Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

CDCR - What You Need to Know Information relating to the California Department of Corrections & Rehabilitation. Q&A for those new to the CDCR system should be posted here.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM

Default Any new info on dropping credit percentages?

Do any body have any information on the 85% issue going on with c.d.c.? This is one of the most important thing that i will like to know ... This one has the most significant meaning to me and the kids...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs.andre For This Useful Post:
BOOBSGIRL1990 (11-17-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Teenage LOVE Turned Solid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.andre View Post
Do any body have any information on the 85% issue going on with c.d.c.? This is one of the most important thing that i will like to know ... This one has the most significant meaning to me and the kids...

You and I both would love this info. That rumor was going around when my husband was in the county fighting his case and that was 7 years ago. But everytime I ask around about it on other groups no one seem to know or heard anything. In fact all I ever hear about is the three strikes reform. No offence to anyone but don't you think the public would rather reduce 85/80 to 65/60 the sentencing law applied to the second striker than reform the entire three strikes law. Maybe someone will come by and share some info he or she may have.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 18,160 Times in 7,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOBSGIRL1990 View Post
In fact all I ever hear about is the three strikes reform. No offence to anyone but don't you think the public would rather reduce 85/80 to 65/60 the sentencing law applied to the second striker than reform the entire three strikes law. Maybe someone will come by and share some info he or she may have.
Nope, I don't think the public would rather do the early releases. There is some mentality among the public that once someone is sentenced, they shouldn't get out early.

Also, 2nd strikers are sentenced under the 3 strikes law. So until they reform that, 2nd strikers will continue to be sentenced to twice the usual sentence if it's a second offense. And those same crimes will be included.

Personally, I think reforming the 3 strikes law to remove the non-violent/non-serious crimes would be pretty damned easy. You go down the list of crimes and delete any that are not violent or serious. I could do it in less than 5 minutes.

As to the OP's question. We will all know - without a doubt - if and when the legislature votes to drop the percentages. You won't need to hunt around for this info. It will be all over the television IF it ever happens.

Last edited by Terry; 11-17-2009 at 01:59 PM..
Old 11-18-2009, 11:58 AM

Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,467 Posts

85% means the inmate is doing time for a violent crime. I'ver never heard a whisper of hope that the legislature intendedd to give those convicted of violent crime additional credits. (A number of years ago, credits were determined by work time credits rather than using conduct credits. When that change was made, and we changed policy to award to conduct credits, it then became important to the legislature to distinguish between violent and non-violent crimes.)
I don't think that there is much of a chance that any legislator would want to reduce sentences for violent criminals. The TV campaign against such a move would be easy to orchestrate. Pick out the 20 most violent, frightening, barely-human examples and point out that any particular polictian would like to turn them lose YEARS earlier if that's Ok with the voters. No one could stand up to that political heat.
The issue of whether it is a good idea is a different discussion. I think the answer is "sometimes yes/sometimes no". If we were to get away from determinate sentencing, that'd mean going back to parole boards and indeterminate sentencing. A parole board could in theory make judgement calls and do earlier releases in some cases. However, that's in theory. In practice, a parole board member is a political appointment; and when we replaced that the system things werre so messed up the whole justice system was ready to implode. No one could settle a case, because parole would set a prison term based on the original charges and police report (not based on the negotiations and plea.)
There have been plenty of discussions about perhaps not imposing strikes on non-violent non-"serious" crimes. No effort has been successful to date, however. You are correct that if these reforms did pass, they wouldn't help someone doing time for a violent crime.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gryphon For This Useful Post:
light at end (11-18-2009)
Old 11-18-2009, 08:04 PM
CA, LASO, site sug. SUPER MOD

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,858 Times in 10,401 Posts

pshhhhhhhhhh
yeah like they know the difference between violent and non violent.

There is a nap for that

The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalker For This Useful Post:
BOOBSGIRL1990 (11-18-2009)