Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MISC. > PTO ARCHIVES > Prison Visitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Visitation Everything related to Visitation. Please be sure and check the Regional Forums for your local visitation forum also!

View Poll Results: How many days did it take to get approved for visits once you applied?
0-15 days 66 48.53%
15-30 days 30 22.06%
30-60 days 22 16.18%
60-90 days 9 6.62%
Beyond 90 days 9 6.62%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 PM

Exclamation How long did it take you to get approved for visits?

Hi guys, I posted this question in my regional forum as well but I'm also interested to hear from people of all states; Exactly how many days did it take for you to get approved for your first visit? I'm currently waiting on mine (25 days and counting since I applied online) and the waiting is driving me insane! Please share your stories! Thanks PTO family!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 PM
So busy waiting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisWerita View Post
Hi guys, I posted this question in my regional forum as well but I'm also interested to hear from people of all states; Exactly how many days did it take for you to get approved for your first visit? I'm currently waiting on mine (25 days and counting since I applied online) and the waiting is driving me insane! Please share your stories! Thanks PTO family!
I got approved almost exactly at the 60 day mark from when I submitted my application to visit ( I applied online).
I called several times during that last couple of weeks or so, they told me it takes 4-6 weeks from when they submit your background check, mine was submitted & everything came back good & was approved almost 4 weeks to the day that they told me the background check was sent.

Good luck to you! Hope you are approved quickly!

"A man has only one escape from his old self; to see a different self in the mirror of some woman's eyes"

Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Rideout-girl

WOW, you can apply on line! Not us the inmate has to put it in and it takes about a week.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:25 PM

Yeah...I've never heard of applying online for visits...the inmates in Texas have to submit a list of up to 10 visitors, complete with their address and they'll let the inmates know whether or not the visitors got approved and it's the inmates' responsibility to let their visitors know. I got approved about 20 days after my husband got transferred to his unit But I have to wait till he's finished with the classification process which is either 30 or 45 days till I can go see him.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:27 PM
HE'S HOME!
Donation Award 

I got approved about 10 days from them receiving my paperwork. One of the Members here told me to include a xexox copy of my license and a copy of a most recent utility bill and it would shorten the process. These documents weren't requested but I sent them anyway. And Viola! I was approved in record time. Praise God!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:15 PM

I got approved in about 5 days after mailing in my visitors request form. I was shocked because my daughter's visiting approval took 2 weeks. I guess because my Boo did not have anyone visiting or listed to visit that I was approved right away...

Nahum 1:7
“God is good, a hiding place in tough times.
He recognizes and welcomes anyone looking for help,
No matter how desperate the trouble.”
(The Message)
Old 12-04-2009, 11:46 PM

Hi, im new to this my husband, well we are not really married, his visitation time will be coming up soon next week, im starting to think they might not let me cause we are not legally married. Is there a way for me to find out, anybodys feed back will be great, soon to visit in Walker Sayle SAFP in Breckenridge Tx
Old 12-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Lemon's #1

I put 0-15,but I didn't apply;he did.I actually didn't get the chance to see him until after a couple of months later due to transportation,but I fixed that.I'm now driving and don't have to rely on anyone's ride.Atleast for now that is.

Our little bundle of joy!!!
Old 12-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Reuniting on 11.o2.12

0-15 here in Texas we don't have to apply. They basically have a time when they can change their list (every 6 months) and we just so happen to start talking when that time was here for him; so he added my info took about 2 days for him to submit the form and for them to add me in the system and on his list ;]
HEz STiLL MY B0O!!

0ur Motto is: "To be SUCCESSFUL, you need to build a LOVING foundation"
Old 12-05-2009, 12:35 AM

i aplied in Wv and it took from febr 4 till mid may to get approved. Mainly because i am not a us resident/citizen so they had some trouble finding out how to do the background check. Luckily i was being kept informed on the progress as the prison was very open about it and thus not worried .
Old 12-05-2009, 05:51 AM

He was transferred from county to a reception center and we filled the paperwork out there at our first visit. We got to visit that first day and his visit list follows him where ever he goes. He's at his 3rd facility now and we've never had a problem!!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:40 AM

In my state of Arizona, the inmate has to fill out and turn in his visitor request list which is up to 20 people, related to him or not, the potential visitor (me) has to fill out an application and the DOC has recently added to be able to do it online which that's what I did but that didn't seem to experdite anything! I call the prison every other day the answer is always the same; pending, they're waiting to get my paperwork back from the background check people, yet nobody seems to know how long this will take! On an official DOC paper, I saw something about it taking approx. 30 days which I think in my case it'll be that much longer, there was a hold up on my husband's side of things! He had turned in his 20's list to his counselor, that person never turned it in to the visitation Sgt. until last week!!! But none the less, thank you ladies for telling your stories and doing the polls!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:44 AM

Thanked 5,126 Times in 2,374 Posts

Ours was federal. The inmate must request it, submit your name, address, how they know you, etc. Then a form is sent to you. Similar information is asked. The form is sent back to a team leader who then does a complete background check. It takes about 3 weeks if they get the form right away and if the team leader turns in the paperwork.
Then the inmate is notified of your approval or denial, and if approved, the inmate notifies you in writing with your approval and visit days and times and what to bring with you for visit.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shms View Post
Hi, im new to this my husband, well we are not really married, his visitation time will be coming up soon next week, im starting to think they might not let me cause we are not legally married. Is there a way for me to find out, anybodys feed back will be great, soon to visit in Walker Sayle SAFP in Breckenridge Tx
If you're on his visitor's list then you'll be able to have regular visit but not contact visits. To get contact visits, you can submit an affidavit stating that you're his common law wife. You can find the affidavit on here. That's what I did, and I was just approved as his common-law wife

Old 12-05-2009, 07:19 PM

I'd wish we were living in another state! Only Arizona seems to be taking so long and making things complicated! When my husband was in County all I had to do was to fill out a form at every visit, my ID was ran through the computer and that was it! They were non-contact visits but I just don't get the big deal about contact visits and these background checks! They will strip search him before and after each visit, I have to pass the metal detectors and whatnot, why care about what's in my background history! Somebody who doesn't have a record could just as much attempt to do wrong at visit as somebody who has a record and I say that without prejudice as my record is clean! Time for DOC to make some changes, just IMO!

Old 12-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Account Closed

Default **

Omg, I was just involved in the whole drama of getting approved for visits!!! And it took like 3 1/2 months!!! uggg....I knew there was nothing on my background or anything crazy but the waiting was horrible so I totally know how you feel! And to make it even worse, my super cutie kept telling me "dude, this has never taken this long for anyone before...normally it's only like a month'!! um...thanks, baby!!!

The whole hold up was that all the apps have to be signed by this one deputy warden and he was on vaca for a few weeks around Thanksgiving...and no, there's no one else that can do it (I asked!!) It got to the point that the girls that work in the classification office knew me by name cuz I was calling to check like every week!

Hang in there! I'm sure you'll get approved in no time!
Old 12-05-2009, 08:06 PM
BUG from around the way..
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,307 Times in 1,650 Posts

Wow, I was ticked off at having to wait 2 weeks because that's much longer than it usually takes here. He submitted a list several times but it kept getting lost or screwed up. Finally after I called and was noticeably upset, the records woman asked him to resubmit a list on Monday and I was approved on Wednesday. So technically it took three days.

Usually I hate that we're doing this bid in Texas, man what I wouldn't do for a state with conjugal visits! I guess this time I'm just glad they make the visiting list so simple.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:52 PM

Yup, I keep hearing the same story from people where it took over 90 days; if there's just ONE person missing from the chain of things, everything gets put on hold?! I don't know, out here in the real world, when people with important jobs go on vacation or out on sick leave/emergency, they have a back up person to do the job for them! Last time I called the prison, the ONE lady that handles all of the visit requests sounded so swamped that my remark about the almost 30 day mark seemed laughable to her! Sad! Really is! At this rate, I won't get to see my Baby until 2010!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:31 PM

Does any1 know how long it takes to get approved for visiting at california state prison los angeles county in lancaster
Old 01-16-2010, 09:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisWerita View Post
It took 3 months for me to get mine, it took a long time but when i got it, it was GREAT ..
Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 PM
ghostsbabygirl

It took me about 6 weeks from when I sent it in. I was getting my 30 day free visits then had to wait about 3 weeks while we waited for me to be approved. I just kept bugging his CM. LOL!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Jason's Wifey

We don't have to do that in NY. Some facilities, like when he was in Downstate, I had to wait about 2 weeks before I saw him. But where he is now, I didn't have to get approved.

Mr. and Mrs......Officially married on July 28, 2010. Yayyy!
Old 02-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Closed

It was like 10 days. I dropped my completed form in the mail on a Monday holiday and by Thursday the following week, got the word I was approved. I am in Cali and he is in MN so it did take a couple days to even get there.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:09 PM
~MrsCarron~

About 10 days
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM

45 days exactly! WAY TOO DAMN LONG! lol