Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Legal Help
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California Legal Help Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Legal Information specific to the State of California. This information is *NOT PROFESSIONAL* and should always be fact-checked!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:14 PM

Default Inmate hurt in Jail.. who can we contact for help?

We need some help.. My baby hurt his back in September while in Jail.. He moved wrong and now his back and legs are numb.. He has a hard time walking and has asked that they do a MRI or an X-ray to find out what he has done. They are refusing to do anything other than give him Ibuprofen. The doctor states that he thinks that if they did any tests they may find that he has a degenerative back disease. We are trying to find someone that can help us fight the jail for the medical treatment that he should receive. I have talked to the ACLU and they gave me one number but since he did not hurt himself due to something the jail caused they will not help us. He can not be the first person this has happened to.. I am hoping that someone here can tell me where to look for help.. We live in Northern California and I have not worked for a year.. I need someone that is willing to take payments or if we go after the Jail for a settlement is willing to take the case on a contingency.
Any advice would be appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2010, 07:38 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Thanked 2,163 Times in 860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca1 View Post
We need some help.. My baby hurt his back in September while in Jail.. He moved wrong and now his back and legs are numb.. He has a hard time walking and has asked that they do a MRI or an X-ray to find out what he has done. They are refusing to do anything other than give him Ibuprofen. The doctor states that he thinks that if they did any tests they may find that he has a degenerative back disease. We are trying to find someone that can help us fight the jail for the medical treatment that he should receive. I have talked to the ACLU and they gave me one number but since he did not hurt himself due to something the jail caused they will not help us. He can not be the first person this has happened to.. I am hoping that someone here can tell me where to look for help.. We live in Northern California and I have not worked for a year.. I need someone that is willing to take payments or if we go after the Jail for a settlement is willing to take the case on a contingency.
I don't know if this will help you since he is in jail and not prison, but something similar happened to my son. Less than 30 days after he was put in prison he was assaulted suffering a blowout skull fracture and damage to the nerves in his back. They put a butterfly bandage near his eye where it was bleeding and sent him back to his cell. No x-rays were taken for 2 months and no MRI's for 2 years. He now has permanent disabilities. He sees double in one eye and has lost about 75% use of his leg.

We have been trying to find an attorney for years - but no one wants to take on the State. I'm afraid you are going to find that you are in the same situation.

Luckily, I kicked up such a big fuss with CDCR and the Receiver, my son is finally getting the medical care he needs.

I wish you the best.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:56 PM

Thank you Madhatter unfortunatly that is what I am finding. Everyone keeps saying they can't help us but no one will tell us who can.. If you hear of someone please let me know! Our best hope is that when he is finaly sent to prison that he will be sent as disabled and the prison will run a MRI.. At this time we are worried that too much damage has been done and he will never be right again.. He says everytime he moves his back he can hear the bones grinding.. Good luck to you.. If I hear of someone I will try to let you know.. We can not be the only famlies this has happened to!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,122 Posts

Quote:
It's going to be very difficult to sue the jail for this. I am assuming he is still in jail? If so, you might call his attorney/public defender and see if they will go to the judge and get a court order to take him to an outside doctor for a consultation and see if they can treat the problem. My cousin was in jail and had a long term back problem, they wouldn't give him pain meds or treat him for it so his mom got the judge to order that they take him to an outside hospital for treatment.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sleepy For This Useful Post:
lostinca1 (02-11-2010)
Old 02-11-2010, 04:09 PM

Thank you 2sleepy, We have contacted the PD and he is trying to find out what can be done.. He has contacted the jail for a copy of his medical records but we dont go back before the judge until the end of Feb.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you 2sleepy, We have contacted the PD and he is trying to find out what can be done.. He has contacted the jail for a copy of his medical records but we dont go back before the judge until the end of Feb.
push the public defender, he doesn't have to wait for the next court appearance, he can get that matter heard sooner than that. Just tell the PD that you are worried that without diagnosis and treatment he might be permanently paralyzed by then. It would take 10 minutes for the public defender to get the judge to order the jail to take him to a doctor.
lostinca1 (02-12-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 AM

Thanked 1,351 Times in 779 Posts

Madhatter who is the Receiver and how does one file a complaint?
The Following User Says Thank You to MIKAER For This Useful Post:
lostinca1 (02-25-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKAER View Post
Madhatter who is the Receiver and how does one file a complaint?
J. Clark Kelso, Receiver
California Prison Health Care Receivership Corporation
501 J Street, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 323-1221 • Fax (916) 323-1257
(916) 324-1403 •www.cprinc.org

CDCR Mental Health (the bigwigs)
Dr. Marion Chiurazzi (916) 928-4752 Marion.Chiurazzi@cdcr.ca.gov
Deputy Director Mental Health

Dr. Karen Higgins (916) 324-9452 Karen.Higgins@cdcr.ca.gov
Deputy Director – over psychiatrists

I emailed the mental health people on Sunday regarding an interview my son was scheduled for at 9 am Monday morning that I objected to and according to my son's clinician - her inbox was humming with emails from these people.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:14 PM

I think she said he's in jail, I don't think the healthcare receiver's jurisdiction covers county jails
lostinca1 (02-25-2010)
Old 02-24-2010, 06:08 PM
THE DRAGON LADY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I think she said he's in jail, I don't think the healthcare receiver's jurisdiction covers county jails
I think Mikaer wants it for a totally different reason which is why I put it in here.

The Receiver DOES NOT have any authority over city or county jails so you are correct.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:19 PM

Go to the newspapers and television stations....tell the story to anyone who will listen. Contact the county jail and tell them you want him taken care of or you will sue them and the state. You have to make a fuss and you have to bring public attention to the situation. There have been too many inmate deaths in prison and in county jails. Start with contacting your local newspaper to see if they will run a story then contact the news media and ask if they will run a story...be melodramatic, put him near death and no one is helping. Let it be known that if anything happens to him you will be suing someone.... this should start the ball rolling....As far as the ACLU there is a national office, I would try to contact them as well, they will have you to submit a request in writing, but you need to do it. Call the county jail and continually ask them if he has received any treatment.... Make yourself a nuisance....Unfortunately, we have to force and blackmail people to do their jobs when it comes to the DOC. Good Luck, now start putting up a stink....You have to fight for him because the DOC doesn't care.
The Following User Says Thank You to cevaatchee For This Useful Post:
lostinca1 (02-25-2010)
Old 02-25-2010, 06:17 PM

Thanks for all the comments. Yes he is in jail right now so the Receiver would not be able to help at this time. His PD has received his medical file and is having it looked at. The PD also said that he has been told to "butt out" in these matters.. I guess even though he would love to help his hands are tied by who he works for :{ HE is trying to be classifed as disabled at this time so that if he does end up in prison he will be able to get more help. I have contacted the ACLU and they advised that he needed to call them even though I have an unlimited power of attorney.. He is not able to call them from the jail he is in. They have a block on that number for some reason. I am still looking for an attorney that will take on the county but everyone is scared for some reason.. I would think with all the high profile cases they are dealing with right now someone would be willing to take them on but this is not the case.. It has been long enough now that I fear all the damage done is permenant. If we are ever able to find someone I would think this would be an easy case..
Old 02-26-2010, 07:52 AM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,383 Times in 10,165 Posts

I know this sounds stupid, but what if he wrote them??
(I find it odd the number is blocked as well....more than odd actually)

There is a nap for that

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
lostinca1 (02-28-2010)
Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 AM
THE DRAGON LADY

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments. Yes he is in jail right now so the Receiver would not be able to help at this time. His PD has received his medical file and is having it looked at. The PD also said that he has been told to "butt out" in these matters.. I guess even though he would love to help his hands are tied by who he works for :{ HE is trying to be classifed as disabled at this time so that if he does end up in prison he will be able to get more help. I have contacted the ACLU and they advised that he needed to call them even though I have an unlimited power of attorney.. He is not able to call them from the jail he is in. They have a block on that number for some reason. I am still looking for an attorney that will take on the county but everyone is scared for some reason.. I would think with all the high profile cases they are dealing with right now someone would be willing to take them on but this is not the case.. It has been long enough now that I fear all the damage done is permenant. If we are ever able to find someone I would think this would be an easy case..
Just a thought, but have you tried writing to the LA County Supervisors? You could mention the fact that it would be much cheaper to take of this problem now, rather than risk another law suit.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:06 PM

Thanked 1,351 Times in 779 Posts

Disability Rights Ca google their contact #
The Following User Says Thank You to MIKAER For This Useful Post:
lostinca1 (02-28-2010)
Old 02-26-2010, 09:21 PM

In NC the local news station has a "Five on Your Side". Where you can contact them about issues you can't get resolved and they will try to resolve it for you. On the ACLU website they have a form you can fill out for complaints and requests; print that form - either fill it out yourself and send it on behalf of your son or send it to him and have him fill it out and mail it. It may be better if you do it since they have a block against ACLU, that really is a bad sign. I would mention that to whoever listens as well. Just keep trying and don't give up. If you need more voices to help you we're all here to support you.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:57 PM

thanks you guys for all the ideas.. He is in El Dorado county and I will have to write a letter for him. send it to him and then he will send it to them. he does not feel comfortable writing people. He does not think he can get his point across on paper. I have thought about going to the news and after 2 days of cancelled visiting with no reason why there are a lot of other people thinking about going to the news also.. this would be just another part of the story. I am just worried about the ramifications if we go public with this.