Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

South Carolina Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all South Carolina prisons.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:25 PM

Default Pre-Release Centers

What are the difference in the level 1 camps? Some are pre-release where inmates 'rollover' to a paying jobs and some places are work camps where they pick up litter. I know they have to work for free before rolling over to a paying job. But are some places different than others.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 09:19 PM

Level 1 prisons are minimum security (1B).

Pre-Release Centers are are also minimum security, but are even lower than regular minimum security (1A). I can only speak for one, but at least one (Palmer) does not have a perimeter fence. The rules are obviously not as stringent either - since it is a pre-release center.

Note that everyone does not "max out" from a pre-release center. In fact, certain crimes are not even eligible to go to pre-release.

The "outside jobs" such as at restaurants or what-have-you are for those that are in pre-release centers that have "rolled over." Again, everyone is not eligible. Rolling over happens very late into a sentence, so the inmate has likely worked for free at the prison for the duration of their stay until rolling over.

I hope this makes a little bit of sense.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyneedsdad View Post
What are the difference in the level 1 camps? Some are pre-release where inmates 'rollover' to a paying jobs and some places are work camps where they pick up litter. I know they have to work for free before rolling over to a paying job. But are some places different than others.
Yes, the criteria for rollover is different in each pre release center. At Coastal you have to work for free for 1/2 of your remaining sentence until you rollover. Non paying jobs inclide litter crew, landscaping, office help and dormcleaners. When you rollover you will have a paying job. Approximately 1/2 your pay goes back to the prison for room & board and misc charges. The rest goes into your Cooper and savings plan. Lower Savannah has a 90 day rollover regardless of your sentence time remaining. I'm not familiar with the other camps. The guards at these places look for violations, cell phones, drinking, smoking and they will ship you as soon as they get the chance. The conditions were better than any other prison and violence is minimal.