Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions Post all legal information and questions here about laws in Michigan.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:39 AM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

Yes, we should be sending them to all of the committee members plus your own Reps

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryblocks View Post
I was wondering if we should keep send emails to Mark Meadows?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2009, 12:35 PM

Default All Judiciary Committee Member E-Mails

Thanks for lighting a fire under me Outraged. My boss just left to play golf on this gorgeous fall afternoon, so I had time to do this.

Here are the emails of all the members of the House Judiciary Committee and below them is a link to the House website where you can get the email of your own district representative.

Mark S. Meadows (D), Committee Chair, 69th District markmeadows@house.mi.gov
Ellen Cogen Lipton (D), Majority Vice-Chair, 27th District EllenLipton@house.mi.gov
Lisa Brown (D), 39th District LisaBrown@house.mi.gov
Bob Constan (D), 16th District bobconstan@house.mi.gov
Marc R. Corriveau (D), 20th District MarcCorriveau@house.mi.gov
Andy Coulouris (D), 95th District andycoulouris@house.mi.gov
Andrew J. Kandrevas (D), Corrections Reform Subcommittee AndrewKandrevas@house.mi.gov
Bettie Cook Scott (D), 3rd District bettiecookscott@house.mi.gov
Rebekah Warren (D), 53rd District rebekahwarren@house.mi.gov
Tonya Schuitmaker (R), Minority Vice-Chair, 80th District tonyaschuitmaker@house.mi.gov
Justin Amash (R), 72nd District JustinAmash@house.mi.gov
Joseph Haveman (R), 90th District Corrections Reform Subcommittee JosephHaveman@house.mi.gov
Rick Jones (R), 71st District rickjones@house.mi.gov
Eileen Kowall (R), 44th District EileenKowall@house.mi.gov
Tory Rocca (R), 30th District toryrocca@house.mi.gov

To find your Rep:

http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dmpdbd For This Useful Post:
HOPE4FUTURE (09-17-2009), missing_him79 (09-17-2009), PTO-97580 (09-17-2009), Troy'sfriend (09-17-2009)
Old 09-18-2009, 06:24 AM

I'm gonna go to.
I know there are not many of us on here really taking this seriously. We could use a lot more support letters. I have talked to a few of my close friends and a couple family members that have agreed to write something. Maybe some of you other girls could get support on this outside PTO?

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle...but just a reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpdbd View Post
Here are the emails of the two members of the correction reforms subcommittee:

AndrewKandrevas@house.mi.gov

JosephHaveman@house.mi.gov

I e-mailed both of these plus my own District Rep.

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle...but just a reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 AM

Default Judiciary Comm Meeting - Cancelled

I just received an e-mail advising the Judiciary Subcommittee Meeting to address HB 4497, 4498 & 4499 scheduled for 9/22/09 has been cancelled!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dwnrvr Duke For This Useful Post:
SMK52 (09-18-2009)
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 AM

I got it too. What on earth is going on?
Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 AM

So, is the October 7th meeting still on?

Old 09-18-2009, 11:50 AM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

Contrary to poular belief, I support these bills and have written numerous letters to these reps but I cant tell you from what I have seen in this process, it doesnt always take large numbers to get things done so dont let that stop what you have all started.

Well thought out, sincere testimony backed up by facts can easily sway these committees. Sometimes it only takes one member of a committee to get things rolling so dont give up because you dont have thoudands of supporters.

Hang in there

BTW, dont worry about the cancelled meeting. Thats not the one you needed to attend

Last edited by PTO-97580; 09-18-2009 at 11:51 AM..
Old 09-18-2009, 03:54 PM

I got an email from that Anna that someone came across on jpay and she said the meeting is now scheduled for Oct 6 @ 10:30. We will have to really be on top of the emails.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPE4FUTURE View Post
I got an email from that Anna that someone came across on jpay and she said the meeting is now scheduled for Oct 6 @ 10:30. We will have to really be on top of the emails.

So we are for sure the meeting is on October 6th now, is this for the meeting that was scheduled for October 7th or is this the meeting that was supposed to be next week?
This is gonna be hard for people to get work off with the days changing.
I'm confused as to who Anna is on J-Pay???

Old 09-18-2009, 05:29 PM

Hi.... I am Anna!!
Someone here found me on JPay, it is a service Michigan and other prisons now use for emailing inmates (they can't email back) and for sending money via credit or debit card online.
ANYWAYS--- I talked to the committee clerk this afternoon and she confirmed that the meeting for 9-22-09 @ 12:00 noon is off and that it is rescheduled for October 6, 2009. at 10:30 am I didn't ask her why.
I WILL BE ATTENDING THIS MEETING. I would love to see the room filled with supporters. If there is anyone coming from out of town please email me and maybe we can set up a meeting location. You do not have to speak to attend. You can submit a "card" of support. I believe attendance far outweighs letters of support, but this is reality and not everyone can attend. WE NEED registered voters with professional dress and appearance to come and speak if you can, if not just put on your Sunday best and show up to support us!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mayanna64 For This Useful Post:
froggy211564g (09-19-2009), HOPE4FUTURE (09-19-2009), missing_him79 (09-18-2009), Troy'sfriend (09-18-2009)
Old 09-18-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanna64 View Post
Hi.... I am Anna!!
Someone here found me on JPay, it is a service Michigan and other prisons now use for emailing inmates (they can't email back) and for sending money via credit or debit card online.
ANYWAYS--- I talked to the committee clerk this afternoon and she confirmed that the meeting for 9-22-09 @ 12:00 noon is off and that it is rescheduled for October 6, 2009. at 10:30 am I didn't ask her why.
I WILL BE ATTENDING THIS MEETING. I would love to see the room filled with supporters. If there is anyone coming from out of town please email me and maybe we can set up a meeting location. You do not have to speak to attend. You can submit a "card" of support. I believe attendance far outweighs letters of support, but this is reality and not everyone can attend. WE NEED registered voters with professional dress and appearance to come and speak if you can, if not just put on your Sunday best and show up to support us!

Hi, I do know what J-Pay is. I was just confused as to how someone found you on there.
So the meeting that we are still all planning on attending is on October 7th, correct?
What do you mean by "card" of support. I have a letter I have written I plan on taking, but don't really want to have to speak. I also have letters from a few friends and family members that I will bring.
I am out of town, I am in southern Michigan. I would like to meet others somewhere, so when a location is decided please let me know.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:03 PM

Hi Anna! Glad you found us here. Actually Anna found me on jpay after I posted the meetings on that site. BTW Anna, on jpay I'm Troy's Angel, on here it's Troy's friend

I would love to commit to a meeting but 10/6 is my 6 yr old son's b-day-turning 7 and it's a big deal when they're that age. HOWEVER...if I can get his dad to be at my house when he gets off the bus, I'm going to make the trip. I wish I could stay over for the 10/7 meeting, but on 10/9 -10/11 I've got a conference in Ypsilanti...........uuhhgg, too much too close together.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Donation Award 

Okay, finally had a chance to read through this thread.

The cards… When you go you can sign a card and state that you support whatever bill it is. It asks for your name and address. There is a box to check as to whether or not you wish to speak.

You can if you wish speak about any subject that is in front of that committee. So if say the Judiciary committee is meeting and you have a bill you wish to support and it has been sent to that committee you can speak about it even if it is not on the agenda for that meeting. Hence the "Any business properly before the committee"

Also, anytime the House or Senate is in session you may go to the chamber door file out a card and have a page deliver that card to the Representative or Senator. You may call out the one from your district and ask them to support whatever Bill you are advocating for. You may fill out cards to call the committee members out and advocate. They may not always be able to come out and speak to you. You may also stop by their offices and speak with their aides.

When you advocate for a bill do not get discouraged if you hit opposition. Take what they give you and come back with a response that allows them to see the benefit of a yes vote. Do your homework!!!

The Legal Services of Michigan put out an excellent pamphlet on Tips on Testifying:
http://www.lsem-mi.org/pdf/TIPSTestifying.pdf

I have found that it's best if you have several versions of what you want to say. Have the long version that you have how ever many copies they request to turn in. Then for your speaking have versions that fit within the time limit and a shorter version that runs 5 minutes or less in case that's all you get. You may know the subject backwards and forwards but when your told you have blank minutes you will need to pull out the most important points and the last thing you need is for your mind to go blank. If you are there and other people are speaking on the same subject have a notepad and take notes… Jot down on your speaking notes and adjust what you will say (As so and so has said… ). I am always nervous, have to have gum in my mouth (stuck in my cheek) and a water bottle. It's an unbelievable experience.

It's not about quantify but quality.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall.
~Confucius~
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mabear For This Useful Post:
froggy211564g (09-19-2009), HOPE4FUTURE (09-19-2009), missing_him79 (09-19-2009), PTO-97580 (09-19-2009), SMK52 (09-18-2009)
Old 09-19-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing_him79 View Post
Hope-I will help in any way I can, just let me know what I can do.
I wonder why the committee meeting for 9/22/09 for the bills was cancelled. Maybe it has to do with the budget for the new fiscal year and the fact that they have not come to a mutual agreement on it.

Any input on it? Just wondering.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelical128 View Post
I wonder why the committee meeting for 9/22/09 for the bills was cancelled. Maybe it has to do with the budget for the new fiscal year and the fact that they have not come to a mutual agreement on it.

Any input on it? Just wondering.

The meeting was resceduled for October 6th, but the other one is still on for the 7th.

Old 09-20-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanna64 View Post
Hi.... I am Anna!!

Okay, now that I read back thru this I'm kinda confused. Is it the October 6th meeting we are going to?
I thought it was earlier mentioned that one of the girls was told the meeting on the 7th was the one we should all be attending?

Old 09-20-2009, 03:32 PM

We're all confused! I don't think anyone has yet received definite confirmation on the 7th. Maybe they have combined them both together or maybe there will be one each day. Maybe we can find out more tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:54 PM

Okay - as I originally posted last week, the 9/22 meeting was a subcommittee meeting and that subcommittee only has 2 members. Mark Andrews' office confirmed to me that the FULL House Judiciary Committee would hear these bills at their regularly scheduled meeting at 10:30 a.m. on OCTOBER 7th. This is the one where we will have to do the most persuading. We want the FULL committee to give a positive vote to the bills and send them out to the House Floor for discussion and vote.

If you have to make a choice which meeting to go to - make it the one on October 7th. The subcommittee of 2 is probably just going to finalize a report to give to the full committee on the 7th. Yes, what they recommend is important, but the greater impact will come from what the FULL Judiciary Committee recommends to the House of Representatives. We need to get these bills out of committee.

None of the October meetings have been posted on the Legislative Service as of yet, but the information on the dates come from reliable scources. Now that is not to say that they won't change the dates around and do whatever they want anyway......but then what else can you expect, they are politicians.

I emailed CAPPS Thursday or Friday of last week about the October 7th meeting. Hopefully, they will send a representative also.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmpdbd For This Useful Post:
HOPE4FUTURE (09-20-2009), missing_him79 (09-21-2009)
Old 09-20-2009, 06:52 PM

dmpdbd...EXCELLENT idea on including someone from CAPPS. Let's hope they're able to send someone. Are they going to confirm with you ahead of time if someone is able to attend?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:39 AM

Since Cushinberry is the sponsor of these bills, I've emailed him to ask specifically if there was anything he would like us to say or present at the meeting. I'll let you know if I receive a response.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Troy'sfriend For This Useful Post:
HOPE4FUTURE (09-21-2009), missing_him79 (09-22-2009)
Old 09-21-2009, 07:44 PM

Troy'sfriend, That's a great idea!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:21 AM

Can we figure out who is going for sure on the 7th and come up with a spot to meet.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:22 AM

I will be interested to see if you get a response from Cushingberry's office. Whenever I have communicated with his office or him, all I have gotten is a "form" type letter with brochures.

Right now he is also very very busy as he is head of one of the appropriation committees working on the 2009-2010 budget.

Cross your fingers we get some worthwhile feedback.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:23 AM

Hope - a spot to meet is in your ballpark to decide.