Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ILLINOIS > Illinois DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Illinois DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Illinois Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:50 PM

Default How do I purchase a TV for an inmate

My friend has been in the system now for 19 months with no tv. Granted not a huge issue, but I'd like to give him one for Christmas. Anyone know how to do this? Do I just add money to his acct, and if so, how much does it cost? Any advice would be welcome, as I'd like this to be a surprise!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2009, 07:56 PM
Registered Ole Fart User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroys Lady View Post
My friend has been in the system now for 19 months with no tv. Granted not a huge issue, but I'd like to give him one for Christmas. Anyone know how to do this? Do I just add money to his acct, and if so, how much does it cost? Any advice would be welcome, as I'd like this to be a surprise!
Many prison canteens do sell small television sets. Some may be only battery operated and some with wall plugs. Many are likely the see-thru kind due to prison security.

Also, most prison regulations do allow inmates to receive such things as TVs as long as they are mailed from a company that deals specifically in the business of giving people a way to send stuff to their inmates. Also, the mail rules generally allow an inmate to receive items mailed from a recognized place like Amazon, Best Buy, etc.

The best suggestion is to ask your inmate to provide you with the printed list of items available for purchase from the prison canteen. If a TV is on the list, you'd have to send the $$ to his prison account so he could purchase it, thereby runing the Xmas surprise. Also contact the specific prison to ask the question about his receiving a TV from a recognized source.

Every state and every institution within the state have different rules.

GLBT men and women should be treated with the same respect as everyone else.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:59 PM
10,000 Lifetimes Together

You would have to add money to his account and he will have to purchase it. The TV's are 180.00, but it needs a couple wires to go with it, so I say about 190.00

Just send the money and tell him, it's a X-mas gift, he'll understand why you couldn't send it yourself.