Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Employment Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:49 PM

Angry Help/I lost a job because of a misdemeanor charge

i have a fiance in prison... however about 2 yrs ago (when i was 18) i got arrested for stealing at a kmart i worked aT..... (i know stupid) i went to jail overnight and got released on o.r. We were basically just ringing things up for cheap (me and some associates) well my dad was pissed but didnt want me to have a felony so we hired a twenty thousand dollar lawyer (which i am slowly paying off in payments to him) and my charges were dropped to 1 COUNT 1 misdemeanor of theft...I was told. "oh a misdemeanor is nothing " and all this stuff.. I work at ihop right now but am wanting to get out and get a mon through friday job with good pay and benefits.. recently i got hired at walgreens mail service, a good job with benefits good pay and a place to grow and even become certified pharmacy technician and they will pay for school. I was so happy.. not to mention the mon thru fri work schedule is perfect to visit my baby on the weekends.. i put my two weeks in at ihop and then i got a call back saying that due to my background i couldnt get the job..IM so depressed cuz of this ihop took me back, however since i quit and came back i am not getting a lot of hours at all. And now im finding that this misdeamor might be more of a problem then i thought. I really need a steady pay check right now...and that job would have been soooo perfect... also i really want to go to school to be a nurse.. Can anyone give me so insight or advice on how this is going to effect my future and what jobs are not going to hire me .. Also im wondering should i share this info at the interview or wait until they ask or do a background check???? Im really down cuz of this.... Someone help.... Also i want to try to get my misdemeanor "set aside".. Does anyone know how that works...??? IN arizona were im at the DONT seal records... They have a set aside program tho.. however the prosecuter has to agree to it.. and im not sure how realistic that is since they wanted to give me a felony in the first place... SOMEONE HELP....!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2009, 04:09 PM

Oh my goodness, I feel so bad for you. I am currently in the process of enrolling in school to go to nursing school and before you can be accepted they do a background check, maybe you should talk to a counselor first before you spend your time and money in school to be told after you have spent your money and time that you can't be accepted (now this is the Texas law) I don't kno about any other state.

Now Job wise, I can't even get a job without a record so I do feel bad for you. Hopefully in the future you can explain yourself in your applications or at the interviews, and sometimes you have to wait so many years in order for the charge not to show up because some jobs only go back so far. Like so jobs ask "have you ever been charged with so and so in the last 5, 10 years?" So maybe it will be a few more years before you can actually get a decent job, but I hope that's not the case. Good Luck....and Keep Your Head Up.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:53 AM
Lemon's #1

I can relate and they say that a misdemeanor is nothing ,but I beg to differ.I was seeking employment all last year had interviews and everything,but I think because of my background. I wasn't hired.So I had to resort to working for Avon.Which really isn't working out for me.I do intend on going to school for medical billing and coding and pray that I can be eligible for a job in that field.Thanks for the thread because I know that alot of people don't realise that something as small as a midemeanor can really pose an negative impact on ones finding and keeping a job.

Our little bundle of joy!!!
Old 10-26-2009, 12:10 PM
a Realist NOT an enabler!

I am going to guess since you were arrested for stealing from the store you worked at...Another store isn't going to take that chance.
I would try something not in retail
. Go to your states web site and see what is required to get Clemency.
And another poster mentioned checking before you enter nursing. Most states will not give you a license with an arrest.

Good Luck...Don't give up. Keep trying.

I do realize you said mail service....Walgreens must have either no arrest...or no retail theft policy.

Poor planning and irresponsibility on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!

Last edited by Lesliezack; 10-26-2009 at 12:11 PM..