Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Texas should be posted here.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 PM

Question Time Served Question- Only serve 35% instead of 50%?

My husband is hearing rumors that now they don't have to serve 50%, they only have to serve 35% to be eligible for parole. I have tried to research and unable to find anything. Does anyone know if the law has or will change?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 AM

Its Depends On There Charge,The TDCJ Website Has A Website That Is For Parole That Has The Charts Of There Charge,As For Example My Hunny Has 7 Year Charge,Sentence March 2006 And He Has Drug Free Charge So He Has To Do 5 Yrs Before Coming Up For Parole,Which He Will Be Doing 4 Yrs March,So I Feel As Early As October The Parole Will Visit With Him,Hopefully,Crossing Fingers And Praying!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkissy9 View Post
My husband is hearing rumors that now they don't have to serve 50%, they only have to serve 35% to be eligible for parole. I have tried to research and unable to find anything. Does anyone know if the law has or will change?

There has been no such change in law. How much time he has to serve to be eligible for parole in Texas depends on the offense. If he is in for several specified violent or sex-related offenses listed in 508.147 of the Texas Govt. Cd., he has to do 50% to be eligible to be considered for release. If he was convicted of any other offense, he is eligible when his good time earned plus flat time served equals one-quarter of his sentence.

The Texas Legislature only meets once every two years (they will again be in session in January of 2011). There hasn't been a change in law affecting how much time people do on sentences since 1995, and none is being considered before any committees now.

I hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodsey For This Useful Post:
Renee (10-05-2010)
Old 10-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,488 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:

even if they changed the law now he would still have to do the percentage of time for parole eligibility that was on the books the year he was sentenced.

so whatever his parole eligibility is now won't change.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Donation Award 

Thumbs up No truth to these rumors.

Quote:

There is no truth to you or your husband have heard. The Texas Legislature has not changed the requirements for parole eligibility since 1995, with no plans to do so at this time. There are positive changes being proposed regarding the amount of time that is being credited to parole violators returned to the prison system. One bill would allow parolees to receive credit for time they served in compliance with the rules and conditions of their release from the date of their initial release to their subsequent re-arrest. Another would grant them credit for good time they earned their previous stay in prison, which, in some cases can be decades worth of time.

But nothing insofar as changing the 50% rule for those convicted of offenses under 508.149(a)(aka violent or "3g" offenses).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodsey For This Useful Post:
Renee (03-06-2011), Y25 (03-07-2011)
Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Pink*Lady

Quote:
you must be referring to AGG...no such thing...still have to serve 50% of time before eligible....one of those 3times a year rumors!

"Families are like fudge - mostly sweet with a few nuts"