Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Default Help what is Pre-release Unit??????

Hello I have a couple questions... I recived a letter fom my husband today he has just finished intake and they tols him he is eligable for Project RIO(I have no idea what that is) They also said he is eligable to goto a Pre-Release Unit what is a Pre-Release Unit????
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2009, 12:45 AM

it is a low security unit in which he will likely be allowed to work, have his own clothes, contact visits, anytime phone calls unsupervised until he is eventually released by parole...basically it means its his last stop before coming home
The Following User Says Thank You to joshua scott For This Useful Post:
David'sgrl (12-22-2009)
Old 12-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,540 Times in 1,744 Posts

There are several so called "pre-release" units around the state including Mineral Wells but don't let the word "pre-release" fool you though because it no longer means anything. Guys used to only stay at those units for a short period of time until they were released but that's just not the case anymore and in the case of places like Mineral Wells, most inmates would rather be on an ID unit because there is so much drama and contraband (more than usual). The only advantage I saw to it was that all visits are contact and they were able to wear jeans and regular tennis shoes.

Project RIO is a program they go thru that is supposed to help the offenders get a job when released, teach them how to interview and compile a resume. Some have success getting help from Project RIO upon release but others don't. They also help get offender's driver's licenses and social security cards as well before release.

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!

Last edited by ReggiesLady; 12-21-2009 at 08:04 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReggiesLady For This Useful Post:
catwoman1314 (12-21-2009), David'sgrl (12-22-2009)
Old 12-21-2009, 12:14 PM

project rio is useless. Just another one of tdcj's poor excuses of trying to help offenders for release. Getting a social is about all its good for.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to texasparolee For This Useful Post:
catwoman1314 (01-09-2010), David'sgrl (12-22-2009), ReggiesLady (12-21-2009), SAGIRL (01-09-2010)
Old 12-24-2009, 06:26 AM

Project rio is a great program but most people are just too dumb to take advantage of it. When I was released they were a great help to me and they also gave me three hundred dollars in wal-mart gift cards to buy clothes and a starter set of hand tools for work. They bonded me, and they also offered my new employer a tax credit for hiring an ex-offender of up to two thousand dollars.
The Following User Says Thank You to carlkiot For This Useful Post:
David'sgrl (12-26-2009)
Old 12-24-2009, 10:34 AM

are you calling me dumb? first of all the project rio does not bond you. it comes from the state of texas. as for the tax credit it comes from the irs. project rio does stuff for you that you can do without their help. as for helping you find a job. all they do is show you how to look for jobs on the workintexas.com website. they do nothing for you that you can't do yourself. the dumb ones are the ones who think project rio is a "great" program

Last edited by texasparolee; 12-24-2009 at 10:44 AM..
Old 12-24-2009, 12:44 PM
1 Day at a Time

Thanked 1,863 Times in 1,023 Posts

The post wasn't directed at anyone in particular, and I see nothing here for anyone to take offense at. Obviously some people benefit from Project Rio, and other's don't. Different people have different experiences and opportunities in life. They also have different ways of expressing their experiences. This is not a reason to take offense, or belittle anyone. We're not always going to agree, and sometimes friendly, positive disagreement makes for great discussion.

I'm posting our community purpose, and our freedom of speech policy. Please review it before posting again. However, if one cannot contribute to the discussion in positive, friendly fashion, one needs to bypass posting altogether, and if only for the sake of the Spirit of Christmas, let's have some peace and goodwill toward man in Texas.

PTO Community Purpose:
The purpose of the Prison Talk Online community is Prisoner & Family Support, Information and Assistance. While we welcome people with other view points seeking to learn more, anything beyond friendly questions will NOT be tolerated. PTO is not a forum open to debating whether or not anyone should be in prison, should prisoners and their families have rights, etc. Anyone who is hostile to our purpose will be immediately blocked from the community and all of their posts will be deleted. This will be the ONLY WARNING and no notice will be given.

“Freedom of Speech”:
While we believe very much in the freedom of speech & expression, you DO NOT have an absolute right to say whatever you want in this community. Anything that goes against our core beliefs and the purpose for which this community was designed may not be allowed. Posts and comments that are meant to incite conflicts between members or outside parties are strictly prohibited. PTO Administration has the absolute right to edit, modify, close or delete any content found in this community. While this rarely, if ever happens, we will not tolerate individuals or groups creating problems with the overall membership.

Last edited by WilcoMom; 12-24-2009 at 12:45 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to WilcoMom For This Useful Post:
David'sgrl (12-26-2009)
Old 12-24-2009, 02:59 PM

All I'm saying is that if you or someone you know has been recently released from prison, go to The Texas Worksource and ask to speak to a Project Rio councilor. They will give you money to help you get back on your feet. The one hundred dollars you get from TDC only goes so far, the extra THREE HUNDRED from PROJECT RIO really helped me out! If you by chance already know how to get bonded, and how to get the tax credit for your employer and know how to get an extra three hundred dollars, well than you're smarter than most, but if you dont, then just ask a PROJECT RIO councilor and they will do it for you. PROJECT RIO is a great program designed to help not hurt.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carlkiot For This Useful Post:
catwoman1314 (12-24-2009), KathleenTX (12-24-2009), WilcoMom (12-24-2009)
Old 12-24-2009, 03:11 PM
1 Day at a Time

Thanked 1,863 Times in 1,023 Posts

The Texas Workforce Commission website is not user friendly, or intuitive. It took not only a friend of mine who had used it previously, but a TWC computer consultant TWO TRIES to help me understand how it works. So, if Project Rio is able to help someone do this, it's worth every minute of their time in helping someone find a good job. As for helping you get bonded, that's terrific. You rock for sticking with it!
The Following User Says Thank You to WilcoMom For This Useful Post:
David'sgrl (12-26-2009)
Old 12-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Texas and Ohio
Donation Award 

Since 9/11 any agency that can help you get your social security card (if lost) is a miracle as there are so many requirements now. Did you know that you can only get 9 replacement ss cards in a lifetime? They don't count it if your name changes though. And you can only get 3 in one year.

Project RIO will also cough up a bit of money here and there for things like getting a copy of your GED diploma. Every penny and little bit of help is just one step closer o your goals.

Every program has it's goods and bad moments. Any program is only as good as the current employees and the perseverance of the people who utilize it.

Also once out please don't forget WIA that can help pay for training including gas vouchers and school supplies. You have to work to get it but the pay off is great. I had to go every day for 30 days to the TWC and I hated it and couldn't afford the gas but is sure paid off as they dropped 14k for schooling for me. Not a bad return on an investment of 30 days of "hurry up and wait".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KathleenTX For This Useful Post:
David'sgrl (12-26-2009), Michelep68 (12-28-2009)
Old 12-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Blessed Mom
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,540 Times in 1,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kderrick View Post
Also once out please don't forget WIA that can help pay for training including gas vouchers and school supplies. You have to work to get it but the pay off is great. I had to go every day for 30 days to the TWC and I hated it and couldn't afford the gas but is sure paid off as they dropped 14k for schooling for me. Not a bad return on an investment of 30 days of "hurry up and wait".
What's WIA?

I claim 2013 will be our best year thus far!!
Old 12-29-2009, 07:41 AM

Default Pre-release unit

There are a few pre-release units. Some our ran by private contractors hired by the State & others are actually ran by TDC itself. T

The one in Mineral Wells in my opinion was horrible. They had just stopped letting the inmates where their clothes (1 1/2 yrs). There was contraband all over the place, the "gangs" are very prevelant & fights on top of the buildings. Mineral Wells has had riots where the National Guard has had to be called in. My son was involved in a disturbance which almost went into a riot. I was never so glad for him to get out of there. Mineral Wells is ran by the contractor which is a total joke.

The other pre-release facility he went to was in McAllen. This facility is ran by TDC & was alot better as far as pre-release.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Texas and Ohio
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggiesLady View Post
What's WIA?
Workforce in Action which was formerly JPTA (Job Partnership Training Act).

It is also very good for single mothers. I was laid off in 2000 and used it to get my Microsoft Certified System Engineer. My daughter used it and became a certified coder.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/boards/wia/txwia.html for Texas

https://services.twc.state.tx.us/PRO...ERT/dispatcher

The first is the main for Texas. The second link is where you can search for a provider.

They will pay for up to two years of college.

Catches are: They take your complete Pell Grant (if training costs more than the Pell) and then they pay the rest. Look out for the providers as some don't want you to be able to take out a student loan. You have to really fight for some of it if you are going to a technical school.

It is also one of those that you might have to fight for depending on the caseworker you see.

If you want to know more or have any questions just pm me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KathleenTX For This Useful Post:
GarysLittleDove (12-29-2009), ReggiesLady (12-30-2009)
Old 01-09-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua scott View Post
it is a low security unit in which he will likely be allowed to work, have his own clothes, contact visits, anytime phone calls unsupervised until he is eventually released by parole...basically it means its his last stop before coming home
I wish that were true. My husband has been at a Texas pre-release facility for 2 years. They are VERY strict there. It is no different than any other place.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:37 PM

Do they get to leave there to go work somewhere? Is it a fairly decent place?