Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW YORK > New York Prisons & Jails > Other New York Prisons & Jails
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Other New York Prisons & Jails This forums is for conversations, discussions and information for all New York Prisons and Jails that do not have a dedicated forum.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:24 PM

Default Nassau County Dart Program

Hello,

I am due to begin serving a 6 month sentence in Nassau County this month. I was told that I will be in the Dart Program in the new satellite building. Can anyone help with any info on the program? Anything helpful on Nassau County Jail would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you,

-Steven
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2009, 07:31 PM
He's my world

My hubby did the DART, he said the dorms in the DART are better. You go to meetings I think three times a day. not miuch to do but play cards, watch tv and I remeber he used to play handball. Phones are pretty open the calls can get prcey and they are 15 mins , but you can call cell phones they just have to set up a pre paid acct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensono View Post
Hello,

I am due to begin serving a 6 month sentence in Nassau County this month. I was told that I will be in the Dart Program in the new satellite building. Can anyone help with any info on the program? Anything helpful on Nassau County Jail would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you,

-Steven

The Following User Says Thank You to clockwise61006 For This Useful Post:
stevensono (09-11-2009)
Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 AM

Thank you Clockwise Do you remember how long the program is for? I should be in NCC for 4 months and the director of the treatment place I've been going to said she would get me in right away. Wondering if I would spend the entire 4 months in dart?

Also, is there a gym there? Is there a limit to how many books I will be able to receive? Did he have his own cell or cell mate or was it a dorm room? It's my first time doing time so I don't really know what to expect. I really appreciate you taking your time out
Old 09-11-2009, 05:55 PM
He's my world

He didnt stay in that dorm the whole time ..long story. So I'm not sure. I dont know if there is a gym he never mentioned it to me. I've attached the rules I recieved when he was there like I said the only i know that changed since then was that they were allowing sneakers (white ones) He started out in a dorm type thing, then a double cell, then a single cell. Its no problem its nice to be able to help someone

Quote:
Thank you Clockwise Do you remember how long the program is for? I should be in NCC for 4 months and the director of the treatment place I've been going to said she would get me in right away. Wondering if I would spend the entire 4 months in dart?

Also, is there a gym there? Is there a limit to how many books I will be able to receive? Did he have his own cell or cell mate or was it a dorm room? It's my first time doing time so I don't really know what to expect. I really appreciate you taking your time out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nassau rules.jpg (104.5 KB, 137 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to clockwise61006 For This Useful Post:
stevensono (09-11-2009)
Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 PM

Thank you, I really appreciate this info. I hope his time passes quickly and everything you and your husband wish for comes to fruition
Old 09-12-2009, 03:55 PM
He's my world

good luck to you also

Quote:
Thank you, I really appreciate this info. I hope his time passes quickly and everything you and your husband wish for comes to fruition

Old 12-15-2009, 10:13 AM

yes. i was in the dart program for 7 months and it really helped me alot and for being in jail its the most productive thing you can possibly do while sitting up in there. the director of the program gary priboy i cant say anything but good things about, hes a really nice guy, very profesional, very helpful, and he works with the inmates on a daily basis, and they have other counselors and speakers do come in everyday and hold a.a/n.a meetings. i have garys number in my cellphone you could probably call and leave him a message if you want it let me know i call him here and there to tell him how im doing. theres no gym theres a workout/dip bar in the dorm and in the rec yard, u can play b-ball and handball, 2 t.vs, cards, radio, read, its boring as fuck sometimes but its jail what do u expect lol. durin the worst time of my life though i honestly met some really good people and still have some friends in the dart program right now im waiting for them to come home. dart is not like other parts of the jail, there is literally no stealing and if someone does theyre packed up very quickly, very little fighting, basically its very different from general population in the manner people act and present themselves, every1 for the most part wants to go home, and get a good letter for the judge saying theyre in the program so people behave. ofcourse there is some people genuinly tryin to better themselves and change and if youre 1 of them like myself you will find those people, the expeditors is a great start. when you first get to the dorm youre doublebunked for about anywhere from 3 weeks to 7 weeks, which sucks... especially if you dont like your bunky.. it goes in rotation to get moved into a single cell. any questions bro.. lemme know
Old 03-31-2011, 11:54 AM

Hello, I am scheduled to go in the dart program for 30 days. Is there any advice anyone can give me about stuff they wish they knew before going in? Thanks!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:22 PM

Default Dart

Hey, I was wondering if you still had Garys Contact Information, or Karens.. My brother got arrested and i would really like to get him into the d.a.r.t. Program, i know people who have been in there and i can prob say it saved their lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees09 View Post
yes. i was in the dart program for 7 months and it really helped me alot and for being in jail its the most productive thing you can possibly do while sitting up in there. the director of the program gary priboy i cant say anything but good things about, hes a really nice guy, very profesional, very helpful, and he works with the inmates on a daily basis, and they have other counselors and speakers do come in everyday and hold a.a/n.a meetings. i have garys number in my cellphone you could probably call and leave him a message if you want it let me know i call him here and there to tell him how im doing. theres no gym theres a workout/dip bar in the dorm and in the rec yard, u can play b-ball and handball, 2 t.vs, cards, radio, read, its boring as fuck sometimes but its jail what do u expect lol. durin the worst time of my life though i honestly met some really good people and still have some friends in the dart program right now im waiting for them to come home. dart is not like other parts of the jail, there is literally no stealing and if someone does theyre packed up very quickly, very little fighting, basically its very different from general population in the manner people act and present themselves, every1 for the most part wants to go home, and get a good letter for the judge saying theyre in the program so people behave. ofcourse there is some people genuinly tryin to better themselves and change and if youre 1 of them like myself you will find those people, the expeditors is a great start. when you first get to the dorm youre doublebunked for about anywhere from 3 weeks to 7 weeks, which sucks... especially if you dont like your bunky.. it goes in rotation to get moved into a single cell. any questions bro.. lemme know
Old 06-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Survivor and Thriver!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,191 Times in 2,980 Posts

this post is a year old. Send a Private Message. also you could try looking up the DARt program.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 06-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtothec1113 View Post
Hey, I was wondering if you still had Garys Contact Information, or Karens.. My brother got arrested and i would really like to get him into the d.a.r.t. Program, i know people who have been in there and i can prob say it saved their lives

hey it's been a while since ive visited nassau, but my friend was in that program and he says most people get into it. it's purpose is really to keep the inmates busy during the day. they have counselors to speak to and they kind of just hang around instead of sitting in their cells. call the jail and ask them if there is someone who can give you more info. i don't believe it's hard to get into the program, but double check just in case.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:10 PM

Default Jails Rehabilitation and God

I am aware of this program because my husband was lost to us for drugs and crime ......He is back he has been drug free and he is the man I knew he was when I married him. God Bless You for the work you do and your wonderful program he has found himself and he is helping others I sometimes go to the meetings with him .

Thank you

Last edited by La señora Amor; 06-01-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 PM

Default Life changing

Unfortunately the correction setting is a revolving door where inmates are treated like cattle. In the correctional setting the only thing you are being prepared for is to come back to the same correctional setting. The system is meant to promote failure and not success. I was told this in the DART program for the first time in 2008.
I shook my head in disbelief this couldn't be the truth. In jail people find God. People get moments of clarity. The Truth is most people incarcerated suffer from drug and alcohol addiction. I've come to learn how dishonest this disease is. When your incarcerated you say things to yourself like "This was a mistake, its the other guys fault, this won't happen again. ETC. ETC." I know I'm not the only repeat offender.
What it takes to become honest with oneself is a journey. For me that Journey started with AA. Still today at times I find my self unsure. Push-up, Pull-ups, laps, "B-Ball", handball and cards are all well and good but not really what DART was designed for. You could do those things anywhere in the Jail. In any dorm. The Dart program brings AA meeting into the Jail. Outside speakers who share there experience, strength and hope in hopes of helping maybe just one person to find the truth.
Even by going to meeting and maybe becoming more truthful. You might still slip up. You might still get arrested. You might still have to pay consequences for you actions. I did.
You shouldn't be discouraged anything worth anything takes time to develop. Mark Bottoms use to always tell me threw fire cast gold. And i stand here today a convicted A felon with a important Job and people who trust him. I did this with AA. That's what makes DART important.
I still say in touch with Gary Priboy. And will be in his debt.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:41 PM

Default DART program

I understand there's a lot of talk about the DART program over at Nassau county. I spent 25 months in that facility and most of that time in the DART housing units. There were creeps that came and went in that program but I got the help I needed from all the different speakers from NA AA and local Christian groups. Gary Priboy, the program director, has all the experiences and credentials that make him uniquely qualified to run this program. As much as I hated being in the nasty Nassau County Jail, I consider myself lucky to have had an opportunity to change my world with the help of the DART program. I have every intention of going back in to speak to the men in DART program as I am now uniquely qualified to carry that message of hope back in to that place. I would recommend it to anyone incarcerated there, to get themselves transferred to 1 of the DART program housing units. It's open to any inmate looking for help. Take it from someone who's been there, Its the only ray of hope in an otherwise hopeless place of incarceration. I hope this post helps those with questions.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:24 PM

I can completely agree with bobby g, there is no place in NCCF that has the same type of environment as the DART dorms. For myself unfortunatly i have been to NCCF four times and I always took my jail experience as an opportunity to think about how I ended up in such a place. The last time i was incarcerated I entered the DART program and I started answering questions instead of how but why I got there and what I have to do to not return. I was introduced to the program of AA and it has changed my life. One of the main things that I learned is that it is a disease of my attitudes and behaviors and that I cannot make the changes that I desire alone. It doesn't make me any less of a man to ask for help. Gary Priboy points out that information is the key to sucess and that education is not based on what level of schooling you have completed but knowledge through experience and self effort. As long as you have a plan and stick to it anyone can change. I myself need to stick around positive people and take advise as opposed to doing things my way. So as I said the program has a different type of energy as soon as you enter the dorm and I would recommend it to anyone that wants to change there life for the better.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:39 PM

Default Dart program

I heard there is a long waiting list. Is that so? And not for nothing the whole facility should be a dart program.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:57 AM

Default How was it?

Hi Steven. I see your post was written a while ago and was wondering what your time in the DART program was like. I may be headed there. Any help would be appreciated. Hope all is well with you.

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you,

-Steven
Old 05-12-2014, 08:01 AM

Default DART Program.What's it like?

I may be going to the DART program at Nassau County jail. What's it like. I've read the posts here and some are kind of old. Wondering what to expect. Very nervous about this. Thanks!