Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan General Prison Talk General Topics & Discussions dealing with Michigan's Department of Corrections, Probation, laws & legal, etc. If it doesn't fit into any other Michigan topic, post it here!

Old 12-18-2009, 08:37 AM

Default Compass test what is it?

Has anyone had their loved one take the compass test 18 months before ERD? If so what does this mean? My husband is in 1st time DUI.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 11:42 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

The compass test is something that is fairly new to the MDOC. They have just started it this past summer. They are trying to use this as a way to measure a person's risk for parole.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:52 PM

I understand. Why would they give it to him 18 months before ERD? MDOC is sooooooo unpredictable that you never know why they do what they do.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marknmaryforeve View Post
I understand. Why would they give it to him 18 months before ERD? MDOC is sooooooo unpredictable that you never know why they do what they do.
They are giving it to everyone. My husband is a lifer and he has taken it as well.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:32 PM

How does one get the score? Would it be within his file and available via a FOIA request?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Yes it will be in his file. I don't know if it is available to FOIA but you can ask and see what response you get. No harm in asking.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lions Heart For This Useful Post:
jlzkmm (01-04-2010)
Old 01-04-2010, 08:26 PM

He can send you the results. My guy did and then I sent it back to him after I read it.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPE4FUTURE View Post
He can send you the results. My guy did and then I sent it back to him after I read it.
Hope...his ARUS told him he couldn't have a copy. What's up with that?!?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 PM

I don't know because mine got one and sent it to me. I don't see why he wouldn't be able to have one, it's his test. I'll ask when he calls tomorrow if he had to pay for it or go make his own or whatever.

I will warn you though not to get too excited about the results of it because when mine got his he was very upset about it and didn't think it represented him at all and the person he feels that he has tried very hard to change. They mainly go back on your crime and don't give you much. His counselor had to really go over it with him and convince him that it was ok. Some inmates counselors may not be as thorough as his was so some inmates may not like what they saw.

Last edited by HOPE4FUTURE; 01-04-2010 at 09:38 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to HOPE4FUTURE For This Useful Post:
jlzkmm (01-05-2010)
Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Ex-Inmate never Ex-Con

An inmates file is "usually" not subject to a FOIA request, as they can cite Security reasons. However sometimes the test results are not treated as State secrects.

In the Spring of 2009, I was on Parole and given a compass test, it really is not a test you take, you sit down and they ask you a series of questions, there is a formula dn a score to determine your "supervision" level in case of Parole.

My PO was very nice, and he told me that I scored where I could come once a month. I was off Parole in Sptember.. Dont mix this up with the PER score though. My friend Hutch is at Ionia level II, and his ERD is 2017 and he had to take one also.

To be frank with you, I would not worry too much about the compass, if he gets parole it will just tell them if he is to report every week, bi weekly or monthly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Never Forget For This Useful Post:
HOPE4FUTURE (01-04-2010), jlzkmm (01-05-2010)
Old 01-04-2010, 09:43 PM

Thanks Hope...

Never Forget...isn't the compass test also used to determine the current AOP status/issue also? Maybe I've confused it with another one...sorry, if I did.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:03 PM

This is something my Bro was talking about today ...said his compass test score was high enough that he didn't have to take AOP....I think he maybe speaking about the test where he scored 14....he is a level 2....and would be considered a violent offender...his verdict was GBMI (Guilty But Mentally Ill) ...he is being treated for his illness and doing well....also he had a mandatory 2yrs. on a gun charge...he has completed that time the end of this month.... and 3 3/4 years on other charges...so he wouldn't be up for parole...ERD 10/28/2013 ...so I don't understand the reason for the compass test in his case
Old 01-05-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDEFAC View Post
so he wouldn't be up for parole...ERD 10/28/2013 ...so I don't understand the reason for the compass test in his case
There is a group of business men who are protesting the high rate of business tax. They believe their taxes are being used to support the MDOC. They are pushing the Michigan legislature to change the laws allowing inmates to be released after serving 85% of their ERD. I don't know if they are refering to good time credits or something else all together.

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index....d_to_take.html
As university aid has declined, prison spending has grown. Last year saw the first serious steps to control it through the accelerated parole of inmates who served 120 percent of their minimum sentences.
Critics of prison spending, joined recently by some in the business community, say inmates who have served 85 percent of their sentences without causing problems should merit parole as well.
Unless that is done — or corrections officers take a whopping pay cut — a 20 percent spending reduction is impossible
Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Ex-Inmate never Ex-Con

The only problem with this 85% rule is that will it not conflict with TIS. I am possibly wrong, however I read TIS as final, unless it is repealed by the legislature. It would be wonderful if the MDOC got real fianlly.

As far as the compass test, it well may be used inside for that, however as my old Parole Officer explained to me, it was used (in my case) to determine if I was to maintina my once a month reporting. Then again it makes sense as part of it assessed my security classification, my history, and also my crime...

AOP has been assessed to far too many men and women, especially since NO MATTER what you do. If you go to the board without it when it is recomended then you will get a flop....

A silly cylce that makes no sense. Why not still have AOP, however make the man take it on parole.....
Old 01-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

The Compass was initially supposed to evaluate a persons need for programming including AOP. It also doesn't surprise me that a parole officer would use it to determine the frequency of contacts.

Quite a bit of information in an inmates file is subject to FOIA. I would imagine that this information would be. I have been able to get quite a bit of information via the FOIA process. There has only been one time that I was denied due to security issues. I could have argued it but it really wasn't worth it at the time.

Your loved one should be entitled to get a copy of his COMPASS. It is his testing and he should be able to have a copy. My guess is that the ARUS just didn't want to do anything. He should put in a kite to receive a copy and that way the request is in writing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lions Heart For This Useful Post:
jlzkmm (01-05-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 06:01 PM

This is nice, not to be rude to you guys or anything to the sort but my hubby only has 9 mo. till his ERD and has not taken the compass yet! Although the councelers are trying to tell him he has? Go figuare?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahrondo View Post
This is nice, not to be rude to you guys or anything to the sort but my hubby only has 9 mo. till his ERD and has not taken the compass yet! Although the councelers are trying to tell him he has? Go figuare?
He may want to kite and request it. That way he has it in writing that he has requested it. He will need to take it. What typically happens is that it will be closer to her ERD and they will tell him that he needs to take the test, then if the test comes back that he needs to take something else then they can use that to flop him. That doesn't mean that they will but they can use anything they want to in order to justify a flop.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:37 AM

I keep reading about all of these tests our inmates take..does each and every one take it. And if so how far into their sentence do they begin? My husband has to get his GED and take the SOTP classes...and testing too? He also has to get a job..all of which is great...but who orders all of the tests? It seems like they keep adding onto the things our guys need to do to go home, just to make it harder. Just my thoughts. Thanks.

[/url]
Old 01-24-2010, 11:38 AM

My guy begs to take any test they will give him and would work 20 hours a day if he could just get out of there! LOL They are giving more tests and classes right now to get them up out of there and I think to have proof that these guys fulfilled their required classes and are not a threat to society, and determine their supervision level on parole, etc. It might be a little much for your guy right now since he is also working on his GED. But he'll be ok, it will keep him busy and pass the time away.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

I agree with Hope! They are using these tests the way that the general public uses evidence based practices. Some of these tests have been researched and that can be used to help support a person being granted parole.

My husband would take any test they offered if it helped him have a chance to come home.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Default Compass Test

My loved one took it recently but the answers were typed in by the person (counselor?) administering the test and he wasn't able to see what answers were submitted. The results were way off base when describing him. I hope the posters are correct who said it is mostly for frequency of parole reporting or to determine what program might be required before parole. There is a reason these types of tests are prohibited from being used for certain things and this should be one of them. It has only been the topic of one scholarly research project as far as I know, and it was controversial.

If anyone knows how to get a copy of the test &/or access to the grading method, please PM me.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 AM

To answer a lot of these posts, you can read this about the COMPAS.
http://www.michigan.gov/corrections/...3248--,00.html
and the original memo from Dennis Straub to the wardens regarding COMPAS
http://www.michpri.com/uploads/uploa...%204-16-08.pdf
This memo explains when, who, and how it is administered.
Last November I heard Barbara Sampson, parole board chair, speak, and she indicated that the board is going to try and do away with the PER evaluation and that they don't really use it anyway.
As to using the COMPAS to determine if they need AOP, they never needed it before and supposedly AOP should be automatically required if the crime was/is considered assaultive. I believe there were posts here in the last year and half about AOP.

Also, not sure if anyone is interested in this or not, but doing a google search for COMPAS let me to this...
http://michiganworks.org/info/mpri-database-faqs/
Hope this helps.