Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Hepatitis C
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hepatitis C Living with it, inside prison and out in the world.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Forever reaching

Ok but how? Like medically how? Sperm doesn't contain blood either and hep c is a blood transmitted disease only. It's not like HIV where it can me spread through semen and female secretions etc. Unless it has changed and I'm not up to date- but when I asked my dr about it he said sex with blood to blood contact, not just sex or rough sex, any type of sex that involves bleeding into each other's blood. He said they have to legally say it can be transmitted during sex because there could be possible bleeding between both partners during the sex "act" Do you have any links with more info. Would like to know more! My husband just cleared it through the triple drug treatment and I just tested negative last week- but I'm still always interested in knowing more. Thank you

"Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up."
-The Reverend Jesse Jackson

@~~{~~~~~
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Banned

Sexual transmission of HCV had been considered to occur rarely. However, recent data indicate that sexual transmission of HCV can occur, especially among HIV-infected persons. CDC surveillance data demonstrate that 10% of persons with acute HCV infection report contact with a known HCV-infected sex partner as their only risk for infection (437). Specific studies of HCV transmission between heterosexual or homosexual couples have yielded mixed results, but generally have found low but increased rates of HCV infection in partners of persons with HCV infection compared with those whose partners are not HCV-infected (450–455)

http://www.cdc.gov/std/treatment/2010/hepc.htm

Getting HCV by having sex with someone does not happen very often. But we know that it is possible to give or get blood-borne viruses, like HCV, during sex. HCV is not usually found in body fluids like semen or vaginal fluids. If it is there, it is in very small amounts.
If someone is in a long-term relationship with a person who has hepatitis C, there is only a small chance (up to 3% over 20 years) that they could get hepatitis C from their sexual partner. Of course this assumes that neither partner is having sex outside of the relationship.
It may be easier for women to get HCV from men than for men to get HCV from women. It may be easier to get HCV when havin sex with a woman who has HCV while she’s on her menstrual cycle, or period. This is because HCV is spread through the blood

http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis...s/sextrans.pdf
Old 08-05-2012, 07:53 PM

Thanked 5,131 Times in 2,375 Posts

Hep C is not a sexually transmitted disease. It is a blood borne pathogen and therefore transmitted via blood to blood. Let you imagination run wild and see if there is a senerio when both partners would be bleeding at the same time during sex.
That is what has to happen! If there is no blood, then there is nothing for the virus to attach to. It is that simple.

There are however people who engage in activities that have the potential to lead to bleeding, and for those individuals, and in those cases only, then yes, it can happen.

Protection is a good idea anyway for the zillion diseases that ARE sexually transmitted.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 AM
Banned

For someone to tell me to allow my imagination to run wild after input my story out there, and backed it up with links to government websites like someone asked me to do. She wasnt even involved in the conversation. She is one of the reasons why people w hep c r made to feel ashamed and feel as tho we need to keep quiet about our disease.
Ive been with my husband for 12 years. He shared a needle with his nephew who shared a needle with his friend knowing that he had hep c. I dont look dont on them for doin what they did, i dont condone it because it caused them to do things that put them both in jail for extended periods of time. I have never used intravenous drugs. I was gettin routine blood work done during my pregnancy when i found out. I actually tried to kill myself after havin my son because i was so scared. I was scared i was gonna die, inwas scared i was goin to pass it to my children and i was scared of bein judged as a person on my disease.
Ive had sex on my period, but my husband doesnt have any sores at all for blood on blood contact.
And, someone asked for references and i gave quotes and links to new government research being done by the cdc saying that their r traces of hep c virus in sperm and vaginal secretions. And that 10% of newly contracted hep c patients acquired it sexually.
So maybe swearing was childish. But until people choose to see whats going on, choose to be negative call people liars (yes me, i acquired it sexually) and continue to put people down, they will be the ones living with their heads in the clouds and lettin their imaginations run wild

I came to this post to make people aware. To put my story out there. I didnt want to preach to anyone i didnt want to make anyone uncomfortable. I did what i came here to do and im done w this thread. If anyone wants to reach me they can pm me i wont be comin back here.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:43 AM

The CDC information was provided by my doctor- no need to re-post what I already wrote ( the government guidelines) the ONLY reason any percent of sexual transmission is even listed is because people would sue if it wasn't there.

I told PTO when I came back that I make no apology for the science. My posts unfortunately are not opinion and are based on 25 years of facts and evolving knowledge as the medical community continues to seek better outcomes for those with the disease.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:06 PM

Your doctor gave you the correct information.

It is always a good idea to ask the doctor first. If the doctor states that they are not familiar with the disease, then it's fine to go elsewhere for information.

Hep C is a very complicated disease and many doctors do not want to get involved with it and that is fine.

The science has NOT changed. It is a blood borne pathogen that transmitted via blood to blood contact. I am happy to hear that someone was completely cleared with the triple therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trondogs View Post
Ok but how? Like medically how? Sperm doesn't contain blood either and hep c is a blood transmitted disease only. It's not like HIV where it can me spread through semen and female secretions etc. Unless it has changed and I'm not up to date- but when I asked my dr about it he said sex with blood to blood contact, not just sex or rough sex, any type of sex that involves bleeding into each other's blood. He said they have to legally say it can be transmitted during sex because there could be possible bleeding between both partners during the sex "act" Do you have any links with more info. Would like to know more! My husband just cleared it through the triple drug treatment and I just tested negative last week- but I'm still always interested in knowing more. Thank you
Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Donation Award 

My husband gets treatment in prison. He also has 15 years left on his bid. So, you can get treatment in prison. Because of AIDS and Hep C & B, Virginia made it illegal to get or give prison tats.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:48 PM

I just got a call from my boyfriend yesterday. He'd been having issues with his liver, and the jail he's now in just did some tests. He called me yesterday while I was at work to tell me he'd been diagnosed with Hep C. Luckily for me, I have the antibodies, but he was so terrified and I had to calm him down.

hopefully the meds that they will give him to manage it doesn't make him sick. And I hope that he's not too terrified anymore now that I've told him that everything is all right and that I'm sticking with him throughout this. He was just so scared that him telling me that he had Hep C was a dealbreaker and that I would leave him.

I did some digging because he was worried what his having it, would do for our plans to have children. And soon as i talk to him again I'll be able to tell him, that he won't pass the Hep C to our kids and I likely won't pass the antibody to them either. So that should make him happier than he was on Friday.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Rice2good2be=4gotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcouture7 View Post
For someone to tell me to allow my imagination to run wild after input my story out there, and backed it up with links to government websites like someone asked me to do. She wasnt even involved in the conversation. She is one of the reasons why people w hep c r made to feel ashamed and feel as tho we need to keep quiet about our disease.
Ive been with my husband for 12 years. He shared a needle with his nephew who shared a needle with his friend knowing that he had hep c. I dont look dont on them for doin what they did, i dont condone it because it caused them to do things that put them both in jail for extended periods of time. I have never used intravenous drugs. I was gettin routine blood work done during my pregnancy when i found out. I actually tried to kill myself after havin my son because i was so scared. I was scared i was gonna die, inwas scared i was goin to pass it to my children and i was scared of bein judged as a person on my disease.
Ive had sex on my period, but my husband doesnt have any sores at all for blood on blood contact.
And, someone asked for references and i gave quotes and links to new government research being done by the cdc saying that their r traces of hep c virus in sperm and vaginal secretions. And that 10% of newly contracted hep c patients acquired it sexually.
So maybe swearing was childish. But until people choose to see whats going on, choose to be negative call people liars (yes me, i acquired it sexually) and continue to put people down, they will be the ones living with their heads in the clouds and lettin their imaginations run wild

I came to this post to make people aware. To put my story out there. I didnt want to preach to anyone i didnt want to make anyone uncomfortable. I did what i came here to do and im done w this thread. If anyone wants to reach me they can pm me i wont be comin back here.
Thank you for putting your information on here.
I too know people who have caught this sexually @ only 3% chance.
however it still happened. Always possibilities!

Always possibilities....

Blessings
KImi06

KIMI06

Last edited by Kimi06; 01-18-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 AM

I know a doctor who's wife got pregnant while on the pill which is 99% effective. Clearly she was in the 1%. No one is saying that it is impossible to get Hep C via sexual transmission, only that it is very rare and that when it does happen it is due to blood to blood contact. Thanks for sharing.