Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 PM

Default Absconding from justice, What will happen if i come back?

I was convicted of dui 2nd offense and sentenced to 4 mos in az. I refused to go to that tent city and left the country. I would like to come back and try and rebuild a life. what will happen to me....My plan is i wont comeback to az. I would like to comeback to say colorado.

1) when i fly into the country do you think they would detain me at customs on a misdemeanor warrant from az?

2) if i made it to colorado could i work a deal there or atleast do the time there without worrying about being extradited back to az?

your thoughts greatly appreciate

Sawadee Krop from Bangkok !
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Donation Award 

You need advice from an attorney. WTF! Four months is nothing! There are thousands of us who wish all our loved ones would have got was a four month sentence.

Two DUI's and still have not got a clue, there is no excuse for Drunk Driving and then you take off because you cannot stand to face the music! Just be glad you did not cause an accident and hurt somebody while you were driving under the influence, you were really lucky and do not even know it or you do not care.

Your choices so far have not been your best ones. Please get advice, if you do not I am afraid you will really not like the outcome, and you are making yourself a rough road to travel.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greyhorse For This Useful Post:
kuRa (04-06-2010), Paorsetti (07-20-2010)
Old 02-13-2010, 04:42 PM
Banned

Tent city isn't all that bad. You can get work release too. Although probably not now.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Here to help.

4 Months? I could sleep for 4 months. Just go and get it over with. That's nothing. I did 4 months in county before I went to prison to do another 20 months.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottx For This Useful Post:
abigail05 (02-14-2010)
Old 02-16-2010, 11:26 PM

I don't know about what will happen when you fly into the U.S., whether to PHX or a different airport. The question is whether the four months has escalated to more potential time, including a sentence to state prison because of flight and/or breach. You might want to check with a lawyer.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

From stuff I have read on the internet, if they charge you with escape Ryuki is right. It is often at least a year and almost always tacked on to the other sentence. In other words it might be 4 months then the year. The good news, based on your post is that you won't be in a tent camp. It will be a cell. The bad news is they don't offer much chance of letting you try another escape. For instance from what I've read it means in cell 23 hours a day and anytime out requires full restraints on handcuffs and leg irons for the feet.

You definitely need to talk to a lawyer. If you look yourself up you may be able to se if they charged you with escape. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:40 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,088 Posts

Sawadee,

I do not know how deep your attachments to the US are, or if -where you are - would extradite if asked to send you back on something such as this, I doubt that the states would even put in the effort to get you back - however you never know.

As was said above you will be facing much more serious charges now, resulting in much more time.

It would have behooved you to have done the time and got it over with, four months is not long though I imagine it seemed to be to you at the time you decided to leave.

Now that you have done what you did - well if I was in your position I would probably remain where I was.

I was born in Germany and am a naturalized US citizen. If I had thought that I could have remained safe and secure from US authorities in Germany, I would have done the same as you, though I was facing much, much longer. I had very few connections left in the states, all but one of my children had left the US and two of them felt so strongly about my conviction they renounced their US citizenship.

Only because my life partner is American born and my parents were here and I felt too old to move back to Germany and start over for the third time did I stay and face the music. Hardest thing I have ever done, but in the long run I am glad I did.

Your call, but I imagine you are facing much more time now - you should be forewarned and ready to accept the consequences of your actions if you should return.

Patti

Last edited by FriscoLady; 02-17-2010 at 07:55 PM..
Old 02-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,437 Times in 800 Posts

I think you should come back and face whatever penalty you have to deal with. If you get a good lawyer there should be a way this can be worked out so that it's not as bad as you think it is going to be, but you need a good criminal lawyer, which there are many in Phoenix. Tent city or no tent city you'll never live in peace with this hanging over your head. In fact, I think you'll feel much better about yourself if you make amends for what you did and start fresh after paying your debt to society. I wish you luck however running is not the answer, especially long-term.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Headed to prosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by speicher View Post
I was convicted of dui 2nd offense and sentenced to 4 mos in az. I refused to go to that tent city and left the country. I would like to come back and try and rebuild a life. what will happen to me....My plan is i wont comeback to az. I would like to comeback to say colorado.

1) when i fly into the country do you think they would detain me at customs on a misdemeanor warrant from az?

NCIC likely will not find you if it is a misdemeanor.

2) if i made it to colorado could i work a deal there or atleast do the time there without worrying about being extradited back to az?

Not likely.. But self surrendering would go a long ways in AZ to keep you from getting much extra time.. 4 months is nothing.. Just get it done and get on with your life... Running after sentencing may and getting caught is going to get you some extra time.. Surrendering with conditions of no extra time would be the best for you... you might get a a little extra time but believe me time goes very fast.. Just do your own program and then Get On with your life.

Be strong and just get it done... Believe me. You can do time anywhere.. tents, boxes, it is just time.. It is better than running. You then have the rest of your life.. Please learn to live with out booze if it causes you to be stupid. That drug is one of the worst.

Good luck.. If I can help further let me know. Bt remember that TENT City is more hype than anything.. Time is time and surrender so you do the time between Dec -May during the cooler weather. Get books and read your ass off.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 AM

Default Sure do it, and see 4 months turn into 4 years.

yes, you're scared. but 4 months is nothing compared to what you'll face for fleeing. they will catch you ,eventually, and you'll wish like hell you had served your 4 months after they tack on the additional charges and time. don't be stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampworm View Post
Be strong and just get it done... Believe me. You can do time anywhere.. tents, boxes, it is just time.. It is better than running. You then have the rest of your life.. Please learn to live with out booze if it causes you to be stupid. That drug is one of the worst.

Good luck.. If I can help further let me know. Bt remember that TENT City is more hype than anything.. Time is time and surrender so you do the time between Dec -May during the cooler weather. Get books and read your ass off.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:24 AM
dazed and confused

Why would you run and not serve the 4 months? You did the crime so now do the time.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:30 PM

I knew a guy who was looking at felony hit and run and felony dui and left the country. He came back a year later and was picked up right and the airport and taken to county jail. However, he was out after 30 days. I don't think you would get house arrest or work release since you took off once already. What you did is wrong but what's done is done..How are you getting by in Thailand? Maybe you can manage there for a few more years? I would try to find a way to make money off of English speaking tourists or something. Hell, I just might go to Thailand myself and Im not even on the run.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:17 AM

you left the country because you had to do 4 months, im sorry but that is the dumbest thing anyone can do.. man up do your time, now its probably doubled if not more ,, goodluck selling necklaces on the beach
Old 04-06-2010, 09:14 PM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by speicher View Post

(1) I think it will show up on the Customs computer, but they won't detain you for a misdemeanor warrant. (But they will tell you all about it, and then flag your record in case you use your passport again.)

(2) If you are arrested in Colorado, you will not be extradited for a misdemeanor warrant from another state. However, since you failed to report to jail, you might have picked up a felony charge (absconding from justice, escape, etc.). I am not familiar enough with Arizona law to be able to tell you. You probably will be extradited for a felony if you are picked up in Colorado or another state.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:18 AM

Default Additional Information about Arizona

I need to supplement my previous post with the following information. I have been told that Arizona almost always extradites, even on a misdemeanor warrant. Also, there could be a federal warrant out for you for unlawful flight. If that is the case, then you will be detained at the airport.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:50 AM

Not sure if this thread is still active but I'd just like to point out for relative information that it is extremely difficult for the United States authorities to apprehend someone in Thailand. I lived in Phuket a couple months and I met quite a few Americans who have established that as their homes, they were on the run from charges in the US.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flau For This Useful Post:
FriscoLady (07-17-2010), jch1968 (07-16-2010), MrsCetina (03-05-2011)
Old 07-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flau View Post
Not sure if this thread is still active but I'd just like to point out for relative information that it is extremely difficult for the United States authorities to apprehend someone in Thailand. I lived in Phuket a couple months and I met quite a few Americans who have established that as their homes, they were on the run from charges in the US.
Flau, I responded to this thread when he first asked the question, I remember thinking then that he should just stay there and rebuild his life.

He would have a better chance of living a life without the stigma imposed on convicted felon's in this country especially. Which as you know closes off many roads in one's life in this country.

Admittedly I do not know what his options and opportunities will be there, but those that I know that have gone back to my native Germany and Europe after being convicted of a crime in this country are living far better than most that remained here. Maybe I should go home. I personally know only one individual that was able to successfully fight extridation back to the U.S. and she can never leave her home country to even travel to other European nations.

I also hope that he stayed there for a more selfish reason.

Ever since I became involved in the Legal System and Law Enforcement in this country I have been absolutely amazed at the gross arrogance of the InJustice systems of the various states and the Feds. And the arrogance of the LEOs, Judges, Prosecutors, and politicians - they are the true criminals IMO.

So you know whenever I see someone or hear of someone that has thumbed their nose at the U.S. legal system or down right beaten it - well let's just say I smile.

So I hope that he is where ever building a quiet life and never comes back or is caught.

After what the filth in the supposed Justice system of Virginia did to my niece, I wish I could have gotten her out of this country and well hidden.

Sorry I did not mean to let my bitterness show, I guess you can tell I despise the legal systems here.

Patti

Last edited by FriscoLady; 07-17-2010 at 09:36 AM..
Old 07-17-2010, 04:47 PM

I have the same exact feelings as you do towards this countries legal system. I have seen nothing but failure over and over again.

Fortunately for me and my situation, leaving the country and never coming back is a plausible option for me as much of my family live abroad and I would be able to have a fresh start. I truly believe that prison is more of a money making scheme then it is to rehabilitate or punish criminals, and that opinion has come from me only living here for 6 months. Although I am a United States citizen as I was born here, I've spent much if not all of my youth abroad.

I know what the stereotype about Thailand is and how bad the conditions are over there but my point of the previous post was to say that it really isn't. People live like royalty over there, and there are plenty of opportunities to create a new life. Much of my time abroad was spent in the Pan-Pacific such as Singapore and Hong Kong, and there seems to be a misrepresentation of how the conditions are over there which simply are not true. And if someone wanted to leave America and try and start new again, the opportunity is there without a doubt.

This country has failed its citizens in so many ways that I can't even begin to list it. The judicial system is just another one of those ways. It's a big game. For those who don't have money to hire a lawyer, they end up having to go to prison, and some times those prisons have this ridiculous Pay-to-Stay program which I honestly laughed at the first time I heard it. For those that do hire a lawyer, the lawyer can fail them and just say "It's the best deal you'll get" and then pocket your thousands of dollars as you go off to prison. The statue in front of the courthouse is supposed to show that the judicial system is blind, that the accused is innocent until proven guilty. You and I both know this is a load of bullshit, the attitudes towards the defendant are always the same no matter what.

My passion against the justice system can really just be summed up as such, I could get on a plane and never turn around and the last thing the police officer, the district attorney, or the judge would see is my middle finger. I would love to see them try to get me where I would go if I left.

Last edited by flau; 07-17-2010 at 04:53 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flau For This Useful Post:
FriscoLady (07-17-2010), MrsCetina (08-15-2010)
Old 07-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

I sometimes wonder if the U.S Government, et al misrepresents other places in the world in order to discourage people leaving here.

Those that have not been out of this country truly do not know how wonderful some areas of the world are. And in some places the opportunities are like they were in the U.S. long ago.

I laugh when I hear my parents say that the U.S. now reminds them of Germany under the Third Reich.

But then I cry, and the reason for my tears is that when they first talking to my sisters and I about coming here, they would say how wonderful and free the United States was. In 1964 they were right they are also right now.

I am grateful that two of my four children are out of this country - one in Germany and one in Israel they will have the opportunities that we no longer have. I just wish my youngest would leave but like my sister and I she stays for our parents.

My sister and I have discussed leaving after our parents time has come and.......I am really not ready to talk of that yet.

Patti

Last edited by FriscoLady; 07-17-2010 at 05:30 PM..
Old 07-20-2010, 12:37 PM

I think there are long term issues with running away to Thailand while having unresolved legal issues in the US:

1. He may run into visa problems (very soon). Does he think he can get a work visa (this is not so easy because he has to get a job first, and that is not so easy for a foreigner in Thailand who does not know the language)? Does he think he will be able to constantly renew his tourist visa every three months? This would require leaving the country every three months. What if the visa rules change (as they often do) so as to make it more difficult for foreigners to stay legally? He may not be able to get a visa at all (some have left Thailand because of this.).

2. What happens when he needs to renew his passport? He will have to get it from the US embassy. His passport renewal may be denied because of his legal problems. He could even be taken into custody at the embassy. Even if his legal problems are not in the system now, they may be in the future as the system advances and becomes more interconnected.

3. What kind of job can he get in Thailand? I think that it is possible to teach English for $1000.00 per month if he has a college degree and can get a teaching certificate. Even though it is possible to live ok in Thailand with this income (if he lives Thai style), it will be difficult to build a future, start a family, build security, etc.

Some are forced into risky and illegal activities to survive. Thailand has little (if any) welfare system and is brutally unforgiving to those without money. Foreigners who wish to stay in Thailand sometimes resort to working for boiler rooms, human trafficking, selling drugs, and trying to con their fellow foreigners, etc. I am not so sure Thai prison is so nice.

Thais greatly prefer to hire Thai people over foreigners and the pay is awful. For example, a construction job in Thailand might pay $6.00 per day.

Question: You want to know how to make small fortune in Thailand?
Answer: Start with a large one.

4. Thailand has some political instability problems that could get worse. It is not clear what this will mean for foreigners. They may not be able to get visas (the visa rules may tighten). They may have to leave the country because it might not be safe for them.

Thailand has changed governments four times since 2006. Even now, it is considered to be in a state of emergency because of the fall out from the riots in May. There has been a regime change in Thailand on an average of every four years since 1932.

5. He may not want to stay in the US, but Thailand is not his country. A foreigner may not own land in Thailand. He does not enjoy the same rights as Thai citizens and will always be a second class citizen there.

6. What happens when he develops medical problems? Does he want to be treated in Thailand? Does he want surgery in Thailand? Does he think the level of medical skill is anywhere near as good as it is in the US? I don't.

I am certainly not giving any advice. I want to point out some of the possible issues staying there long term while having unresolved legal issues in the US.

The original poster has probably made his decision long ago. I am posting my opinions in case others have to make this decision in the future.

I understand all too well that some people may think four months in prison is not very long, especially if they have spent many years in prison. At the same time, I know that different people handle prison differently. It can be a lot worse for some than others. Some beg for mercy after even one night and it can be a total chamber of horrors for them.

-c
The Following User Says Thank You to craig_hope For This Useful Post:
FriscoLady (07-20-2010)
Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Craig,

You bring to the fore allot of good points.

I find it interesting that he only posted once, I also noted his name. He may be Thai by blood but that is neither here nor there.

I for one could not live in the conditions you described in Thailand. However, if I knew prior to my incarceration what I know now, I would have ran straight for Germany and requested asylum. My Uncle who was in the government at that time thought we could have done it.

As it was I stayed, 14 years after my crime and 8 years after my release with all that was in between - to this day I am not sure I made the right decision.

The only thing my sister and I regret is not getting her daughter out, she is doing life w/o for a questionable conviction. I will not say crime because she does not own it.

Patti

Last edited by FriscoLady; 07-20-2010 at 07:40 PM..
Old 08-13-2010, 04:10 AM

Another thing I would be concerned about is being deported once you come back and do your time.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:16 PM

He can't be deported if he is a citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi View Post
Another thing I would be concerned about is being deported once you come back and do your time.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Lawyer View Post
He can't be deported if he is a citizen
I am proof of that.

Though I am curious Colorado, my attorney told me at the time there were certain crimes that even as a Naturalized Citizen I could be deported.

Is that true?

I imagine that they would have to be fairly serious and far above what this kid or I did.

Patti

PS: Can you tell I did not really have that much confidence in that particular Attorney?

Last edited by FriscoLady; 08-15-2010 at 09:38 AM..