Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region III Facilities > Region III Work Release Centers
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Region III Work Release Centers Information and Discussion for the following facilities: Atlantic WRC, Bartow WRC, Bradenton Transition Center, Bridges of Orlando WRC,Bridges of Pompano - Turning Point WRC, Cocoa WRC, Ft. Pierce WRC, Hollywood WRC, Kissimmee WRC, Largo Residential Re-Entry Center, Miami North WRC, Opa Locka WRC, Orlando Transition Center, Orlando WRC, Pinellas WRC, Pompano Transit Center, St. Petersburg WRC, Suncoast WRC, Tarpon Springs WRC, The Transition House, West Palm Beach WRC

Old 09-23-2009, 12:24 PM

Lightbulb Ft. Pierce Work Release Q&A

Are you confused about the rules? My fiance just got to the work release center yesterday. He called me from a State of Florida number (not collect) and was able to talk to me for about 5 min. He let me know what he needed and what I was allowed to bring. Later, he had to use the pay phone to call and the calls are collect. He's not allowed to call 800 numbers. I went to see him today and this is what he was allowed to have:

2 shirts (dress shirt, t-shirt, collared shirts, etc)
1 pair of shoes (I brought him his pair of Nikes from home)
a watch under $50
a belt
under $100 (in increments of $5 or less-I brought rolled change for the soda machine and pay phone)
7 plain white t-shirts (Hanes or Fruit of the Loom packs)
7 boxers
7 pairs of socks (I brought no-show socks)
2 pairs of shorts (basketball shorts, jean shorts, etc)
2 pairs pants (jeans, slacks, etc)
bottle shampoo
razors (I brought disposable)
hair clippers
plastic hangers (they must hang everything up)
wallet
social security card
cigarettes (I brought 2 packs but he could have more)
toothbrush
toothpaste
twin sheets (I brought blue and they have to be flat sheets-no fitted)
pillowcase
2 towels
2 washcloths
deoderant
batteries (I brought AA)
walkman/headphones (the one he had from jail)
bar soap (I brought 2)
toilet paper (I brought 6 rolls)

The stuff you bring can be used or new. I just put it all in a garbage bag and told them at the front window I had it for him. You have to have your ID and be on his visitation list. When I brought the stuff, we were allowed to sit outside the front door (by the parking lot, yeah that's right, no fence!) for about 30 minutes while they approved everything. You can hug and hold each other-making out is probably not ok

He told me he can request more stuff and once it's approved, I can bring it. I'm also allowed to bring coffee, powdered creamer and sugar/sweetner once it's approved. He was not allowed to have a pillow and the clothing could have brand symbols and writing on them but could not be profane, or elicit drugs or alcohol. The sizing and style of clothing doesn't really matter. They can have carpenter jeans, faded jeans, and long shorts. I was in walmart buying the stuff for him and had a question about sizing so I called the WRC. The officer who answered the phone actually transferred me so that I could ask my fiance over the phone. Good thing to or he would have been wearing highwaters for pants.

They go to Kmart for shopping and are not allowed to buy food when they go, only powdered drink mix. When I come for visitation, I have to bring any food we're going to eat but it has to be in clear plastic containers. I can even bring pizza or wings!

They are placed in a room with 2 other guys and 2 rooms share 1 bathroom. The newest guy gets the top bunk, then moves to the bottom bunk, then to the single bed. Jobs are scarce, big surprise. You are permanent party first. He's working in the kitchen and makes $20 a month. There's a bunch of industrial stuff around but it's all closed. I saw two inmates riding their bikes away from the center, on their way to work. He has been told that if you don't find a job, eventually they send you back to prison.

The number for the WRC is 772-468-3929
The address is:
1203 Bell Ave
Fort Pierce, FL 34982-6599

Also, as a heads up. They pick them up on Mon and Thurs from RMC Work Camp. When he was moved from the prison, he was sent to SFRC first for about 1 1/2 weeks. It was really nasty there. He was only able to call me about 3 times. I usually speak to him every day. There's only about 4 phones for a hundred guys and they're sometimes broken. I sent him money via JPAY on the Friday after he was moved and he didn't get it on his card. Instead, DOC puts it on a check and he gets the check after he gets to WR. Apparently, they only do this one time so, had I sent the money after that day, it would've gone on his card. Any money sent to them after their account is "zeroed out", they can use until they get their check. They are moved to Ft. Pierce WRC from SFRC on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Well, with all the questions I had prior to his move, I hope this info helps somebody.
The Following User Says Thank You to belle_mere For This Useful Post:
BGsWIFEY (09-23-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 PM
MRS BG ❤ Thee Original

I think you came to make this thread for me lol wen the time comes my mans gonna try to get in there. its right down the street from my house
Old 09-24-2009, 08:10 PM

I am going back to visit my fiance this weekend so I will update afterwards. He told me we are allowed to bring games and toys for the kids. The dress code is the same. I know there's a lot of questions about fiances being sponsors so I will update this thread with that info too. His roomate has a fiance that he's been with for 10 years and they have a kid together. He said all he had to do was have her contact the Major and explain their situation. Then she was approved. I live with my mom and I have no criminal record. My fiance's family lives in Indiana. We have known each other for 12 years and have been together for 4 years. He has a son who he had custody of before he went away because the mom is addicted to drugs. We asked the judge if I can bring his son to see him and they won't let him out of the county. He hasn't seen his dad in 1 1/2 years. I currently have his son every other weekend for a day. If his dad can't come home, he won't see him for another 14 months. My fiance sent a request to the Major explaining our situation and the Major wrote back "have her send in the paperwork and I'll review it". My mom is also writing a letter to the Major for us. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anyway, I'll post when I get approved or denied.
BGsWIFEY (09-24-2009)
Old 09-24-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGsWIFEY View Post
I think you came to make this thread for me lol wen the time comes my mans gonna try to get in there. its right down the street from my house
I'm so glad I was helpful. I guess if anybody can help out just one person through this mess of a prison system we have, it's worth a few minutes of writing. In case you were wondering how long it takes, it took my fiance about 4-5 weeks to get moved after he signed up. They say if you go to S. Florida, you get moved quicker. He said two guys went back to prison this week for "failure to adjust". That's what they call it when they don't get a job. They don't get in trouble, they just get sent back. With you living right there, hopefully you'll be able to help him out with getting a job. If I'm not mistaken, you can drive him as long as you're an approved sponsor. Please post any questions you have and I'll see what I can answer of the next few months. Good luck with everything!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:55 PM
His Wifey

thanks for the information..... my man is waiting (any week now) to be moved to there! He is a lucky one, as he already has a job lined up. That info is very much appreciated as I need to start shopping!!! How far are you from Ft Pierce.

Although the miles separate us, we are never far apart!

Old 09-25-2009, 02:30 PM
.......♥............

Wow, I use to live in Ft.Pierce and never new of this facility....glad to see Ft. Pierce up in this thread!

Good Luck, Ladies!
Old 09-29-2009, 02:59 PM

I live in Palm Bay. This is probably the furthest north you can go for visits from this center. Not Melbourne! It has to be an hour or less. I'm glad I am helping. I'll post more later, gotta go!
Old 10-01-2009, 10:59 PM

Ok, more info. The first month there are no furloughs for inmates. After that, it's a 4 hour visit, 6 hour visit, and then 8 hour visits. He was told you can get a hotel room if you can't go home for the shorter visits. They are allowed time to go to the store once a week but have to call from that place's phone when they get there and before they leave. They have "community" bikes at the center that the inmates can use. I also found out that inmates can have more clothes once they get a job.

Visitation is nice. There's actually grass and flowers. They don't hover over you like they did at RMC but there is a camera and they still do count. It's kept clean. You can bring a cooler with your food in it. I went earlier in the morning and there were no other visitors for 2 hours.

That's all for now. I will update again asap.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belle_mere For This Useful Post:
BGsWIFEY (10-02-2009), jlo3586 (10-03-2009), Richs_wife (10-03-2009)
Old 10-25-2009, 04:34 PM

Well, I was approved as a sponsor! You are allowed to do fuloughs anytime between like 8am and 4pm, I think. This includes during the week. That way, if you have a job where you work during the weekend, you can go home during the week. On your first furlough, you need to arrive about 10 min early so the guard can go over the rules with you. Then you both sign the log and go! I've heard some people complain about them taking up your time with lost paperwork and such but there really wasn't any paperwork. They had a "file" with all my info in it sitting there and they looked at my ID. When they're home, they are allowed to use the phone, but not on behalf of other inmates. Once you're an approved sponsor, you can also take them to the doctor, etc.

I think I forgot to mention that there are no drink or vending machines at visitation. There is a microwave. The inmates can also bring out their own drinks in a cup. You can also bring in a pen/pencil and paper if you need it for a game or something. And if your butt gets sore from sitting on those benches, bring a small pillow! No cellphones are allowed and they do ask about that.

If your guy needs any more drinks, t.p., cigs, etc., you can bring it to them during visits. However, they have to put in the request ahead of time and the items must be exact. If it's not on the list, they can't take it back.

If anyone is trying to locate the Center, it is just to the left of "White City Cemetary" on Bell Ave. It's across the street from NAPA Auto Parts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belle_mere For This Useful Post:
BGsWIFEY (10-25-2009), Richs_wife (10-28-2009)
Old 11-19-2009, 03:03 PM

can anyone advise me of the best wrc that would be closest to ft. myers?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 AM

Heyy everyone. My man is about to be transfered to Orlando Reception Center. From there he doesnt know where he is going but hes really going to be pushing to get into a work release prison. I want him to go to martin or st lucie county so he is close to me. Can someone please explain to me a little bit of the process of getting into a work release center? Does he like apply to them, how likely would he be to get into one, and how long does it usually take? If someone could please answer these questions it would be greatly helpful.
Thanks
Kiersten <3
Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Hi, my names is Kiersten. You seem to know alot about the system and how it goes. I actually live in st lucie county and am hoping that my man can get into ft pierce of somewhere near it.
He is about to be transfered to Orlando Reception Center. From there he doesnt know where he is going but hes really going to be pushing to get into a work release prison. Can you explain to me a little bit of the process of getting into a work release center? Does he like apply to them, how likely would he be to get into one, and how long does it usually take? If you could help me out with any of this it would be so greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kiersten <3
Old 03-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Dawn loves Michael always

His custody must first be reduced to community. Here is some information: http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/inmates/wr.html

Old 05-04-2010, 11:46 AM

Here's another update. The phones at the center are payphones. No more Correctional Billing! However, I know when my fiance calls me directly and pays, he get's 3 minutes for $1. I don't know if this is because I'm an hour away or not. If he calls me collect, it'll only be a dollar something for 15 minutes. He's been working since I posted last. He works doubles if he can so he doesn't have to be sitting at the center. The more you work, the less trouble you can get in.

He now comes home once a week for what ends up being 6 hours after our drive there and back. You cannot stop during your drive. You have to call when you get home and before you leave. They call during your visit, usually once. Sponsors are allowed to drive the men to and from work and to look for jobs, go to court, or go to the store. If they are looking for a job, you have to return to the center between each place. You are still allowed to bring them stuff if they have a request, only on the day of the fulough.

They now say that everyone who has a job needs to buy their own bike. It's appearing that some of the guys who don't have jobs are flattening the tires on all the bikes so they don't have to go out and look for jobs. They leave the non-center bikes alone.

My man has to ride a bike 9 miles both ways to work every day through downtown. Two nights ago, he was hit by a truck with 2 Mexicans (on purpose) who then got out and jumped him. He said they just kept yelling at him in spanish and he didn't understand what they wanted from him. Well, let's just say that after they hit him one time and didn't knock him out, they regretted it. That's probably the worst for me, worrying about him riding his bike through that part of town. He's tough, but when someone's got a knife or a gun, what happens? The guys aren't allowed to have a weapon.

I've seen several guys go home and I've seen several get sent back days before they were supposed to go home. The guards actually drive around and check on people and some have been caught out and about instead of where they are supposed to be. No one has gone home early, unfortunately. My guy still has 6 1/2 months left. He got there a while before his release date but some guys get there only a few months before. The good thing is that he's saving money. They take 45% of your income for your stay, basically. They take 10% for savings, and 10% for court costs. So if you have a $450 check: $202.50 goes to them, $45 dollars goes into savings, and $45 goes to court costs. They only take another 10% for child support if they have the court order in their hands. The remainder of the check goes into their inmate account that they can draw from. They are allowed up to $75 a week out of their account. In addition, they can send money home, but they can only take 10% of what's in the inmate account. So if the guy has $1000 in their inmate account, they can only send home $100. When the guy goes home, they go to the bank to withdraw what money is in their inmate account. The money in savings get sent home within 30 days as a check.

The center takes 45%, up to $240, a week out of checks. However, there is some debate over whether they can take $240 a week, or a pay period. My guy gets paid every two weeks and they are taking up to $480 for the 2 week period.

Oh yeah, if guys have over 6 months left and get sent back, they go back to the prison they came from. If it's under 6 months, they go to Martin CI.
BGsWIFEY (05-04-2010)
Old 06-25-2010, 08:56 AM

Default phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle_mere View Post
Here's another update. The phones at the center are payphones. No more Correctional Billing! However, I know when my fiance calls me directly and pays, he get's 3 minutes for $1. I don't know if this is because I'm an hour away or not. If he calls me collect, it'll only be a dollar something for 15 minutes. He's been working since I posted last. He works doubles if he can so he doesn't have to be sitting at the center. The more you work, the less trouble you can get in.

He now comes home once a week for what ends up being 6 hours after our drive there and back. You cannot stop during your drive. You have to call when you get home and before you leave. They call during your visit, usually once. Sponsors are allowed to drive the men to and from work and to look for jobs, go to court, or go to the store. If they are looking for a job, you have to return to the center between each place. You are still allowed to bring them stuff if they have a request, only on the day of the fulough.

They now say that everyone who has a job needs to buy their own bike. It's appearing that some of the guys who don't have jobs are flattening the tires on all the bikes so they don't have to go out and look for jobs. They leave the non-center bikes alone.

My man has to ride a bike 9 miles both ways to work every day through downtown. Two nights ago, he was hit by a truck with 2 Mexicans (on purpose) who then got out and jumped him. He said they just kept yelling at him in spanish and he didn't understand what they wanted from him. Well, let's just say that after they hit him one time and didn't knock him out, they regretted it. That's probably the worst for me, worrying about him riding his bike through that part of town. He's tough, but when someone's got a knife or a gun, what happens? The guys aren't allowed to have a weapon.

I've seen several guys go home and I've seen several get sent back days before they were supposed to go home. The guards actually drive around and check on people and some have been caught out and about instead of where they are supposed to be. No one has gone home early, unfortunately. My guy still has 6 1/2 months left. He got there a while before his release date but some guys get there only a few months before. The good thing is that he's saving money. They take 45% of your income for your stay, basically. They take 10% for savings, and 10% for court costs. So if you have a $450 check: $202.50 goes to them, $45 dollars goes into savings, and $45 goes to court costs. They only take another 10% for child support if they have the court order in their hands. The remainder of the check goes into their inmate account that they can draw from. They are allowed up to $75 a week out of their account. In addition, they can send money home, but they can only take 10% of what's in the inmate account. So if the guy has $1000 in their inmate account, they can only send home $100. When the guy goes home, they go to the bank to withdraw what money is in their inmate account. The money in savings get sent home within 30 days as a check.

The center takes 45%, up to $240, a week out of checks. However, there is some debate over whether they can take $240 a week, or a pay period. My guy gets paid every two weeks and they are taking up to $480 for the 2 week period.

Oh yeah, if guys have over 6 months left and get sent back, they go back to the prison they came from. If it's under 6 months, they go to Martin CI.

Hoping u can help me with phone question. I live in NC. Son is at WPB WRC. I bought a calling card and was going to give him the number so he could call me. Will this work? Otherwise I am hearing he won't be able to call someone out of state. thanks for help.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 AM

At Ft. Pierce WRC, they can use calling cards. However, it CANNOT be an 800 number. I don't know why it matters but I do know that people have been able to buy calling cards online that have a local area code. I never looked after I found out how cheap a call was. I'm not sure why he wouldn't be able to call out of state. I live out of the county and my guy can call me collect. If he just got there, give it a few days and the other guys will let him know how things work.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:48 AM

The calling card I had gotten was 800 number so that was a waste. I just have cell phone now and out of state calls are expensive, especially if collect. I am hoping his father, who lives in Palm Beach, will get a calling card for him with 561 area code. If not I will look on line.. Thanks for u r help.
Quote:
At Ft. Pierce WRC, they can use calling cards. However, it CANNOT be an 800 number. I don't know why it matters but I do know that people have been able to buy calling cards online that have a local area code. I never looked after I found out how cheap a call was. I'm not sure why he wouldn't be able to call out of state. I live out of the county and my guy can call me collect. If he just got there, give it a few days and the other guys will let him know how things work.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I purchased a calling card on line with 561 area code as was suggested. My son' s father went to visit son at WPB WRC this weekend. He was reprimanded by the facility for trying to give son the number to use to call me. They said if son had been caught with this number or attempting to use it, he would have been sent back to prison. So now what do I do? Any advice? Or is the calling card issue not supposed to be used but is.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:08 AM
Jamie's Mom

Default Fort Pierce Work Release Info

Good Morning, My son just got approved to go to this center. Does anyone have updated info such as bed capacity, turn over, how long is the transfer wait, how's the job market (stupid question I'm sure). Etc. Anything you can tell us would be great. My son has been in since he was 19 and we're so close to him coming home. He's asked me to find out everthing I can for him. Thanks so much!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:16 AM
His Wifey

My husband was at FPWR from March 2010 to July 2010. The place is ok. You get to bring your own food to visit. Jobs here (I live here) are very, very hard to come by. They do contract out to some places, but in all honesty they give those jobs to the ones they favor. The CO's there are fairly nice and do not bother you at visit at all! They violated my husband because he couldn't pee for them on a drug test. They gave him 1 hour and 1 glass of water. If there is anything else you would like to know, let me know

Old 11-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Jamie's Mom

Thanks, do you have any idea approx how many beds? Also how long do you think he'll have to wait to get transfered?
Old 11-15-2011, 07:33 AM
His Wifey

If I am not mistaken, about 100+ beds, and as far as the wait, at least 6 months I would say but that is not written in stone.

The Following User Says Thank You to jlo3586 For This Useful Post:
gabbex (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Jamie's Mom

Thanks again....I appreciate it ALOT!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Account Closed

I am from Port St Lucie about 15mins from the center in Ft. Pierce. My husband was just recently downgraded to community custody level. Although I no longer live in the area, we would love for him to get transferred there seeing his mother lives extremely close. We are having to wait for medical clearance for the work release center but it doesn't look hopeful that that is going to happen. Plus, the way DOC sends our loved ones so far from home, it would be a HUGE miracle if they would bring him to his hometown to finish his sentence. As far as jobs there, there are not many at all. I moved so that I could find a job. I had a better time finding a job in the small mountain town in NC than I did in St Lucie County which is rather large. But when there are 400 people apply for the same 1 position avail. it makes it very difficult. The center is in a little area called white city and it is in a decent part of town. It is surrounded by fruit packing houses and it is near the Tropicana plant. It is off US Highway 1 on a road called Bell Ave. There are some very economical motels very close to stay at when visiting. Just don't stay in North Ft. Pierce it is not a very nice area. If you stay south of Edwards road you will be fine. I know I'm putting the cart before the horse since your son is not there yet but if I can help with any infor I would be happy to help. As far as beds I don't know the answer to that. It is rather small so I would imagine that 100 beds would probably be about right. Good luck to you.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Jamie's Mom

Default Ft Pierce Work Release

Well my baby boy finally made it today. Can not tell you how relieved his father & I are but when I spoke to him (my son) tonight he was very down. He's scared now that he wont be able to find a job and get sent back to prison. Can anyone tell me anything about this place for jobs and what time frame do they give them to find work. Any words of advice, ideas or encouragement are greatly appreciated. He graduated high school and had never been in trouble, now he's a convicted felon doing time over these damn pills the kids are all hooked on now. My husband said it probably saved his life, I on the other hand have lost alot of mine. I feel for you all,it just breaks my heart seeing such good young people in there and seeing the hurt in their families eyes at visits.....It gets so overwelming sometimes, my eyes see this world in a whole new light....G