Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

Default Why do prisoners need money?

Everything essential will be supplied won't it?
The only things i can think of them spending extra money on would be too much chocolate and getting fat, or drugs!
and obviously a small amount for paper +stamps.
How would prisoners really benefit from extra money?
What are the possibilites for luxaries if a prisoner has any amount of money?
Would it be a worry they'd spend it mostly on junk food or drugs?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia_girl View Post
The only things i can think of them spending extra money on would be too much chocolate and getting fat, or drugs!

My experience from being behind the walls is that an inmate can get by without spending money from the outside, but if a man is down for a long bit, money will help.

Prisons do not allow inmates to shop regular stores for property, they only allow 'clear' electronics that can only be purchased through law-enforcement owned outlets. The prices of these items are four to ten times higher than Walmart.

Television, alarm clock, radio, electric razor and beard trimmer are the electronics. Many prisons will allow an inmate to have a hobby. Prisons do not give inmates materials for hobbies.

Some inmates may wish to purchase books and correspondence courses that are not available through the prison. Phone time must be purchased. Envelopes, paper and stamps must be purchased.

Then there is canteen. Snack food and raman noodles are available if you have spending money.

Many prisons offer paid jobs, starting at about twenty-five cents an hour, but inmates cannot secure one of these jobs until he has been incarcerated for a while.

Does an inmate need money? No. Does it make life easier and more bearable? Yes.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to crow57 For This Useful Post:
AngelsWings (02-08-2010), catwoman1314 (02-06-2010), cazann23 (02-05-2010), Hisoneandonly (02-05-2010), irshnrse (02-07-2010), mary77 (03-28-2010), maytayah (12-26-2013), MsRose_Iam (12-04-2013), sweetnessva (02-04-2010), Tardisgirl (02-04-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM
waiting for daddy

Quote:
Just depends on your boyfriend. Mine uses money for stamps, food, and phones. If he gets a long time he will probably use it on tvs, clothes, shoes, and other things he wants. But i know he wouldnt be using it on drugs. So i just try to make him as comfortable as possible while he is in there.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:48 PM
He's finally Home!!!!!!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Thanked 5,477 Times in 3,266 Posts

Yes, thier basic essentials are provided, and that means very basic. Toothbursh, toothpaste, comb, toilet paper, small bar of soap (the size that usually we throw away since it is too small to even use), razor. That's about it. There are many other essentials that they need that arn't provided. Lotions, shampoo, deodorant, etc.What they are provided is cheapest of the cheap. The food they are served can't usually be identified as food. Lot's of inmates don't even go to the chow hall for meals so they eat solely by what they buy from "canteen" or by what they get from packages. Also if they do go to eat at the chow hall it isn't enough to fill them up.
Not every person in prison does drugs, that's a very generalized assumption that it will be spent on drugs.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to light at end For This Useful Post:
Britrdazahead13 (02-05-2010), candy (12-29-2013), catwoman1314 (02-06-2010), charlotte98 (02-05-2010), crazycasey183 (02-04-2010), Curegirl80 (02-05-2010), esteli (02-04-2010), Hisoneandonly (02-05-2010), HisRib31 (12-12-2013), irshnrse (02-07-2010), jenn85345 (02-05-2010), JKB's Girl (02-04-2010), kiddsgirl4life (02-04-2010), l'swifey (02-05-2010), MsRose_Iam (12-04-2013), noboundries (02-07-2010), patchouli (02-05-2010), thugwife (02-05-2010), tsbaby5109 (02-05-2010), Wobabi (02-04-2010), ~Shadowfax~ (02-04-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Formerly Mike'sbabyboy

Thanked 1,151 Times in 619 Posts

Yes!!!! They use the money for envelopes and stamps, books, pictures. They also can buy canteen...food items. And the "essential" things the prisons provide are not of the best quality. I have always, and always will, keep money in my man's account. Also, it is good to have some food items in the event that that prison serves something that the inmate may not want. I have said this before... They call Mike Mr. Trump because he always has what he wants. And it doesn't take alot of money. This is Mike's 4th prison bid. When he first goes in, I put $100 so he can get all his needs. Then I send him, on average, $30.00 each week. I have read on PtO where women send their men like $100. a week. I asked Mike about it and he said that he doesn't see why. He said that although that amount each week is nice, what could he possibly need that much for? Mike says they probably need that much so they can write their other girls. Or put it on their phone account to call other people. I told him to "shut up." He just laughed and said that it aint us going through that BS. Mike does not even call me everyday. He calls every other day. And only stays on the phone for the one call. He says "we aint giving all our money to the prisons like that." Oh yeah, and Mike always has a check from the prison for unused money in his account. And it's a pretty decent check beings that he only got $30.00 a week. I am so lucky to have a man like Mike. And to think that everyone thought that he was going to hurt me some how. Not all thugs are bad.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NewAttitude For This Useful Post:
charlotte98 (02-05-2010), gaia_girl (02-04-2010), Hisoneandonly (02-05-2010), OneOfMany (02-07-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 01:14 PM
My baby is home !!

Thanked 1,161 Times in 998 Posts

The prisons don't feed them enough, my old man buys lots and lots of noodles...& some snacks and cig's.....

He's Home as of 7/17/2010
Old 02-04-2010, 01:29 PM
His wifey

They do provide their basic needs but that is really slack. I send my hubby money every wk to buy whatever he may need. everything is usually more expensive in there than out here. mine buys snacks, envelopes and stamps and whatever else he may need while in there. I always, always keep money on my hubbys account.....he buys books and stuff to shave with too.

The Following User Says Thank You to kellya5107 For This Useful Post:
NewAttitude (02-05-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,841 Times in 4,101 Posts

,,Well lets see there is restitution-the feds certainly aint payin that for you and if you dont pay you cant even spend the money you get.
Do you have a head ache or a cough? Well that will cost
,,And for sure the Feds dont put money on your pre-paid phone account so if you want to talk to anyone you better have money.

Now if you are only talking EXTRA money then sure he will buy a candy bar and chips (If thats FAT on his hard muscled body then give me some of those bars)
He will order magazines and such but as far as him being kicked back in the lap of luxury in his private one man cell with a TV and fluffy comforters on a pillow top mattress smokin a spliff-aint happening in the feds

Last edited by Wobabi; 02-04-2010 at 02:16 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Always & Forever<33

Thanked 1,102 Times in 422 Posts

I dont think thats it the fact of providing the stuff needed, i think its more of a comfort thing. I like to send my man a few dollars so he can buy envelopes, paper, stamps, soap, shampoo, ect. They do provide it, however they only provide a certain amount. The inmate usually runs out of that stuff before the prison gives him anymore. Just think if you were in prison, would you want someone to send you some money so you can get a few things just to help you be a little more comfortable?

Also for medications and such. My man has to take medicine for his siezures, so its a must he take them, their only $2 for his prescription, but i would rather send him the $2 to get them, than have him go into debt with the prison over it. Especially cuz for him they are a MUST!

Last edited by Dollface.09; 02-04-2010 at 02:30 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dollface.09 For This Useful Post:
catwoman1314 (02-06-2010), FletchersDaddy (02-07-2010), NewAttitude (02-05-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Donation Award 

I send mine money because he can't use that standard prison soap. He has to buy things so he can be clean i.e. half decent soap, shower slides, deodrant etc. Also when he first went in, he needed things like a pad lock as he is on a dorm and he does not want anybody taking his stuff. Oh he needed things like briefs as they were trying to give him some used boxers. Now I don't care how many times they have boiled washed it, it's still nasty. Oh and things like stamps and paper.

Now I am not saying that men in there can't survive without the money because they can, but I am not having my man do it.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Banned

Thanks guys.
I know that in prison in this country they spend extra money on cigarettes, playstations, CDs, DVDs, chocolate, drugs, designer sports wear to show off, like the latest nike shoes/clothing etc..
which is exactly why i didn't send this person money who i'm related to because he didn't deserve a breeze of a time, i obviously didn't want him to ever think it was okay to go back to jail (out of love).

Now I have a penpal/lover (early days :-p) in an american prison, (doing over 20 years) and from what i can gather from documentaries american prisons are VERY different, a lot more harsh and he can't even wear his own clothes, they all have to wear inmate jump suits! and there's no smoking, i assume no playstations or nintendos..
and i wonder if he did have extra money would it really improve his life? would i really be helping if i was to send some $$$?
Can they buy better quality food with their own money, or just junk/snacks?
I want him to be healthy so he will have many years left after he's released, for example if he can purchase some oily fish in tins that's great, or nuts or whatever, but i wouldnt want to encourage him to have like several packs of cookies (which is what i would do if there was nothing else to entertain me, not necessarily a good thing though).
Maybe it would just help if i sent him book after book, and music etc..

And of course if there's not much he can spend extra money on he might use it to call other girls, etc.. just for something to do
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Donation Award 

Yep UK & US system is wayyyyyyyy different hun. Trust me I know. HMP as rough as it is, is slightly nicer compared to the US when it comes to the basic stuff. I know guys who were in HMP who had nicer stuff then me and I was free and working. It's crazy. If my baby was in a HMP I would not be as fussed about sending money but I am telling you where he is in the US, he needs the extra stuff.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Corey's Hermosa Mariposa

...... for necessitiesor extras i.e. deoderant, soap, shower slides... if he's on lockdown he can order food because the food that they get when their on lockdown is nasty. He also uses the money to transfer funds on his prepaid phone card.

♥Like the clouds you Drift me away, far away And like the sun you Brighten my day, you brighten my day♥

Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:

My man can't keep their food from the chow hall down, it's so bad. So if I didn't send him money he wouldn't/couldn't eat nor could he buy stanps or paper.So no not everything is furnished, or at least not eatible food!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rosr Mary For This Useful Post:
HisRib31 (12-12-2013), NewAttitude (02-05-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,374 Times in 1,718 Posts

well I got him a tv at first but that was a big expense(that we'll get back when he comes home).

otherwise, the food they serve is not enough to keep him full especially since theyre dinner is so early. so he buys ramen and cookies and stuff. but it doesnt mean he's unhealthy! he works out twice a day and needs the extra calories and food to keep going.

otherwise where we are its very cold and snowy so he bought an extra sweatshirt because what they gave him was not enough.

and most importantly envelopes so he can write me!

Last edited by chelseagreg1427; 02-04-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 03:59 PM

Mine needed it just to get a little comfort stuff, and he was able to put money on his phone acct. So, I didn't have to mess with it.

Believe me, it really irked me to know that he was paying out the wazoo for stuff I have a ton of and often get free with coupons. But everybody needs a little comfort.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Banned

I know you have been down that path... but not all situations are the same..
In the SHU, my man does not get enough to eat, he needs to supply his own coffee, vitamins, anything to do with toiletries and cosmetics (as they refer to them) and if he wants something sweet, he has to get it himself.

I would send him quarterlies, but in the SHU he only gets 'yearlies'... I wonder how much Mrs. Dash and garlic powder he will need to last a year... in order to stomach the crap they call food.

He also needs money to see a doctor or mail anything out bigger than a standard 44 cent mailing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arimesis View Post

Does an inmate need money? No. Does it make life easier and more bearable? Yes.

Last edited by sweetgirlb; 02-04-2010 at 05:43 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Its us against the world

Thanked 4,174 Times in 2,323 Posts

Other than things such as restitution and buying neccasities the facility the prison dont provide- they dont NEED money but they dang sure can use it- shoot, last meal at 3pm someplaces- best believe they hungry by morning. You want your man to write you? Best believe he need some money for that paper,the stamps and that pen. THERES soo many reasons a man could use money while they gone- shoot i duno bout you but i sure snack sometimes and if my man wanted to buy some chips then i could care less. AND DRUGS!? Sounds like a trust issue, if you worried your man buying drugs why be with him?

*I know it's not easy, bein away from tha 1 u luv, some days seem almost unbearable, but b4 u close ur eyes at night, smile cuz ur 1 day closer 2 tha day ur incarcerated 1 will be home*

His Queen..forever & always..beyond Life
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to canthelpbutwait For This Useful Post:
ambeeeezy (02-05-2010), chelseagreg1427 (02-04-2010), ghostgirl7389 (02-07-2010)
Old 02-04-2010, 08:12 PM
MissinMyBaby

Yes..They do need money, dont be under the false assumption that they dont..Even if there are some ppl that think they dont.
The prison does provide toothpaste ( the toothepaste we were given we used to clean the floors with if that shit can eat the stuff off the floors just think what it does to ur teeth! ) and soap ( That is used to keep ur whites white better than bleach u really want that used on ur skin? )

They spend money on stamps, paper, envelopes, pens ( unless u dont want to get any mail ) shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, combs, toothbrushes, meds ( asprin, tylenol, cough drops, chapstick,) toothpaste, good soap, cups, bowls, FOOD ( if u dont make store, starve to death either the food aint fit to eat or u dont get enough ) coffee. Oh and they are charged to see medical/dental. Some prisons they have to pay for phone calls ( but here they call home collect ) if they are working on their cases then they have to pay for copies of law materials...

I will always keep money on my hubby's books ( if I have it ) even $10 helps out a whole lot!

NOT EVERYONE IN PRISON SPENDS THEIR MONEY ON DRUGS

I lOoK So MuCh BeTtEr WeArIn' HiS LaSt NaMe
Today Tomorrow Always
~H I S W I F E 4 L I F E ~

Last edited by kiddsgirl4life; 02-04-2010 at 08:16 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kiddsgirl4life For This Useful Post:
ambeeeezy (02-05-2010), choclgs (12-26-2013), esteli (02-05-2010), sweetgirlb (02-04-2010)
Old 02-05-2010, 03:25 AM
Banned

They have to spend money to see a doctor or dentist? WTF?
:-o
obviously momney is necessary in THAT case.

As for deoderant, i've never even used that, you take a bath right
Old 02-05-2010, 04:19 AM
Tom's wife

Some prisons they even have to pay to do laundry. stamps,envelopes, phone calls, toiletries, food, tons of stuff. hats, long johns,....
Old 02-05-2010, 04:23 AM
Banned

Thanked 4,309 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
They need money in TX, because NOTHING is supplied for them. Everything except their uniform and a shower towel is at their expense. Toothpaste, soap, deodorant, shower shoes (a MUST in TX), and any kind of food other than three meals a day, 2 of which are centered around some kind of bean, they need money for. They have to buy their stamps, however, I sent my husband in paper and envelopes, because commisary prices are just flat ridiculous. Even with the money I sent him, my husband came out literally skin and bones. Not all inmates do drugs, and the food is so awful in there, that Ramen noodles outranks chocolate on comm day.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:53 AM

Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,731 Posts

Mine spends money on all this listed below and mostly he pays for the gifts he has other inmates make me such as cards, drawings, jewelry, bead work, etc. Everything he sends to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddsgirl4life View Post
Yes..They do need money, dont be under the false assumption that they dont..Even if there are some ppl that think they dont.
The prison does provide toothpaste ( the toothepaste we were given we used to clean the floors with if that shit can eat the stuff off the floors just think what it does to ur teeth! ) and soap ( That is used to keep ur whites white better than bleach u really want that used on ur skin? )

They spend money on stamps, paper, envelopes, pens ( unless u dont want to get any mail ) shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, combs, toothbrushes, meds ( asprin, tylenol, cough drops, chapstick,) toothpaste, good soap, cups, bowls, FOOD ( if u dont make store, starve to death either the food aint fit to eat or u dont get enough ) coffee. Oh and they are charged to see medical/dental. Some prisons they have to pay for phone calls ( but here they call home collect ) if they are working on their cases then they have to pay for copies of law materials...

I will always keep money on my hubby's books ( if I have it ) even $10 helps out a whole lot!

NOT EVERYONE IN PRISON SPENDS THEIR MONEY ON DRUGS
The Following User Says Thank You to esteli For This Useful Post:
grace4today (02-08-2010)
Old 02-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Formerly Mike'sbabyboy

Thanked 1,151 Times in 619 Posts

[quote=chelseagreg1427;5211539]well I got him a tv at first but that was a big expense(that we'll get back when he comes home).

Yeah, I got Mike a TV once they moved him from the county. Once we found out he would have to serve more than two years, a TV was a must.

The Following User Says Thank You to NewAttitude For This Useful Post:
Hisoneandonly (02-05-2010)
Old 02-05-2010, 07:04 AM
grateful for my Man!
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,138 Times in 1,606 Posts

stamps and supplies,to stay in contact
vitamins to add to their body as they dont get good food, most of all they nearly dont get any vitamin C in winter times, what helps to stay more healthy
things like fish, rice, soups, to add to their food, as often there are things they cannot eat except to have to stay on the toilet after.... experiences.
shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste and such, as what they get from the State is not really great.
sometimes cloths, shoes, even they better get them in a parcel. even they should get such things from the STate it is not certain they do; often things get stolen as well..... it is good to know your man is warm in winter! as the cells often are real cold.
there are many more things, small things they are needed. for those they have to stay long, they are worth like gold: for example a fan in summer time.....

it was a journey to find out, what is better to send in a parcel, what he can get himself using money I send. the money which he has made himself was not enough to even pay the stamps (Europe needing 3 41 stamps each letter; there are no interenational ones he can get)
getting coke helps as well, as sometimes this is a good remedie for stomach problems

I have never send any luxury. or well, once a packet of cookies for his birthday. all the rest is stuff he needs in day life, things they are normal for us out here.....

......... it is a pretty lousy feeling to find out after a long time what they dont have in there.... my Man never asks for anything at all. and he did only allow me to send him anything after we decided to stay together. it was hard to make him accepting this help, but it makes me feel better to know he has at least some addition for his day life.
just my experience and point of view.....

the way the other acts is his karma and responsibility, the way I respond is mine!