Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > FLDOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

FLDOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Florida Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the FLDOC system should be posted here.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:51 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

Arrow Furlough Sponsors and Work Release Info

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. If you are applying to be a furlough sponsor for someone in work release you need to do the following:

Complete the form they provide honestly
Attach a copy of:

Proof of Insurance
Driver's License
Vehicle Registration
Passport size recent photo

You can go to Wal-Mart and for $9.97 they will take a passport picture. You actually get two. They give them to you right then. Except for the picture, none of this is requested on the form. Nothing was attached to the form I filled out. My husband told me I needed to provide proof of insurance and a copy of our vehicle registration, but said he didn't believe the DL was necessary since they had a copy of it on file already. Apparently not. Even though I mailed it in certified/return receipt and they signed for it on the 4th of February, it 2qw Saturday the 20th before they told him they needed a copy of my DL. Because he's gotten a job we qualify for a furlough this weekend. And he put in for it last night. He called me Saturday morning before I left to go visit so I copied the DL and brought it up there. Thankfully the Major was there before I left so I made it a point to tell him and he got the paperwork and stapled the DL copy to it and stated he'd take it to the Main Unit the next day (or Monday). So I'm hoping it'll be approved. From my understanding they are checking to make sure a person does not have a criminal record and then it will depend on when it was. Since I don't have one it shouldn't be an issue. But I'm going to be pissed if we are denied because I haven't been approved when I sent the paperwork in plenty of time. I just want other people to know what they need so they don't have any issues.

Last edited by wifeofMichael; 02-22-2010 at 04:53 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to wifeofMichael For This Useful Post:
Dar99 (02-24-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 05:52 PM

And you have to be an immediate family member. So being a girlfriend or fiance wouldn't suffice, isn't that correct? It is my understanding that you have to be married to him. Just making sure.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
BayBayWife

Yes I heard that also from someone who works at a work release center, that you must be an immediate family member or wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlinwaitin View Post
And you have to be an immediate family member. So being a girlfriend or fiance wouldn't suffice, isn't that correct? It is my understanding that you have to be married to him. Just making sure.

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to BAYBAYWIFE For This Useful Post:
girlinwaitin (02-22-2010)
Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 PM

now, if you rent your car then do you still qualify to be a sponsor? if my hubby is placed a good distance from home- far enough that it would be a good idea to rent a hotel room for the day- then i would probably rent a car. and also what happens if you simply dont have a car,or your car wont go very far(a beater lol) and you rent one when you have to visit? how on earth does one go about that? or if youre borrowing a car? (lol can you tell i dont have a car right now?). im sure there are others in my current situation. i would hope they wouldnt deny you because you have to rent/borrow a car?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:48 AM

Yes they prefer immediate family members but it is my understanding if there is none available they will allow others to sponsor. https://www.flrules.org/gateway/Rule...?ID=33-601.603

(a) A Type B furlough sponsor shall be a relative, unless a relative is not available to serve as a sponsor or fails to meet the criteria to serve as a sponsor, then a non-relative furlough sponsor may be utilized.

As for the rental car thing that is a question that needs to be addressed. I would think showing the proper rental car paperwork would suffice as well as having a valid DL. I know people come in from out of town. If you do furlough to a motel room you must stay in the room. No going down the hall for ice and sodas. Get all that together before you go pick him up. No going down to the pool, etc.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM

My son and I were just talking about the "family member" thing. He heard it has to be immediate family as well. He isn't up for work release yet, but was considering the Daytona WRC since it is near my sister's house (his aunt). My nephew & niece also work in a restaurant where they might be able to even get him a job at. One other problem he was considering is that the job & my sister live in Flagler, not Valusia County but it is less than 20 minutes to Daytona from where they are at.

Does anyone know if DOC allows you to leave the county when you are on the boarder of another county?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:14 PM

Yes. I live in a different county than the WRC. It's about a twenty minute trip and was told it was not a problem.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,467 Times in 3,665 Posts

I believe where you are allowed to furlough to is based on the distance not that it is located within the city, county, etc.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare
Old 03-15-2012, 10:20 AM

Ok so I have a question. My daughters father is eligible for forloughs, I have filled out the paperwork and spoke with the man in charge in classification and there doesnt seem to be a problem he did however need a copy of my daughters birth certificate where it stated that this man was her father. Anyway my question is this, I live about 2 hours away however his family only lives about 45 minutes away. Most of the time when I get him out we would be going to his families house so they can all see him as well. My question is, if there are times when we stay in the general vincinity of the work release program what are the guidelines for that? We have a 3 year old daughter together, so going to a park or down to the pool if I got a room around there are these things that can be done. There is just very limited infornation on what can and can not be done when he is out on furlough. If we went to my house and he was out in the pool playing with his daughter or we went to get a bite to eat with her, is there going to be issues because he wasnt sitting right by a phone. Just curious if anyone has a little more information on all of this...
Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM

Default Furlough Sponsor Info in FL

My daughters father is eligible for furloughs. I have filled out the paperwork, just waiting for approval. My question is to someone who knows how this works in Florida.

If we stayed in the general vicinity of where his work release is at, what are the guidelines. I mean if I rented a hotel room is he allowed to be out at the pool playing with his daughter during this time or does he have to remain in the hotel room. There is really no guidelines that I can find on what is acceptable and what isnt... Please help......
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,233 Times in 952 Posts

You will not be able to go to a park or public pool or restaurant If you get a hotel room he has to go to the room and stay there. They have to be able to reach him on a LANDLINE phone at all times to call and verify his location.

Furloughs aren't for wandering around town. You will be approved to take him to a very specific approved location - either a private home or hotel theyve approved and you have proof youve checked into - and he will have to go there and stay there till it is time to return. So will you, btw, as his sponsor As for being outside at the pool at the house... If no one hears the phone ring he's in big trouble.

ETA: also most centers limit furlough travel to one hour each direction. Which means your home is almost certainly out of the question.

Last edited by NAN425; 03-15-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Old 03-15-2012, 11:28 AM
PTO Research Assistant

Staff Superstar Award RA Training 

Donation Award 

Thanked 9,062 Times in 5,534 Posts

I'm not sure about what FL does, but I had to sign a paper acknowledging all of the restrictions I was required to follow before I could leave on the furlough. I'm sure they will spell them out for him, and if he isn't sure if something is allowed or not, he can ask whoever is handling his furlough. I can't imagine that he would be restricted to a hotel room, more like having to avoid places where liquor is served, etc. Good luck
Old 03-15-2012, 11:45 AM

Thank you for the information.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Waiting for Mike

Thanked 1,233 Times in 952 Posts

Furloughs in Florida are VERY strict. You can't just go anywhere that you want. You do actually have to go directly to and from the hotel (they have to approve the hotel in advance) and remain in the hotel room at all times. You have to check into the hotel before picking your loved one up for a furlough, and provide proof of your hotel registration before you can leave the facility together. You aren't even allowed to leave the hotel room to get food. BOTH of you have to remain there the whole time - you both have to be where they can reach you at the approved landline phone number that you provided the facility before leaving, since the furlough sponsor is responsible for the inmate during that time.

Furloughs are not just a situation where you are signing out of the facility and can go wherever you want as long as you are back at the specified time. You are actually being allowed to leave to go to one SPECIFIC pre-approved place and they will be calling that location's landline phone number randomly during your furlough to verify that you are where you are supposed to be.

The Following User Says Thank You to NAN425 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (03-15-2012)
Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 PM

how do you qualify to be a furlough sponsor?