Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legislation & Laws
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Legislation & Laws Discuss and learn about pending legislation or changes in laws that affect various prisons and institutions

Old 02-19-2010, 12:00 AM

Default Second Chance Act-get a full 12 months halfway house

Everyone listen--A new LAW has been passed entitling each inmate review for 12 months halfway house. Instead of special circumstances being needed for more than 30-60 days, it is now a law that special circumstances are required to NOT give 12 months. This is great progress, but if you don't push for it, you won't get it. The jails are still working off the old system, and will continue to do so if we don't push for our rights. To get considered for more than 30-60 days, you will need to submit a form and a writ to the court..Sounds difficult but it is not. I have the exact papers ANYONE can copy and fill in the proper name, case number, charge, and date of release..The rest is cookie cutter. If you need help, contact me at (email removed per policy. PM member) Its a simple process. I've done it for my husband and we've helped a fellow inmate that has no family on the outside. Its that easy. Be pro active and help get your family reunited faster. ....or you could just sit back and wait for the full sentence to be served..its up to you.

Last edited by PTO-97580; 02-22-2010 at 06:55 PM..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chrisandjen For This Useful Post:
6yearsncounting (02-26-2010), dukes_wife (04-08-2010), Faith=sanity (04-29-2010), Lordbew/us (06-01-2016), MissHimVeryMuch (03-15-2010), noboundries (04-03-2010), number one son (05-08-2010), sindy1200 (12-18-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 PM

Just wanted to add that yes each inmate is entitled to consideration for up to twelve months halfway house....However, the BOP still has discretion to not grant the additional time....

It really depends on the facility, the counselor, case manager and other factors...

I agree you should request it...we did....and he was not given any additional time......but it's all good...he'll be home in a few weeks....
Old 02-22-2010, 06:57 PM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

To be a little more specific, the additional HWH possibility in the 2nd Chance act only applies to Federal Inmates
Old 02-24-2010, 05:24 PM

I am brand new to this forum and not even sure how to use it. I have been researching the SCA for my son. Please tell me how to find the forms or what to do. He was a 19-yr-old first time, one and only offender. he and some friends from high school copied software and sold it. He got three years. He has done one year and understandsbecause of his history and background that he can be considered for additional halfway house time, but getting information on how to request it or the procedures to follow is very difficult. How do I contact you?
Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 PM
-----------------
Donation Award 

As previously mentioned, unless he is Federal, SCA wont affect him. If he is federal he has to start the HWH procedure with his team. If they deny him extra HWH then it would be up to him to file a writ which in all reality wont do much good because that procedure will more than likely take longer to complete than the balance of his sentence

Quote:
Originally Posted by trushing View Post
I am brand new to this forum and not even sure how to use it. I have been researching the SCA for my son. Please tell me how to find the forms or what to do. He was a 19-yr-old first time, one and only offender. he and some friends from high school copied software and sold it. He got three years. He has done one year and understandsbecause of his history and background that he can be considered for additional halfway house time, but getting information on how to request it or the procedures to follow is very difficult. How do I contact you?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:51 AM

Default Sca

Thank you for responding. He is federal. He has his year team meeting any day now but probably won't get much notice before the meeting so we are trying to be prepared.
We will try anything that allows him to be considered. Doing something and waiting is better than doing nothing at all and waiting.
Where do I find a "writ"? How does it get filled out, by him or by someone outside? Does it need to be an attorney? We have spent a fortune on attorneys and if it is something I can do without messing it up, I can sure try.
Again, thank you for responding. Hope to hear from you again.
I saw where your email was deleted by the post and I dont' want to do anything I'm not supposed to, but I woudl love to talk to you directly. Are we allowed to exchange any contact information on this site?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 PM
-----------------
Donation Award 

We would prefer that all info be placed on the boards so all members may benefit from it. Please go to the Federal forum here http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=649 and start a thread on this subject. The members there will be able to give you some direction.

BTW you cant file a writ for this before he is turned down.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 PM

Hello. I just found your message regarding the halfway house time. My husband is currently in Fort Dix and is in the process of trying to insure that he can get the max time for his HWH. Can you please help me to help him? Thank you!! Can I give you my email address?
Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 AM

I am very new to this forum and very very computer illiterate. I am trying to find any information on any kind of benefts for ex-offenders that they may get in either the State of Wisconsin or Virginia.

Last edited by msconnie; 03-13-2010 at 09:48 AM..
Old 03-18-2010, 11:52 PM

Default form

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandjen View Post
Everyone listen--A new LAW has been passed entitling each inmate review for 12 months halfway house. Instead of special circumstances being needed for more than 30-60 days, it is now a law that special circumstances are required to NOT give 12 months. This is great progress, but if you don't push for it, you won't get it. The jails are still working off the old system, and will continue to do so if we don't push for our rights. To get considered for more than 30-60 days, you will need to submit a form and a writ to the court..Sounds difficult but it is not. I have the exact papers ANYONE can copy and fill in the proper name, case number, charge, and date of release..The rest is cookie cutter. If you need help, contact me at (email removed per policy. PM member) Its a simple process. I've done it for my husband and we've helped a fellow inmate that has no family on the outside. Its that easy. Be pro active and help get your family reunited faster. ....or you could just sit back and wait for the full sentence to be served..its up to you.
will you please email me that form to ***removed per PTO policy, please PM member***

Last edited by PTO-79211; 03-22-2010 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Removed email address
Old 03-18-2010, 11:53 PM

that any one have that form will you please send to me at (E-mial address removed as per PTO Policy - Please PM member for that info)

Last edited by Keltria; 03-22-2010 at 02:38 PM..
Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Smile Obtaining Forms

How does one get the necessary forms. Thank You.
Sprocket
Old 03-22-2010, 03:44 PM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Ther are no forms!!!! All Federal HWH time must be initiated by the inmates team.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:54 PM
I luv my brother

what is a half way house?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:38 PM

Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd3223 View Post
what is a half way house?
a half way house is house where people that are on parole can live. There are curfews and stuff....and usually help transitioning back into society.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM

Default second chance

my brother is in prison and I would like more info. on how to go about this. You stated in your email to email you for a template, however your email was removed. Is there any website where I can get more information?

Thanks!!

Quote:
Old 04-09-2010, 03:03 PM

Default incorrect application of policy

The only "law" that was passed, was that as part of the second chance act, each inmate was now entitled to 12 month review in an RRC. This did not mean that they got it, and in 99.9% of all cases did not. You facts are also wrong on the 30-60 day rule as there is no such thing. Primarily it was based on the amount of time an inmate did, with most people over 6 years, receiving 6 months as a general rule, although if someone had a home and money and family, he was apt to get less.

As someone who actually WON my case in federal court in relation to additional RRC placement, I know what I am talking about. The BOP is still only giving more than 6 IF a court basically tells them to, which no cookie cutter type form is going to solve. You would have to file through the entire BP process and then file a 2241 petition in federal court. Even then, a judge will not ORDER the BOP to do anything, but can strongly suggest. I was initially awarded 6 months, and ultimately received about 11.

If you want to help someone, tell them to be heavily involved in programming and look up the section of second chance that deals with that - which is different than the part about 12 month RRC placement based on need. Any questions, email me.
The Following User Says Thank You to lfhllc For This Useful Post:
PTO-97580 (04-23-2010)
Old 04-12-2010, 12:57 PM

Their are no forms that we can fill out. The inmate and his team needs to do it. we even had his federal judge write a letter and request that he receive 8 months halfway house time. NOT A JUDICIAL ORDER it was just a letter after sentencing. He did receive five months but not the eight.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:02 PM
LADY 1977

Default Second chance

Is this every state? If so, how can i get the paperwork since your email has been removed?
Quote:
everyone listen--a new law has been passed entitling each inmate review for 12 months halfway house. Instead of special circumstances being needed for more than 30-60 days, it is now a law that special circumstances are required to not give 12 months. This is great progress, but if you don't push for it, you won't get it. The jails are still working off the old system, and will continue to do so if we don't push for our rights. To get considered for more than 30-60 days, you will need to submit a form and a writ to the court..sounds difficult but it is not. I have the exact papers anyone can copy and fill in the proper name, case number, charge, and date of release..the rest is cookie cutter. If you need help, contact me at (email removed per policy. Pm member) its a simple process. I've done it for my husband and we've helped a fellow inmate that has no family on the outside. Its that easy. Be pro active and help get your family reunited faster. ....or you could just sit back and wait for the full sentence to be served..its up to you.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:02 PM

Default Help!

Quote:
Will this help anyone? Exactly, what is this for?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:34 AM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Please read the quoted post below. It is probably the most accurate description of the SCA posted in this thread. The information in the OP may be a little misleading (unintentionally). This Law only applies to Federal inmates and there are no standard forms for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhllc View Post
The only "law" that was passed, was that as part of the second chance act, each inmate was now entitled to 12 month review in an RRC. This did not mean that they got it, and in 99.9% of all cases did not. You facts are also wrong on the 30-60 day rule as there is no such thing. Primarily it was based on the amount of time an inmate did, with most people over 6 years, receiving 6 months as a general rule, although if someone had a home and money and family, he was apt to get less.

As someone who actually WON my case in federal court in relation to additional RRC placement, I know what I am talking about. The BOP is still only giving more than 6 IF a court basically tells them to, which no cookie cutter type form is going to solve. You would have to file through the entire BP process and then file a 2241 petition in federal court. Even then, a judge will not ORDER the BOP to do anything, but can strongly suggest. I was initially awarded 6 months, and ultimately received about 11.

If you want to help someone, tell them to be heavily involved in programming and look up the section of second chance that deals with that - which is different than the part about 12 month RRC placement based on need. Any questions, email me.

Last edited by PTO-97580; 04-23-2010 at 07:36 AM..
Old 04-27-2010, 07:27 AM

I found that there are people/organizations out there that offer inmate advocacy services (not free of charge) in ways such as obtaining maximum Community Corrections Center eligibilty pursuant to the Second Chance Act of 2007 and formal submission of BOP Administrative Remedy Forms BP-9, BP-10, etc.

What are your thoughts on giving money for this type of service? Anyone have any personal experience with hiring a consultant for assistance in this process?

I realize that getting longer than the typical 6-month stay in community corrections is hard to come by. But if there is a way to increase the chances, he/we are definitely willing to give it a shot!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 AM

thanks for the info, i just had a question. i just got arrested a couple of months ago. federal wire fraud case. i am looking at 15-27 months, i will try to get the rdap, but i wonder how does the 2nd chance act help me? pm me if you want.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Default Second chance paperwork

Quote:
everyone listen--a new law has been passed entitling each inmate review for 12 months halfway house. Instead of special circumstances being needed for more than 30-60 days, it is now a law that special circumstances are required to not give 12 months. This is great progress, but if you don't push for it, you won't get it. The jails are still working off the old system, and will continue to do so if we don't push for our rights. To get considered for more than 30-60 days, you will need to submit a form and a writ to the court..sounds difficult but it is not. I have the exact papers anyone can copy and fill in the proper name, case number, charge, and date of release..the rest is cookie cutter. If you need help, contact me at (email removed per policy. Pm member) its a simple process. I've done it for my husband and we've helped a fellow inmate that has no family on the outside. Its that easy. Be pro active and help get your family reunited faster. ....or you could just sit back and wait for the full sentence to be served..its up to you.
could you please send me a copy of the second chance law paperwork please email it to (email removed per policy; please pm member) maybe with this i can get my wife back home with her children and her husband thank you john1275

Last edited by patchouli; 06-13-2010 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: removed email addy
Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 PM
FOREVER

Smile second chance law

I would also like a copy of that paperwork please and thank you
(email removed per PTO policy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN1275 View Post
could you please send me a copy of the second chance law paperwork please email it to (removed per PTO policy) maybe with this i can get my wife back home with her children and her husband thank you john1275

Last edited by patchouli; 06-13-2010 at 10:13 PM.. Reason: removed email addy