Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > NY DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

NY DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the New York State Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the NY system should be posted here.

Old 09-11-2009, 11:33 AM
LaDy YuMYuM LoVes BoNeZ

Default Difference between medium & minimum security prisons?

OKAY SO I AM REALLY FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW.. i know minimum security has got to be better but still I DONT KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS.....! my man just sent me a letter today talking about his status just got dropped down from medium to minimum! which mean at any time he COULD be switched prisons.. wtf ?!?! im like freaking out right now... im just not learning more about the "medium" prison he is in.... AND NOW HES talking about them possiably moving him!........ and PLUS we are getting married october 2nd? is there any way he could get moved before that and we lose our date????

Please if someone knows anything about the minimum prisons PLEASE pm me or reply to this or something!! im like freakin here! i have so many questions but i dont know where to go about them..

Last edited by PhilsWifey4Lyfe; 09-11-2009 at 11:34 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 12:11 PM
GRATEFUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsWifey4Lyfe View Post
OKAY SO I AM REALLY FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW.. i know minimum security has got to be better but still I DONT KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS.....! my man just sent me a letter today talking about his status just got dropped down from medium to minimum! which mean at any time he COULD be switched prisons.. wtf ?!?! im like freaking out right now... im just not learning more about the "medium" prison he is in.... AND NOW HES talking about them possiably moving him!........ and PLUS we are getting married october 2nd? is there any way he could get moved before that and we lose our date????

Please if someone knows anything about the minimum prisons PLEASE pm me or reply to this or something!! im like freakin here! i have so many questions but i dont know where to go about them..
Go to the BOP website and it will explain all of this to you. Hope this helps
Old 09-11-2009, 12:31 PM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 18,160 Times in 7,204 Posts

It's very common for an inmate to change security level and then need to be moved. Not all prisons have minimum yards. Or Medium or Max for that matter.

Not sure about how long it will be for him to move. His counselor may be able to give you a better idea.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:37 PM
LaDy YuMYuM LoVes BoNeZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcw View Post
Go to the BOP website and it will explain all of this to you. Hope this helps

what is BOP? and what is the website?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:39 PM
LaDy YuMYuM LoVes BoNeZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALiferzWife View Post
It's very common for an inmate to change security level and then need to be moved. Not all prisons have minimum yards. Or Medium or Max for that matter.

Not sure about how long it will be for him to move. His counselor may be able to give you a better idea.

his counselor is a bit...... shes a very mean person!!!...and i know she wont give me no informatioN UNTIL we are married any ways.. if they are going to move him, they are going to do it fast because he only has a little less than 3 years left

Old 09-14-2009, 10:26 AM

He should be able to sign a release for you to talk to his counselor. Then they will have to talk to you, if you're married or not. Just like a doctor's office, its a privacy policy and is in place to protect your fiance's rights, so if he signs a release, it would probably help. :-) Good luck with the wedding, congrats!
Old 09-14-2009, 10:37 AM
LaDy YuMYuM LoVes BoNeZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjg225 View Post
He should be able to sign a release for you to talk to his counselor. Then they will have to talk to you, if you're married or not. Just like a doctor's office, its a privacy policy and is in place to protect your fiance's rights, so if he signs a release, it would probably help. :-) Good luck with the wedding, congrats!

id rather not talk to his counselor; shes a very mean person LOL we are going to wait to see what happens.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:22 PM
-----------------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 18,160 Times in 7,204 Posts

The BOP (Bureau of Prisons) is for Federal prisons - not where your guy is, which is a state prison.

You need to check the NY DOC site to learn about facilities with minimum security yards.

I'm moving this to the NY forum where I think you might get more responses.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Missin' him always...
Donation Award 

i think the difference between medium and minimum is a minimum is more like a camp and the rules are more lax... like u can bring food in off the street and what not. i think if he moves facilities you will lose your date for marriage.... have him check....
Old 09-15-2009, 05:17 AM

As fpswifey said, the restrictions are less in a minimum, there are no walls or fences.

A medium can have fences, usually there are no walls.
Mediums are set up dorm style and some have multiple person rooms

Minimiums are usually all dorm style.

Some, not all minimum facilities allow food from home to be brought on visitis.

When a Security Level is changed, it does not always mean the prisoner will be moved to a facility of that level.

It all depends on what programs are needed for that person, for instance:
a certain program may not be offered at Minimum facilities, therefore he would remain in a Medium.

The Directives on Placement indicate "of Maximum Security or lower" or "of Medium Security or lower".

With all those minimum camps being closed or in the process of closing, it may be necessary to have minimum security level prisoners in a Medium facility.

The best bet is to just wait and see if he is transferred and that will answer your question.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:35 PM

good luck
Old 02-02-2011, 10:30 PM

Hi,

I'm going away next month and what I do know it is almost impossible to be sent to a minimum security prison in NY state, in fact 3 minimum security facilities are closing soon there won't be any left.

The total population of minimum security male inmates is very small now just a few hundred, and to become one of them is VERY tough.

But again this is what I've been told some from a reliable source and some from the "internet"
Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 AM
Survivor and Thriver!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,186 Times in 2,979 Posts

Minimums will almost be a thing of the past soon in NY. People who would have gone to a minimum largely get treatment programs and such now. Most minimum status prisoners go to mediums.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."