Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama News & Events
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Alabama News & Events Current news items and information on events related to the Alabama prison system.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Thanked 4,505 Times in 1,245 Posts
Default Alabama Prisons Cut Corners on Milk, Fruit to Ease Money Crunch

This is a apparently a fairly recent news article from the Birmingham News that was reprinted in the August 2009 ADOC newsletter.

I just shook my head while I read it.

Milk - eh, and yes, they can buy it on the store if they want (and we families and loved ones on the outside will have to foot the bill for it out of our own pockets like we do practically everything else but the bare minimum items ADOC provides).

But taking away the fresh fruit is something else. I know in 20 years of one inmate who constantly craves fresh fruit and vegetables, because they get such stuff so rarely. Or maybe I should rephrase that - fresh fruit and vegetables that aren't on the verge of rotting/gone bad, which is more often than not the case.

There is mention that they haven't heard any complaints about it. Well of COURSE not. Because most of those inmates know it's not going to do any good to complain anyway, especially the ones who have been in the system any length of time.

And all this talk about how ADOC inmates eat better than a lot of people on the outside. Yeah, they probably eat better than truly poor and destitute people, okay. I guarantee you most ADOC employees would refuse to eat every day most of what those inmates are served day after day. If my inmate loved one had no one on the outside to depend on for money for the store and the snack line, he'd literally be surviving on biscuits and other bread items, because those are often the only thing that's edible on the tray.

And how lots of other people would like to get the kind of foods (and listing the kinds of foods) that ADOC inmates get for meals. Yeah, that all looks good on the surface. The list of items LOOKS great.

Any ADOC inmate who's worked in the kitchen can tell you how lots of those boxes of food in the kitchen are stamped "unfit for human consumption". Even as recently as last year this is still going on.

The amount of food, especially when it comes to meat and poultry, that is served to these inmates that's barely edible - and often just about rotten - is unreal.

Yeah, it all looks like a solid, healthy diet on the surface when you list the menu items. Pitiful that so much of it is unfit, or barely fit, for human consumption.

If they were being fed decent food at meals, ADOC wouldn't be making so much money on the stores and the snack lines - all of which we, the loved ones on the outside, are paying full price for, 100%, out of our own pockets.

Then again, I suppose if they were serving them decent food, all these guys wouldn't be eating a majority of their meals off the snack lines and the store that families and loved ones on the outside are paying for 100% so that would be even less profit to ADOC. If families and loved ones on the outside weren't paying for all those snack line and store items, as well as the exorbitant cost of phone calls (in this day and age when long distance calls hardly exist anymore & international calling is cheap, outside of prison) - if it wasn't for all the money directly coming out of OUR pockets, ADOC's budget would probably REALLY be hurting.

And waste - I wonder how much of that ADOC food is wasted and thrown away because it's inedible or almost rotten. Unless you're at Kilby (where the food is better, for whatever reason), most of those guys are eating the majority of their meals from store food and snack line food. Except the ones who don't have any family or loved ones on the outside to support them at all who are probably eating ADOC food most of the time to keep from starving.

So yeah, take away milk and fresh fruit and keep feeding them mostly cheap stuff that's impossible for anyone to eat unless they absolutely have to, that's mostly going to get thrown away by anyone who doesn't have to survive 100% on ADOC food. That makes sense.

We family members and loved ones on the outside, as usual, are the ones who are going to end up paying for this. Doubly paying for many, those who are also Alabama taxpayers, of course.

Propaganda always looks pretty on the surface, that's why it's called propaganda. Ugh.

Quote:
Alabama Prisons Cut Corners on Milk, Fruit to Ease Money Crunch
Tom Gordon - News staff writer Birmingham News

When it comes to balancing the Department of Corrections’ budget, not even the menu is spared.

Earlier this year, the department cut back on the amount of milk and fresh fruit it makes available at inmate meals. The steps are expected to save the prison system close to $700,000, or about 4 percent of the $17.5 million it expects to spend this year to feed the more than 25,000 prisoners in its institutions. The menu changes were just one of the steps the department took to reduce the gap between the $465 million it had requested from the Legislature for fiscal 2009 and the $403 million it ended up with. The department still faces a $10.3 million deficit for this year, but Corrections Commissioner Richard Allen hopes to cover most of that with federal Byrne Justice Assistance Grant funds from the governor’s office.

Meanwhile, wardens say they’ve heard no griping about the menu change from their inmates. “We haven’t had any real complaints,” said Cheryl Price, warden at the Bibb Correctional Facility in Brent.

“We haven’t had any problems with it,” said Elmore Correctional Facility warden Willie Thomas. “I thought we might, but I found out right quickly that they weren’t going to complain about it.”

Leeposey Daniels, who runs neighboring Draper Correctional Facility, had a similar comment. He also said inmates eat better than many people on the outside.

Under the menu changes, inmates now receive an apple or an orange once a week, compared to twice a week before. That change is expected to save the system about $250,000. The amount of milk has been reduced from seven servings per week to three. That cutback is expected to save about $425,000. Inmates can still buy milk from the prison canteen if they want it.

The addition of fresh fruit was one of the changes Allen made after taking the commissioner’s job in February 2006. “I wanted to tweak the menu a little bit and improve it somewhat,” Allen said. “You know, some of the wardens didn’t like that because the inmates are bad to take fruit and make hooch out of it ... but I wanted to give them fresh fruit because I think it’s good for them.”

“Our inmates really eat a very, very solid diet, a healthy diet ..., probably more healthy than you would eat,” Daniels said. “I don’t know too many people that can get up in the morning and have grits and eggs and some kind of meat - most times it’s turkey or chicken - juice, biscuits, butter. Most folks can’t afford that every meal. I couldn’t, and if I could, I probably wouldn’t have the time.”

With the arrival of summer, Daniels said his Elmore County facility typically gets fruit the system does not pay for. “Sometimes we get peaches donated,” he said. “Sometimes we get watermelon and cantelopes donated. Of course, we grow some watermelons ourselves.”

Thomas said problems other than food have been more pressing for him, Daniels and Leon Forniss, the warden at Staton Correctional Facility, the third prison on the same site as Draper and Elmore. “We have been flooded with cell phones and marijuana,” Thomas said.

Last edited by Lysbeth; 10-04-2009 at 12:39 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Daddy's Home

Exclamation Food

This is absolutely rediculous. My man says that the eggs- are liquid eggs; the milk is powdered milk; the meat is grade f (which is worse than dog food at grade e); and the bread is donated from bakeries that are 3-5 days old. So what kind of good meal is this? I bet if the warden had to eat this shit he would definately change the damn menu. it makes me sicik. My man makes rings, necklaces, and bracelets for money or items like soap, food, and deoderant. I hate thi sdamn system and I wouldn't wish it on anyway - these prisoners are human too - no matter what they did to get in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to BubblesGurl For This Useful Post:
GSPack (03-03-2010)
Old 10-09-2009, 11:37 PM
vamom

It would be nice if some international prisoner abuse group would look into it
The Following User Says Thank You to rkered For This Useful Post:
GSPack (03-03-2010)
Old 10-16-2009, 03:45 AM
English Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,523 Times in 6,748 Posts

The conditions are awful and the food shit. My pen pal in Holman said they stopped the fruit and told them it was because too many inmates were making julep!!!! Any excuse I guess..

The Following User Says Thank You to lisainengland For This Useful Post:
GSPack (03-03-2010)
Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 PM

That is awful on the cut back especially for the ones that may have a calcium defitency. Now, I know when my husband was in prison he did say some inmates was makng julip, and it is sad a few punishes everyone. I know when I went to see my husband he graved meat and milk.

I Love you Donovan... Always and Forever!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to i love donovan For This Useful Post:
GSPack (03-03-2010)
Old 11-13-2009, 04:02 AM

Had to look up what julip is. An example of learning something new every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to godparent For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (11-16-2009)
Old 11-13-2009, 05:45 AM

Default Is it really food ?

My guy says that they no longer have real anything except chicken. No juice, fruit, milk, meat, etc...has been in a long time and has seen many changes. I recently found the affects of being on a soy diet and the stories are scary. Weston A Price org. is actually representing inmates in Ill. Kimberly Karte is the media relations person and I have contacted her to get more info. Check it out ..it will scare you..something needs to be done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Loveofmylife32 For This Useful Post:
GSPack (03-03-2010)
Old 02-28-2010, 11:40 AM

My husband is diabetic and the food they serve is horrible even the diabetic meals. Something needs to be done. I try to keep money on his books where he can get things off the store, but what about the guys whose families can't afford to send money?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:24 PM
English Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,523 Times in 6,748 Posts

Sadly many guys suffer because they dont have anyone to help them . This is a pathetic situation but if they complain the food gets worse (if thats possible .
Everything about the prison system is wrong from the medical care right through to the visiting yard. My pen pal told me recently that the guys in G.P at Holman are getting cable t.v but d/r will not be allowed it

Old 03-03-2010, 07:42 PM

Now I understnad why the imates fight for a chance to be on a Karios Inside Weekend when they are held at the participating prison here in the state. The food they get during the 4 days consist of fresh fried chicken, sandwiches and homemade cookies. We serve cookies: chocolate chip and peanut butter by the dozens to the imates all made from scratch. Volunteers across the state make them by the dozens and they are passed on to the Kairos Inside team for each weekend. All the food that is part of the weekend is bought buy cash donations raised by the Inside Karios group and cooked on the outside of the prison. Drinks include coffee and ictea and koolade; all of which is donated., as Kairos is a non-profit organization.

Karios Granny
Old 04-28-2010, 12:28 PM
blondesurf

I say let the non violent inmates free and that would save the state 42.00 a day per prisoner. and feed the violent ones food that is for HUMAN CONSUMPTION!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:30 PM
blondesurf

I say that they free the non~violent inmates... this would save the state of Alabama 42.00 a day per inmate... there is a lot the state could do with this money. and feed the violent inmates REAL HUMAN CONSUMPTION FOOD~
The Following User Says Thank You to luxure_lollipop For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (05-02-2010)