN'T pay MORE than $25 at a time because I'd have to wait until I get my monthly check, and then I STILL can't pay more than $25 since my husband's being shipped back and forth from Suffolk County Jail in Riverhead to another facility in New York city (Rikers) that does NOT use your company for collect calls and actually the calls there are MUCH cheaper - 15 minutes for $2.08, and the calls come STRAIGHT out of comissary RATHER Than having to be connected by a company such as yours. Right now, the inmates, as of the day AFTER you switched over as the collect call phone provider in Riverhead are grieving the decision to use your company as the new provider since the promise to save us money is NOT true and we are spending MORE money with your company and instead they are asking for the calls to come out of comissary. Cutting out ANY collect calling company would ACTUALLY result in the jail making MORE money, cutting the calls by half like Rikers and Suffolk County Jail would be able to collect ALL the profit. The main reason I'm telling you all this is to keep you informed that we and our loved one inmates ARE fighting back against the problems that we are ALREADY experiencing with your company.

Sincerely,

Well, I think this is just an exercise in frustration, I don't expect a reply since I told them we were trying to fight the decision to use their services through the county jail and I don't think they're going to cut their "extra" taxes! So now we just lose anymore - I NEVER thought I'd say this - But I'd RATHER be dealing with Global Tel! Customer Service was HORRIBLE but the calls were cheaper and whenever I paid $25 I knew I'd get four 15 minute calls and I didn't mind so much them taking the $5 out out of the total charge - it's Better than getting charged a fee on top of the $25! And the fee for $25 is MORE than Global Tel's $5 fee - to put $25 in the account you HAVE to pay $31.95!!!!! I HATE this new company!!!!! I hope my husband goes upstate before the end of April! At least in upstate prisons the calls will be $1.50 plus tax for 30 minutes! I WISH we could have a contract like the one upstate with NO connect feesand only 5 cents a minute! That would make our calls 75 cents plus tax, but I know it won't happen ANYTIME soon as the county wants their $1.75 kickback!

Sindarla