Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:37 PM
person county NC

Default Going in, can I get a guitar in there?

will i be able to get a guitar in there somehow? ive heard of ways like the prison letting you play it in the yard or something
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2010, 05:42 PM
1 Day at a Time

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by durhamboy View Post
will i be able to get a guitar in there somehow? ive heard of ways like the prison letting you play it in the yard or something
This would be great news to me, but I've never heard of this being allowed. Are you going to a state prison or federal? It might be best to post in that section to get the most accurate answer. Good luck. I hope you get the one you want.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 PM

Durham: Can I suggest you wait until you get there and settle in? Get a lay of the land. I did two short bids in county & state faciltities. In the county joint one of the COs had a harmonica in his locker and if the situation was right (no a-hole COs around, things generally quiet & relaxed, he'd let this black kid play the harmonica for his crew...and for the rest of us, for that matter). My point is that the harmonica belonged (or was possessed by) a CO, and everybody was cool and low key about its use. It was a nice distraction, particularly on a Friday or Saturday night.
Once you get there, you might find out there is already a guitar or banjo there. Maybe you can play it (if it doesn't "belong" to someone else), or you can bring it up to the right CO or counselor, at the right time and in the right way....after you have established your rep as a "standup guy" (which means you don't cause or look for trouble, you keep to yourself while displaying quiet respect for everybody else, both inmates and employees, and generally make people feel good when they see or think of you).....then maybe you'll have the opportunity to suggest to someone you'd like to strum on a guitar every now and then....who knows...maybe a CO will figure out a way to accomodate you....but on his terms & conditions, not yours....
Hope you don't think I'm talking down to you or anything...just trying to give you the benefit of my experience, strength and hope....(with me, all I wanted was books, and we were limited to three paperbacks....and I wanted hardbacks so I could write notes in them and keep them forever....I was very serious about improving my mind there....After I was there a few weeks, a CO struck up a conversation with me....My problem was immediately solved....My hardcovers were kept in his locker....Other inmates kept paperbacks for me so they would survive shakedowns....Frig it, there were Spanish guys who were honored to babysit my English language philosophy & history books...) I guess I'm just saying, get there, settle in, be patient, and all will work out....especially if you got a good attitude...some guys have girlie pics on their walls*...I had a Rolex ad of a racing sailboat with the motto: "What we did not allow to destroy us, Only made us stronger" hanging over my bunk.....A guy who owed me for not testifying that led to my contempt sentence gave me a Rolex chronometer when I got out....Do your time like a stand up guy, don't let it destroy you....stay away from drugs and abusing booze....and five years after you get out you won't believe how good your life will be....trust me....

*I'm not talking about pics of wives, GFs or kids (all good things), but slutty pics of actresses, models, etc.

*I'

Last edited by ProfMoriarty; 01-05-2010 at 07:59 PM..
Old 01-06-2010, 03:51 AM
sadmom

Quote:
depends on which facility you go to,i sent my son an electric guitar from a vendor and he keeps it in his dorm with him and goes to the music room 3 times a week and plays with a band hes in a ny state facility,he couldnt have the cords but they have them in the music room for the inmates to use
Old 07-23-2010, 07:36 AM
we are FREE xoxox
Donation Award 

Quote:
You can in the state of Michigan!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,127 Posts

Here in New Hampshire too. Based on availabilty and of course classification.
Sorry I can't be more specific about the facility you're headed.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:07 AM

Why don't you call prisons in your state and ask them. Best of Luck.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:30 PM

Yeah, the best thing to do is to call the NC DOC and find out:

North Carolina DOC: 919-716-3700
Old 08-29-2010, 02:33 PM

In some Indiana facilities, you can check out a guitar from the rec hall during rec time. Also, they let musicians play during chapel for church services.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,701 Times in 559 Posts

i have a penpal in nc prison. some have instruments some dont. when he was at craggy, he was able to play. now he is in minimum custody at odom, and they have nothing. hopefully, eventually you will be where you can use your music to relax, and make yourself happy. good luck.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:26 AM

good luck...
Old 09-02-2010, 04:26 PM
Banned

Just don't tell anyone that you wanna learn how to play the skinflute.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Only one in NC I know of would be Craggy but it's their instruments and they keep them you get to play like maybe five hours a week.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Life,love,stress&setbacks

I think it depends on the facility. Where Vinny is at he has access to a guitar He's in a min. prison in Oregon.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,082 Posts

Oregon's Prison commissaries actually sell guitars, two models, and another electric bass model. The acoustical guitars are in the $250 range, (case sold separately ), while the electric ones are about $400 or so...

Most States have similar kinds of programs.