Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Texas should be posted here.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Dual Diagnosis Advocate

Question "Acceptable" Places to Parole to..?

My husband spoke with his IPO this week (he is currently at ETTF - DWI Program) - very great interview and conversation...he spoke with her an hour!

This whole time we wanted to let the Parole Board know he was serious about accountability and sobriety once he got released. So we put a deposit down on a "sober house" 2 miles from where he will work once released. The IPO stated that he can only be paroled to a family's house or a TDCJ sanctioned half-way-house. I never thought they'd turn down a sober house...wow. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows what is acceptable places to Parole to...? I guess if all else fails, I'm gonna try to call the local Parole Dept in my county on Monday and see what is or isn't acceptable, but obviously would love to get a head-start on finding some answers.

And before you ask - I would prefer my husband not Parole to my house. We are still on rocky ground and repairing things - it would be better to take baby steps towards living together again...rather than being thrown into it. So far he put my parents house as an address for Parole...but they're not extremely excited about having him, if they can help it.

We still don't have an official "Yes" for his Parole...yet. But very confident it will come this time since he went thru this program (what is supposed to be a pre-parole program) and the IPO wrote down detailed notes and info about his release.
"We're all tough on crime, but we've got to be smart & that isn't necessarily 'Lock em up & throw away the key,' but providing programs & insight to do things differently than before." ~ Rep. Madden ; "It makes more sense to keep nonviolent offenders in community treatment centers - where they could get help, than to imprison them." ~ Sen. Whitmire

Last edited by strawberry6977; 01-30-2010 at 11:20 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Dual Diagnosis Advocate

I called the county PO's office this morning. They confirmed that he cannot stay anywhere except a TDCJ sanctioned HWH/facility or with family. That there would need to be an inspection/approval by the regional office in order for it to be considered for a TDCJ facility. I didnt ask further details, but she made it sound like that is quite a process and unlikely. I also asked her if he could eventually transfer to this sober house, and she said no.

So -- do inmates (Parolees) have to stay with family or a HWH the entire time they are on Parole...?? Or is there a specified time like 1 or 2 years, then they can go live elsewhere?

What I dont get is that they send the PO out to inspect everyone's house anyway...why not just go and inspect the sober house? I would think a sober house would be far better and much more strict than a family members house...

Any feedback, answers, advice would be helpful.
"We're all tough on crime, but we've got to be smart & that isn't necessarily 'Lock em up & throw away the key,' but providing programs & insight to do things differently than before." ~ Rep. Madden ; "It makes more sense to keep nonviolent offenders in community treatment centers - where they could get help, than to imprison them." ~ Sen. Whitmire
Old 02-01-2010, 03:18 PM

what is this "sober house" you speak of?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:14 AM

Strawberry, I am in a similar situation. We told our cousin that he could parole out to our house. Now what? I called and they said that he has to turn in a form to show his planned living arrangments. How does he get the form? What are the regulations on "family home"?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Dual Diagnosis Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasparolee View Post
what is this "sober house" you speak of?
It is one of many homes out there that are for those that have dedicated themselves to a life of sobriety - recovering alcoholics or druggies...normally those either on Probation, Pre-Trial, or freshly out of Rehab. It is normally a large home in a normal neighborhood...with a manager that stays there 24/7 and the roommates are fellow recovering substance abusers. They have manditory AA/NA meetings, random drug/alcohol testing, strict rules and accountability, etc... So, that's why I assumed it would be more than OK for him to stay there. Apparently not.

Last edited by strawberry6977; 02-04-2010 at 06:11 PM..
Old 02-05-2010, 02:02 AM
Pink*Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbrown79 View Post
Strawberry, I am in a similar situation. We told our cousin that he could parole out to our house. Now what? I called and they said that he has to turn in a form to show his planned living arrangments. How does he get the form? What are the regulations on "family home"?
He is to request the form from his IPO. As far as the family thing. If he has a strong desire to parole to anyone besides immediate family for certain reasons ( ex:family has been absent throughout life, area where his immediate family is provides a negative influnece on his parole, and many other negative impacts). I am sure that the parole will work with you if he is approved...One thing that you should continiously be doing is sending support letters. And actually in their policy for post release plans it says that they can seek the aide of family AND friends or halfway house." But Texas is a family state so I think that is why they lean towards family...but I am sure if you give them a really legit reason as why not his mother than they will be understanding.

"Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts"

Last edited by Lupe; 02-05-2010 at 02:04 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Lupe For This Useful Post:
strawberry6977 (02-08-2010)
Old 02-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Pink*Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry6977 View Post
It is one of many homes out there that are for those that have dedicated themselves to a life of sobriety - recovering alcoholics or druggies...normally those either on Probation, Pre-Trial, or freshly out of Rehab. It is normally a large home in a normal neighborhood...with a manager that stays there 24/7 and the roommates are fellow recovering substance abusers. They have manditory AA/NA meetings, random drug/alcohol testing, strict rules and accountability, etc... So, that's why I assumed it would be more than OK for him to stay there. Apparently not.
it must be an aprroved facility under half way houses inorder for them to consider it. Having him housed in a program does fall under half way houses and it has to be TDCJs approved list of houses.

But maybe they have programs that he can attend from the outside and not actually have to live there.

"Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts"
The Following User Says Thank You to Lupe For This Useful Post:
strawberry6977 (02-08-2010)
Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Dual Diagnosis Advocate

Thank you, MissW!

I wish I had run into you a year ago when I first was looking into sober homes for my husband upon release! I thought I was doing a good thing - going "above and beyond" for his Parole Plan. Now I'm out $200!

I went to Z&R Sober Homes in Cedar Park, TX. They wouldnt supply/produce a letter of intent for my husband to stay there until I paid them a "refundable" deposit of $200. I thought no matter what, he would stay there and we'd have to pay the deposit anyway. I am so angry at myself for assuming that. I told them he wouldnt be able to stay there, and that I wanted my $200 back. They said "No, because we gave you a letter", and "it's only refundable if you actually live there and then decide to leave". Umm, I drove to their house and it took them 5 minutes to type up and print out the letter. Yeah, is that worth $200?! Maybe $15 or $25, for an "administrative fee" - but they are looking for any excuse to keep the $200. Fraudulent, rip-off, selfish %$#@! Here I am a single mom trying to make ends meet, and obviously they arent running a home for the intent to "help others" - it's all about the almighty dollar. Grrr!

*off my soap-box* Sorry!