Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:51 AM

Exclamation Getting a state ID when you are released

Hi,

My brother is getting released from LA county jail (after being transferred there for his resentencing from Folsom Prison). They're sending him down to LA county without anything but the clothes on his back, so when he gets out he wont even have a prison ID! How can he get a CA state ID so that he can travel (or pretty much do anything)?

Can anyone help??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 PM

Default Id

Will he have his birth certificate and social security? If so I believe that he can take them to the DMV office and they will issue him a State ID.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,437 Times in 800 Posts

if he doesn't have his birth certificate he can order a 'certified' copy, or you can do it for him online. with that he can get a state id at the dmv. it's also best to make an appointment over the automated phone system with the california dmv before you go in, it will decrease the wait time dramatically. then within 2 weeks he should receive his id. good luck.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Anthony's Mom

I think what you are saying is they will release him from county and how will he get home with no id right?!?!

I am sorry I don't have the answer to your question. I know that when they release them from prison the CO's usually make sure they get where they are going.

If it were me I would figure out what method of transportation he will be using (grayhound, amtrak etc.) and then call them and explain the situation and find out what can be arranged for this. I know there are ways around needing id to travel, it just depends on what method of travel he is using.

Then once he gets to where he is going he will have to get an id. Last time I replaced mine it took less then 2 weeks to get in the mail.

"God's will won't ever take you where Gods grace cannot protect you."

"A successful corrections system doesn't grow, if they were correcting anybody, they'd shrink." ~Stephen Richards
Old 02-17-2010, 10:16 AM

Can they get a state ID when they are in Prison? I cant figure out how to get him on a plane on the day he is released. Do airports except prison ID?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,122 Posts

If he has ever had a California Driver's license or ID card, he can go to DMV and get a California ID without a birth certificate or SS card.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If he has ever had a California Driver's license or ID card, he can go to DMV and get a California ID without a birth certificate or SS card.
Can he get it from a Camp?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:23 PM

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,122 Posts

no, he has to wait until he paroles
Old 02-18-2010, 09:16 AM

I spoke with my guy last night and Yes at some camps they do take them down to the DMV to get an ID. Maybe his camp is the only one but High Rock does get them an ID. I thought I was crazy because when I went to visit I was speaking with two COs and I was asking lots of questions they told me not to worry about that when it gets closer they take them down to the DMV, but then I started thinking maybe I heard wrong.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccigirl View Post
I spoke with my guy last night and Yes at some camps they do take them down to the DMV to get an ID. Maybe his camp is the only one but High Rock does get them an ID. I thought I was crazy because when I went to visit I was speaking with two COs and I was asking lots of questions they told me not to worry about that when it gets closer they take them down to the DMV, but then I started thinking maybe I heard wrong.
His parole agent should also give him a paper to take with him to DMV to get his license/ID card at a reduced rate. I think he will needs to just ask his agent for it.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

As for using the prison ID to get on a plane. Yes I have known or heard about a bunch of guys that have been able to do it. I was at the airport yesterday and all they say they require is a state issued ID. Well the state runs CDCr so I guess they consider that a state ID.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:45 PM

Default No law or regulation requires photo ID to board an airplane

Quote:
Can they get a state ID when they are in Prison? I cant figure out how to get him on a plane on the day he is released. Do airports except prison ID?
There is no actual law or regulation requiring that photo ID be presented in order to board an airplane (though various difficulties are encountered when trying to fly without one), and you may wish to contact the airline to determine the other ways in which a passenger may satisfactorily identify him- or herself prior to boarding. But a prison ID should be acceptable (if it can be sneaked out),* since it's issued by the state.

For further info see:

Can you board a plane without ID?
http://www.sivacracy.net/archives/002939.html

How to Board a U.S. Plane Without a Gov't ID
http://www.pinkthunder.com/pinkthunder/2007/01/how_to_board_a_.html

Your papers please: TSA bans ID-less flight
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13739_3-9962760-46.html

In a major change of policy, the Transportation Security Administration has announced that passengers refusing to show ID will no longer be able to fly. The policy change, announced on Thursday afternoon, will go into force on June 21 [2008], and will only affect passengers who refuse to produce ID. Passengers who claim to have lost or forgotten their proof of identity will still be able to fly.”

Thus, the TSA requirement is not that ID is required, but rather that a passenger who has an ID cannot board an airplane if he or she refuses to show it.

South Bay Scott

* See this post showing various ways to retain a prison ID: http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5147288#post5147288
The Following User Says Thank You to South Bay For This Useful Post:
riccigirl (02-23-2010)
Old 02-23-2010, 09:24 PM
te quiero siempre

Quote:
As long as you have a PERMANENT address to MAIL the ID too, you are fine.... they can get their ID with the help of Camp personal... but otherwise, you have to make an appointment (or stand in line) at the DMV... and they will MAIL it too you... again, you need an address... homeless people need not apply...

I personally was kind of amazed that you had to WAIT for an ID to be MAILED to you in Cali... I live in Wisconsin and when you go for your ID, you will leave the office with your ID.... they print them right there.... I assume it is to prevent fraud of some sort....
But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings of eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31
Old 02-24-2010, 08:57 AM

Look at this site. The info was taked from the site today. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/acceptable_documents.shtm If you read the second paragraph it reads "Passengers who do not or cannot present an acceptable ID will have to provide information to the Transportation Security Officer performing Travel Document Checking duties in order to verify their identity." In the event he has release papers and anything else that corrections provides him I suspect his identity can be quickly verified. IF he ever held a California driver’s license or ID card and he can find the number, it also might help as the information is still in the Cal DMV computer including his picture and the fact it lapsed while his release papers show he was incarcerated.
The Following User Says Thank You to CCWFer Friend For This Useful Post:
South Bay (02-24-2010)
Old 08-14-2010, 02:17 PM

I had to make arrangements for an inmate released that had to fly home. When making reservations you have to let reservation clerk know that he is being released from a state prison and will be accompanied by the Sheriff. He will need his prison ID and release papers to board the plane. When you make the reservation you have to know the release date and time from the prison and make reservation in enough time for the CO to transport the inmates there and wait to board.

I am not sure how each facility operates, but then you have to send the plane reservation to RR dept for his file. They need to know who they need to transport to the airport, etc.

I hope this helps.

MSJ 41
Offender services

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaa View Post
As for using the prison ID to get on a plane. Yes I have known or heard about a bunch of guys that have been able to do it. I was at the airport yesterday and all they say they require is a state issued ID. Well the state runs CDCr so I guess they consider that a state ID.

Last edited by MsJ41; 08-14-2010 at 02:19 PM..
Old 08-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Account Closed

My husband has used his CDCr ID to board planes. Never has he needed a CO or sheriff. That is not necessary. Sound like that is to be transported to another facility or something.
Even to this day he uses his Id for other things, even to board planes when he's been released for awhile.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,968 Posts

I know of a guy who was released from firecamp. They drove him to the airport and just dropped him off. He boarded the plane with his ID. I really do not think the CO would of even been able to stay there with him cause his plane was delayed and it was the middle of fire season and he was needed back at the camp right away. All my friend did was give him the info of the flight over the phone and he picked his ticket up at the airport.

I really can not see a CO from lets say SQ drive someone all the way to SFO or Oakland Airport and then wait around while he goes thru security the drive alone is over a hour then going thru sercuity depending on the time of day can take a long time. They probably just take them to the bus station where they can get on the airporter to the airport.

Last edited by Shari; 08-14-2010 at 07:58 PM..