Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk > GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

GPT Phones, Mail, and Visitation Discussions Please post topics or discussions here that do not fit in the appropriate state or federal forums.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 AM

Default Who Runs The Prison Mail Room? (And Other Mail Questions)

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask if any of you know who operates the mail room? Are they regular staff members/officers or do inmates run them? Does it vary by prison? Do any of you know if Corcoran's mailing room is run by staff or inmates?

Also, do your loved ones protect your letters from other inmates? Do they keep it in a secure place where no one can have access to them? For the people who get mail sent directly to your homes, do you ever feel worried that another inmate might "find" your information and get to you somehow? Do you trust your loved one to protect you in that way? Has anyone had experiences with other inmates going through other inmates property and exploiting their mail?

Just some questions I always think about... Please share... sometimes I get worried.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Stormy41Mom

Thanked 1,133 Times in 801 Posts

The mail room is run by the prison. Inmates have no access to the mail room. The inmates have a locker once they are mainlined at most facilities. They are provided a lock to use, some use it some don't. Your loved one will do his best to protect your letters and info. Most of them will tear off the return address and flush it down the john. I myself got a PO Box so no one will have my home address. Most inmates will not go through another's mail but there are always a couple that will try. If they are caught they are dealt with quite harshly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvia For This Useful Post:
Jillian (10-28-2009)
Old 10-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Recidivism Battler
Donation Award 

It happens all the time. Flush the addresses. But it really isnt something you need to worry about. A lot of times even if someone gets your address they aren't necessarily going to write. Not only could it cause a problem for him/her, but it is against prison policy and could end up being a new charge.

The Following User Says Thank You to soon2Bsentenced For This Useful Post:
eternally17 (10-31-2009)