Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal System News & Events News about the federal prison system and related topics.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Donation Award 

Default USP Canaan lockdown

My son's caseworker just called and Canaan in Waymart,PA is now in lockdown,my son had called earlier that there was going to be a shakedown for weapons.Frustration big time since we were flying there tomorrow for visit.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 02:33 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,739 Times in 4,293 Posts

So sorry this is messing up your visit. According to a C.O.'s website, this is
what happened:

On January 13th, an inmate was stabbed at USP Canaan and taken to the outside hospital for treatment. Then, on January 14th, when the inmates and housing units were being searched for weapons, there were 200 inmates in one area and they refused to comply with the weapons search and refused to lie down on the ground when told. "Flash bangs" and "chemical munitions" were deployed. Inmates were handcuffed and decontaminated and then the whole prison was locked down.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:11 AM

Thanks for the info Z. I have a friend there, and I wondered why I hadn't received an email from him. I hope he is okay. I hate to hear things like this, but I am glad to know.

For the poster that was getting ready to visit their child......I know how you feel as I have been in your position. The only difference was I tried and tried to call the facility but no one would answer BEFORE I boarded my plane. It was common for them not to answer, so I boarded the plane anyway. I found out when I got to the facility. It was devastating, so I am glad you found out BEFORE you left. I know how tough it is though and my heart goes out to you!!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Banned

Default Canaan Lockdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirt View Post
My son's caseworker just called and Canaan in Waymart,PA is now in lockdown,my son had called earlier that there was going to be a shakedown for weapons.Frustration big time since we were flying there tomorrow for visit.
Yes, I drove up from Baltimore on Friday to visit my boyfriend there and was met at the door with a note that said, "No visitation until further notice". I promptly screamed, literally. I then went in and asked the female guard at the entrance station whether the facility was on lockdown. She reponded, "That is not public information." I responded, "Wow. You've got to be kidding me." It was a 4 hour drive up and a 4 hours drive back. The anger in me kept me from falling asleep behind the wheel.
Being new to the prison system, I didn't think to call in advance. Also DOES ANYONE KNOW IF INMATES ARE STILL ABLE TO SEND AND RECEIVE US POSTAL MAIL WHILE ON LOCKDOWN? THANKS.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Donation Award 

Yes, if the inmate has envelopes and stamps, he can write - and receive mail. If the institution has the mail "label" system, I think he'd have to have labels too.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Prayer is the key

Default wow

Dang ladies sorry to hear that, you drove all the way up there 4 hrs there and back, then the person that got on the plane. the FBOP doesn't realise the $$$$$$$$$$$ people spend to see thier loved ones, gas, lodging in hotels etc. it really sucks . So, have you ladies heard anything from your loved ones? Is the facility off lockdown yet?

Giving me no more than what I can handle!!!!
Knowing when to Let Go, and Let God!!!
I am God's work in progress
Old 01-19-2010, 08:07 AM

Default info

hey zelda where can i find that co's website
Old 01-19-2010, 08:18 AM

Default canaan

hey does anyone have anymore information on the lockdown at canaan usp
Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Banned

Still on lockdown as far as I know. I have the CO's website at home. I will post it when I am online again.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

My boyfriend must have taken a risk and snuck a phone call to me yesterday because I saw his number after hanging up with another call. He called me at 10:30 a.m. yesterday. I missed the call, but was not worried because I thought: cool, they are finally of lockdown; he will call again. However, he did not call back the rest of the day nor did he respond to any emails I sent him since last Wednesday evening. The only thing I can assume is that he snuck the phone call while the guards weren't looking! That would be like him!
Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 PM
Donation Award 

Sometimes, when on a lockdown, they let the guys out for a very limited period of time, to make phone calls, and then locked them down again. So it may have been legit. Z.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Talking mail during lockdown

Yes, I called Canaan and they are still permitted to receive mail at this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulaskicorridor View Post
Yes, I drove up from Baltimore on Friday to visit my boyfriend there and was met at the door with a note that said, "No visitation until further notice". I promptly screamed, literally. I then went in and asked the female guard at the entrance station whether the facility was on lockdown. She reponded, "That is not public information." I responded, "Wow. You've got to be kidding me." It was a 4 hour drive up and a 4 hours drive back. The anger in me kept me from falling asleep behind the wheel.
Being new to the prison system, I didn't think to call in advance. Also DOES ANYONE KNOW IF INMATES ARE STILL ABLE TO SEND AND RECEIVE US POSTAL MAIL WHILE ON LOCKDOWN? THANKS.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:59 PM

Default no corrlinks email or phone to me!

It's been since last Wednesday since I've heard from my friend as well, Is that the date of the stabbing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulaskicorridor View Post
My boyfriend must have taken a risk and snuck a phone call to me yesterday because I saw his number after hanging up with another call. He called me at 10:30 a.m. yesterday. I missed the call, but was not worried because I thought: cool, they are finally of lockdown; he will call again. However, he did not call back the rest of the day nor did he respond to any emails I sent him since last Wednesday evening. The only thing I can assume is that he snuck the phone call while the guards weren't looking! That would be like him!
Old 01-20-2010, 09:08 PM

Does anyone have any idea how long they could be kept on lock down due to this situation? It has been a week and I have heard nothing from my man. I keep checking the email, and nothing there either. I know he did not have any stamps left and was going to go to commissary the next time they were able to. Of course, this was before the lock down occurred. He made no mention of it to me so I am sure he had no clue that they would be on lock down, he normally will say something like send me some books to read or some sign. uugghhh, so frustrating!!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:29 PM

I hear ya girls,...it has been one full week, my last corrlinks email was last Wednesday. I miss my boo~ I miss our conversations, he usually answers all my emails no matter how many there are. I dont know how long it will be, but there is no new news. Each time i call they say they dont know how much longer the restriction will be, just till further notice.
Mylifesjstfine (01-21-2010)
Old 01-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourgrlnow View Post
It's been since last Wednesday since I've heard from my friend as well, Is that the date of the stabbing??
Yes. And I got a letter from my boyfriend Tuesday this week (2 days ago). He had written it on Thursday and said he was on lockdown but did not know why yet.
As of Thursday morning, they are still locked down.

A LITTLE OVERKILL????
Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourgrlnow View Post
yes
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Banned

But the stabbing didn't cause the lockdown, the incident from the following day in the gymnasium did. When you have 200 inmates refuse to get down when told to, that's a problem!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:02 AM

I also recieved a letter from my boyfriend in Canaan. It was from thursday and he said they were told to get comfy! The guard told him it would be a while and then shut thier tv's off. As of today it's been a week Hopefully it ends soon
Old 01-21-2010, 09:40 AM

Default Canaan off lockdown!!

I just got a call from my boyfriend. They are allowed on thier blocks finally and able to make calls just wanted to share withyou.
The Following User Says Thank You to chevygirl_38 For This Useful Post:
Mylifesjstfine (01-21-2010)
Old 01-21-2010, 11:29 AM

Ok, I am a little better now!! I finally received a letter in the mail today. I am not sure why it took so long but whatever. From the way he worded it, he thought they would be off of lock down long before now. The email is blocked so they are not even able to sneek an email in if they wanted!! Hopefully this will be over with soon. Good luck to each of you!!
Old 01-21-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevygirl_38 View Post
I just got a call from my boyfriend. They are allowed on thier blocks finally and able to make calls just wanted to share withyou.
Glad to hear that, hopefully I will get an email soon. I wonder if the email has been unblocked. Unfortunately mines has no minutes left on the phone.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 PM

I received an email!! So happy now!!
Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

I got 2 phone calls and 1 email today from my man. They are off lockdown, but no one answers the facility's phone number when I have called twice in the past hour, so I have no idea if visitors are allowed yet. I told my man to ask the COs there whether they can now receive visitors. When I know, I will post.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:12 PM

they are able to send e-mail but remember every message is checked first and i'm sure there alot of messages to be approved C.O told my boyfriend thata decision had not been made yet about allowing visitors. Hopefully they get back to normal soon