Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

South Carolina General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in SC that do not fit into any other SC subforum.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:02 AM

Default Time Reduction to Sentences??? Rumor???

HI...I WAS WONDERING HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING IN REGARDS TO THE STATE REDUCING THE PERCENTAGE OF TIME THAT PRISONERS SERVE DUE TO BUDGET SHORTFALLS. STARTING IN THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR. I WAS TOLD THAT THERE WAS AN ARTICLE IN THE POST AND COURIER...BUT I HAVE NOT HAD ANY LUCK FINDING IT. IS THIS A RUMOR OR FACT??? IM IN NC SO I AM KINDA LATE GETTING THE NEWS FROM SC. MY HUBBY SAYS EVERYONE IS BUZZING ABOUT IT.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 06:17 AM
inmate Mama

I've heard alot of rumers about this happening, because of the budget and the overcrowded conditions, but have not seen anything in writing about it yet. I know, SOMETHING has to happen soon! They're doing this in other states, but I guess SC is behind, as usual....
Hope someone can share some insight concerning this matter.. I KNOW we're all anxious to hear some news on it! Thanks for the post!
inloveandlonley (12-09-2009)
Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inloveandlonley View Post
HI...I WAS WONDERING HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING IN REGARDS TO THE STATE REDUCING THE PERCENTAGE OF TIME THAT PRISONERS SERVE DUE TO BUDGET SHORTFALLS. STARTING IN THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR. I WAS TOLD THAT THERE WAS AN ARTICLE IN THE POST AND COURIER...BUT I HAVE NOT HAD ANY LUCK FINDING IT. IS THIS A RUMOR OR FACT??? IM IN NC SO I AM KINDA LATE GETTING THE NEWS FROM SC. MY HUBBY SAYS EVERYONE IS BUZZING ABOUT IT.
That rumor is at least 4 years old
The Following User Says Thank You to bigcat22 For This Useful Post:
inloveandlonley (12-09-2009)
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 AM

I have heard that this has been circulating for a while, but I was told there was an article in the Post and Courier discussing the plans for the New Year. I know some kind of legislation has to be passed for this to happen. Due to the fact that I am in NC, it very hard for me to recieve current events from SC, so any insight anyone has on this issue will be greatly appreciated. I'm going to try to keep looking for the article. My hubby said it was circulating at Kirkland, but he couldn't get his hands on it. All I know is that they need to do something quick...The conditions in SC prisons are horrible and they continue to bring in new inmates everyday.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Faith~Hope~Love

Wish it is true. I've been hearing this rumor also for the past 4 years.
Romans 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:20 PM
The Truth Is Forever
Donation Award 

This is all I could find
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2...possible78629/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miss Superwoman For This Useful Post:
cbdaniels05 (12-10-2009), inloveandlonley (12-14-2009), inmatemama (12-10-2009)
Old 12-15-2009, 04:27 PM

Inlove, I really do feel for you. You want your loved one home - all of us do and so we grasp at straws. As stated above, there's rumors on top of rumors on top of rumors. Let's see, we have the feds threatening to take away funding rumor followed by the State Supreme Court doing a survey that's been delayed several times now but this time it's gonna happen rumor and there's poor Senator Fair who truly does seem like a nice guy to me that introduces bill after bill - year after year only to have his bills bogged down in years of committee work. Before you think I don't think anything will ever happen - I do. But, I believe it won't happen until the conditions are horrendous, the state is broke and we've got a governor not running for re-election. Oh wait, those are the conditions now. I do believe there will be an early release but I'm not betting on January. Truth is SCDC was told more than a year ago to submit plans for this but like most things with the gooberment, it is dragging and if I were the one doing the paperwork I'd check and re-check also. No one wants to be the person who releases prisoners. The state of our economy (state and national) could have been seen years ago but no one wanted to be the messenger that got shot. So, we bumped along ignoring the warning signs and now it's slapping us in the face. All of it is about timing. There is much talk now with people emphasizing non violent, almost done with sentence, close schools or close prisons. It's talk to get people used to the idea. That is when it will happen. I'd guess sometime next spring or summer. Also, watch DPPP. I've heard there has been an increase in parole officers being hired. It's coming - just don't know when.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshsmom221 For This Useful Post:
inloveandlonley (12-21-2009), inmatemama (12-15-2009)
Old 12-22-2009, 12:00 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,784 Posts

This will more than likely continue to be a rumor. Recently Ozmit requested an extension regarding budget cuts which doesn't sound like good news. Everything joshsmom221 states is valid. It could probably be beneficial for our state to began granting early releases but very few would support the idea statewide, even if its cost effective.
The Following User Says Thank You to choclgs For This Useful Post:
inloveandlonley (12-29-2009)
Old 12-28-2009, 07:35 AM
Faith~Hope~Love

Has anyone heard anything new within the past couple weeks? My man called last week and said one of the guys there said they had something on one of the news channels there talking about it. I've looked online, but all I can find is from last year and earlier this year, nothing new.
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbdaniels05 For This Useful Post:
inloveandlonley (12-29-2009)
Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 AM

Hi...I heard the same thing yesterday...Im in NC so I don't get your news. Im waiting on my hubby to call so I can google the news channel. I found some articles in The State and the Post and Courier newspapers, unfortunately when I went to try to post them I havent had 15 post so the site will not let me do it yet. I searched under "John Ozmint" in the newspapers and a few articles came up discussing budget shortfalls and the Department of Corrections. If anyone can post them, please do!!! Tell me what yall think as the residents of the state of SC. Im not really familiar with the ongoing affairs of the state and who represent it. SO ANY INfO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THanks TO ALL!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Faith~Hope~Love

inloveandlonley, here are a few web pages. I'm not finding much on SC, more on other states tho. I'm not in SC, so I haven't heard anything on the news stations about the early release. Most of what I find is from last year. I wish my man knew what news channel the heard this from so I could check it out! I know it is probably wishful thinking about all this, but I will not give up hope If I find anything new i will post it or if anyone else finds anything new on this, plz plz plz post it.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11678487
http://scdp.org/news/scdemsnews/241/
http://www.thestate.com/local/story/1071911.html
http://www2.wspa.com/spa/news/local/..._budget/10795/
Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 AM

Spell it "Jon" when you search instead of "John."
cbdaniels05 (12-31-2009), inmatemama (01-01-2010)
Old 12-31-2009, 11:24 AM

Has anyone heard anything about the prison over crowing?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:25 AM

Where can i find out more abot the prison over crowing or prison release info?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:27 AM

My man has about a year left do you think he will get released earily?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:11 PM
inmate Mama

We're all hoping for the same thing, but we don't know until it actually happens... Keep posted, and watch for updates... Please continue to keep this in your prayers everyone... It can be very powerful, especially when sooo many prayers go up for the SAME THING! May God's will be done!
inloveandlonley (01-03-2010)
Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 AM

Good morning!!! Go scstatehouse.gov (sorry can't post links!!!) and look under the citizen's interest tab...scroll down to the Sentencing Reform Commission which was last updated on Dec. 22, 2009. They are scheduled to meet on Jan. 6, 2010. There are a list of recommendations including changing some crimes from violent to non-violent and they address prison overcrowding...Everyone should read this information and pay attention to what is to come in the next couple of months. I will continue to look for more information and keep everyone posted.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Faith~Hope~Love

Here is that website for you. There is another meeting on Jan. 11 also. On the note posted on here from the website says the meeting is this year, 2010, but the link on this website below that takes you to these notes say 2009. I do believe it is suppose to 2010 tho.
Thanks for finding this!

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/citizens...ingReform.html

SENTENCING REFORM COMMISSION
At 10:00 a.m., Work Group 1 will present its recommendations to the full Commission.  After a break, at or around  1:00 p.m., testimony will be taken from interested parties in person or by written submissions regarding proposed recommendations from all 3 Work Groups that the party supports or opposes.   

A list of the recommendations from all three work groups is now available on our website, at http://www.scstatehouse.gov/citizensinterestpage.  Speakers will need to reference this document during the public hearing when discussing recommendations they support or oppose.  If providing written testimony, be sure to have enough copies for both members and staff.  The time allowed for each speaker will depend on the number of parties wishing to provide testimony.   
Wednesday, January 6, 2010
10:00 a.m.
Room 308, Gressette Building

Sentencing Reform Commission:
Senators Gerald Malloy, Jake Knotts, and Chip Campsen
Reps. Murrell Smith, Doug Jennings, and Keith Kelly
Justice Donald Beatty, Judge Aphrodite Konduros, and Judge William Keesley
Governor's Appointee:  Jon Ozmint

Senate Attorneys: J. J. Gentry, Katherine Wells
House Attorneys: Bonnie Goldsmith
Judicial Attorneys: Stephanie Nye
The Following User Says Thank You to cbdaniels05 For This Useful Post:
inloveandlonley (01-03-2010)
Old 01-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Faith~Hope~Love

So, I was just now on the phone with my fiance. This guy comes in the phone area freaking out like crazy and shaking. He said he just saw on the local news down there, either cbs or fox, that they were calling for immediately release of 3,500 inmates. Well, of course, I can't find anything on the internet. Anyone down there in SC, if you've seen this, will you post it? This is exciting to hear, but so frustrating cause I don't know whether or not to belive it cause I can't see it!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdaniels05 View Post
So, I was just now on the phone with my fiance. This guy comes in the phone area freaking out like crazy and shaking. He said he just saw on the local news down there, either cbs or fox, that they were calling for immediately release of 3,500 inmates. Well, of course, I can't find anything on the internet. Anyone down there in SC, if you've seen this, will you post it? This is exciting to hear, but so frustrating cause I don't know whether or not to belive it cause I can't see it!
I know its so hard to believe something that you can't see in writing...I haven't heard that yet but I will get to "googling" and keep my ears open. My hubby did tell me that on of the Sargents said that they were about to get some new rules and the inmates would be really happy...he asked her what did she mean but she wouldn't elaborate on what they were. All I know is that I am praying and night that my hubby and alot of other inmates get to go home to their families. If i find anything I will try to post the link or give the web page. Let's just all keep praying....
Old 01-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Faith~Hope~Love

Amen! Keep praying!!! I don't like getting my hopes up, cause when I ususally do, somebody is always around the corner to burst them. I've always been told, never believe anything that you hear, but only half of what you see. I won't believe it until I see it. Lol, then I'll be freaking out and spazin'!
My man was in prison before we met and we have been together almost 5 years now and I've heard rumors thru the prison about the early release since I've been in this. Now that it's on tv they say, hopefully something is really coming about with this. And if something does come about, I hope they let the ones who really deserve to go home be released and not just some idiot that don't need to be on the streets.
Please do, if you see anything post it and I'll do the same. I'm just frustrated that I can't find what he was talking about last night.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:03 AM
inmate Mama

My Husband has a violent charge, so even though he's never even been written up one time, in over 6 years, he won't be eligible for this release if it goes through. Good luck to those of you who will be, though. You're in my prayers!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Faith~Hope~Love

Thanks! I still haven't found anything. I think the guys who heard this must been dreaming/hearing things, lol.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdaniels05 View Post
Thanks! I still haven't found anything. I think the guys who heard this must been dreaming/hearing things, lol.
I keep checking the sc state website and they haven't even updated the notes for sentencing reform commitee yet....other commitee's have met and they have updated their pages...i wonder what's up with that??? I going to keep searching for information and if I find anything I will post it....
Old 01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Carolina traveler

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyce42 View Post
My man has about a year left do you think he will get released earily?
Where is he located? If he's in SCDC this is probably not going to happen since the SC budget info just went out recently.