Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:51 PM

Default Owning a business while being incarcerated

I will be going away to a prison camp for a few years and I am wondering what if anything I can do regarding my family business while I am gone.

I am well aware that incarcerated people cannot run a business while in prison, so therefore I have been making arrangements for the past few months to ease the transition as much as possible.

Since my family also works at my business I am wondering to what extent can I talk to them about work when we communicate? For example, I know that I cannot get involved in the day-to-day operations of the business, however can I occasionally ask about work and how things are going? Can I give them my opinion when they ask me a work related question?

The rules on the FBOP website seem pretty general/broad about this matter. I figure the enforcement and interpretation of the rule is going to vary a lot by institution. If anyone has any specific experience about where they draw the line, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,437 Times in 800 Posts

From what I've read and what has been communicated to me they draw the line with any 'business activity' while incarcerated. I have read where that included any business discussions on the telephone (especially), through the mail, or even during visitations.

I have read of inmates being placed in segregation for attempting to run a business or aiding in the administration of a business while serving a sentence. And finally I have read that people who blog, write 'guidebooks,' or offer any type of consulting via the internet or mail or sell ancedotes about their experiences while incarcerated during their incarceration could be in violation of that policy.

It is quite possible the information I am sharing with you is not totally accurate, but it is the product of what I've read here, on other websites, and the policy statement from the BOP. I would think the best thing to do is to continue to make other arrangements as you're doing and try to focus on some other constructive aspect of your life while inside. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 AM

I was incarcerated for almost two years in a camp recently. I saw people go to the SHU for even the slightest suggestion that there MIGHT be any type of business activity (inside the camp or outside as well). They even put one woman in the SHU pending investigation because they THOUGHT maybe she was talking business. I would be very very cautious. Definitely no email, phone or incoming business activity talk. They do not regularly monitor outgoing, but they can. The safest place to talk and catch up on the family business is in a live visit. Also, they shakedown lockers regularly and can read anything you might have in there. SO, if you do communicate about business at all, I would destroy it afterwards. Not being paranoid, it's just I lived and witnessed firsthand the complete and utter unreasonableness that exists. They can twist the statement "Good Morning" into a threat and do at times depending on their agenda.

I hope I didn't make you nervous. I just want you to be well informed to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I have a small business that a friend is going to take care of while I am gone and I would not have known that I can't talk about it without ramifications. I guess I should have known better. Why should we be able to make ends meet while we are locked up? If we do, there's a chance we will make it and not return. THEN whose pockets won't get lined?? After all, we are in a recession.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 AM

wow, this is really disappointing. i understand why they have the rules about not operating a business while incarcerated, but its still pretty frustrating that I can't give any general input whatsoever... i just hope my business doesn't fall apart while I'm away. that would be more punishment than going away for a couple years... way more punishment.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,860 Times in 4,352 Posts

Just for folks' general information, federal inmates are able to discuss general finances with family members, such as distribution of inheritance funds or contributions to retirement accounts, etc. - I would suggest that if the discussion/information is not about the direct operation of a business (which is against the rules) and involves sending financial information to or from the institution by mail or on the phone, have the inmate check with his/her prison counselor to make sure it's O.K.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 AM

Talk at visits and not on the phone or via mail.
The Following User Says Thank You to freein2009 For This Useful Post:
Wobabi (03-02-2010)
Old 03-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,841 Times in 4,101 Posts

,,I agree with Free,,do NOT use the phone or mail,,,I read where people keep saying the phones are not that closely monitored but my hunnie was at a camp and they were on our phones like white on rice,,every little sneeze and hiccup,,, and it was the phones that got him sent back behind the wall over a perceived escape plan,,I mean really there is no planning an escape at a camp you just walk off,,,anywho we only talk at visits to avoid the drama
Old 03-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Donation Award 

Not necessarily related to talking about businesses, but some conversations during visits have been recorded by the government, so don't assume they aren't. Doubtful in a camp setting but one never knows...

Also, even in visits, you have to beware of the folks sitting around you. Some inmates like to snitch. And some visitors, if they feel you are getting away with something they'd like to be doing, will run their mouths too - and not necessarily with the intention of getting you in trouble but out of carelessness. Z.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:35 PM

My wife is in FP and when she tried to get a visit from the person that she left her bussiness with the BOP refused , when she was caught talking about the bussiness on the phone she was given two weeks in the SHU . They are very very strict about this I am sorry to say .
I hope it all works out for you
Old 03-12-2010, 10:47 PM

I have recent personal experience. My husband had a lawncare business that I inherited when he became incarcerated. We never had any personal bad experience discussing the nature of the business. Now saying that he was paranoid about saying stuff from time to times b/c he was told that he couldn't discuss the business stuff. Anyways, we did talk about the business on a daily basis cause I about had a nervous breakdown trying to run it and work my career also. He would write me and tell me all about the things I needed to do pretty specifically and tell me on the phone, alot of times he would call when I was having employee trouble and get on their butts about trying to screw me over. Fortunately we never incurred any troubles or even hint of troubles in our own personal situation. Also fortunately I was able to grow the business and sell it for a nice profit. However, I have also had to pay more taxes since I owned two businesses. I am self employed also. We were family owned with the lawncare, and his family way tried to take advantage of me cause that's just the kind of people they are and he wasn't around to stop them. So things have worked out well for our situation. Hopefully you have somebody completely trustworthy to take over you assets. Also we had to get everything into my name pretty quickly after he went to jail. That's what a lawyer told us to do anyway, cause he was pretty adamant that you can't own a business or have one in your name if you are in prison. Wish you the best of luck, and please like I said this is only our personal experience, we had no trouble, but we were both completely aware that there could have been trouble. As far as my side of it I could always vent to him about how my day went running my business. Just like anybody could tell their spouse how their day at work went. Best of Luck!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 AM

Every prison is going to be slightly different and even how the guards and administration view the one incarcerrated will determine how much you can "get away with". My father left me a business to run and we talk often on the phone about it. I can tell him how much we have sold, what problems I am currently facing, new products I am looking at, various other things. One thing we stay well clear of is money, I can tell him I sold 3 blades, 4 perimeter switches, 6 pea shellers, and he can do the math in his head, but I would never say over the phone we moved $1,000 in product today. I can describe new items we are picking up and he can recommend if he thinks they will sell or not, but I never mention price or pricing. One thing I would avoid completely is making demands and statements, always speak as if making suggestions or recommendations. Telling a family member to do something with the business is never good and always ensure they bring up the topic first asking questions and wanting advice. It might be that the prison you are sent to is very strict and will not even allow these types of things, thankfully my father and I can communicate some to continue what he has already built before going away.

You can have a business in your name while you are incarcerrated, but you cannot "run" the business, which is a loose term.

In camps you will find a lot of people who have cellphones, including very nice blackberries. A lot of these are not just to call up and talk dirty to their girlfriends or wives, a lot of it is to run a business on the outside. More so than just a daily checkup, but to actually talk about money, transferring money, talking about stocks, and all sorts of other no, no stuff while in prison. They risk a lot by doing this, some are high profile people who will never be sent up to the low and mediums, however, unless you are being taken down for 15-25 million dollars, stay away from cellphones or they will send you up to a low security quickly (a good friend of my dad's was caught and he is now gone).

Last edited by Arkaris; 03-23-2010 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: added footnote about owning business and cellphones.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,551 Times in 1,078 Posts

You advice scares me a little. You say you are allowed to talk of these things, but has someone said that to him, or have you just gotten away with it up to now. I don't think there is any leeway in the BOP policy and people should not be getting the idea that there is. The policy is in place because so many people in prison are fraudsters or drug bosses who attempt to continue to run illegal enterprises and real business owners get trapped in the restriction.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellisq View Post
You advice scares me a little. You say you are allowed to talk of these things, but has someone said that to him, or have you just gotten away with it up to now. I don't think there is any leeway in the BOP policy and people should not be getting the idea that there is. The policy is in place because so many people in prison are fraudsters or drug bosses who attempt to continue to run illegal enterprises and real business owners get trapped in the restriction.
I know that he has been warned once about us talking on the phone. I am not certain what the exact warning was and since then we have implemented the no money discussion rule, and that I always have to breach the topic first rule. He is on the good side of almost all of the administration up there, who even call him by his prison nicknames (which there are at least 12), so I am not certain how much they "let us get away with." I do know that since we started those two rules he has not been warned again and that was a little over a year and a half ago. It could very well be that we are talking about buying and sold products that they do not consider it business activites, but merely information, like badwsc said, I have no firm answer to that.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:35 AM

wow! ok this is crazy! i have got to talk to my baby at visit on Sat. Cuz here for months we've been talking bout a business an several business's actualy trying to figure out which is more profitable which we can do now and what we want to do when he comes home, i mean right down to me sending him stuff ii've researched online and he talks to me bout this and that that we can do with it and how we can start this or that i mean let's just say it's obvious that we are working on startng a business and or sevral! Right now to him telling me in an email to ask the kids to start thinking of company name so that they are part of our company as well! so i dunno i mean there is now way he can't know that he can't do this but i need to talk to him bout this situation at visit he is in federal detentcion center right now still waiting to be moved to his designated facility which will mostlikely be max - so we either can do as much as we can now and then have to make it as it's MINE and i'm telling him bout MY day instead of OURS and maybe the detention cente isn't as strict on this policy --- wow! i dont want him in the shu again! lol
glad this post was here so i can talk to him bout this and figure out how we wil handle it in the very near future and make sure we have as muh done as possible b4 he's moved since we see to be ok where he's at talkin bout it!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:34 PM

Cell phones are considered contraband and a BIG "no-no".
Old 03-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,551 Times in 1,078 Posts

[quote=Ronsbaby;5295986]wow! ok this is crazy! i have got to talk to my baby at visit on Sat. Cuz here for months we've been talking bout a business an several business's actualy trying to figure out which is more profitable which we can do now and what we want to do when he comes home,]

You aren't operating a business - you are planning a business, that's not the same. It's theoretical and I can't see that as a problem.

Last edited by bellisq; 03-23-2010 at 07:37 PM..
Old 03-27-2010, 10:02 AM

I've been reading a few places that outgoing mail is not nearly as closely monitored as incoming mail. I was thinking perhaps this was a better way to offer my suggestions to my family on business matters...

Anyone have any comments about how closely monitored outgoing mail is?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:26 AM
waiting for my heart

I would name the business. you know like Rover sound like your refering to a pet. How is rover doing. obviously you can't be specific but you can at least here whats up.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:40 AM
TIME INVESTED IN LOVE

I believe that applys if ur building something in prison this buisness exsist already its different for u . My baby i learned alot in prison which he already had knowledge of he sent me a packet of how he would build secure his buisness threw the mail so ask more questions . But thats what i think . And u have proof this buisness is here already. And its not underground.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Donation Award 

Here's a news article related to this topic:

Evangelist Alamo loses prison phone privileges
(AP) – 1 day ago
TEXARKANA, Ark. — An attorney says convicted evangelist Tony Alamo has had his telephone privileges suspended for more than 400 days for violating Federal Bureau of Prisons policy.
Alamo attorney Phillip Kuhn says the 75-year-old Alamo was trying to conduct business over the phone from the U.S. Penitentiary in Tucson, Ariz.

Link to rest of article:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...uWwMAD9EPL4QG1
Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Donation Award 

I do want to add that, if there is a very necessary reason for discussing financial affairs with a federal prisoner, he can always go to his counselor and explain it and get prior permission. Not the operation of a business but, for example, if the prisoner gets an inheritance and needs to make decisions on how to handle it, division of the proceeds, where to invest the money, etc. This happened to us and the counselor granted permission and there was no problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
Mom of 1 in 15 (04-01-2010)