Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions Post all legal information and questions here about laws in Michigan.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 AM

If I can get enough response from the loved ones including letters, pictures, etc. I will volunteer to go to Lansing on Oct 7th and present this to them. But it has to be worth my while. I think with them hearing the good time bills and Granholm proposing to the 85% that now is the time. But I can't do it alone without everyone's help. If you would be seriously committed to this cause, please post it on here and we can take it from there.

I would very much appreciate if these letters didn't just come from those of us that our loved ones are still incarcerated. I would LOVE to be able to take alot of positive stories from those like Tballa, Momto5, MrsSunny, Rag, and all others whose men are home and have made it back to society as productive citizens.

Last edited by HOPE4FUTURE; 09-10-2009 at 09:35 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2009, 10:22 AM

HOPE4FUTURE: I'm in! Regarding the pics...what would the purpose be? Also, did you read the compete 81 pages of the CAPPS article released in August? Maybe that should be presented as well with highlights showing increased time does not correlate with decreased recidivism. Just a thought. I would hope they (legislators) have read it, but for some reason, I doubt they have.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPE4FUTURE View Post
If I can get enough response from the loved ones including letters, pictures, etc. I will volunteer to go to Lansing on Oct 7th and present this to them. But it has to be worth my while. I think with them hearing the good time bills and Granholm proposing to the 85% that now is the time. But I can't do it alone without everyone's help. If you would be seriously committed to this cause, please post it on here and we can take it from there.

I would very much appreciate if these letters didn't just come from those of us that our loved ones are still incarcerated. I would LOVE to be able to take alot of positive stories from those like Tballa, Momto5, MrsSunny, Rag, and all others whose men are home and have made it back to society as productive citizens.
I will PM you about getting my story and supportive letter. Being that this is a budgetary concern as well ANY numbers or statistics that anyone can put forward for how TIS is affecting the MDOC overhead and backlog would be useful.

Hope: This could be a lot to take on for you. Don't hesitate to ask me for help with anything. I will do what I can.

Tsho
Old 09-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy'sfriend View Post
HOPE4FUTURE: I'm in! Regarding the pics...what would the purpose be? Also, did you read the compete 81 pages of the CAPPS article released in August? Maybe that should be presented as well with highlights showing increased time does not correlate with decreased recidivism. Just a thought. I would hope they (legislators) have read it, but for some reason, I doubt they have.
Troy's: Could you provide the CAPPS doc or link to it?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:25 AM

I never read the whole thing but many editorials recently speak of it that I have read. It would be a good topic to bring up just to remind them all.

The pics just kinda put a personal touch on the whole thing IMO so they can see that we're not all animals like many make the inmates and anyone that loves them out to be.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:30 AM

It would be good if anyone can provide the best short version of the report and also the stats of SO reports and anything else that would be useful. If you guys can send me things you think would be the most useful I could copy off enough copies to present to however many reps, etc present so they could all review the info.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

I believe anything that you want heard by the committee has to be sent in ahead of time to the administrative assitant. Before you go to all the trouble you need to contact them about submitting this stuff.

I know the last time I testified before the judicial committee, I had to submit everything beforehand

Last edited by PTO-97580; 09-10-2009 at 12:41 PM..
Old 09-10-2009, 12:55 PM

outraged, were they fairly cooperative or would they have rather not had you there?
Old 09-10-2009, 02:34 PM
-----------------
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,104 Posts

I ended up not being able to go and testify in person but it was read into the hearing. From the ones I have just attended they were very receprive and welcomed all that testified
Old 09-10-2009, 05:17 PM

Default Flyer for Distribution..........

Attached is a flyer I just sent my guy for posting at his facility or which they can copy and send out to other family members, who are not members of PTO, so they can write in support of these bills. The flyer will open and print from Adobe Acrobat.

One point I think we should try to make is that, if they pass these bills and make them retroactive, it will have a much quicker impact on the budget dificit than if they just make them effective whenever they finally pass.

This is just the beginning as the bills must be voted on by the full House of Representatives after they are approved by the House Judiciary Committee. If they pass the House, they will go to the Senate Judiciary Committee and the whole procedure is repeated. Only after they pass the Senate will the proposed bills be sent to the Governor for approval.

Anyway, I thought this flyer might generate more support through the facilities.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf good time bills.pdf (7.3 KB, 57 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dmpdbd For This Useful Post:
HOPE4FUTURE (09-10-2009), Lions Heart (09-15-2009), Troy'sfriend (09-10-2009)
Old 09-10-2009, 05:42 PM

Dmpdbd, Those are GREAT! The only thing that didn't print out was the email address so I will just print it in. Thank you so much! I am sending my guy 20 copies so he can pass them out to all the units and to individuals to send home to their family members.

Oh, I just noticed that none of the red print printed either in the last sentence or the date. Now I'm going to have to write all that in too. If anyone else is printing these out don't make the same mistake I did. Just print one and then write it in and go make copies.

Last edited by HOPE4FUTURE; 09-10-2009 at 05:58 PM..
Old 09-10-2009, 07:23 PM

Default All black print flyer for distribution

Hope asked me to redo this flyer without the colored ink. Sorry I didn't think about that as all my printers also use colors.

So, if you don't have a colored printer - use this one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf good time bills - all black print.pdf (7.2 KB, 50 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to dmpdbd For This Useful Post:
HOPE4FUTURE (09-10-2009)
Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM

I tried to post the links but since I don't have enough posts it won't let me. Just go to "capps - mi . org" (don't put the spaces in of course) and it's on the front page under NEW Capps study-there's a news release version (2pages) and the long version (81pages).
Old 09-10-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPE4FUTURE View Post
It would be good if anyone can provide the best short version of the report and also the stats of SO reports and anything else that would be useful. If you guys can send me things you think would be the most useful I could copy off enough copies to present to however many reps, etc present so they could all review the info.
This could get expensive for you. If you're thinking about sending copies ahead or taking them, find out how many you need. The 81 page version can be mailed for $8.00. Since this is your time, your paper, and your ink, I will be willing to send you a check to help you offset some of the cost. I'm just thanking GOD that you have stepped forward and are offering to do this. Whatever I am able to do to help, I most certainly will do.

God Bless You!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:49 PM

I guess the first step will be to get ahold of the administrative assistant like outraged said and get permission and ask her how many copies we may need. Then we'll work from there.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:28 AM

I'm still waiting to hear from the Administrative Assistant.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:07 PM

I get email updates about when the judiciary committee meets and what's on the agenda and this is the info I received this past Friday-if it is the same for every meeting, then 30 copies will be needed.

Standing Committee Meeting
Judiciary, Rep. Mark Meadows, Chair
Date: 09/16/2009
Time: 3:30 PM or after committees are given leave by the House to meet, whichever time is later.
Place: 521 House Office Building, Lansing, MI
Agenda:
HB 4913 (Knollenberg) Property tax; tax tribunal; informal settlement conference; require if requested by petitioner.
HB 5005 (Tyler) Vehicles; snowmobiles; operation of a snowmobile by certain individuals under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance; prohibit.
HB 5006 (Schuitmaker) Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; sentencing guidelines for operating snowmobile under influence of alcoholic liquor; revise to include operating with any amount of schedule 1 controlled substances in operator's body.
HB 5007 (Kandrevas) Vehicles; off-road; operation of an off-road vehicle by certain individuals under the influence of or visibly impaired by alcohol or a controlled substance; prohibit.
HB 5008 (Bledsoe) Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; sentencing guidelines for operating ORV under influence of alcoholic liquor; revise to include operating with any amount of schedule 1 controlled substances in operator's body.

Individuals who wish to bring written testimony need to supply a minimum of thirty copies for distribution.

Individuals needing special accommodations to participate in the meeting may contact the Chair's office.

Committee Clerk: Malika Abdur-Rashid
Phone: 517-373-7256
The Following User Says Thank You to Troy'sfriend For This Useful Post:
HOPE4FUTURE (09-13-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 06:31 PM

Good point Troy. I had PMed that same notice to Hope for her info about the number of copies but suggested input from the administrative assistant how best to proceed was a good idea also.

In addition to what Hope takes with her to the House Judiciary Meeting on October 7th, emails or snail mails to Mark Meadows, who is the Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, would also be helpful from anybody and everybody who supports the passage of House Bills 4497, 4498 and 4499. His email is: markmeadows@house.mi.gov and his snail mail is:

Mark S. Meadows
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514

If you haven't found it yet, elsewhere in this thread is a downloadable flyer you can print and send to your loved one for distribution to non-PTO members.

I think we need Hope to check back in with us and for her to let us know how she would like to collect support letters and other information to take with her to the October 7th meeting. Maybe somebody would even like to volunteer to go with her. Unfortunately, we are going to be shorthanded in the office that week, so I cannot go.

Last edited by dmpdbd; 09-13-2009 at 06:33 PM..
HOPE4FUTURE (09-13-2009)
Old 09-13-2009, 06:47 PM

I'm open for all suggestions, support, volunteers, etc. of how to go about this to get the most benefit for our loved ones. I think there has never been a better time for us to give our best effort to this cause. We definitely need more than just 4 or 5 of us participating. I know we have lost alot of the loved ones (PTO) recently through paroles but hopefully they can still come back and help us out a little and the new ones can get more involved. We don't have that much time to get things rolling. If I could get more response than we have right now I would get a po box for everyone to send their letters. Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:14 PM

Hope-I will help in any way I can, just let me know what I can do.

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle...but just a reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Old 09-14-2009, 07:27 AM

Hope - I hate to see you pay to get a po box. You could perhaps set up an email address in yahoo or hotmail or something that people could send attachments to or just write their message in the email for you to print out. They could pm you for the email address. Or, I would be willing to accept faxes at my work and then get them to you - again only through a pm would people get the fax number. Just thoughts................
HOPE4FUTURE (09-14-2009)
Old 09-14-2009, 08:20 AM

If you could do the faxes at your work that would be great! But, I'm looking to see alot more response of loved ones on here before I'm willing to even take this on. I don't want to go down there with only 4 or 5 people showing any commitment to this. This needs to be a big thing that we have all been waiting for. Don't you think?

I don't care so much if people can't show up because I understand work schedules but there have to at least a bombard of emails to all our reps to let them know there are a lot of people behind them. And alot of support letters to take with me.

Last edited by HOPE4FUTURE; 09-14-2009 at 09:06 AM..
Old 09-14-2009, 09:34 AM

I'll do faxes - no problem. Okay Ladies and Gents - start writing support letters. If you are going to fax a letter, please state so in the open forum and then ask Hope in a pm for the fax number.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:56 PM

I sent my boyfriend the address and e-mail of who to send support letters to. He passed it on to as many ppl as he could so they could call their loved ones who are not on PTO and have them send support letters/e-mails.
Let me know what I can do to help.

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle...but just a reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:29 PM
Pied Piper
Donation Award 

Thanked 12,587 Times in 3,621 Posts

Let me remind ALL Members of PTO's Policy on Activisim.

We are all for pushing for laws to be changed, or new laws to be passed. However PTO is here for Support, not lobbying or activisim.

We tolorate a small amount of activisim when done appropriately.

You may create one thread per Michigan issue.

You CANNOT mass PM or contact PTO members

You cannot post in multiple threads, or direct members to the thread regarding your issue.

You cannot force or push your opinion on others - simply post the information, answer questions, etc. No debating is allowed